Week 1 - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

wardigital

Some Sabres forums that I post on will post a "Good, Bad, Ugly" thread after each hockey game. It's pretty self-explanatory. Every interested poster posts what they think was good, bad, and worst about the game.

Would it be cool to do one of those every week here at TBD? I know that there are a lot of threads that get started after the game that talk about particular subject matter within the game, but I thought it might be cool to have a thread every week where we divvy up and air our grievances. If not, and you'd rather merge or delete this, that's cool, too. Just a thought!

Here's mine:

The Good

- Defense. Kept the team in the game. Moats with a good play. Maybin made a few tackles.

- Spiller in open field.

- 'Scoe. My god. Welcome back, punt return game.

- David Nelson. He is a player. He should be on the field more than Stevie Johnson right now.

- Lindell. Could probably hit you a 58 or 59 yarder, and maybe we'll even get to see it this year instead of punting from the 32.

The Bad

- Lack of a run game. Put Spiller on the outside, but let Fred Jackson get the tough yards. FRED JACKSON CAN GET TOUGH YARDS.

- Tight Ends. Did we even play tight ends?

- Very little pass rush except when the Dolphins gave it to them.

- I don't even remember hearing Marcus Stroud's name today.

The Ugly

- Poz. "They call me Mr. Glass". He's okay when he's healthy, and just okay. He's never healthy.

- Could Gailey calling the plays from down low be a thing? They've got to run the ball better. And whatever it means. If it means playing Fitz, or Trent, or a Brohm, or a guy off the street, when the defense is daring you to throw down field, you've got to find a way to throw down field.

- Trent. Good guy, good athlete (not good QB). It's time to go. The Dolphins were, at a time, begging this guy to throw downfield and he just wouldn't until he was absolutely forced too. Two blatant interceptions dropped by the Dolphins.

- Cornell Green. Horrible, on a day when the offensive line pass protected at least a little bit.

Edited by wardigital

The Good

Good to see Buffalo Elvis & Bald Dude with helmet painted head

Weather looked good

Niagara Falls on one of the segments coming back from a commercial

Good cold beer today

No fumbles (should have been two interceptions)

Few penalties

The fact I'm on TBD with the faithful

The Bad

Losing to bad Miami team knowing we have little chance of winning next three games

With that line, will CJ survive the season?

Use of timeouts

The Ugly

Offense...QB & offensive line were pathetic

Tackling

Offensive play calling

Jimmy Johnson on Survivor...hope he gets bit by a Copperhead

Good: Parrish's touchdown. Game management towards the end of the game. It was nice to see a coherent strategy to get the ball back by allowing the snap to go out of bounds, thus taking the safety but saving time. The hurry-up scoring drive, and the Marshawn/ Jackson drive. Edwards (shut up, all of you!) actually had the body language and look of a starting QB. I'm happy that we finally have a coaching staff to support our QB to instill him w/confidence. WR, #86. not speedy, not elusive, but sure-handed and dependable. Our special teams coverage units improved from the preseason. Nice job.

And this is so good I will give its own paragraph. I have been a huge critic of Maybin. I think he was a wasted pick, and heavily (still) criticize Jauron/ Modrak/ whomever for drafting him in the first place when there was Oher and Orakpo on the board. Regardless, he played with fire and actually had some respectable plays against the Dolphins today- showing amazing burst, leaping ability, and determination. He picked up a few notches of respect from me today since he has been living in my basement for a long time.

Bad: Still no offensive tackles. RT Green getting beat on a speed burst for a sack of Trent. Our O-line's inability to move a single 90-year-old woman in a wheel chair let alone any member of the Miami defensive line. No pass rusher. 0. Nada. Our blitzes were good, but without them, we have nobody. Not establishing something of an offense in the first half.

Ugly: The first half offense. The offensive line. The pass rush. Did we lose Pozluzny AGAIN?!!? Tackling by the first and second tier defenders was abysmal at times. What point of hit, and wrap up don't these professionals understand?

I don't think it's going to get any easier from here on out. The Dolphins hardly look like playoff contenders, and we could have had this one. It reminded me of last years Cleveland game. Whichever team wanted it the least was going to lose. This one was not quite that bad, but our offensive ineptitude to even put up field goals baffles me.

Edited by Red

defense was far from good....they couldn't tackle, they played soft on receivers....it was brutal....the only good i saw was the 2 minute offense that scored the TD...thats about it...the rest was bad and ugly....

Agreed...They gave 5 yards on 1st down way too many times and then let the dolphins convert on 3rd and long....Very disappointing.

****ty penalties at the worst time

What game were you watching?

They had like 2 penalties the whole game....

...and in fact, if I remember correctly it was Incognito who had a drive-killing penalty of false start for the Dolphins.

defense was far from good....they couldn't tackle, they played soft on receivers....it was brutal....the only good i saw was the 2 minute offense that scored the TD...thats about it...the rest was bad and ugly....

Really? It was their first game in a new scheme under a new coordinator and they kept Brown and Williams in check, only allowing a 3.7 yard per rush average. Held Dolphins to a 4.1 yard per play average and under 300 yards of total offense, when they had over 70+ plays. How much more do you want? I thought they played a really good game, all things considered, especially considering they had no pass rush, Henne had to hold the ball a lot because of the great coverage by our secondary, and forced a bunch of punts in the 2nd half by the Dolphins. They have no real LB's in there other than Andra Davis after Poszluzny got hurt, and they still gave the O a chance at the end of the game. Were you expecting them to throw a shutout? Most teams switching defenses like that are horrible until midseason. Get some knowledge of how things actually work in football before posting such rubbish.

Good:

I thought the defense played pretty well especially in the second half

Roscoe Parrish looked pretty good returning punts

Bad:

Chris Kelsay looked VERY slow at times I really don't think he is cut out to play OLB. I found myself wanting them to replace him with Maybin.

Ugly:

Everything to do with the last drive.

Everything to do with the next-to-last drive.

The burden of both fail drives, I have to believe falls on Edwards.

Wait until this team plays a real playoff contender, week three Patriots

From what I saw the entire team is bad, players and coaches...

. Gailey didn't have a better game plan then AVP or the turd, he didn't call a better plan either. Exactly what scheme was it they were trying to utilize?

or next week against the Packers.

Neither Good, Bad, nor Ugly, but instead I'll go with: Confusing.

Gailey has stated that the Bills were going to be a more run-oriented offense, we heard that all offseason and all preseason.

Is there anyone out there who can explain to me why our offense started the game in shot gun formation with 3 & 4 WR sets? We saw that on the first two series. I thought we were going to use the run to set-up the pass? WTF?

Some Sabres forums that I post on will post a "Good, Bad, Ugly" thread after each hockey game. It's pretty self-explanatory. Every interested poster posts what they think was good, bad, and worst about the game.

Would it be cool to do one of those every week here at TBD? I know that there are a lot of threads that get started after the game that talk about particular subject matter within the game, but I thought it might be cool to have a thread every week where we divvy up and air our grievances. If not, and you'd rather merge or delete this, that's cool, too. Just a thought!

Here's mine:

The Good

- Defense. Kept the team in the game. Moats with a good play. Maybin made a few tackles.

- Spiller in open field.

- 'Scoe. My god. Welcome back, punt return game.

- David Nelson. He is a player. He should be on the field more than Stevie Johnson right now.

- Lindell. Could probably hit you a 58 or 59 yarder, and maybe we'll even get to see it this year instead of punting from the 32.

The Bad

- Lack of a run game. Put Spiller on the outside, but let Fred Jackson get the tough yards. FRED JACKSON CAN GET TOUGH YARDS.

- Tight Ends. Did we even play tight ends?

- Very little pass rush except when the Dolphins gave it to them.

- I don't even remember hearing Marcus Stroud's name today.

The Ugly

- Poz. "They call me Mr. Glass". He's okay when he's healthy, and just okay. He's never healthy.

- Could Gailey calling the plays from down low be a thing? They've got to run the ball better. And whatever it means. If it means playing Fitz, or Trent, or a Brohm, or a guy off the street, when the defense is daring you to throw down field, you've got to find a way to throw down field.

- Trent. Good guy, good athlete (not good QB). It's time to go. The Dolphins were, at a time, begging this guy to throw downfield and he just wouldn't until he was absolutely forced too. Two blatant interceptions dropped by the Dolphins.

- Cornell Green. Horrible, on a day when the offensive line pass protected at least a little bit.

Actually a pretty good assessment. The defense did play well inspite of being on the field for 37-38 minutes of the game (and numerous short breaks due to the number of offensive three and outs) and the lack of a pass rush. Given an entirely new scheme as well - I thought they did well. Unfortunately, the lack of a pass rush is a serious problem, particularly when they face quarterbacks like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Special teams played well also.

The offense is a different story - or more accurately - the same old story. It will look exactly the same until this coaching staff devises, and the players execute, some strategies to counter eight and nine men in the box. There were times I counted 10 defensive players within two yards of the line of scrimmage (not counting short yardage situations) - and no answer for it (just like last year...and the year before...and the year before...) frustrating.

Neither Good, Bad, nor Ugly, but instead I'll go with: Confusing.

Gailey has stated that the Bills were going to be a more run-oriented offense, we heard that all offseason and all preseason.

Is there anyone out there who can explain to me why our offense started the game in shot gun formation with 3 & 4 WR sets? We saw that on the first two series. I thought we were going to use the run to set-up the pass? WTF?

I think it was, in some respects, a reaction to the Miami defense. They were stacking the box and testing the O-Line on run blocks (the tackles are bad going upfield, they'd probably be bad run blocking down field, and they were right)

In my opinion, the remedy to that was to hit some passes over the top early, but they instead chose to go to some outside runs and screen plays/check downs. Now that's either on Trent or Gailey, I don't know who. I have an opinion, but it's only that, and that is that it's probably Trent. I think that if you want this guy to throw the ball more than four yards down field with any sort of confidence or consistency, you pretty much have to take the backs off the field and just use a blocking tight end or something. But it seems to me that if and when Trent has the opportunity to check down or go to the screen, he does. Sometimes the pocket collapsed, but in many instances the pocket was still there and Trent either bailed out and abandoned the down field play or just went straight to his check down option.

But I think what falls on Gailey is that early on, there was too much Spiller, not enough Jackson. Jackson/Lynch (but especially Jackson) need to get more carries than they got today. Fred Jackson gets tough yards. Spiller is great in space, but he's not going to get space between the tackles, not on this team, not against every team in the league that's going to dare us to pass the football.

So I think it's a combination of game plan and execution.