Chan Gailey's

Estro

After watching Gailey's presser I think it's pretty evident he now fully understands how bad Trent Edwards is. He mentions several times that they are still assessing "who they are" and that they will make the necessary changes to improve. How could you not pull the chord on Edwards? Yes, he is not surrounded with a lot of talent, but he is so bad, that it is embarrassing.

I'm still willing to give Gailey and Nix a chance. I think they have a chance to right the ship with a full 3 year commitment, but they need to find a QB with some confidence and stones. Gailey's biggest mistake to this point was underestimating how pitiful of a QB Edwards is. He's the type of guy who looks serviceable May-August, but come September he turns into a highschool QB out there.

If Edwards stinks the joint up @ New England look for Gailey and Nix to pull the plug on him and go with Brohm/Fitzpatrick.

One other concern I have with the Gailey/Nix combo is their sudden change of opinion regarding CJ Spiller. Guy looked lights out all preseason, and then he has a poor game in the home opener. Now all of the sudden he's not the starter? It seems like a knee jerk reaction and indicates a team that is already in full panic mode. It doesn't make sense to take a guy so high, annoint him starter and then put him on the pine after one poor showing. It's only going to hurt Spiller's confidence in the long run.

I thought his comments about not wanting guys on this team that are ok with losing were, perhaps, referring directly to Trent's actions late in the game (ie, running out of bounds on 4th and 11). Not that the offense had a legitimate shot at scoring 3 TDs in the final few minutes but you'd like to see your QB at least... well, do anything but sheepishly surrender.

I thought his comments about not wanting guys on this team that are ok with losing were, perhaps, referring directly to Trent's actions late in the game (ie, running out of bounds on 4th and 11). Not that the offense had a legitimate shot at scoring 3 TDs in the final few minutes but you'd like to see your QB at least... well, do anything but sheepishly surrender.

I kind of got the same sense. Second week in a row where Edwards throws/runs short of the stick on 4th and game. Just shows you what type of mentality our singal caller has. Refuses to throw the ball downfield unless soemone is WIDE OPEN. I saw Rodgers throw to plenty of well covered receivers today, and low and behold many of them were complete. As a Bills fan I forgot such things were possible. It's like you're watching another sport when the Bills offense takes the field. The ineptitude is scary, and I put 75% of the blame on the guy who touches the ball every single snap. He's the worst player on our team, does anyone disagree?

Edited by Estro

Agreed Estro. He always looks decent to good in preseason and then as soon as real games start he doesn't pull the trigger. I know he doesnt have lots of time, any good wrs (I am in the "trade Evans" for just about anything you can get crowd), but he's gotta have some kind of awareness out there and he doesn't at all. I'm all for trading every single player on this damn team. I'm sick of loosing and being a huge joke. Trade everyone for 3 packs of slim jims and a 12 pack of yoohoo and well be better off.

I absolutely agree. Trent is more than likely shell shocked and beyond reclamation at this point. I think Chan is simply kicking all the tires... in other words, he needed to be sure that Trent was completely fried before moving on to Plan B. Of course, if he remains the starter for too long, this could unfortunately not be the case. I hope he has seen enough after 2 weeks.

None of this mess is Chan Gailey's fault. he has inherited a team low on talent, and suffering from a personality disorder.

I don't buy this. Perry Fewell last year yearh, but Chan had the whole off season to bring in new talent if what he had was not up to snuff. He could have signed Jake Delhomeme or Marc Bulger or signed more OL or drafted help. he didn't. He and Buddy are to blame.

None of this mess is Chan Gailey's fault. he has inherited a team low on talent, and suffering from a personality disorder.

People an complain, but what would YOU do? The best anyone can come up with is "Put in Brian Brohm, that's what I would do!". There's nothing that can be done right now.

Not too long ago, there were all kind of fans here telling us how this team was going to surprise everyone, Gailey would be so innovative and creative on offense, our young guys would perform well, Gailey would have success with TE, Troup would be a monster in the middle, our three headed monster RB crew and the electricfying CJ Spiller, our solid secondary would create many ints, etc...

Now, fans here are singing another tune. It's not Gailey's fault as you put it. A few weeks ago he was supposed to be the savior? True he has crap to work with and when realistic fans like myself stated this we received a ration of shite. I recall saying on several occassions we needed a QB, OL, WR, LB, run stopper, and a pass rusher. It was cystal clear and many of us were able to objectively look at the facts. Any media member who stated the obvious were bashed by the posters here. Now, all thos posters are in hiding. This board has never been so quiet. I give credit to those who have admitted their irrational point of view was incorrect. I get no enjoyment out of being correct in my assessment of the Bills. I am so upset that I allowed myself to believe some of your delusional points of view. It has only made my pain worse. That is my fault.

Gailey has looked anything but impressive and I refuse to give him a free pass. You can if you like. Thus far Gailey receives a big fat "f" grade. This organization is pathetic!

People an complain, but what would YOU do? The best anyone can come up with is "Put in Brian Brohm, that's what I would do!". There's nothing that can be done right now.

Actually that's not true. The game plan that Gailey called the past two weeks has been awful. Worse than awful, it's been embarrassing. So far he's been out coached by everyone he's faced, and it hasn't been close.

Doesn't mean he can't turn it around, but right now Gailey's play calling is uninspired at best, abhorrent at worst.

Not too long ago, there were all kind of fans here telling us how this team was going to surprise everyone, Gailey would be so innovative and creative on offense, our young guys would perform well, Gailey would have success with TE, Troup would be a monster in the middle, our three headed monster RB crew and the electricfying CJ Spiller, our solid secondary would create many ints, etc...

Now, fans here are singing another tune. It's not Gailey's fault as you put it. A few weeks ago he was supposed to be the savior? True he has crap to work with and when realistic fans like myself stated this we received a ration of shite. I recall saying on several occassions we needed a QB, OL, WR, LB, run stopper, and a pass rusher. It was cystal clear and many of us were able to objectively look at the facts. Any media member who stated the obvious were bashed by the posters here. Now, all thos posters are in hiding. This board has never been so quiet. I give credit to those who have admitted their irrational point of view was incorrect. I get no enjoyment out of being correct in my assessment of the Bills. I am so upset that I allowed myself to believe some of your delusional points of view. It has only made my pain worse. That is my fault.

Gailey has looked anything but impressive and I refuse to give him a free pass. You can if you like. Thus far Gailey receives a big fat "f" grade. This organization is pathetic!

You need to relax a little bit. What would you have predicted the score of this game to be? Totally a lot closer? Green bay's home opener? Doubtful. We need to be objective of the team this year, especially only two weeks in.. Expect the team to improve week after week rather than come out like they were shot out of a cannon

You need to relax a little bit. What would you have predicted the score of this game to be? Totally a lot closer? Green bay's home opener? Doubtful. We need to be objective of the team this year, especially only two weeks in.. Expect the team to improve week after week rather than come out like they were shot out of a cannon

Actually, I predicted Packers 41 Bills 17. I am a realist and I expected very little from this team. My main point which you may have missed is that people here weren't objective and they slammed so many posters who were. I am wondering where those posters went?

What is improvement to you? I thought we upgraded the coaching position but thus far I have seen nothing that indicates this to be true.

Oh, by the way, I am very relaxed.

Actually, I predicted Packers 41 Bills 17. I am a realist and I expected very little from this team. My main point which you may have missed is that people here weren't objective and they slammed so many posters who were. I am wondering where those posters went?

What is improvement to you? I thought we upgraded the coaching position but thus far I have seen nothing that indicates this to be true.

It is simple. We have more posters than ever before. They are quick to jump the gun and say so much, I mean, look at the thread on game day, 10000 threads on the same subject. There were 4 threads today on Clay Matthews play in the span of 2 hours. Many feel that quantity is more than quality and due to that content suffers. I post some times, more often than I should, but I try to make concise points. I probably fail at this more than succeed when my emotion gets ahold of me because I am that tied up in the Buffalo Bills.

But back to the OP and thread, I cannot believe that any organization would cut a QB of Edwards calibre in a season and no team would ever do it. It would send a message but that message would probably backfire. I think Gailey is discovering a team that is disenfranchised, content with the losing attitude, and a team that has no identity. He rode in and like any headcoach was thinking "ok, I can really do something with this." That's how coaches think, good or bad. In two games he has found that this is a team that is full of "losers." Guys that do not know what it is like to win, who have no leaders, no soul. Gailey is in the middle of the ocean with a boat full of guys who just simply do not know what to do. Our team is flat and not playing at their full potential. This is not soley a coaching issue, this is an organizational issue. It will take a team to fix it, from the front office to the benchwarmers, we need to find an identy, we need to find discontent in losing. I Billieve things will get better and like everyone else I am hurting, but simply put, there are too many fingers pointing in too many ways to point blame in one direction. I hate calling anything a failure so I will call this misrepresentation of football.

It is simple. We have more posters than ever before. They are quick to jump the gun and say so much, I mean, look at the thread on game day, 10000 threads on the same subject. There were 4 threads today on Clay Matthews play in the span of 2 hours. Many feel that quantity is more than quality and due to that content suffers. I post some times, more often than I should, but I try to make concise points. I probably fail at this more than succeed when my emotion gets ahold of me because I am that tied up in the Buffalo Bills.

But back to the OP and thread, I cannot believe that any organization would cut a QB of Edwards calibre in a season and no team would ever do it. It would send a message but that message would probably backfire. I think Gailey is discovering a team that is disenfranchised, content with the losing attitude, and a team that has no identity. He rode in and like any headcoach was thinking "ok, I can really do something with this." That's how coaches think, good or bad. In two games he has found that this is a team that is full of "losers." Guys that do not know what it is like to win, who have no leaders, no soul. Gailey is in the middle of the ocean with a boat full of guys who just simply do not know what to do. Our team is flat and not playing at their full potential. This is not soley a coaching issue, this is an organizational issue. It will take a team to fix it, from the front office to the benchwarmers, we need to find an identy, we need to find discontent in losing. I Billieve things will get better and like everyone else I am hurting, but simply put, there are too many fingers pointing in too many ways to point blame in one direction. I hate calling anything a failure so I will call this misrepresentation of football.

Jboy, Really solid post. I share in your pain.

Actually that's not true. The game plan that Gailey called the past two weeks has been awful. Worse than awful, it's been embarrassing. So far he's been out coached by everyone he's faced, and it hasn't been close.

Doesn't mean he can't turn it around, but right now Gailey's play calling is uninspired at best, abhorrent at worst.

It's not the game plan. What a joke! It's the players my friend, specifically the offensive line and the quarterback. I have no loyalty or "passion" for Chan Gailey.

In fact, here we go

"IT WASN"T DICK JUARON'S FAULT THE BILLS SUCKED LAST YEAR!"

They sucked before DJ and CG. They have sucked mainly because they can't find a high quality quarterback and some average offensive lineman.

If DJ was the coach of the Colts they would still win 10 games every year.

Edited by ThrowIt

I kind of got the same sense. Second week in a row where Edwards throws/runs short of the stick on 4th and game. Just shows you what type of mentality our singal caller has. Refuses to throw the ball downfield unless soemone is WIDE OPEN. I saw Rodgers throw to plenty of well covered receivers today, and low and behold many of them were complete. As a Bills fan I forgot such things were possible. It's like you're watching another sport when the Bills offense takes the field. The ineptitude is scary, and I put 75% of the blame on the guy who touches the ball every single snap. He's the worst player on our team, does anyone disagree?

I disagree. the worst player on this Bills team by far is Cornell Green, who is making 3 million and way more then Edwards. he was brought in to be an upgrade and clearly he is anything but.

After watching Gailey's presser I think it's pretty evident he now fully understands how bad Trent Edwards is. He mentions several times that they are still assessing "who they are" and that they will make the necessary changes to improve. How could you not pull the chord on Edwards? Yes, he is not surrounded with a lot of talent, but he is so bad, that it is embarrassing.

I'm still willing to give Gailey and Nix a chance. I think they have a chance to right the ship with a full 3 year commitment, but they need to find a QB with some confidence and stones. Gailey's biggest mistake to this point was underestimating how pitiful of a QB Edwards is. He's the type of guy who looks serviceable May-August, but come September he turns into a highschool QB out there.

If Edwards stinks the joint up @ New England look for Gailey and Nix to pull the plug on him and go with Brohm/Fitzpatrick.

One other concern I have with the Gailey/Nix combo is their sudden change of opinion regarding CJ Spiller. Guy looked lights out all preseason, and then he has a poor game in the home opener. Now all of the sudden he's not the starter? It seems like a knee jerk reaction and indicates a team that is already in full panic mode. It doesn't make sense to take a guy so high, annoint him starter and then put him on the pine after one poor showing. It's only going to hurt Spiller's confidence in the long run.

Yeah he knows Trent stinks, CJ will be fine he's a running back and when the game slows down for him he will be in there. Plus with all the talk of trading Lynch he needed to get some carries to be more marketable.

It's not the game plan. What a joke! It's the players my friend, specifically the offensive line and the quarterback. I have no loyalty or "passion" for Chan Gailey.

In fact, here we go

They sucked before DJ and CG. They have sucked mainly because they can't find a high quality quarterback and some average offensive lineman.

I agree with the premise of your post. A coach needs talented players in key positions to win. Posters have responded to this by telling me how important the coaching position is. Their position is valid as well because coaching does make a difference. In the end, a successful team needs talented players and good coaching. After two games, the Bills seem to possess niether.

Well good work, you really showed those stupid optimistic Bills fans.

In fact, here we go

Jauron wouldn't be coach of the Colts because Polian knows what kind of coach he is.

My point is that the winning attitude starts with the front office. They sell the winning formula to the players and it's the players' job to execute it. Part of that sale is to get the right coach to translate that attitude to the field.

I admit I was hoping to see this team surprise some people. They very well may do that by the end of the year. However, right now, it's still a work in progress.

No. I was told this team wasn't that bad and the problem was Dick Jauron.

Exactly. Vince Lombardi couldn't win with this collection of talent.

And for the "same team as last year" crowd, don't forget that two of the five best guys on offense from 2009 (TO and Butler) are gone.

Forming a conclusion on anything related to the Bills after two games is at best premature, at worst ignorant. The two teams they Bills have played so far have been solid, playoff caliber teams. Could the Bills have looked better, sure. They're learning an entirely new system and it's clear that they're struggling. Heaping all the blame on Edwards or Gailey s is the easy thing to do if you want to be a lemming. The reality is Edwards hasn't performed well but the OL has performed even WORSE. Even the guys that were solid last year seem to be struggling a bit. When you're in a max protect scheme and the defense rushes three and still gets to the QB then your problems are much greater than just the QB. At this point, it won't matter what players or plays Gailey uses if they won't execute.

Clearly you do enjoy being "right". Congratulations! The Bills suck and you win NOTHING.

Forming a conclusion on anything related to the Bills after two games is at best premature, at worst ignorant. The two teams they Bills have played so far have been solid, playoff caliber teams. Could the Bills have looked better, sure. They're learning an entirely new system and it's clear that they're struggling. Heaping all the blame on Edwards or Gailey s is the easy thing to do if you want to be a lemming. The reality is Edwards hasn't performed well but the OL has performed even WORSE. Even the guys that were solid last year seem to be struggling a bit. When you're in a max protect scheme and the defense rushes three and still gets to the QB then your problems are much greater than just the QB. At this point, it won't matter what players or plays Gailey uses if they won't execute.

Clearly you do enjoy being "right". Congratulations! The Bills suck and you win NOTHING.

Bitter.

I have been reading your post for quite a long time here. All you post have been way off and you have been flat out wrong. Your obviosuly living in a bubble when it comes to this team. Maybe you should listen to what I have to say. Wake the F up and smell the coffee.

Your right about one thing the Bills do suck and I do win nothing. So what's your point. My point is everything you have posted has been flat out wrong. Sit back and listen to some more educated fans before you try to sling mud my way. I get no enjoyment out of watching my team lose. I could careless about being right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suppose you will make excuses after we lose to the Pats and Jets too.

Edited by mpl6876

Gailey was referring to Trent on the "who we are" and on the "excepting to lose" comments. Trent will get one more chance against NE.

Spiller will play when he learns how to use his blocks.

I am sticking with Gailey and Nix. They need some time to gut this beast.

And for the "same team as last year" crowd, don't forget that two of the five best guys on offense from 2009 (TO and Butler) are gone.

And this genius new coach went back to CHECKWARDS. so that's actually 3 huge downgrades.

You got that right. I assume you were one of them.

Maybe he was, I know for sure that I was, as I am always optomistic when it comes to the Bills.

You predicting a score that is lopsisded in GB's favor, when everyone knew we would probably

get hammered, makes you a real nostrodumbass.

We should all consult with you before we get our collective hopes to high, as you are the self

appointed bring us back down to earth man.

I am sticking with Gailey and Nix.

not a lot of choice there....all the big names completely ignored and nearly disrespected wilson...and he deserves it. long suffering bills fans don't (even the boderline psychotic optimists here who think this pair are better than the established names other teams were able to land).

If only the league could set up a system to replace lost talent.

Gailey and Nix had tons of opportunities to fix this team in the offseason. They had lots of film and a whole preseason to recognize the problems at offense (which weren't problems at running back.) They had free agent and trade opportunities (Owens, Incognito and Vick could have been had if the price were right.) They could have gotten the guy who was playing left tackle pretty well for Green Bay yesterday as a first round pick instead of Spiller (Bulaga) They could have gotten Flozell Adams for right tackle, or addressed the issue in the draft. They didn't.

Chan and Buddy...you better get hustling if you're going to get the nine wins which should allow you to keep your jobs.

More than Coaching right now I think this team is a mess because of a decade of bad drafting. At best our good draft choices have become "solid" players but no stars. I can see why Nix didnt bring in any big name free agents. Whats the point? We're probably a few years and a couple more (good) drafts away from contending for anything. We're not a "Karlos Dansby" or "Jake Delhomme" or whomever away from contending. Sign them now and they're three years older by the time we're ready to contend for the division. Even if Peyton Manning had been available and we signed him we wouldnt contend. Sure the offense would be better but he'd still be playing behind the same line, with the same receivers and no tight end.

I admit I was wrong. I thought the team would be better and we'd surprise a few people. I thought they looked decent in preseason and based on no particular rationale I guess I blindly hoped things would be looking up.

I'm not giving anyone a pass. I just think that more than "Ralph's cheap" or "Nix doesnt know what he's doing" that even though they won't and can't admit it, they didnt go on a signing spree because we're more than a few players away and its going to take another two or three seasons. Anyone remember TO last year....we were a heck of a lot farther away from serious contention than a star wideout....

I know there are few teams that have turned things around in short order but those teams either had more talent than we do or were a total fluke

I'm down like everyone else but not in "panic" mode. We all want a quick fix to something that took the better part of a decade to get into. Its going to take some time.....

I have been reading your post for quite a long time here. All you post have been way off and you have been flat out wrong. Your obviosuly living in a bubble when it comes to this team. Maybe you should listen to what I have to say. Wake the F up and smell the coffee.

Your right about one thing the Bills do suck and I do win nothing. So what's your point. My point is everything you have posted has been flat out wrong. Sit back and listen to some more educated fans before you try to sling mud my way. I get no enjoyment out of watching my team lose. I could careless about being right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suppose you will make excuses after we lose to the Pats and Jets too.

Aren't you the same genius who suggested that Bills fans wear paper bags over their heads?

Find a post where I said this team was going to the playoffs. Find a post where I said this team would be VASTLY improved. Find anything anywhere where I said that Gailey was going to turn this team around immediately. The only thing I've said is that the talent level this year is about the same as last year and better coaching should translate to more wins.

I'm fairly certain I've been a Bills fan longer than you've been alive. The difference is, I'm not part of the give it to me now generation. I've been through worse and haven't left the team. I'm a Bills fan, good bad or otherwise. The difference between you and me is that I enjoy being optimistic whereas you're just another "I told you so" douche bag.

As for what you have to say, it's the same miserable **** that you and 100 other smacktards post here every day. There's nothing new, nothing different, nothing insightful. Just the same old we suck, fire cut or trade player X blah blah blah blah blah. Frankly, it's all a bunch of low IQ noise at this point. Why don't you actually go back, watch the game and look at where the breakdowns occur. THAT will give you some insight as to where things are going wrong and allow you to post something useful that elevates you above the average internet forum lemming.

And the retard rollercoaster goes up up up..

There has been enough bad decision making in the Gailey/Nix era for them to be responsible for what we are seeing. Certainly Jauron ignored a major problem with Peters leaving by not drafting Oher instead of Maybin. However Nix/Gailey could see the problem from the day they came in and could have easily drafted Bulaga and gotten a second serviceable offensive tackle in free agency or trade. They really should have seen whether our qb situation was okay or not based on years of tape and the pre-season and could have gone in a different qb direction with the McNabb/Vick/or any number of other qb options. They could have seen that we would be weak on receivers and made a play to keep TO. This is clearly THEIR team and they can't blame it on the previous administration.

They have the hand that they dealt themselves. I say hold them to getting nine wins with that hand and if they don't get rid of both of them.

Gailey and Nix had tons of opportunities to fix this team in the offseason. They had lots of film and a whole preseason to recognize the problems at offense (which weren't problems at running back.) They had free agent and trade opportunities (Owens, Incognito and Vick could have been had if the price were right.) They could have gotten the guy who was playing left tackle pretty well for Green Bay yesterday as a first round pick instead of Spiller (Bulaga) They could have gotten Flozell Adams for right tackle, or addressed the issue in the draft. They didn't.

Chan and Buddy...you better get hustling if you're going to get the nine wins which should allow you to keep your jobs.

I am puzzled at their decision to not retain Incognito. He played well last year, maybe he just told the team that he wasn't interested in signing with them??

Bulaga wouldn't have be a massive upgrade over Merideth or Bell. The bigger issue was that he wasn't worthy of the 9th pick. He's just not that good. Adams would have been a one year stop gap at best but he alone wasn't going to be the difference between going to the playoffs and another 8-8 season.

This team needs to stop looking for leak pluggers and focus on long term solutions. They've got a solid inner core but they can't ignore the tackle positions any longer. If Bell or Merideth develop into quality starting tackles you can bet your ass that Nix is not going to let them walk.

It's going to be a long bumpy road but I'm still confident that they will rebuild this team. The problem is there are just WAY too many holes to fix in one season. The team is talent poor and both Ralph Wilson and Buddy Nix said that back in the spring.

The difference is, I'm not part of the give it to me now generation. I've been through worse and haven't left the team. I'm a Bills fan, good bad or otherwise. The difference between you and me is that I enjoy being optimistic.

And the retard rollercoaster goes up up up..

You are so right! We have become a "drive thru" society. We want quick fixes to everything be it the economy or football team- situations that took years of miscalculations and mistakes to get into we want to get out of overnight!

And that last line is classic!