Bills have 1st crack at Merriman.

Satan drinks babies blood.

If he can stop the run, who cares what he drinks?

There is absolutely nothing to lose signing him. Except of course he helps us win a game and it drops us down in the draft order. Totally discouraging for those rooters of the number 1 pick, a theory I do not subscribe to.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so desperate for some excitement from the Bills, my heart says sign him. My head is having second thoughts, since it seems he has never been the same after coming back from missing pretty much an entire season. On top of that, isn't he another Lynch and only one strike away from being suspended for a whole season? Who knows, would be nice to see Nix and Co. actually make a move that might add a little to the team instead of just making moves that take away from this already talent depleted roster.

I get the part about 3 yrs since he dominated his position, but I also understand that he was injured for a significant portion of that time, and he's young. Is it inconceivable that he could rebound, and is it really that big of a risk to bring him in for the rest of the season and see what he's got?

What's to lose?

Realistically --

The season AFTER the suspension, he got 12.5 sacks, the season after that he only played one game, so wash that out, and coming off a year long injury (that typically takes 2 years to regain explosive play) he posted 4 sacks. This year he hasnt played.

I see injuries, but im not seeing the "slump"

Buddy was in San Diego when they drafted him...so I am sure they know what is up with Merriman.

If he is healthy after San Diego releases him why not give him a shot...I mean he is a pass rusher something we REALLY need.

He may not help to much this year but next year he will be cleaned up and healthy hopefully.

Get R done Buddy...that is if you want to help the pass rush.

Some Bills fans are so desperate not to have any good players on the team that it is frankly quite sad.

The same people who advocate passing on potential franchise quarterbacks will caution against taking a flyer on a young player in his physical prime (injuries aside) who was one of the best players in the league at a position that we are the literal worst at.

3.6 million dollars! Oh my god, we can't pay that much! That is like, so many Double Cheeseburgers worth of monies! People act like it's coming out of their wallets or something, instead of off the bottom line of a team that rakes in the dollars and is desperate to compete.

Kelsay at 24m over 4 years or Merriman for a pro-rated 3.6m on a flyer.

What are you people thinking?

Edit: I do doubt, however, that anyone in the front office of this organization knows enough about the waiver wire to get this done. Transactions probably are processed during Buddy's nap time.

Edited by akm0404

Some Bills fans are so desperate not to have any good players on the team that it is frankly quite sad.

The same people who advocate passing on potential franchise quarterbacks will caution against taking a flyer on a young player in his physical prime (injuries aside) who was one of the best players in the league at a position that we are the literal worst at.

3.6 million dollars! Oh my god, we can't pay that much! That is like, so many Double Cheeseburgers worth of monies! People act like it's coming out of their wallets or something, instead of off the bottom line of a team that rakes in the dollars and is desperate to compete.

Kelsay at 24m over 4 years or Merriman for a pro-rated 3.6m on a flyer.

What are you people thinking?

Edit: I do doubt, however, that anyone in the front office of this organization knows enough about the waiver wire to get this done. Transactions probably are processed during Buddy's nap time.

I find it interesting fans will pay 50 mil for a rookie QB than complain about 3.6 mil for a proven leader LB

Give up the communion money guys

I find it interesting fans will pay 50 mil for a rookie QB than complain about 3.6 mil for a proven leader LB

Well, to be fair, ANY player selected #1 overall in the NFL draft is going to command that salary, whether it be a QB, an OL, a DE, etc.

People need to remember that NFL draft picks have their salaries slotted in, and are a function of their position drafted, the contracts of players signed before/after them, and the salaries granted to players in the previous season. There may be a very minor premium placed on a quarterback because it is such a vitally important position (go figure, right?), but the #1 pick in the draft is going to get that money no matter what position he plays.

But yeah, it is obvious that not signing Merriman = business as usual. And since our front office has been run by the same folks promoted from within for the last decade, this shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Outside of his sack numbers for his 1st 3 years... His other stats are mediocre at best.

He's only averaged 3.9 tackles per game in his career... His best season for tackles (2007), he averaged just 4.5 tackles per game.

Now... you wanna compare those numbers to our admittedly putrid LB's?

Kelsay's avereaged the same 3.9 tackles per game over his career... He's averaging 6 tackles per game this season!

Outside of his sack numbers for his 1st 3 years... His other stats are mediocre at best.

He's only averaged 3.9 tackles per game in his career... His best season for tackles (2007), he averaged just 4.5 tackles per game.

Kelsay's avereaged the same 3.9 tackles per game over his career... He's averaging 6 tackles per game this season!

So your saying Kelsay is better than Merriman? Thats laughable, we need to bring him in and see if he can help this sorry assed bunch of sissy LB's. Dont forget that SD's defense was rated #1 or #2 this year, Merriman is playing with a much better crew of guys making tackles. Merriman will be coming into a piss poor group of LB's and DL's and he will be the big fish in a small pond and making lots of tackles. Can he stay healthy is the bigger question.

So your saying Kelsay is better than Merriman? Thats laughable, we need to bring him in and see if he can help this sorry assed bunch of sissy LB's. Dont forget that SD's defense was rated #1 or #2 this year, Merriman is playing with a much better crew of guys making tackles. Merriman will be coming into a piss poor group of LB's and DL's and he will be the big fish in a small pond and making lots of tackles. Can he stay healthy is the bigger question.

We don't need to over use Merrimen, we have time.

Perhaps he's just a washed up as LT was before he signed with the Jets? Injuries and a bad situation and can go a long way to making someone a has been

Bottom line: He'd be the best LB on this team the day they signed him. As was mentioned, "It would be nice to see Nix and Co. actually make a move that might add a little to the team..." Would he return to form and be a great player? Who knows. But, there's little doubt he could out preform the likes of Kelsay and Ellison and Moats and whoever else we have running around back there pretending to be busy while the RB runs past them.

Living in San Diego, and being a Bills fan, I hope the Bills don't walk away from Merriman, they better RUN, if Lights Out can't stay healthy in 72 degrees and sunny, how is he going to deal with a dose of Western NY winter. AJ didn't cut this guy for no reason? Think about it! :thumbdown:

But, but...we heard of him.

PTR

You guys just don't get it... this team doesn't want to win... they don't want to pay anyone a high salary unless they are a fan / owner favorite and a true superstar player, and even then they might not.

They wanna build cheap and slow, as long as fans keep buying tickets whats the incentive to produce a winner?

You guys just don't get it... this team doesn't want to win... they don't want to pay anyone a high salary unless they are a fan / owner favorite and a true superstar player, and even then they might not.

They wanna build cheap and slow, as long as fans keep buying tickets whats the incentive to produce a winner?

Here we go!

The fans buying tickets are at fault. :unsure:

We are running out of scapegoats.......

Edited by Another Point of View

Perhaps he's just a washed up as LT was before he signed with the Jets? Injuries and a bad situation and can go a long way to making someone a has been

Bottom line: He'd be the best LB on this team the day they signed him. As was mentioned, "It would be nice to see Nix and Co. actually make a move that might add a little to the team..." Would he return to form and be a great player? Who knows. But, there's little doubt he could out preform the likes of Kelsay and Ellison and Moats and whoever else we have running around back there pretending to be busy while the RB runs past them.

Let was released because of a health issue as well. It always seemed that LT was standing on the sidelines injured for the big game. It got to be very frustrating to see year after year.

Why shouldn't we be picky? Just because we aren't good doesn't mean you sign every "I hope he can be good". When you're not picky you end up with Cornell Green. So yes, we should be picky.

You take any player that is an upgrade and can bring something to the team. At worst, this guy would be great for depth/rotation. you bring the guy in.

Tackles are a garbage statistic. If teams run away from you or your team forces a lot of 3 and outs you're not going to have as many tackles as say, a Chris Kelsay, whose D is on the field all day, therefore racks up tackles.

The 98 Buffalo D that was #1 in the league didn't send one player to the pro-bowl, and no one had great stats, because they got teams off the field fast (and Flutie and crew were good at eating clock).

Living in San Diego, and being a Bills fan, I hope the Bills don't walk away from Merriman, they better RUN, if Lights Out can't stay healthy in 72 degrees and sunny, how is he going to deal with a dose of Western NY winter. AJ didn't cut this guy for no reason? Think about it! :thumbdown:

Just like LT huh? I would have the medical staff check this guy out thoroughly to see what is going on. He definately could help if he can stay healthy. Maybe he needs the change of scenery and a chip on his shoulder.