Sully is right on this one

Dan

Evans tries, but fails to hide frustration.

"Gailey put his trust in quarterback Trent Edwards, who had a miserable afternoon against a swarming Miami defense in the windy conditions at Ralph Wilson Stadium."

And therein lies the problem. As also noted in a D&C article: "...head coach Chan Gailey figured the only way to attack was through the air. However, with Trent Edwards reverting to his reliance on short passes, and the offensive line unable to give him enough time to do much of anything else, the passing game was muted as well."

The problem on Sunday was Chan thought he could turn the game over to Trent. What I can only hope he's now realized is that Trent cannot handle the job. The only way this team will find even modest success with Trent at QB is with a stong run game. They need to flip the numbers and run 37 times and pass 17. Otherwise, we'll lose every game until Trent gets his annual injury.

There have been several threads about how bad some of the other QBs around the league looked. But, what these people are over looking is at least they tried to play the position. Sanchez for all his suckiness tried to throw the ball, he just happened to be facing the Ravens D. Trent, on the other hand, doesn't even try. You can't be an NFL QB and be afraid to throw the ball. It's really just that simple.

Here's to hoping Chan realized what so many of us already know... you cannot put the game in Trent's hands. Establish a run game, use the wildcat, do anything; but do not rely on Trent to throw the ball 35-40 times a game.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps somebody with better insight knows, but I can't...for the life of me, understand Gailey's game plan for Miami. Throughout his career, *prior* to the Tyler Thigpen experiment in KC during the later part of the 08 season, Gailey was all about run, run, and run some more. But yet, this last Sunday, the scheme was very much pass oriented and put on Edwards' shoulders.

I'm not usually one to agree with Sully on anything but I think he might be touching on a bigger issue here. In the article he mentions that when the QB switch was made last year no one had Edwards back.

On Sunday during the game I noticed something that I thought was particularly odd. When Edwards gets hit, knocked down or sacked there never seems to be anyone around him helping him up. He also took a couple of high shots, perhaps borderline cheap yet not one of the Bills players retaliated.

Is it possible that the players on the offensive side of the ball just don't like Trent?

Perhaps somebody with better insight knows, but I can't...for the life of me, understand Gailey's game plan for Miami. Throughout his career, *prior* to the Tyler Thigpen experiment in KC during the later part of the 08 season, Gailey was all about run, run, and run some more. But yet, this last Sunday, the scheme was very much pass oriented and put on Edwards' shoulders.

Exactly. Why? With 3 supposed top tier backs, we only run 17 times? Gailey needs to figure out pretty quick where the stregth of this team is... and it's not at the QB position.

I'm not usually one to agree with Sully on anything but I think he might be touching on a bigger issue here. In the article he mentions that when the QB switch was made last year no one had Edwards back.

On Sunday during the game I noticed something that I thought was particularly odd. When Edwards gets hit, knocked down or sacked there never seems to be anyone around him helping him up. He also took a couple of high shots, perhaps borderline cheap yet not one of the Bills players retaliated.

Is it possible that the players on the offensive side of the ball just don't like Trent?

I think it's entirely possible. Everything about the guy says he lacks the confidence of a leader, from his body language to his press conferences to his demeanor on the field.

I've never played organized football. But, I've watched a heck of a lot of it and I've never seen a nonchalant, taking what the defense gives him QB lead a team to any measure of success. I'm sure the other players haven't either.

Lee Evans is the "go to guy" to gauge the players perspective....he is without a doubt the most honest.

he doesn't need to "look at the tape" to tell you what went right or wrong.

It's time for Trent to go. The fact that he isn't already cut has sealed my opinion that Gailey, like Jauron is a mere puppet for the profiteer.

It's time for Trent to go. The fact that he isn't already cut has sealed my opinion that Gailey, like Jauron is a mere puppet for the profiteer.

Agreed. My opinion on Gailey took a huge nose dive when he gave Trent the starters job and then let him throw it 35 times.

I lost all confidence in Nix when he failed to adress the offensive line and QB position during the offseason, the 2 biggest needs on the team.

Profits are going to be dwindling if they keep foisting these boring bastards on us. Looked like there were a lot of fans dressed as empty seats after halftime this past Sunday. Going to be more and more of them if they keep starting Capt. Checkdown to lead a boring offense.

Profits are going to be dwindling if they keep foisting these boring bastards on us. Looked like there were a lot of fans dressed as empty seats after halftime this past Sunday. Going to be more and more of them if they keep starting Capt. Checkdown to lead a boring offense.

Huzzah to the fans if that actually, finally, after ten+ long years happens. Say no to blackmail.

What you are forgetting is that Miami was putting 7 or 8 in the box and not playing their safetyis off the line of scrimmage much. Basically their message to the Bills was we are not going to let you run on us and we dare you to win with Edwards arm. We all saw how that went.

As much as I dislike Sully and his usual negative whining and general douchebaginess, I think he's spot on on this one as well.

Evans tries, but fails to hide frustration.

"Gailey put his trust in quarterback Trent Edwards, who had a miserable afternoon against a swarming Miami defense in the windy conditions at Ralph Wilson Stadium."

And therein lies the problem. As also noted in a D&C article: "...head coach Chan Gailey figured the only way to attack was through the air. However, with Trent Edwards reverting to his reliance on short passes, and the offensive line unable to give him enough time to do much of anything else, the passing game was muted as well."

The problem on Sunday was Chan thought he could turn the game over to Trent. What I can only hope he's now realized is that Trent cannot handle the job. The only way this team will find even modest success with Trent at QB is with a stong run game. They need to flip the numbers and run 37 times and pass 17. Otherwise, we'll lose every game until Trent gets his annual injury.

There have been several threads about how bad some of the other QBs around the league looked. But, what these people are over looking is at least they tried to play the position. Sanchez for all his suckiness tried to throw the ball, he just happened to be facing the Ravens D. Trent, on the other hand, doesn't even try. You can't be an NFL QB and be afraid to throw the ball. It's really just that simple.

Here's to hoping Chan realized what so many of us already know... you cannot put the game in Trent's hands. Establish a run game, use the wildcat, do anything; but do not rely on Trent to throw the ball 35-40 times a game.

When a defense has 11 guys within 5 yards of the LoS they are daring you to throw the ball. It really is the only choice you have. Unfortunately we failed miserably in that regard.

I do think that Gailey won't hesitate to pull the plug on Edwards if he can't get it done. If he does Trent's career as a QB is over.

This is indeed what has been sold to us by some, that he was all about the run. Not particularly true, though. Gailey was the offensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos in 1989 to 1990, his first coordinator job.

1989: 474 pass attempts and 554 runs

1990: 527 pass attempts and 462 runs

He hasn't always been about the run. He's about whatever he thinks will work. In 1990, the Broncos were the 8th best offense in the league.

The Gailey-led Cowboys:

1998: 474 pass attempts and 499 rushes

1999: 507 pass attempts and 493 runs

I'm not even going to bother looking up his stint at Miami.

Miami showed so little respect for Edwards that they loaded the box with up to 9 players at times. No one is running against that type of defense. When the other team basically laughs at the QB you have in there and dares him to throw the ball more than 5 yards, and he doesn't even try to do it, you have a problem...

This will likely continue until Edwards throws some deep balls to force teams out of it, or he gets pulled, at which time, Fitzpatrick will definitely let it fly. Many times 10 yards over the head of the intended receivers, 5 yards to either side of him, or 4 yards out of bounds on an out pattern, but at least he will throw the ball.

Does anyone else get the idea that this was Trent's "open audition" with the team? Like Gailey basically said: "I'm going to make him throw to see if he's got it" to which Edwards failed miserably.

Edwards has maybe two games left as the starter. His days are numbered.

When a defense has 11 guys within 5 yards of the LoS they are daring you to throw the ball. It really is the only choice you have. Unfortunately we failed miserably in that regard.

I do think that Gailey won't hesitate to pull the plug on Edwards if he can't get it done. If he does Trent's career as a QB is over.

Bingo. Gailey even said as much in his press conference. "You have to be able to throw the ball to get them out of that." You can't fault Gailey for not running the ball if every defender is within 5 yards of the LOS. The disrespect for TrINT was so apparent, that the Miami DB didn't even bother following Roscoe down the seam on the TD throw. Why defend players that run down the field if the QB has thrown nothing but 2-5 yd passes ALL game? Nix sees what we see, Gailey sees what we see, and we see what we've seen the previous 3 years: TrINT just doesn't have it. Rest assured, Gailey WILL NOT continue to blame himself for the lack of offensive execution. At some point, if TrINT's ineptitude continues, you will see QB2 step onto the field.