LASIK Eye Surgery in WNY

PTS

My eyes have been getting worse each year and it's gotten to the point where I've had enough. I hate wearing glasses or contacts and I am definitely considering LASIK surgery.

I know Fichte and Atwal are the two big players when it comes to this surgery. I'm sure a few of my fellow TBDers have had this surgery. Any recommendations?

I agree with what SDS is about to post.

:lol: - I do too, but still funny. :)

I believe Fichte is the doctor my grandmother went to for cataract surgery... And her eye is now 100x worse than before the surgery. :( She decided against letting anyone touch her other eye.

Not the same procedure, but always be careful with your eyes -- we can't replace them with robot eyes that have laser beams (yet).

I believe Fichte is the doctor my grandmother went to for cataract surgery... And her eye is now 100x worse than before the surgery. :( She decided against letting anyone touch her other eye.

Gee... he must have gone to the same school as my grandmothers eye doctor.

I agree with what SDS is about to post.

We are definitely due for a good Lasik thread. :lol:

I've always been torn about it, I know several people that have had it with no problems, but still don't think I'd ever do it. The daily hassle is pretty minimal and the risks, even if remote, are enormous.

Edited post;

my vision was terrible, i want to say it was worse than 20/400. If my glasses broke or lost/ripped a contact i was basically blind.

I had PRK done at a local provider that begins with an "A". only thing i didnt like about them is I didn't really feel like i got a ton of individual attention.

Had the procedure 3 years ago and and I am about 85-90% satisfied. The reason i don't give 100% is that my eyes are drier now and don't naturally re-wet themselves as easily (not really a big deal, its minor) and at night I have slight starburst with lights and dark blue/violet light signs are a little harder to read as well after the procedure.

Always use the cheapest lasix surgeon!

But seriously...

Claus Fichte was my eye doctor many years ago. He had a great reputation, was a very good guy and seemed to be a hell of a doctor. But he has really expanded his practice over the years, it seems. I wonder if Claus even does many of his practice's surgeries anymore.

Special Investigative Report on LASIK

Good Morning America 2/25/2010

youtube.com/watch?v=PDWH2Tye7dQ&feature=player_embedded

Just remember to hold out for the FOUR-slice toaster as your parting gift. Too many surgeons try and pawn off the two-slice with every major surgery and I call BS on that.

Wait...you mean there's risk involved with shining lasers into your eyes? :unsure:

I won't even buy new glasses, much less get eye surgery. Last thing I want to see clearly is this year's Bills...

We are definitely due for a good Lasik thread. :lol:

I've always been torn about it, I know several people that have had it with no problems, but still don't think I'd ever do it. The daily hassle is pretty minimal and the risks, even if remote, are enormous.

Exactly! Same here.

And I get free safety glasses at work.

Oh... Safety glasses have come a long way baby! Can't even tell the difference between regular anymore.

Edited post;

my vision was terrible, i want to say it was worse than 20/400. If my glasses broke or lost/ripped a contact i was basically blind.

I had PRK done at a local provider that begins with an "A". only thing i didnt like about them is I didn't really feel like i got a ton of individual attention.

Had the procedure 3 years ago and and I am about 85-90% satisfied. The reason i don't give 100% is that my eyes are drier now and don't naturally re-wet themselves as easily (not really a big deal, its minor) and at night I have slight starburst with lights and dark blue/violet light signs are a little harder to read as well after the procedure.

:ph34r:

So what you are basically saying is that if you lost your glasses... You couldn't tell the difference between the Koo-Aid and Flavor Aid.

:P

Wait...you mean there's risk involved with shining lasers into your eyes? :unsure:

I won't even buy new glasses, much less get eye surgery. Last thing I want to see clearly is this year's Bills...

:lol: :lol:

Not so much the Bills... But watching them in the Roger's Centre!

Special Investigative Report on LASIK

Good Morning America 2/25/2010

youtube.com/watch?v=PDWH2Tye7dQ&feature=player_embedded

Just remember to hold out for the FOUR-slice toaster as your parting gift. Too many surgeons try and pawn off the two-slice with every major surgery and I call BS on that.

TYFT. Out of curiosity, why are you so passionate about this topic?

TYFT. Out of curiosity, why are you so passionate about this topic?

because I don't believe the risks are adequately understood by those who want the procedure and I lay this blame at the feet of the "buy one surgery get one free" doctors...

I've made my opinion known in the past about how this risk has been soft-peddled and here we are in 2010 just learning that the FDA basically shrugged and discarded all the side effect data because they "didn't know what to do with it". :rolleyes:

I think every potential patient should be given a bottle of eye drops and asked to put them in their eyes every 20 minutes for a month before they get their surgery - just so they can appreciate how dry their eyes might become (after all their nerves are severed creating the corneal flap, of which 65% of the nerves may recover - best case scenario).

Then I would give them a pair of glasses to wear that gives them double vision and make them come back in another month.

because I don't believe the risks are adequately understood by those who want the procedure and I lay this blame at the feet of the "buy one surgery get one free" doctors...

I've made my opinion known in the past about how this risk has been soft-peddled and here we are in 2010 just learning that the FDA basically shrugged and discarded all the side effect data because they "didn't know what to do with it". :rolleyes:

I think every potential patient should be given a bottle of eye drops and asked to put them in their eyes every 20 minutes for a month before they get their surgery - just so they can appreciate how dry their eyes might become (after all their nerves are severed creating the corneal flap, of which 65% of the nerves may recover - best case scenario).

Then I would give them a pair of glasses to wear that gives them double vision and make them come back in another month.

SDS... If I recall, your professional field is in "optics" right?

Thanks for all the info... I hope it makes people to think twice!

I had it done. I figured it was worth the risk, but that's me. I was sick of wearing glasses. My eyes are no drier than they were before and I have a slight amount of astigmatism in my right eye, but have had none of the other problems.

When people ask me if I think they should have it, I tell them that they're taking a chance. And I went to a guy who had done thousands of procedures (I did get a discount based on my insurance). If you do it, do NOT go cheap.

I have been blind in my left eye for four years now, not from LASIK, but from trauma from an auto accident. It sucks. I've adjusted but I'll never really get used to it. I had considered getting it done years ago and now I'm very glad I did not as I'd be constantly worried about the long term effects to my remaining good eye. I'd strongly recommend to not screw around with your eyes unless absolutely necessary.

And as a public service side note, I've seen dozens of doctors over the years when I was trying to save my vision and more than a few told me one of the most common causes of eye trauma that they see is people getting hit in the eye with bungee cords snapping back on them. It's not an obvious situation for putting on the safety glasses but it should be.

A decade ago, I was certain I'd get LASIK some day because I didn't like the feel of contacts. But then I found a good optician who helped me find the best contacts for me. Now I barely feel them, they don't dry my eyes, and I don't lose them in my head when swimming. Plus (though I don't), I can sleep in them.

I would never get laser surgery today. The only reward would be not having to take 20 seconds a day to put in and take out my contacts.

The risks? Well, it's just your eyesight.

Plus you just look so damn stylish in those glasses, Scott. :D