Shawne Merriman's Potential Impact On The Buffalo Bills Is Signifi

Even T.O. liked Buffalo; he would have re-signed if a contract had been offered. It's silly to accept as a foregone conclusion that Merriman wants to be on the first bus out of town at the end of the year. As for a source indicating he "wasn't thrilled" to be headed here...what would you expect a player to say who has just been waived and picked up by the only winless team in the league..."yippee?"

Let's win him over.

Lets not forget the fact that T.O. languished on the free agent market for months after Buffalo said no thanks.

Its not like teams were beating down his door to sign him.

Other teams were interested in claiming Merriman, and if he plays well, even more teams would be interested.

It would be nice to think the guy will play well and stay with the Bills, but realisticlly, the chances of that happening are low, IMO.

Losers want to lose.

Besides regardless of how well he plays this year it isn't going to have that big of an impact on the wins and losses of this team......

Shawn isn't going to have an effect on how well we play run defense which is still our biggest bane...I wondering right now who he replaces in the linebackers......what if it ends up being Kelsay? We just signed him to that locker room presense reward extension.

Lets not forget the fact that T.O. languished on the free agent market for months after Buffalo said no thanks.

Other teams were interested in claiming Merriman, and if he plays well, even more teams would be interested.

It would be nice to think the guy will play well and stay with the Bills, but realisticlly, the chances of that happening are low, IMO.

We could Franchise him after the season..... right? Get another year?

Merriman's impact will be that we will win 3-4 games this year instead of 1-2 and will extinguish our hopes of getting a franchise QB in the draft. As a result, we will roll with 4-7 wins for the next 5-6 years. I've heard of him though. Wonder if Russ had anything to do with this pick-up?

:lol:

DOOMED, we are DOOOOOMED, I say!!!!

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING....

would anyone be dissapointed if merriman showed maybin how to use steroids....just sayin....atleast we might get a few good years out of maybin before the league caught on to him. :ph34r:

What makes you think he isn't already using them? He's a defensive lineman in the NFL, what do you think the percentage is of D-lineman that DON'T juice is? I'm guessing it's pretty close to 99.99%

Maybe because the whole mentoring thing is a overrated old wives tale.

Where did Merriman garner a reputation for knowledge/studying/mentoring? He was a fast, powerful guy that ran as fast as he could towards the quarterback.

So all the Bills live in Buffalo? I legitimately think if the culture is getting better, we win a few, he is embraced and finds a role where he can succeed, and then we offer competitive contract....well we would at least be in the running. That's what I think. The idea "Shawne will never stay in Buffalo" is over blown. Guys play in lots of "bad" places and on a lot of bad teams...if he feels he can have a good career here and get paid what he's owed after a year that will weigh heavy on his mind come FA. Plus, if he tried to leave and had a big contract coming (unlikely) we could franchise him, then keep him or trade him (if you can trade a franchised player...probably not).

But like the article said, no point in this discuss until we see if he's good.