With the first pick in the 2011 draft the Bills select....

DC Grid

...Gabe Carimi, OT, University of Wisconsin. Mark it down. I know it might not be the most popular pick, but with Luck likely staying in school another year this will be the Bills pick assuming Nix and Co aren't trying to "major league" their way out of town. He's a stud LT who would instantly lock down a huge hole on the roster and give the Bills a fundamental building block. No Qb besides Luck looks worth a pick in the top half of the first round, so going with the second highest need is the ONLY move. On the bright side, given their current play it is almost a lock that the Bills, if they have the number one overall pick, could get a booked OT and still draft either Locker or Mallet at the top of round 2. I'm not saying Carimi is the next Joe Thomas, but there's a good chance he could be the next Michael Oher, which would be a dream come true for the Bills.

Edited by DC Grid

...Gabe Carimi, OT, University of Wisconsin. Mark it down. I know it might not be the most popular pick, but with Luck likely staying in school another year this will be the Bills pick assuming Nix and Co aren't trying to "major league" their way out of town. He's a stud LT who would instantly lock down a huge hole on the roster and give the Bills a fundamental building block. No Qb besides Luck looks worth a pick in the top half of the first round, so going with the second highest need is the ONLY move. On the bright side, given their current play it is almost a lock that the Bills, if they have the number one overall pick, could get a booked OT and still draft either Locker or Mallet at the top of round 2. I'm not saying Carimi is the next Joe Thomas, but there's a good chance he could be the next Michael Oher, which would be a dream come true for the Bills.

The only position that would be acceptable for the Bills to pass on choosing a "franchise" QB in the 1st round next year in my mind is choosing a "franchise" LT. And that's only if they get a QB with the first 2nd round pick or trade back into the 1st. If the "sure-thing" first pick in the draft isn't one of those two positions than we should trade down and get more picks. That is my humble and honest opinion.

I swear if we spend another first round pick on our defensive secondary I am going to vomit.

Edited by Jay4481

Nothing earth-shattering there - several knowledgeable TSW posters - and me - have been calling for Carimi since before the season started (IOW, before it became obvious that the Bills would tank so badly and might just have a shot at a 'franchise QB' in the 2011 draft).

Carimi's a stud - best LEFT tackle available - will be better than Oher, IMHO. Right now, I'd say the Bills should do what it takes to put themselves in position to draft both Carimi AND Ryan Mallett.

But April's a long way off, and a lot can change between now and the draft.

Forget drafting aa QB, we need to go after Vick when he becomes a FA @ year's end. We then could afford to draft an OT that will take some time to develope during the season. Let's see how Bell handles Suggs today because he hasn't been that bad this year IMO. We may just need a RT and be able to use our 1st on the best available defensive player in the draft or even possibly trade back with a team that wants a QB.

Forget drafting aa QB, we need to go after Vick when he becomes a FA @ year's end. We then could afford to draft an OT that will take some time to develope during the season. Let's see how Bell handles Suggs today because he hasn't been that bad this year IMO. We may just need a RT and be able to use our 1st on the best available defensive player in the draft or even possibly trade back with a team that wants a QB.

Getting Vick would solve a lot of problems.

I like the pick. Buddy is going to take the sure thing and this guy is pretty good. I like Mallet too but I recall Buddy being quoted as saying the team needs to get bigger and stronger on both sides of the ball so I think Carimi is a good start. That said there is a lot of football left and we need help multiple places so who knows.

The only position that would be acceptable for the Bills to pass on choosing a "franchise" QB in the 1st round next year in my mind is choosing a "franchise" LT. And that's only if they get a QB with the first 2nd round pick or trade back into the 1st. If the "sure-thing" first pick in the draft isn't one of those two positions than we should trade down and get more picks. That is my humble and honest opinion.

I swear if we spend another first round pick on our defensive secondary I am going to vomit.

Think about it this way. A team can't trade down just because they want to. They need a partner and a player who the other team believes is worth giving up the bounty they

would have to give up to get the Bills spot. The Bills spot looks like it will be in the top 5. If the Bills don't think there is a player available at that spot at either of those two positions who they are confident in there's a good chance other teams might feel the same way. Which makes trading down near impossible.

Personally, I think it would be good for them to trade down even if Luck and Locker are there and they look good in workouts. The Bills have too many holes to fill to have one pick per round. A team probably would trade up to get one of those guys if they perform well leading up to the draft. In that scenario the Bills could probably get several picks/young players to rebuild with and that would be a good thing if people are serious about seeing them rebuild more quickly. Get that extra 2nd & 3rd this year, a couple picks next year and a young player with upside. A QB alone won't do it. This draft could be very deep with good QB prospects and some might be available in the 12- 20 range for the Bills to pick.

As far as DB I understand why you say that, but don't rule it out and don't forget this: McGee is turning 30 soon. He will be the nickel back. Florence will be over 30. Youboty and Corner are nickel backs, not starters. The only young DB with star athleticism and potential is McKelvin. He will need a running mate on the other side sooner than later. That's just the way it is. If they draft a Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara that wouldn't be a bad thing. Both of those guys are over 6 feet and solidly built with great speed. You wouldn't want that in the Bills secondary? BPA with a history of production is Nix' draft strategy. It could happen.

LT would help this team infititely now then drafting a QB. I am so sick of drafting busts in the first round. Fitzpatrick is servicable at QB. Bell at LT is not

I don't think Bell is as bad as you make him out to be, but he would be a much better player at RT. But you never ever pass on a franchise QB for any position. I love Fitz and he can be the backup and occasional starter for the rest of his career here. But I don't see him leading us to the playoffs.

Unless one of these tackles is Anthony Munoz or Orlando Pace (I don't really watch the line so I don't know) and there is no franchise QB there, you simply can't pass on a QB.

It's funny you should say about the defensive secondary as I was thinking while reading your post that the Bills will probably squander their first round pick with a CB or Safety or something like that and tag him as "the best player on the board". I hate that mentality, but the Bills (Nix) is a firm believer and that methology as proven last year by selecting C.J. Spiller.

It is ironic a year into this regime and our two top priorities remain the same! QB and OLT. We were all talking the exact same thing in the first round. Bills fans were talking about Bulaga, Trent Williams, Claussen, and a few others!

I almost lost it when they selected a RB. Isn't ironic that C.J. Spiller actually helped cost us this game today with his key fumble in our own end which led to a Ravens TD.

I am covering several of my thoughts in one post and a little off the topic, but I was really proud of the Bills offense in general and the coaches designed a good "non conservative" game plan. I really think that Ryan Fitzpatrick is getting better with experience and am interested to see what he can achieve by years end. He's passer rating is over 100 so far this season which is better than Jim Kelly's rating for his career! I still would draft a QB high in the draft and work him in next year (if there isn't a lockout)..dependent on Fitzpatrick's performance!

It just goes to show everyone that it really was Trent Edwards that was a big part of the offensive problems. Not the only problem, but a big part of it! They still need to address the offensive line, but Fitzpatrick functioned well, even with a less than average o line...Evans and Stevie Johnson are both capable...Their production out of the TE positon is still weak..and it will be interesting to see if Shawn Nelson develpos or not, and if they utilize the positon in the future the way that most teams do.

One thing is clear though...a QB is a vital position on offense and when a QB takes control, and plays well..the whole offense looks better! Thank God Edwards is gone!!!!!!!!!

The next thing that would make me very happy is if Donte Whitner was gone, and also Tom Modrak! But at least we got rid of T. Edwards, James Hardy, M. Lynch, and a few others! Addittion by subtraction!!

GO Billz!

LT would help this team infititely now then drafting a QB. I am so sick of drafting busts in the first round. Fitzpatrick is servicable at QB. Bell at LT is not

I was just curious if you had chosen to reevaluate your opinion of D. Bell after todays game Pete.

Suggs was invisible.

either

We take Luck

or

We trade with another team that covets Luck badly....aquire picks....maybe move even trade down again but not out of the top 10 and aquire even more picks then get a stud OLB.

You know we might take Luck even if if Fitz is playing well.....just because Luck as the potential to be that good.

Nothing earth-shattering there - several knowledgeable TSW posters - and me - have been calling for Carimi since before the season started (IOW, before it became obvious that the Bills would tank so badly and might just have a shot at a 'franchise QB' in the 2011 draft).

Carimi's a stud - best LEFT tackle available - will be better than Oher, IMHO. Right now, I'd say the Bills should do what it takes to put themselves in position to draft both Carimi AND Ryan Mallett.

But April's a long way off, and a lot can change between now and the draft.

If they draft Mallett they will need great linemen because Mallett cannot get out of his own way. Personnally I like luck, Lockett or Cameron better than Mallett.

If they draft Mallett they will need great linemen because Mallett cannot get out of his own way. Personnally I like luck, Lockett or Cameron better than Mallett.

I think it was Criqui that said, during today's broadcast, that Fitzpatrick is a more accurate passer than Locker - then went on to express incredulity that Locker is still rated to go so high in the draft. I'd have to agree - Locker will be last until round 3, at least.

I was just curious if you had chosen to reevaluate your opinion of D. Bell after todays game Pete.

Suggs was invisible.

either

We take Luck

or

We trade with another team that covets Luck badly....aquire picks....maybe move even trade down again but not out of the top 10 and aquire even more picks then get a stud OLB.

You know we might take Luck even if if Fitz is playing well.....just because Luck as the potential to be that good.

I've been strongly in favor of finding out what, if anything, Brohm has but Fitzie has got me second guessing. He still has his set backs but he makes things happen. A buddy of mine is a Trent fan all the way and claims it was all on the Oline, but Fitz just shredded a very good D, on the road behind, that same line!