Everyone needs to watch this

Got_Wood

In the first play of this highlight video, Karlos Dansby runs around the left edge of our offensive line untouched and drills an unsuspecting Edwards in the back. The first thing that comes to mind is, who missed their blocking assignment??? How can someone go untouched to the QB so easily? Bell must have missed a block right?

But after further review, this tells you more about Trent Edwards being completely oblivious to TWO linebackers STACKED on the left side of the line before the snap. And not just any linebackers... it was Karlos Dansby and Cameron Wake, the Dolphins best defenders. And Edwards has NO CLUE that they're about to trample his back side. He simply walks up to the line of scrimmage, takes the snap as if it doesn't matter what defensive formation he's playing, and drops back for a pass.

YOU HAVE TO BE AWARE OF THE DEFENSIVE FRONT BEFORE THE SNAP TRENT!!! Unless you want to be a human punching bag, call out the blitzing backers/defensive ends/corners/safeties BEFORE THE PLAY STARTS. Being a QB is not just about running plays and executing. We'll see new defeses every week, and you have to adjust to the way teams play you.

Watch the first play of this video. Pause it right before the snap, and look at the defensive front. And watch how Trent has no idea of what's about to happen.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a78282/Dolphins-vs-Bills-highlights

Funny thing is that Trent did see it. He was pointing it out to the O-line. then he lined up and snapped the ball and completely ignored it. He must have assumed they had somebody assigned to pick that guy up and he must have just focussed on doing his job of finding a receiver and taking for granted that his teammates would do their jobs. Otherwise, he is a complete idiot.

In the first play of this highlight video, Karlos Dansby runs around the left edge of our offensive line untouched and drills an unsuspecting Edwards in the back. The first thing that comes to mind is, who missed their blocking assignment??? How can someone go untouched to the QB so easily? Bell must have missed a block right?

But after further review, this tells you more about Trent Edwards being completely oblivious to TWO linebackers STACKED on the left side of the line before the snap. And not just any linebackers... it was Karlos Dansby and Cameron Wake, the Dolphins best defenders. And Edwards has NO CLUE that they're about to trample his back side. He simply walks up to the line of scrimmage, takes the snap as if it doesn't matter what defensive formation he's playing, and drops back for a pass.

YOU HAVE TO BE AWARE OF THE DEFENSIVE FRONT BEFORE THE SNAP TRENT!!! Unless you want to be a human punching bag, call out the blitzing backers/defensive ends/corners/safeties BEFORE THE PLAY STARTS. Being a QB is not just about running plays and executing. We'll see new defeses every week, and you have to adjust to the way teams play you.

Watch the first play of this video. Pause it right before the snap, and look at the defensive front. And watch how Trent has no idea of what's about to happen.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a78282/Dolphins-vs-Bills-highlights

I was so supremely disappointed after those first three plays of the game and especially that sack there. Little has changed, awful play calling, awful blocking, clueless QB, and all of 20 seconds off the game clock.

Am I the only one who thought we had a better chance of scoring whenever the D was on the field. I just felt like Florence/McKelvin would take one of Henne's forced passes to Marshall to the house. Sad state of our offense to feel that way I guess.

Trent's Pre snap thoughts: Alright, I got 2 safties high, 2 LB's loading up the box....I wonder what shape cookies I should bake with my sister tonight, Unicorns or rainbows......HIKE!

I'm guessing Trent leans more toward the rainbows.

I love everyone put that on Trent when someone missed an assignment. He did point, and yeah in a 3/4 they might not of come. I am not making excuses for Trent by saying it he stunk it up for sure but that sack I don't think so.

Bell had two guys to block and he went for Wake. If Trent had half a brain on that play he would have shifted Spiller to the other side to protect his blind side. But he went ahead like he didn't see it coming at all.

im not making any excuses for the mess of a QB that is Trent Edwards, but our tackles played the worst game ive ever seen from any offensive linemen ever. Bell got beat like a drum EVERY PLAY, and most of the time #55 on Miami wasnt even using moves or bull-rushing. Bell was just backing up and backing up right into the QB. it was pretty sad.

Trent sucks, we all know it. but dont expect ANYTHING from this offense until the edges are fixed, no matter the QB.

The only thing that is keeping my from running over my own head is the hope that Gailey will see what the glaring weaknesses are a make a change.

indeed, thats what i was thinking last night too.

I love everyone put that on Trent when someone missed an assignment. He did point, and yeah in a 3/4 they might not of come. I am not making excuses for Trent by saying it he stunk it up for sure but that sack I don't think so.

Shouldn't Trent assume some of the blame?

He should know that the guy may come unblocked and should be ready for it, not stand there like a statue and take a hit.

You see good QB roll away from pressure or otherwise adjust to it. Trent knew it was coming and just stood there.

It wasn't Bell's fault.

TG even commented on that blitz in his blog, in his article about Dansby.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/17953/karlos-dansby-hits-ground-bills-running

Bell did his job and picked up Wake. What Trent was supposed to do was recognize the possibility of a 2 on 1 blitz on his left side, and either shift the protection to that side, or find the hot-route that Dansby would have had to cover had he dropped into coverage.

Trent did neither, and got punished for it. Don't blame Bell - he actually did a decent job this game. I thought it was promising.

Don't blame Bell - he actually did a decent job this game. I thought it was promising.

forgetting about this one play, and talking about the game as an entirety, i absolutely disagree.

i watched Bell get beat all day, to the point it was a bit sad and disgusting. he was completely out-matched most plays.

i had/have hopes for Bell, but he had a rough day yesterday.

Edited by DrDankenstein

I agree that the sack was not Bell's fault. It's up to the QB to change the protection.

There's a lot not to like about Trent Edwards as a football player. For me, that video shows my #1 complaint. Inability to read defense and adjust accordingly. He can read and master a playbook, but not play football.

I'm not saying you have to be Peyton Manning out there and go through a ridiculous three hour pre-snap routine, but come on, you really did not see those two linebackers?

Sad part is this is a simple overload blitz.he has seen that since high school..he has 2 options move the back before the snapto the opposite side or roll right after he snap...while reading pre-snap is not easy in this case Miami showed it and delivered it.

A little later in the game ( I think it was the Bills second possesion) Miami ran a similiar blitz, but Trent was aware and moved slightly right and completed a short pass to Nelson.

He should be able to identify this 100% of the time.

forgetting about this one play, and talking about the game as an entirety, i absolutely disagree.

i watched Bell get beat all day, to the point it was a bit sad and disgusting. he was completely out-matched most plays.

i had/have hopes for Bell, but he had a rough day yesterday.

I guess I'll defer to you on this one - I thought I saw different. Will have to watch the game again before I can say definitively that I'm wrong, but I'll trust your eye here. Anyone else see?

Funny thing is that Trent did see it. He was pointing it out to the O-line. then he lined up and snapped the ball and completely ignored it. He must have assumed they had somebody assigned to pick that guy up and he must have just focussed on doing his job of finding a receiver and taking for granted that his teammates would do their jobs. Otherwise, he is a complete idiot.

First you said that then you said this

Shouldn't Trent assume some of the blame?

He should know that the guy may come unblocked and should be ready for it, not stand there like a statue and take a hit.

You see good QB roll away from pressure or otherwise adjust to it. Trent knew it was coming and just stood there.

I am not sure why you say both things, so are you saying he should know his left tackle will blow his assignment?

The left tackle is supposed to pick up the outside blitz-er unless the Defense shows a weak side overload(OLB and Safety Blitz) when the Rb or FB is lined up on the strong side, but yeah, lets blame Trent.

This

Edited by bowery4

I guess I'll defer to you on this one - I thought I saw different. Will have to watch the game again before I can say definitively that I'm wrong, but I'll trust your eye here. Anyone else see?

I actually agree with you on this. A lot of Bell's play was overshadowed by one play he missed and got Spiller drilled. And one play that he wasn't even in the game. It was Meredith that got plowed backwards into Trent.

Bell didn't look great, but he looked better than I thought. Green made everyone else look bad on several occasions. I would love to see us get a big time LT and move Bell to RT. Or in the mean time, start Meredith on the right side until we have the opportunity to bring in a new player.

This is the proof for how well blitzes can be disguised in a 3-4. You just never know where the blitz will come from. Even the best QBs will be punched in their mouth in this situation.

There was no disguise - I believe this one might be on Spiller and Bell in combination - Spiller took off to run a route and paid zero attention to the Blitz. You would think someone would at least chip the LB'er.

The truth is that we didn't know the protection call, the routes or if Trent was empowered to call an audible. So assigning blame to anyone on that play isn't right.

However, I didn't need to watch the video to tell you that both Trent and the Oline suck. There were plays when the protection broke down and there were plays where Tretn couldn't do anything with the ball. Bottom line is the only way anyone could give a definitive answer is by talking to the coaches.

First you said that then you said this

I am not sure why you say both things, so are you saying he should know his left tackle will blow his assignment?

This

I guess what was most frustrating to me was that Trent initially diagnosed that there was a potential blitz coming from that side, but then just stood there and got drilled. If he knew it was coming, shouldn't have been prepared for the possibility that an assignment might get missed? (an aside: Is it possible that 1 player was left free by design? Sometimes offenses have to do this simply because of the number of blitzers, but the QB is supposed to be aware of who is coming unblocked and get rid of the ball, not just do a Bledsoe impersonation and crumble like and imploding skyscaper).

to summarize: half of us think it was trent's fault. the other half think it was bell's fault. we can all agree that it's bad when our qb gets sacked. i blame jor-on.

The half that think it is Bell's fault seem to assume that if Bell picked up the outside blitz and let the inside player go, that somehow Mary would have magically thrown the ball. This despite her career long reluctance to throw the ball in any situation.

This is the main reason why Edwards is so poor in the 3-4. He has no recognition of the linebacker formations in the scheme. I'm no expert, but its pretty obvious that he just simply doesn't recognize blitzes.

By the way, and I hate to continue to bash this guy, but did anyone see his post-game quotes? Its the same old garbage from him. When he is simply going to say, listen, that was a terrible game, I am responsible, and I need to get better. No excuses.

No more of this, "I have to watch the tape bull ****" or "thats a good defensive football team over there, I credit the other team" or "I'm still excited, no reason to be down or to be disappointed" or "I dunno if we really got him going the way we needed to (speaking about Spiller)"

Now here is the thing, if Trent Edwards was a winning QB or the Bills were a winning team, I'd see those as honest quotes that are a sign of a leader. Clearly staying positive and what not. But, this is like the boy who cried wolf. Every week, its the same story, the same quotes. Its nauseating. I'm not even sure if Trent believes them anymore. I'd rather have him say, "we simply stunk and I need to get better". Or to maybe get pissed off at the reporters or something. Anything to show that he is an actual leader. Its one thing to say the right thing, its a whole other thing to actually follow through. He's a good kid, but its evident to everyone (and I have to imagine Nix took note) that he isn't the right player to lead this team.

Just a few things to note:

1) Trent talked in his post-game PC about their 10 play drive to score the TD. He explicitly mentions how the Dolphins were playing off the ball, a prevent defense if you will, which then allowed him to "hit his guys underneath". Which made me realize just how incapable Trent is of working against an aggressive defense that stacks the box. He is a west coast offense QB, who really relies heavily on underneath routes. The problem with that is, every single defensive coordinator knows this. They cut off the intermediate routes and force Trent to make a good throw in one on one coverage. The routes that work best in this type of coverage are 15 yard slants and outs and everyone who has watched Trent play knows that he simply CANNOT make those throws. He is just not the type of QB with the arm strength, accuracy, or decision making skills to make a team pay with 15-20 yard completions.

2) Listen to Edwards talk about the Parrish play. As he admits, it was straight up blown coverage by the Dolphins. No one picked Roscoe up. This made me think about it and I looked into some of Trents previous TD throws. So many of his TD passes seem to be on blown coverage. This guy just cannot make the right throw to a receiver in traffic. Its too bad, because you can't succeed in this league if you can't do that (obviously). Now, of course, many passing TDs in this league are the result of blown coverage. I'm not saying every QB makes Peyton Manning throws to get his TD's. But, Trent won't even make the attempt. Part of it is probably not having much time, but I have to imagine, the other part is that Trent is just not that great of an in-game QB. He probably is great in practice settings. Smart enough to pick up the nuances of the game, says all the right things, etc. The kid clearly understands the game. But, it takes a unique kind of individual to execute and its unfortunate because he is simply NOT that kind of person.

I actually think the team will put up a good game against the Packers and show Bills fans something to cheer for. Not saying there will be a win, but I I think that Gailey is pretty good at getting his teams to rebound. But, no matter what, this QB situation has to be fixed.

+1 Great Post

The half that think it is Bell's fault seem to assume that if Bell picked up the outside blitz and let the inside player go, that somehow Mary would have magically thrown the ball. This despite her career long reluctance to throw the ball in any situation.

And if Bell DID pick up the outside blitz instead, then Mary wouldn't be able to step up and throw anyways because of an inside blitz in his face. But it's a moot point...Trent wouldn't have thrown the ball to begin with.