Offensive and Defensive Rankings

BillsVet

In games from week 3 onward, we have averaged 21ppg. That is improvement. It is reasonable to exclude the first 2 games with Trent at QB, although you are free to blame Gailey for starting him.

That would be 20th overall, not great, but better. Also, we have outscored Carolina by 60 points.

Edited by HalftimeAdjustment

I like how everyone is attacking the OP for stating the facts.

Fact is, we aren't as good as we were last year.

Right, this is an easy evaluation to make seeing as how we've played the same teams, with the same rosters, under the same conditions, and that's how we know.

Throw out the 1st 2 games--which is reasonable, as we are measuring team improvement and the team has definitely improved since jettisoning Major Dumbass or Capt. Checkdown or whoever he was--and we average 21 points a game. A full 5 point/game improvement over last year.

That shows definite statistical improvement, and it correlates with what many of us sense about this team: it is improving on offense, and maybe eve on defense of late (a little. Maybe?).

Adding: somehow didn't see the post from Halftime saying exactly this. Sorry.

Edited by l< j

Do those points figures account for points scored off of turnovers (yeah, I already know the answer), whether the defense took it to the house themselves or if they set the offense up in FG range? This current defense doesn't force any turnovers at all.

Point matter more, though... unfortunately for us.

take out Trent Edwards 2 starts and recalculate the numbers and I think you will see the Bills in the top half of the league in offensive stats...

If the comment is about how Gailey hasn't made a difference I will say 2 things:

1) Take out the 2 starts by a guy who was clueless about how to run his system and just use Fitz's numbers....

2) If you watch the games and think there has been no difference you are either drunk or high or both.

Edited by matter2003

BillsVet is of course entitled to his opinion, but I think it is purblind. If you watch the games you cna see that there is much more life in the offense, with the potential for even more.

But a couple of things should be taken into account when looking at the state.

1) as has been said, the Bills are scoring 21 points per game since Trent was benched. Maybe Gailey should have figured he couldn't play sooner, but I give him high marks for getting it by game two of the season, and for acting decisively. From 8.5 points per game they have gone to 21 points per game, 5 more that what BillsVet said they were scoring last year.

2) Last year the defense generated a large number of turnovers. Even when they did not score directly, they shortened the field many times. This year the defense is among the lowest getting turnovers in the league. If they start getting any more turnovers at all, the offense we have now will be scoring much more often.

True, man...to me, Stevie is easily the biggest bright spot of the season. This guy could be a difference maker on this team for the next ten years. And what I like best is that we don't have to worry about him losing a step later in his career cuase he's already slow lol. He runs good routes and can create separation, and I love having a guy like that on the team. To take it a step further, if by some stroke of luck Easley becomes a legit deep threat, holy crap, we'll be set at wideout for years to come, even if we trade Lee. I'm probably wrong, cause I usually am, but I just have a feeling about Easley. I think the kid will be a player.

I really like our skill positions.

Lol!!!! Thanx so much for the laugh! God bless you! And I wish they would trade Lee Evans!

No doubt the D sucks its showing signs of slight improvement since the Ravens game but still the point stands. However if you just look with your eyes this team is offensively improved. Putting stats aside just look with your eyes you can see the offense is much better. Fitz has a command of his decisions and keeps a lot of plays alive. The O-line while still bad at least has a scheme they stick to (Less injuries also helps) which seems to help their performance a bit.

The O is better the D is a lot worse but the team has improved its play as the year has gone on which is a good thing if they can finish the season strong this team is going in the right direction.

For all the fan induced hysteria surrounging the hiring of Chan Gailey, Buffalo has not significantly improved on offense. It's worth noting that the 2009 Bills finished 28th in total points with 258, or 16.1 per game. In 2010, Buffalo ranks 29th with 164 points or 18.2 per game. It's an improvement, but not anything on par with what many felt would happen given an offensive minded HC. Or one with a 9th overall pick at RB who would add excitement with big plays to a bad team.

On defense, the results have been obviously poor as Buffalo has yielded 245 points through 9 games, or 27.2 per to rank 27th. Last season, they surrendered 325 points or 20.3 per game and ranked 19th. Someone will point out they're rebuilding and switched schemes, but it seems there's a built-in excuse every season about why the Bills aren't a playoff team.

N.B.: Points scored is not the only metric to measure success or failure, although one could argue points scored and points allowed are the most important. It's more symbolism than substance that offensively the team has succeeded. Defensively, well, they've regressed mightily. And, they're the only club ranked in the bottom 6 in offense and defense points scored/allowed rankings. Rebuilding ad infinitum.

Your point is telling truths, but do you not see that the Bills are a better team than last year? Our defense is doing really bad, but like someone else posted, it's the players that need replaced not the coach. Are stating this because you want to see Chan leave or be replaced??????

If that is the case, then why don't we pick Shannonhan from the skins?????????? Uh that's right they suck to with a new caoching staff and new footballl mentality. I'm not trying to pick at you but ask why are you posting this? Is your point that we suck or that you want a new coach or is it the players or what?

I for one BILLIEVE that Chan is the Man and will makeit happen. I think the good "OLD" boys from the south are in here to rebuild and make the Bills very competitive. Not this year or maybe not next, but within a few. I feel they have the mindset and will make it happen. Just think, we are just about 40yards off of having 4 wins this year and a different outlook. By far the Bills have been in most games this year and we might end up with 5-6 wins, ok 4-5. My point is that they are competitive and fight until the end. Not like Dallas who I'm glad to see suck worse. It was a well informed post, but no point or at least I didn't get it.

For all the fan induced hysteria surrounging the hiring of Chan Gailey, Buffalo has not significantly improved on offense. It's worth noting that the 2009 Bills finished 28th in total points with 258, or 16.1 per game. In 2010, Buffalo ranks 29th with 164 points or 18.2 per game. It's an improvement, but not anything on par with what many felt would happen given an offensive minded HC. Or one with a 9th overall pick at RB who would add excitement with big plays to a bad team.

On defense, the results have been obviously poor as Buffalo has yielded 245 points through 9 games, or 27.2 per to rank 27th. Last season, they surrendered 325 points or 20.3 per game and ranked 19th. Someone will point out they're rebuilding and switched schemes, but it seems there's a built-in excuse every season about why the Bills aren't a playoff team.

N.B.: Points scored is not the only metric to measure success or failure, although one could argue points scored and points allowed are the most important. It's more symbolism than substance that offensively the team has succeeded. Defensively, well, they've regressed mightily. And, they're the only club ranked in the bottom 6 in offense and defense points scored/allowed rankings. Rebuilding ad infinitum.

and we are about half way through. The offense is a lot better than last year - especially considering our average starting position last year and the number of turnovers they had especially the interceptions with a return. This year no turnovers and their kick returns are not close to what they were last year. The defense is getting better despite not having a pass rush or a pass rusher either from the D-line or LB's. Kyle Williams for all his accolades it STILL underated. This year is about developing and getting better finding a base to build from. Finding players on the current roster and Chan is doing that.

Edited by CardinalScotts

True, man...to me, Stevie is easily the biggest bright spot of the season. This guy could be a difference maker on this team for the next ten years. And what I like best is that we don't have to worry about him losing a step later in his career cuase he's already slow lol. He runs good routes and can create separation, and I love having a guy like that on the team. To take it a step further, if by some stroke of luck Easley becomes a legit deep threat, holy crap, we'll be set at wideout for years to come, even if we trade Lee. I'm probably wrong, cause I usually am, but I just have a feeling about Easley. I think the kid will be a player.

I really like our skill positions.

I was just about to say that. This kid Easley was supposed to some stud coming out of college. We haven't even seen him play. I haven't seen much if him but he very well could be a gamer. Let's hope he did his homework all year and is ready to tear things up in 2011. Although, if he doesn't turn out to be anything we have 3 good WRs and a solid 3rd down threat with Nelson now. I'm cnfident this group is the best since the Moulds/Price days.

Here is one thing you need to know.

Stats LIE.

The Bills have a good pass defense - Why? Because teams can run against them (or have through the first 8 games)

Someone just bragged to me that the Bills Lead the NFL in Red Zone scoring (which is great especially for a 1-8 team) - yet the Bills are one of the teams that have made it to the red zone the fewest times in the NFL.

What truth is that stat telling us? And what truth is it hiding?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Let us know how the numbers look this week. Thanks.

Let us know how the numbers look this week. Thanks.

With the way the Bills hung in and won this week, Billsvet is probably going to stay under his rock all week long. He won't slither out until after our next loss to tell us how right he is that the Bills suck.

Edited by Ramius