Bills have 1st crack at Merriman.

Let was released because of a health issue as well. It always seemed that LT was standing on the sidelines injured for the big game. It got to be very frustrating to see year after year.

I completely agree. And, that, is my point. Numerous posters here have said that Merriman is washed up and always injured. That's exactly what I, and many others, thought about LT when the Jets signed him. Well, how smart do the Jets look now for picking up the often injured, washed up LT? I'm not saying Merriman would experience a similar resurgence here. I'm merely suggesting that given the state of out LBs; it's a no brainer decision to bring him in and see.

Edited by Dan

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you people who think the Bills have "nothing to lose" or "this is a no-brainer" have no idea what you are talking about!

How do you think the Bills got in this mess? Bad drafts and signing over the hill overpaid free agents!

Let's keep making the same mistakes over and over again and expect different results. Insanity!

WE ARE IN FREAKIN LAST PLACE,SOME OTHER TEAM WILL CLAIM MERRIMAN. WE CAN"T STOP THE RUN AND NOW YOU GUYS WOULD RATHER PASS....unbelieveable

First it was the dogs with Vick and NOW Merriman is a has been..... :thumbsup:

WE ARE NOW PICKY ON WHOM SHOULD WEAR A BUFFALO UNIFORM :wallbash:

Welcome to the so-called (insert sarcasm)righteous Buffalonian...I AGREE TOTALLY WITH YOU HERE. TRUELY AMAZING...LMAO

Why shouldn't we be picky? Just because we aren't good doesn't mean you sign every "I hope he can be good". When you're not picky you end up with Cornell Green. So yes, we should be picky.

We should be picky with:

1) Taking playing time away from promising young players who we feel have a chance to be good (Brohm? Maybin? Spiller!) And any moves to the contrary aren't good. But we aren't stacked at LB who are going to be future stars so this doesn't go against that for me.

2) Wasting money if it is a lot of money or if it will make Ralph spend less elsewhere in the future. I don't see this as that either.

3) Bringing in player who don't add anything AND don't have a future. I think Merriman likely adds something to this team, and it was controversial to cut him from the stacked SD team.

Any move has to either make us better in 2010 without compromising the future, OR make us a little worse in 2010 and make us stronger in 2011+.

I don't know how the process works on waivers vs. him being free, etc. But I think he makes us better in 2010 without making us worse in 2011. So I am fine with this.

All you people who think the Bills have "nothing to lose" or "this is a no-brainer" have no idea what you are talking about!

How do you think the Bills got in this mess? Bad drafts and signing over the hill overpaid free agents!

Let's keep making the same mistakes over and over again and expect different results. Insanity!

I'm sorry, but this is just dumb. Yes, giving long term mega deals to has beens is detrimental to an organization. Dropping $2-3 million for a year to bring on a 26 yr old former pro-bowler to see if he can return to form is a far cry from that. I realize you may have a different take, but to call it "insanity" is !@#$ing retarded.

What's your master plan, genius. Draft, all draft, and nothing but the draft? :thumbsup:

he's gonna be waived, meaning that the Bills and 49ers get first crack to assume his contract. So I would not be against a 3 million dollar contract for a guy that is a former pro-bowl player at 26. If he does well you extend him, if he sucks, you let his contract expire at the end of the year. Simple, and is likely better than Kelsay

Perhaps he's just a washed up as LT was before he signed with the Jets? Injuries and a bad situation and can go a long way to making someone a has been

Bottom line: He'd be the best LB on this team the day they signed him. As was mentioned, "It would be nice to see Nix and Co. actually make a move that might add a little to the team..." Would he return to form and be a great player? Who knows. But, there's little doubt he could out preform the likes of Kelsay and Ellison and Moats and whoever else we have running around back there pretending to be busy while the RB runs past them.

How dare you bring logic to the discussion!!

Haven't you read everyone's posts that Merriman hasn't been good since he was caught juicing?? :doh:

Yes, he did have 12.5 sacks the year after he was caught using steroids, but without the steroid argument how else can I come up with a reason why the Bills shouldn't claim him??

Oh yea that's right....he is washed up from all of his injuries....yea I'll use that. If you really need proof just take a look at his stats from last year: 4 sacks in 14 games.

I realize that he was hobbled by minor injuries the whole year but come on, only 4 sacks is pathetic. Oh wait....the only LBs with any sacks on our team are Poz and Scott with one each....damn.

Sarcasm off.

Realistically, the biggest weakness on this team is our lack of threat off the edge. I haven't been a fan of the play calling on D so far, but I don't think Edwards has any other options until we can get some pressure out of our 3-4 package.

The Bills play a base 3-4 and get abused in the pass game because they can't get any pressure on the QB. The Bills then switch to a nickel package and get abused in the run game because they don't have the size they need on the field. The Bills then switch to a "big" nickel package and still get abused because they have even more guys playing out of position then in the 3-4.

Now I know that many of you will claim that a rush linebacker has no effect on the run, but just here me out. When you have a player like Clay Matthews, Demarcus Ware, or James Harrison at OLB, they disrupt entire offensive game plans. Not just passing plays. I realize that Merriman is not playing at the level of any of the aforementioned players, however, I believe that with a year of rest and rehabilitation he can come close to being the player he was before the knee injury.

My biggest concern is his contract. If Merriman truly believes that he is worth top pass rusher money then you don't bring him on. However, If the Bills could sign him for around $3-4 million per with an incentive laden contract, you have to make that move. Not to mention the chip he will have on his shoulder if no teams offer him top money (which they won't).

Edited by DaBills51

What exactly to they lose by brining him in and seeing what he's got left this year? If there's nothing left in the tank you let him go. It's not like the team is going anywhere this year, it's strictly a talent evaluation year and Merriman is a guy who could be evaluated and if he's healthy could be a huge payoff for the Bills. If not, release him and move on.

Waste of money. His contract is up at the end of the year. It would take a miracle of epic proportions for him to want to be here against his will. He's already been throwing out the names of teams that he WANTS to play for...Buffalo ain't one of them.

Waste of money. His contract is up at the end of the year. It would take a miracle of epic proportions for him to want to be here against his will. He's already been throwing out the names of teams that he WANTS to play for...Buffalo ain't one of them.

Outside of Kelsay, Green, Ellison, and perhaps Billy Buffalo is there anyone that really wants to be here?

Outside of Kelsay, Green, Ellison, and perhaps Billy Buffalo is there anyone that really wants to be here?

Buddy and Chan do, because nobody else wants them.

I find it interesting fans will pay 50 mil for a rookie QB than complain about 3.6 mil for a proven leader LB

Give up the communion money guys

Are you Ralphie Wilson in disguise? Now you want the fans to pay the huge salaries? Money, Money, Money!

He will never be healthy again. He's never going to give you close to 16 games of performance at this point in his career. Sure he's young, but the massive amount of steroids he did in such a short time...tacked on a few chemical years of wear and tear on the joints in his body.

It amuses me that those that want Merriman badly do not want Burgess or Thomas.

people who are saying 'we're terrible at stopping the run! bring him in!' need to realize that merriman never was really a run stopper.. he's a pass rusher.

that being said, i'd say absolutely bring him in to see what he's got left.