Bills have 1st crack at Merriman.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasnt played well in 3 YEARS. We're not talking about a single down season. Ever since he got caught juicing, his numbers have sucked.

I dont know for sure that he is any better than what we already have.

Whether or not Nix/Whaley even call him for a look-see will be quite telling. If Nix does not even want the medical staff to see him, we can be rest assured the guy is shot. If however things check out, I wouldn't mind having him even as a stop-gap measure. He is not old in terms of calendar age and we should still get a couple of years out of him which will be great till we get better LBs.

Whether or not Nix/Whaley even call him for a look-see will be quite telling. If Nix does not even want the medical staff to see him, we can be rest assured the guy is shot. If however things check out, I wouldn't mind having him even as a stop-gap measure. He is not old in terms of calendar age and we should still get a couple of years out of him which will be great till we get better LBs.

On the pre game show yesterday they said he doesn't want to come here. If he is waived he would have to come here if we claimed him. If he is an unrestricted free agent he can pick his team. I think it was Dungee that said it.

Lol at the people who don't think we should sign him. We need at least 3 new LBs. Cant hurt to see what hes got going into next years training camp. If he sucks, cut him. If he's better than what we have, it's a good pick up

On the pre game show yesterday they said he doesn't want to come here. If he is waived he would have to come here if we claimed him. If he is an unrestricted free agent he can pick his team. I think it was Dungee that said it.

He would have to pass through waivers to become a free agent.

With Buddy Nix in Buffalo I find it hard to believe he would not want to come here.

Buffalo should reward him with an extended contract AFTER a physical.

He hasnt played well in 3 YEARS. We're not talking about a single down season. Ever since he got caught juicing, his numbers have sucked.

I dont know for sure that he is any better than what we already have.

I would give it a shot,if it doesn't work out then waive

Assuming he's got something left picking him up would eliminate one immediate position of need. I'm thinking in terms of next season. The reality is Merriman isn't going to be thrilled to come to the Bills (and its nothing about the Bills in particular) simply because players in his situation prefer to go to a contender rather than a rebuilding environment.

To win him over, Nix/Whaley/Gailey will need to convince him they're serious about building a winner over the next couple seasons. If he buys into the program and comes on board that would give off a pretty good signal of confidence from the inside to me.

That said my expectation is the Bills will pass on Merriman and he'll likely land somewhere else seeing situational duty on an already good defense.

Surprise me Buddy!!

This defense has no playmakers. If Satan himself could make some plays for this team, I would sign his hot, red ass.

But Satan doesn't play defense ... he really only gets empty net goals ... that's why the Sabres let him go.

If the Bills think they cannot sell out the next few home games, you may actually see Merriman signed. Ralph will never spend money to improve the quality of the team, but he will do what it takes to get fans to buy tickets. Eagles will need to trade one of the two QBs soon. If the Bills pick up an Eagles QB, in addition to Merriman, I think fans will start coming out again.

I get the part about 3 yrs since he dominated his position, but I also understand that he was injured for a significant portion of that time, and he's young. Is it inconceivable that he could rebound, and is it really that big of a risk to bring him in for the rest of the season and see what he's got?

What's to lose?

If the Bills think they cannot sell out the next few home games, you may actually see Merriman signed. Ralph will never spend money to improve the quality of the team, but he will do what it takes to get fans to buy tickets. Eagles will need to trade one of the two QBs soon. If the Bills pick up an Eagles QB, in addition to Merriman, I think fans will start coming out again.

The Eagles got Vick for nothing, they can let him go in free agency for nothing. They're in the playoff hunt, so unless they get a 1st, 2nd or early 3rd rounder offered for one of their QBs, there is no need to trade Vick or Kolb...really Vick. Kolb may have won the job back yesterday.