What the hell were the coaches doing all training camp?

Endless Ike

How can we trust any of these clowns?

Trent sucks, but he sucked July too...why does it take until week 4 to do what should have been obvious in May?

I'm positive I wasn't the only one who saw Trent performing well in preseason. The coaches handled this thing perfectly.

I'm positive I wasn't the only one who saw Trent performing well in preseason. The coaches handled this thing perfectly.

+1. Trent looked different in preseason. Hell, the whole offense looked better in preseason than it showed in the Miami and GB games.

Trent did look good in camp. Better than the other three, and noticably. This thread is going to get bombarded by people saying "we all knew he sucked, The coaching sucks, Ralph made the decision, Toronto Bills, etc etc." But I know what I saw, and I know other people saw it too. So people can rag all they want.

Trent sucks, but he sucked July too...why does it take until week 4 to do what should have been obvious in May?

Exactly, I posted here during the summer that Edwards would be cut after he was beat out by Fitzpatrick. The fact that they not only kept Edwards but started him makes me severely question their decision making ability.

Exactly, I posted here during the summer that Edwards would be cut after he was beat out by Fitzpatrick. The fact that they not only kept Edwards but started him makes me severely question their decision making ability.

Fitz did not beat out Trent during the preseason. By all accounts Trent performed better in practice. We all saw him perform better in preseason games. This coaching staff had to see Trent play in real games. That's the only way to truly judge any player. Trent reverted back to form. Fitz is a gamer, just like he showed last season, and he looked better than Trent in a live setting. So Trent is gone. There should be no issue with the coaching staff. Eveybody wants a guarantee, but there are none. Trent could have taken his preseason performance and built on it during the regular season, but he's not a gamer. It's refreshing to see him get the axe once Gailey and Co. found that out for sure.

They were evaluating the players on the roster. They did so based on the players' achievements in practices and in the preseason games. According to just about every report from training camp, Trent Edwards looked like the best option at QB. Why is it such a big deal that based on that they gave him 2 games to start at the beginning of the year?

The coaches evaluated Trent the practice player properly. What they couldn't have forseen was him going into a complete shell when the bullets started flying. To their credit they didn't take long to pull the plug once they saw him live.

So they decided not to watch film from the 3 previous years on him? Seems like this is their MO with Kelsay getting an extension and all.

They had more than preseason to go on though - they roughly 20 career starts to see what we've all seen the past few years. A few preseason games wipes away all those regular season games that they saw? Hell, they didn't even have a real competition, they anointed Edwards the starter. How many starts did Fitz get in pre-season to make his case?

I know of at least one staff member who wasted his time giving a stern talkin'-to to Edwards bashers. But hey, what do I know.

In fairness to Chan, he looked up all those kids this morning and had them bash Edwards in Chan's office before Chan came in wearing a Donald Trump wig and said "You're fired!" The kids loved it.

They had more than preseason to go on though - they roughly 20 career starts to see what we've all seen the past few years. A few preseason games wipes away all those regular season games that they saw? Hell, they didn't even have a real competition, they anointed Edwards the starter. How many starts did Fitz get in pre-season to make his case?

There were a lot of people who thought Jauron had as much or more to do with Trent's troubles as Trent himself. The fact that Trent played better in training camp and preseason reinforced that.

Perhaps because Fitz is what he is all the time, in practice and in pre-season and in games. He's pretty good at a lot of things but he's also rather inaccurate on passes to open players too often a percentage of the time. That's the Fitz we saw at St. Louis and at Cinci, that's the Fitz we saw last year, that's the Fitz we saw this pre-season, and that's the Fitz we saw yesterday.

He's not a dependable starting QB in this league because of that one thing. If Fitz was an little better and a little more accurate, he hits Roscoe and we score a TD, not get an INT and 14 point swing. He's got to hit that pass to an open guy but he misses it too great a percentage of the time. If he didn't, he would probably be a good QB.

How are the coaches going to know that Trent sucks if he shines in practice and preseason? Some players are gamers and some are practice players. Trent is the latter. You could say "Look at film from last year!" but I think new coaches owe the guys on the roster a chance to compete. Trent got his chance, he ended up sucking, and now life goes on.

How are the coaches going to know that Trent sucks if he shines in practice and preseason? Some players are gamers and some are practice players. Trent is the latter. You could say "Look at film from last year!" but I think new coaches owe the guys on the roster a chance to compete. Trent got his chance, he ended up sucking, and now life goes on.

+1

Perhaps because Fitz is what he is all the time, in practice and in pre-season and in games. He's pretty good at a lot of things but he's also rather inaccurate on passes to open players too often a percentage of the time. That's the Fitz we saw at St. Louis and at Cinci, that's the Fitz we saw last year, that's the Fitz we saw this pre-season, and that's the Fitz we saw yesterday.

He's not a dependable starting QB in this league because of that one thing. If Fitz was an little better and a little more accurate, he hits Roscoe and we score a TD, not get an INT and 14 point swing. He's got to hit that pass to an open guy but he misses it too great a percentage of the time. If he didn't, he would probably be a good QB.

He can't help it, the centripetal force from his head unbalances his throwing motion, and it affects his accuracy. He can only compensate for it early in the games. By the fourth quarter his neck muscles are spent!!

Yeah they are clowns because they wanted to evaluate him on their own, in THEIR system under live action. He looked good in preseason. There is a good reason why you do not work or coach for a professional football team and they do. They made the right decision to bench and then release him. To be honest you sound like you don't know what you are talking about.