1st Pick my arse

Dr. Trooth

Let's suppose the Bils go 0-16 and have the 1st pick. No way in hell Bills use that pick to draft a player. They trade it, and here's why.

The biggest reason they trade out of it is because...

Ralph ain't going to pony up $30M in guaranteed money to an unproven player... especially given the Bills track record of drafting over the past 10 years.

Reason #2 is because they need so many players. This team is so bad the NFL could give them five picks in the top 15 of the 2011 draft and the Bills would still end up drafting in the top five in 2012.

I thought today's attendance would be 53,000 or less. Well, there must 5,000 fans into self flagellation, cuz just watching this team on TV or listening on the radio is sadistic torture.

When the Bills are winless at Christmas, will that be enough to send attendance to an all time low, or will that happen sooner?

Let's suppose the Bils go 0-16 and have the 1st pick. No way in hell Bills use that pick to draft a player. They trade it, and here's why.

Ralph ain't going to pony up $30M in guaranteed money to an unproven player... especially given the Bills track record of drafting over the past 10 years.

Reason #2 is because they need so many players. This team is so bad the NFL could give them five picks in the top 15 of the 2011 draft and the Bills would still end up drafting in the top five in 2012.

I thought today's attendance would be 53,000 or less. Well, there must 5,000 fans into self flagellation, cuz just watching this team on TV or listening on the radio is sadistic torture.

When the Bills are winless at Christmas, will that be enough to send attendance to an all time low, or will that happen sooner?

And yet you are still here...

This makes no sense at all.......

Edited by BuffaloBaumer

Bullcrap. If we are bad enough to have the number one pick, Ralph will know he needs that franchise face to sell tickets. Trade out of the top spot so we can draft a linebacker or wideout instead of a franchise QB? Please.

I'm with Dr. Trooth on this one (in fact I posted this same message in another thread before his). NO WAY in hell Ralph pays out that kinda cabbage to a rookie. And it ain't $30M - isn't it closer to $50M for a #1 overall QB these days?

I'm with Dr. Trooth on this one (in fact I posted this same message in another thread before his). NO WAY in hell Ralph pays out that kinda cabbage to a rookie. And it ain't $30M - isn't it closer to $50M for a #1 overall QB these days?

The new CBA will have a rookie wage scale. The money won't be the same for the top 10 players as it has been in the past. And if there is

a lockout no contracts will be signed until there is a new CBA anyway. Bills should trade out of that spot if they can pick up the extra picks

it would take a team to move up. They need a lot of picks.

The new CBA will have a rookie wage scale. The money won't be the same for the top 10 players as it has been in the past. And if there is

a lockout no contracts will be signed until there is a new CBA anyway. Bills should trade out of that spot if they can pick up the extra picks

If there is an agreement before the draft next April, and if it includes a rookie wage scale, and if it survives the lawsuits that may encumber it, and if the Bills have the top pick, I think they will draft Luck or the best available player. If those things don't happen, they will try like hell to trade the number one position for multiple picks.

Spin: We must rebuild the team through the draft. Reality: Because they can't attract top players through free agency.

Reality 2: The Bills have consistently drafted so poorly (especially with their top picks) that they cannot rebuild through the draft. Some day, someone will blow the whistle on what has been going on behind the scenes that has made the organization so dysfunctional. We all have our guesses, but I know it would be an interesting story for a book.

If there is an agreement before the draft next April, and if it includes a rookie wage scale, and if it survives the lawsuits that may encumber it, and if the Bills have the top pick, I think they will draft Luck or the best available player. If those things don't happen, they will try like hell to trade the number one position for multiple picks.

Spin: We must rebuild the team through the draft. Reality: Because they can't attract top players through free agency.

Reality 2: The Bills have consistently drafted so poorly (especially with their top picks) that they cannot rebuild through the draft. Some day, someone will blow the whistle on what has been going on behind the scenes that has made the organization so dysfunctional. We all have our guesses, but I know it would be an interesting story for a book.

I could see the NFL, as a possible offering to the NFLPA, yielding the rookie wage scale during CBA negotiations. That doesn't mean it's not an issue, just that both sides know the success of the NFL stands in the balance.

This is a problem owners created with help from scrupulous agents. 1st rounders on average receive 15-20% more over the same slot from a year earlier. If the same holds true in 2011 and Buffalo selects a QB, the kid will get 55-60M! I too have a hard time seeing anyone paying that out, let alone Buffalo.

That's for normal franchises that make trades of close to equal value. Someone will take it if we give it away, like say a 5th or 6th rounder in the 2012 draft.

Were you trying to be remotely realistic at all? Because the cost for the #1 overall pick would be their first, second, and likely third or fourth. It has been said before, but trading in/out of #1 just doesn't happen and won't in 2011.

Were you trying to be remotely realistic at all? Because the cost for the #1 overall pick would be their first, second, and likely third or fourth. It has been said before, but trading in/out of #1 just doesn't happen and won't in 2011.

Fix your sarcasm filter. And the point was Nix has proven he'll take less than market value if he wants to make a move bad enough. If he's desperate to move out of #1 overall, he'll take whatever he can get, which will likely be much less than the price you name above.

We never trade back to get more picks like we should have this past offseason. We had the #1 and picked Bruce, if we get it this year we will draft Luck. Ralph can't stand empty pockets ... er seats so he will do whatever he can to get more people in there to make money.

New CBA means a possible change in draft pick money. Vet players want the unproven rookies to take less while the owners are all for players getting less. Ralph takes the best QB and bargains for a slotting system so he doesn't have to pay a kings ransom for the top pick.

Bullcrap. If we are bad enough to have the number one pick, Ralph will know he needs that franchise face to sell tickets. Trade out of the top spot so we can draft a linebacker or wideout instead of a franchise QB? CHILD Please!

It only took 1 post for the words to come right out of my mouth!

:worthy:

Edited by Wilson from Gamehendge

I'd be inclined to make the trade, but you have to find someone who'd want the #1 overall pick and has enough picks to give up. Mike Ditka is no longer coaching!

Chargers traded out of the #1 spot with the Giants. Only moved dow na few spots, but did happen. I'm sure there's been others too in the past.

no one ever trades into or out of the top pick. if you get it you're stuck with it

by the time they are good again, they will be gone. what's the point? find something else to do/

New CBA=Rookie Wage Scale, also has he ever failed to sign his 1st round draft pick?

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Since your theory is "proven", just give me 10 examples where Nix has taken less than market value to make a move.

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? Lynch would be the example. And where does this proven example suddenly turn into a request for 10 such examples to validate it? :unsure:

New CBA=Rookie Wage Scale, also has he ever failed to sign his 1st round draft pick?

Yes he has (look it up).

Even though we get the #1 over all , if we look back at our last ten years of picks we could say in Chris Burman style .

NO ONE WIFFS ON DRAFT PICKS LIKE THE BUFFALO BILLS !!! :wallbash:

At least historically, the Bills have done ok with the first overall pick. Patulski didn't work out, but Simpson and Smith sure did. And even Cousineau led to Jim Kelly.

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? Lynch would be the example. And where does this proven example suddenly turn into a request for 10 such examples to validate it? :unsure:

Yes he has (look it up).

I've tried and i'm struggling. Help me out?

Closest I can find is Cousineau, but he left for the CFL. Upon coming back to the NFL the Bills matched the offer he was given by Houston and thus the Bills signed him. His rights were then traded for a first rounder that was used to select Jim Kelly. Which, if this is what you were referring to, was 31 years ago. He's got a pretty good streak going.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Lets look at the Bills history of first pick in the draft success. We took OJ and Bruce with first picks ( I am old enough to remember the OJ pick was a real no-brainer but the Bruce pick was somewhat controversial for the first few years). Both are in the HOF and are truly among the best picks in Bills history. We also picked Walt Putalski and Tom Cousineau first in the draft and neither was ever an average player let alone an NFL star. So our record, with different coaches and GM's but the same owner making the final decision is 50% home run and 50% strike out.

Before we think that the Bills are somehow more snake bit than other teams picking in the first spot, let review the 1999 to 2010 first picks. Some are average NFL starters but not superstars ( Mike Vick, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer) some are not even average (Courtny Brown, Tim Couch, David Carr, Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell)and the last few are still in the too early to tell range (Sam Bradford, Matt Stafford, Jake Long). It is hard to imagine any of these players, by themselves, turning around the Bills. Other than the running ability of Mike Vick, do we need to adjust our game plan for any of these first picks( as teams had to do for Bruce and OJ)?

If you can get a 50% return on a high draft pick (1st two rounds), and you can indeed trade the first pick for a first and a second, you may have a better chance of finding the difference maker the team is so lacking by trading out of first..

You have one example and that proves how he is going to handle every personnel decision?

Wow. :wallbash: Hey, here's an idea - let's give him 10 years to see if he makes one personnel decision per year like that. Then we could have another lost decade before moving on to Ralph's next puppet. :wallbash: If you don't think we could move out of the #1 spot in the draft and get far less value than what the market would normally dictate,you just ain't been payin' attention son :wallbash:

I've tried and i'm struggling. Help me out?

Closest I can find is Cousineau, but he left for the CFL. Upon coming back to the NFL the Bills matched the offer he was given by Houston and thus the Bills signed him. His rights were then traded for a first rounder that was used to select Jim Kelly. Which, if this is what you were referring to, was 31 years ago. He's got a pretty good streak going.

That is indeed what I was referring to. A stretch, yes, but it met the criteria for your question :devil:

Lets look at the Bills history of first pick in the draft success. We took OJ and Bruce with first picks ( I am old enough to remember the OJ pick was a real no-brainer but the Bruce pick was somewhat controversial for the first few years). Both are in the HOF and are truly among the best picks in Bills history. We also picked Walt Putalski and Tom Cousineau first in the draft and neither was ever an average player let alone an NFL star. So our record, with different coaches and GM's but the same owner making the final decision is 50% home run and 50% strike out.

Before we think that the Bills are somehow more snake bit than other teams picking in the first spot, let review the 1999 to 2010 first picks. Some are average NFL starters but not superstars ( Mike Vick, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer) some are not even average (Courtny Brown, Tim Couch, David Carr, Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell)and the last few are still in the too early to tell range (Sam Bradford, Matt Stafford, Jake Long). It is hard to imagine any of these players, by themselves, turning around the Bills. Other than the running ability of Mike Vick, do we need to adjust our game plan for any of these first picks( as teams had to do for Bruce and OJ)?

If you can get a 50% return on a high draft pick (1st two rounds), and you can indeed trade the first pick for a first and a second, you may have a better chance of finding the difference maker the team is so lacking by trading out of first..

Look at the history since the merger. More busts than Hall of Famers, and the Bills got two Hall of Famers out of four no. 1 picks. Not bad at all. (Add the Cousineau-for-14th-pick in '83 trade, and the Bills got three Hall of Famers.)

If they have it and they don't take a QB Ralph will lose 80% of the fanbase right then and there.

If they have it and they don't take a QB Ralph will lose 80% of the fanbase right then and there.

If they have it, and Luck stays at Stanford, and the Bills take Carimi first and Mallett or Locker 33d, the whole fan base will come right back. Not saying that's the right move, but the whole fan base will love it.

Correct me and re-erect me if I'm wrong, but aren't we looking at a (warranted) Rookie Salary cap headed this way?

With a #1 pick next year... seems we're timing it perfectly.

Wow, Todd Collins really lit it up today... just like the old days (in Buff).

And that my friends is why I think this is a lot more calculated then people are letting on......a couple of franchise level QB's...a rookie cap to keep the money from being too crazy.....and the Bills...

hmmmmmmm