For Out of Town Bills Fans

Metal Man

I have been out of the Buffalo are for almost 6 years now but until then grew up a Bills fan and have it deeply ingrained into who I am.

Over that time I always would get a lot of grief from everyone about how crappy the team was and the typical 4 superbowl losses or wide right nonsense, but this year so far it seems to be getting a lot worse. I understand the team has hit a low it hasn't seen in a long time but now a lot of the usual 5hit talk is turning into pity and it is kind of annoying.

I have had multiple people in the last three weeks ask me why I even bother anymore and that I should probably consider choosing a new team. I don't know how it works for most NFL fans but from what I know about growing up in the Buffalo area switching teams is not an option. I will admit a little bit of shame is creeping in and I don't like wearing my Bills stuff to work as much anymore, especially with tons of Jets and Giants fans around here, but there is no way I could ever have the same passion for another team. It isn't something you can just turn on and off and for some reason a lot of people don't seem to understand.

My question for the community is what kind of experiences have any of the other out of town Bills fans had with fans of other NFL teams and how do you feel it is best to deal with them?

Non-violent solutions only, a punch in the face to a junk talkin' Jets fan would feel great but just isn't practical. ;)

Unfortunately there's not much you can say or do. There's not much you can say about this years team (or the last ten years). I understand your feelings as I live about 4 miles from Giants stadium so you can imagine the grief I get from all the jets fans.....

Personally, the most embarrassing thing for me is that nobody roots against us. I have friends who are Dolphins, Patriots, packers, Broncoes, Jets, and a ton of other teams fans. None of them dislike us. It's almost like we're the nonthreatening friend of the whole entire league.

Personally, the most embarrassing thing for me is that nobody roots against us. I have friends who are Dolphins, Patriots, packers, Broncoes, Jets, and a ton of other teams fans. None of them dislike us. It's almost like we're the nonthreatening friend of the whole entire league.

Or it's the condescending, yet growing-in-popularity "They're still in the league?"

That one bothers me to no end.

Now that you mention it I have noticed this too. I didn't think about it until now but you're right, it is kind of embarrassing. I guess the best sign of the Bills being relevant again is when we beat someone well enough or often enough for them to hate us.

I'm in DC and for the first time in the 5 yrs that I've been down here nobody has given me too much grief - I get more people saying before they die they'd like to see the Bills win a Superbowl. Obviously I would too, better stop drinking and increase the excercise because its looks like we're in for a looooong run before anything like that happens - kind of impossible though because watching the Bills only promotes heavier drinking

I live in the mid-atlantic area and people think the Bills are just the dregs of the NFL. For the first time ever, I'm a bit embarrassed. I took the 2010 "Billieve" sticker off my car. I'm not encouraging my kids to wear their Bills stuff to school, because why should they endure other kids laughing about it. If they go 0-16, it's gonna be real tough on us out of town Bills fans.

Being in Oregon, it's not like the Seahawks fans have anything they can say... It's usually just sympathetic pats on the back and actually sometimes get praise for sticking with a bad team for so long.

As an adult, it's in my DNA already, but I have to admit it's tough to want to try to get my 6 year old son bought in to the Bills

Being from Western Canada, being a Bills fan puts me in a definite minority. I don't have anyone I can relate to, complain with or (at one time) celebrate with. I have been told many times that I should just switch teams, but I have cheered for the Bills for over 30 years now and have suffered too damn much to quit now. I just hope Ralph dies before I do so perhaps I can see this thing get turned around.

I get a lot of people giving me condolences and trying to put a good light on it - after the NE game they said things like "They played a good game - look at how many points they put up against us - they could have won". I feel like they were giving me a participation medal for the Special Olympics because we tried hard and now they are expecting me to get on the short bus and get the hell out of here.....

This from people who know next to nothing about football and couldn't name any players on the team beyond Brady, Welker and Moss......

I don't really mind hearing that we suck. We do. there's nothing we can do about it, and no defense this year. But what really bothers me is when they say that our fans are awful and that it's the reason we're going to lose our team and move to another city. That one hurts.

I live in Thailand and really nobody knows anything about American football, much less the Bills. One thing about here tho it is like a very big insult to call someone a Buffalo (but in reality they are talking about water buffalos and usually they are saying he's stupid like a Buffalo).

Last year my sister sent me a shirt that is for cheerios, which says my city smells like cheerios on the front and on the back it says born in Buffalo. No one can read it :huh:

I'm back in Ottawa, Canada after a stint in San Fran...I couldn't talk ANY of my fellow Bills fans in the city into the annual road trip (which used to be 4 trips) to Ralph Wilson to take in a game. First time in at least 7 years I haven't seen a Bills game live. Frankly, I don't think I'm missing out.

Here in Browns country (near the border with Steelerland), I don't like to talk football. I cope with either silence or passive aggression ("come on, your team stinks, too", which doesn't work with the Steelers fans, though).

I have had friendly bets with a family member and a former colleague on Bills/Browns games for the past few years, and now I am really dreading that December contest.

kj

one of my co-workers just saw me washing out my Bills coffee mug (which i use everyday). He says to me..."what's up with your Bills? i hear they are gonna move to Toronto or LA or something". I just shook my head and babbled something aboout #1 draft pick, rebuild this thing..etc.. ugh!

Being from Western Canada, being a Bills fan puts me in a definite minority. I don't have anyone I can relate to, complain with or (at one time) celebrate with. I have been told many times that I should just switch teams, but I have cheered for the Bills for over 30 years now and have suffered too damn much to quit now. I just hope Ralph dies before I do so perhaps I can see this thing get turned around.

I can't really look forward to that because I believe the Bills will be sold to a group that will move the team to another city.

It is pretty bleak. The Bills have been a demonstrably bad team for most of its existence, the exception being when an unknown named Polian was named to GM and a coach with a mediocre history named Levy was brought in. It just goes to show that even a blind squirrel can find a nut every once in a while. Unfortunately, my best hope is for Modrak to get fired and one of these apparently mediocre choices for GM and coach actually work out some time.

In Virginia, and usually the Redskins fandom is hilarious but tame. This year they are psychotic.

The lowest of the low was hearing some Patriots fan on a radio show talk about how tickets at Foxboro are too expensive. He said that he can afford tickets for all 5 of his kids, and to drive to their away game in Buffalo. Plus, they're guaranteed to win every year.

I live in Cleveland and people talk shizz on the Bills to me all the time. It's pretty bad when Browns fans think the only team they could beat (before 2 weeks ago) is the Bills. I think at this point we are better off going 0-16, who would say anything then? They would just look sad.

When I'm out and about wearing my Bills gear, I don't usually get too much flak. I think that's because a) Texans (of the non-Dallas variety) are generally friendly and don't enjoy being mean; and b) the Bills have a decent record against the Texans.

In my office I have lots of Bills gear on display, but I don't hear too much negative talk. I think that's because I'm the boss!

I will agree that overall its tougher to be a Bills fan than it used to be, but as someone else has said it's in your blood and you really do not have a choice. But I have been to two games this year and they were kind of a chore. The on field product wasn't much of a reward for the travel costs and time spent.

I have been out of the Buffalo are for almost 6 years now but until then grew up a Bills fan and have it deeply ingrained into who I am.

Over that time I always would get a lot of grief from everyone about how crappy the team was and the typical 4 superbowl losses or wide right nonsense, but this year so far it seems to be getting a lot worse. I understand the team has hit a low it hasn't seen in a long time but now a lot of the usual 5hit talk is turning into pity and it is kind of annoying.

I have had multiple people in the last three weeks ask me why I even bother anymore and that I should probably consider choosing a new team. I don't know how it works for most NFL fans but from what I know about growing up in the Buffalo area switching teams is not an option. I will admit a little bit of shame is creeping in and I don't like wearing my Bills stuff to work as much anymore, especially with tons of Jets and Giants fans around here, but there is no way I could ever have the same passion for another team. It isn't something you can just turn on and off and for some reason a lot of people don't seem to understand.

My question for the community is what kind of experiences have any of the other out of town Bills fans had with fans of other NFL teams and how do you feel it is best to deal with them?

Non-violent solutions only, a punch in the face to a junk talkin' Jets fan would feel great but just isn't practical. ;)

Sounds like a bunch of whining to me. That's not very metal, man.

:devil:

Edited by yall

Nice post, definitely true! :cry:

As most have stated, it's either pity or just "...meh".

I always say "unless your team won the Superbowl, who cares", or "your team is just a little less crappy than mine, but they haven't done anything".

Most important thing: Pick on the one thing about their team that drives them crazy. In New York, I call the Jets the "Jersey Boys" and talk about Revis' holdout causing his hamstring injury.

I never give in and always go on offense. There's always something.

Edited by JPS

I live in Boston. Been here eight years too long. My friends and colleagues all know that I am a loyal Bills fan and Buffalo booster.

They respect the fact that I am loyal and stand by my team.

If someone gives me **** about my support - it says more about them (ignorance) and less about me.

It's called respect and character.

Go Bills.