Anyone notice that McGee was benched?

thebandit27

Just curious if anyone else noticed that the coaching staff started the 2nd half on Sunday with McKelvin at CB instead of McGee opposite Florence? I personally was in favor of the decision, after watching Brandon Marshall vicitmize McGee for 5 of his 6 first half catches. I was especially happy with the way McKelvin played, I think that was his best game--coverage-wise--in a Bills' uniform.

Many of you know I've never been a McGee fan, and I didn't see this posted anywhere...anybody have any opinions/feedback/observations?

I didn't notice McGee getting benched. Actually, the way I am remembering it, most of the catches Marshall got were in front of Florence, not McGee. I thought they went to McKelvin because he is a bit more physical that Florence is. At any rate, I though McKelvin looked terrific. I can't wait until he and Byrd really get in sync with each-other. It's gonna be like having Ed Reed and Dion Sanders in the secondary.....Scary man.

I went back and looked at the defensive snaps. The Bills started the game with McGee and LCB and Florence at RCB. When they went to nickel, Florence played the slot ant McKelvin came in at RCB.

About halfway through the 2nd quarter, McKelvin replaced McGee at LCB when they had the base defense on the field. When the went nickel, they stayed with the lineup that they started the game with. They stayed with that lineup for the rest of the game.

McKelvin and Florence are both bigger and more physical than McGee. Probably better in run support.

Just curious if anyone else noticed that the coaching staff started the 2nd half on Sunday with McKelvin at CB instead of McGee opposite Florence? I personally was in favor of the decision, after watching Brandon Marshall vicitmize McGee for 5 of his 6 first half catches. I was especially happy with the way McKelvin played, I think that was his best game--coverage-wise--in a Bills' uniform.

Many of you know I've never been a McGee fan, and I didn't see this posted anywhere...anybody have any opinions/feedback/observations?

I didn't realize that McGee was the one that McKelvin took the place of but i did notice that McKelvin was really effective at keeping the ball out of Marshalls hands in the second half.

McGee had better be careful if that's the way Mckelvin comes to play every week we might have a new starter . :o

My god, how can you not like McGee??

I didn't realize that McGee was the one that McKelvin took the place of but i did notice that McKelvin was really effective at keeping the ball out of Marshalls hands in the second half.

McGee had better be careful if that's the way Mckelvin comes to play every week we might have a new starter . :o

If McKelvin takes a starting spot it won't be McGee's. "Starting" doesn't really mean much to CBs in the NFL these days anyway. With the 3-5 WR formations that offenses throw out the top 4 CBs are all going to get plenty of time on the field, no matter who is listed as the "starter."

McGee had been nursing a foot injury earlier in the week, which may have had something to do with that.

jw

Thanks for the insight, I thought he looked a little off on a few plays.....guess that explains it.

Enjoyed hearing you with Howard this morning too!

McGee had been nursing a foot injury earlier in the week, which may have had something to do with that.

jw

McGee's best games were when he was playing as the nickel corner early in his career. I think he is too small to cover a lot of the top receivers on the outside, and tends to give too much cushion. I would be perfectly happy with him going back to nickel corner with Florence and McKelvin starting on the outside. I think it would probably prolong his career as well. One thing I do miss is him returning kickoffs. I have never seen anybody better than him other than when Dante Hall was in his prime. And if Hall was better, it was not by much-that is for sure.

McGee's best games were when he was playing as the nickel corner early in his career. I think he is too small to cover a lot of the top receivers on the outside, and tends to give too much cushion. I would be perfectly happy with him going back to nickel corner with Florence and McKelvin starting on the outside. I think it would probably prolong his career as well. One thing I do miss is him returning kickoffs. I have never seen anybody better than him other than when Dante Hall was in his prime. And if Hall was better, it was not by much-that is for sure.

Didn't McGee pretty much shut down Randy Moss a few times over the last few seasons?

he was probably hurt no worse than last year when Ted Ginn burned him for his career day.

Wasn't that the game where McGee rushed back from an injury, and could barely run his full stride? If so, I don't think he was hurting that bad on Sunday.

Are you sure about that?

after Marshals 3-4 catches in the first half, I was wondering why Florence was on Marshal and not McGee? Im 99.99% sure it was Florence who drew Marshall.

I did figure it was an injury reason, especially when McGee didnt play much in the 2nd half.

Are you sure about that?

after Marshals 3-4 catches in the first half, I was wondering why Florence was on Marshal and not McGee? Im 99.99% sure it was Florence who drew Marshall.

I did figure it was an injury reason, especially when McGee didnt play much in the 2nd half.

I can't go back and watch, but that is how I remember it too. I distinctly remember thinking that Florence was having an awful game, during the first half.