Shawne Merriman's Potential Impact On The Buffalo Bills Is Signifi

I think he can significantly help the younger players understand the defense and their responsibilities @ the LB positions. Hopefully he can teach a thing or two to Maybin about rushing the passer.

I think he can significantly help the younger players understand the defense and their responsibilities @ the LB positions. Hopefully he can teach a thing or two to Maybin about rushing the passer.

Our current LB starters have been in the league for 4, 7, 8 and 9 years.

Merriman's impact will be that we will win 3-4 games this year instead of 1-2 and will extinguish our hopes of getting a franchise QB in the draft. As a result, we will roll with 4-7 wins for the next 5-6 years. I've heard of him though. Wonder if Russ had anything to do with this pick-up?

Edited by kas23

Our current LB starters have been in the league for 4, 7, 8 and 9 years.

True but they are used to playing 4-3 LBs, not 3-4, so he may be able to mentor our vets. We do have youth in Moates, and Maybin who hopefully can learn some things as well.

That being said I don't know much about Merriman as far as if he is that type of guy who will take a leadership/mentor type roll and share his experience with the rest of the guys.

Merriman's impact will be that we will win 3-4 games this year instead of 1-2 and will extinguish our hopes of getting a franchise QB in the draft. As a result, we will roll with 4-7 wins for the next 5-6 years. I've heard of him though. Wonder if Russ had anything to do with this pick-up?

Losers want to lose.

This is purely speculation but after watching the face and demeanor of Chan Gailey in press conferences every time someone brings up Maybin's name, I seriously doubt if he ever gets on the field again in Buffalo. Gailey either thinks that he is never going to develop into anything worthwhile or he doesn't like him in general.

...then again maybe Chan is just flat out annoyed at reporters asking about Maybin lol. I know I would be. Again, this is why I said it was purely my own speculation. 0:)

Edited by Van_phelaN1

I agree with the article. First off, Merriman isn't going to make the Bills any worse.

Second, one of the big things missing on this team is players who have used their elite talent to achieve success with a team. Torbor won the Superbowl but was a role player on that team. Stroud was once a great player but never won anything major (I think). And that's about it - the rest of the roster from top to bottom is mired in a culture of losing.

Those Charger teams, despite their playoff failures, were incredible, and Merriman was a huge part of that. Hopefully he can be a leader for the Bills and some of his "greatness" can rub off and raise the bar.

Worst case scenario...we wasted some money this year.

Best case scenario...he ressurects his career, decides he likes what he sees in Buffalo, signs an incentive laden contract, and is a long term solution at LB for this team.

Sure hoping for the latter.

Seriously? Advocating just throwing in the towel? What is tha rationale that picking 3 or 4 instead of 1 means the future is destroyed? Are third or fourth overall picks generally that much worse?

You dont need the number 1 pick to build a good team, You need to make the right pick at whatever spot you have.

Seriously? Advocating just throwing in the towel? What is tha rationale that picking 3 or 4 instead of 1 means the future is destroyed? Are third or fourth overall picks generally that much worse?

They may be if they don't have the surname Luck. Otherwise, I don't really see any can't miss or run-to-the-podium players in spot 2-5. As for "throwing in the towel", of course not. The Bills are fielding a very fun to watch team right now. One of the biggest reasons I watch football is for the entertainment value. Is winning more important to the fan than entertainment? If it was, then one could just skip watching the game and just check the score when it is finished. Sure, winning is great, but it's not the be-all, end-all for the fan. Which game would you chose to be in the stadium for; the Bills-Ravens game or a game where the bills beat Dallas 3-0.

You dont need the number 1 pick to build a good team, You need to make the right pick at whatever spot you have.

Assuming Luck declares, having the #1 pick would be very handy.

Maybe it's a generation thing. When I was younger, I had no prior exposure to the Bills before Kelly came. It was fun to watch Kelly. With him, you knew every game was winnable. Without him behind center, the Bills were an above-average team, but with him, they were elite. I want this feeling back.

Edited by kas23

Worst case scenario...we wasted some money this year.

Best case scenario...he ressurects his career, decides he likes what he sees in Buffalo, signs an incentive laden contract, and is a long term solution at LB for this team.

Sure hoping for the latter.

Most likely scenario: He begrudgingly plays here for the rest of the year, then after the last game of the year, he hops on the first plane out of town and never looks back.

Even T.O. liked Buffalo; he would have re-signed if a contract had been offered. It's silly to accept as a foregone conclusion that Merriman wants to be on the first bus out of town at the end of the year. As for a source indicating he "wasn't thrilled" to be headed here...what would you expect a player to say who has just been waived and picked up by the only winless team in the league..."yippee?"

Let's win him over.

They may be if they don't have the surname Luck. Otherwise, I don't really see any can't miss or run-to-the-podium players in spot 2-5.

Can't miss prospects,can't miss prospects, alright, AJ Green,Julio Jones,Akeem Ayers,Craig Heyward,Prince Amakumara,Da'Quan Bowers,Marcell Dareus,Adrian Clayborne,Nick Fairley, etc,etc. This upcoming draft is freaking loaded.