Wondering about Levi Brown

Ennjay

I don't get it. They scouted the guy in college, drafted him, said after the draft that he was the QB who they were taregeting, and then worked with him all through preseason and training camp (and praised his development). Pretty harsh to conclude after his first, brief, live NFL action that he's not worth developing for the future. It sure seems like either the scouts messed up or the coaches messed up.

Well, you've got to take any and all propaganda that comes out of OBD with a large grain of salt... they are only feeding the sheep. They only burned a 7th round pick on him, no great loss.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So...you agree that it would be a valid point. In so many words you just admitted to being negative for the sake of being negative.

Uh, what? No. I'm saying they wasted 2 draft picks, which sucks. I'm not saying we're going 0-16 or that we should all boycot the team. But the fact that they hit on some UDFAs doesn't excuse it. And the fact that they're 7th round picks doesn't excuse it, either. We have Bell and Steve Johnson starting right now. This roster can't afford too many draft day misses.

Uh, what? No. I'm saying they wasted 2 draft picks, which sucks. I'm not saying we're going 0-16 or that we should all boycot the team. But the fact that they hit on some UDFAs doesn't excuse it. And the fact that they're 7th round picks doesn't excuse it, either. We have Bell and Steve Johnson starting right now. This roster can't afford too many draft day misses.

The difference between a 7th round draft pick and an UDFA who is pursued by a few teams and signed the next day after the draft is microscopic. It amounts to a flip of a coin, a hunch, position battles, the GM thinking one player is a wee bit better and the coach and scouting department thinking different guys are a wee bit better, the guys they drafted before, etc. There is no difference in talent or talent evaluation of the scouts between a 7th round pick and a guy like David Nelson.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

The difference between a 7th round draft pick and an UDFA who is pursued by a few teams and signed the next day after the draft is microscopic. It amounts to a flip of a coin, a hunch, position battles, the GM thinking one player is a wee bit better and the coach and scouting department thinking different guys are a wee bit better, the guys they drafted before, etc. There is no difference in talent or talent evaluation of the scouts between a 7th round pick and a guy like David Nelson.

Well, a cynic could argue that the difference is that a 7th round pick signs a longer, more expensive contract that doesn't cause a cap hit if you cancel it during an uncapped year, so if you're trying to save some $$ and you don't think that the player is likely to stick in the long run, this is the year to cut bait... like I said, a cynic could argue that. If there were any cynics around here.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I think the biggest issue here is, you think of a late round pick that doesn't make the team, as a "wasted pick". Late round picks are usually long-shots to make the team, but you pick a guy who looks like he might be able to compete, sometimes at a position of need. You might get him UDFA, but if you really want to give him a shot, you use the 7th pick.

I would argue Brown was nowhere near a wasted pick. His performance was good enough to get praised from the HC and build a base of supporters among Bills fans. Obviously he performed at a level that was good for his draft position. I'd also argue that performance helped the overall level of competition a the QB spot. Fitz and Brohm maybe had to dig a little deeper, do a little more, in order to secure their roster position.

That's not a waste of a draft pick. That's the purpose of a 7th round QB draft pick.

Well, a cynic could argue that the difference is that a 7th round pick signs a longer, more expensive contract that doesn't cause a cap hit if you cancel it during an uncapped year, so if you're trying to save some $ and you don't think that the player is likely to stick in the long run, this is the year to cut bait... like I said, a cynic could argue that. If there were any cynics around here.

A 7th round pick pretty much signs for the minimum, with bonuses that usually include cents signs after them. As does an UDFA usually without the marginal bonus. The cap hit for a 7th round pick is pretty much as low as it can possibly be. Nice try though, if you were a cynic.

gee felluz,

lets pretend that we had a lot more draft pix:

8. WR Dave Nelson

9. LB Antonio Coleman

10. G Cord Howard

11. RB Joique Bell

12. SS Dominique Harris

13. WR Naaman Roosevelt

14. FB Rodney Ferguson

WOW, our 7th round pix didn't even make the PS, but we did great in rounds 8-14.

there, now everyone can marvel at the genius of 1 Bills dr. :flirt:

~AS

I don't get it. They scouted the guy in college, drafted him, said after the draft that he was the QB who they were taregeting, and then worked with him all through preseason and training camp (and praised his development). Pretty harsh to conclude after his first, brief, live NFL action that he's not worth developing for the future. It sure seems like either the scouts messed up or the coaches messed up.

Tells you what they thought of the other QB's in the draft. Maybe Fitz and Brohm showed more potential than Brown. If you figure Brohm is the development project, Fitz is the reliable back up and TE is the starter, then Brown is well... where he is now. Wish him the best. Tossed the rock around with nice zip.

It is definitely possible that the "developmental QB" position was a two person competition from the beginning. If so, that was asking a lot of Brown, to come in and be more polished than someone who had been in the League for awhile. But it's possible.

Is any of that true? Where did you get that info? I've never heard that he showed up "totally out of shape" and "unprepared." What's the source there?

Saw it with my own two eyes at camp. He was the only on the 4 sucking wind throughout the QB drills. His throwing motion is witnessed on his youtube vids. Unprepared---see above.

The draft isn't an exact science. One can be the greatest talent evaluator in the NFL and still "miss" on a draft pick - because nobody really knows until the players get to camp. Some perform as expected, some surprise, and some disappoint. Calling out the front office as "wasting" a draft pick and insinuating they didn't do their jobs properly (all done in hindsight no less) - on a 7th round pick (or any round for that matter) - is rediculous. By your logic, the skills of the scouting staffs of every NFL team are suspect - because they all "miss" on draft picks. It's the nature of the process.

That is not what PTR is saying. If it were, it would be a valid point. As I said elsewhere in this very thread, I do give them credit for finding UDFAs. That's great, they should be applauded for it. However, they also should be taken to task for botching a pick. But the answer "it's just a 7th round pick, who cares?" is ridiculous - we have 7th round picks starting at LT and WR on this team.

The scouts and FO need to use their draft picks wisely. They've already given up on 2 players from this year's draft. Not even adding them to the PS - just gave up on them completely, it appears. I don't think that gets offset by hitting on a few UDFAs - you should be able to do both.

Look, I'm not saying that the scouts are total garbage - I'm saying it's disappointing that they wasted 2 draft picks. It's a valid point, it's not overly pessimistic, it's not a bash, and it's not a crusade. Frankly, I'm surprised it's even controversial.

What's the historical probability a 7th round draft pick makes the NFL roster of the team that drafted him? Before you call two cut 7th-rounders "wasted" picks I would think you have that statistical information to back up your assertion the Bills' scouts didn't do their jobs.

Again, I am NO expert, but I'd venture a guess that most football personnel men feel that after about the 5th round, the remaining players fall into the same general category. 6th rounder, 7th rounder, UDFA...if you hit on those you've made a real find, and if you don't, it's not a big deal.

That's why I (and several others, clearly) believe your point is not "valid."

Right. Ok. You've drawn me out again with your ridiculous homerism. The fact that the FO may have found a few good UDFAs is great. Does it excuse all of their other failures? How about finding an NFL-caliber QB or a decent offensive line? That's too much to ask PTR? Because they hit on UDFAs it excuses their misses on draft picks? Excuse me, but you're the idiot, defending every single move this failure of an organization makes, and consistently attacking everyone who questions it. You're a moron, and a homer, and by far the most annoying poster on this Board. You know NOTHING about football, and you're not even consistent in your abject fanboyness - after Week 1 of the preseason, you started a thread apologizing for your ridiculous behavior, which you've since resumed. Now, if you would please, go back about your business and return to your role as Official OBD Fluffer, and kindly leave me alone.

OK, so you just turned a thread about cutting a 7th round rookie QB into how the FO sucks and has sucked for the past 10 years, even though we now have a new guy calling the shots? No one cares if Levi Brown makes an NFL roster or stacks groceries except Levi and maybe his mom.

So accepting the fact that the Bills over the past 10 years have been almost as horrible as you can be as far as drafting is concerned, what about cutting our 7th round draft pick QB because he was clearly the worst of the four QBs on the roster makes that point relevant or more valid?

You two obviously are having a little spat judging by the insults leveled at each other, but in the first line of your post you say, "OK. You've drawn me out again..." and then end it by saying, "...now kindly leave me alone." Are you just reading his posts and getting more and more angry, only to finally lose it and have to express your anger/frustration via post? I think you need a hobby that doesn't involve the computer.