Shawne Merriman on waivers

Amstel

He is still young yet has very valuable game time experience. Roids or not those sack numbers are scary and even if he produces half as much, even a quater as much, he is an upgrade to what we already have. way more athletic too. Sign him and if he doesn't work out then drop him at the end of the year, i don't see any reason we wouldn't take a shot at him. There is still a lot of football left in him.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SD has a long history of offering a welcome mat to guys with questionable pasts.

It amazes me that people think that a good team like SD would cut a guy like this even if they thought he was still able still contribute. He's not any good. It's apparent to anyone who watches their games. He has no explosiveness anymore.

Edited by dave mcbride

SD has a long history of offering a welcome mat to guys with questionable pasts.

It amazes me that people think that a good team like SD would cut a guy like this even if they thought he was still able still contribute. He's not any good. It's apparent to anyone who watches their games. He has no explosiveness anymore.

The fact that San Diego IS a good team is exactly why they feel they CAN cut him. Their D is playing very well in his absence and they simply don't need him at this point. It's been done countless times over the years. Also, he just may be washed up. But he's young and may be worth a cursory look.

GO BILLS!!!

According to PFT if Merriman passes his physical he will be put on waivers today

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/02/shawne-merriman-set-to-join-randy-moss-on-waiver-wire/

maybe the reason we didnt put in a claim for Gibson is Nix knew Merriman was going to become available today (he surely must get info from the Chargers) and prefers to sign him?

Maybe its just a coincidence.... just thought I'd put it out there.....

Could you imagine the impact that Shawn Merriman and Randy Moss "could" make if the Bills were able to get both waived players? Maybe it wouldn't work out, but it's probably a pipe dream with Mr. Wilson having closed zippers on his pants!!

But, I bet you could get a draft pick for each player at the season's conclusion and that would really go a long way to help our "draft our future mentality"...Think about it??????

Could you imagine the impact that Shawn Merriman and Randy Moss "could" make if the Bills were able to get both waived players? Maybe it wouldn't work out, but it's probably a pipe dream with Mr. Wilson having closed zippers on his pants!!

But, I bet you could get a draft pick for each player at the season's conclusion and that would really go a long way to help our "draft our future mentality"...Think about it??????

No, you couldn't as both are free agents at season's conclusion.

Ah, Merriman... 12th overall pick in 2005 (Maybin was 11th overall in 2009)... Had 6 sacks in his first 4 starts, was a pro bowler and rookie of the year that year. Led the NFL in sacks the next year with 17. And, yet, we still talk about Maybin's potential and quick first step while he sits on the bench and collects his millions...

On another note, Merriman has been hurt for the better part of the past 2.5 seasons. It is not clear whether he is "done" or just hasn't been healthy enough to show that he still has it. I think he is definitely worth a look. I think the injuries, the fact that the Chargers already have good players at OLB, and the off the field stuff (Tila Tequila, etc.) led the Chargers to give up on him. But since the Bills have no talent at OLB and Shawne is still relatively young, I don't see why it would hurt to give him a look.

The worst that happens is that he bombs magnificently in Buffalo and goes away at the end of the season.

Very true. They need to give all the snaps to Moats/Maybin when active/Coleman at this point in the season. No reason to keep playing Torbor and Co.

I really don't see any negatives to why we shouldn't claim him. He's still young and still has something to prove to the doubters. The absolute worst case scenario is that he comes in, plays like utter crap and gets let go at the end of the season. Best case scenario is he comes in, plays like an animal while mentoring our younger players.

He is Clark Kent without his Roids ... No Thx

It can't be any worse than Mcargo , Maybin ,& others sitting on the bench & getting paid -- nothing ventured nothing gained !!

Plus if you prorate his contract the season is half over so instead of $3.2 mil it would be $1.6 which if you release a guy off of the team it may be worth it unless there is something to do with the draft that we wouldn't get the extra pick for signing some one off waivers , not sure how that works ??

But the Bills have done a lot dumber things like let Dochery go in in FA and not trying to sign him before , so i'm just saying !! Why not ???

The biggest problem with him is he's been injured a lot the past couple of years. So the Bills have to wonder if he's worth it financially.

As a fan, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't go for him. But I wouldn't be pissed if we passed on him.

We've got so many holes to fill on this team, especially linebacker, here's a guy who's still young and has done some good things in the past. It is just wrong for the Bills NOT to take a chance on this guy. Cut him if he sucks, he may leave anyways but why not take a chance?

Not a chance this happens. Zero. Our receiving corps is a strength, not a problem, so Moss won't be coming here. The only way we would get a draft pick for Merriman is if he got picked up by the Bills and averaged a sack a game the rest of the way. I think he's worth giving a shot (he couldn't be worse than Kelsay), but to hope for any sort of return for him in the form of a draft pick is completely unrealistic.