Preseason 3 "Gameday" thread Cincy @ Buffalo

Skoobydum

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, did anyone else notice D Nelson at the gunner position on the punt. Possibly a sign that he might make the team as a 5th or 6th receiver and seeing what he can do on special teams. He doesn't appear to be the quickest guy out there to play that spot on ST but maybe he's earned a WR spot. Just an observation.

FWIW, did anyone else notice D Nelson at the gunner position on the punt. Possibly a sign that he might make the team as a 5th or 6th receiver and seeing what he can do on special teams. He doesn't appear to be the quickest guy out there to play that spot on ST but maybe he's earned a WR spot. Just an observation.

He's already made the team. He very well might be the 4th WR.

Love the quote in the sig. However my favorite Stewie quote to Meg may be when he says "Yes, now you can be somewhere else when the boys don't call."

He earned a spot a couple weeks ago. I think he is a lock.

Totally agree he looks to be a lock... Maybe signaling Hardy out..

CJ Spiller is the truth...anyone questioning why the Bills drafted a guy that can turn a 10 yard run into a TD shouldn't be questioning it anymore...the dude just makes things happen, sometimes out of nowhere...

He earned a spot a couple weeks ago. I think he is a lock.

I hope so, the guy is a STUD at WR and how he went undrafted is beyond me. I guess most teams get enamored with speed and forget about the guys that run routes well and catch the ball.

I would love to see D. Nelson as a #3 or #4 WR and getting touches every week. He might even give Roscoe a run just based on his size and ability to get open in space.

Edited by flomoe

For whatever reason, he just wasn't very productive at Florida. He only had 46 catches in four years, and 25 of those came this past season.

The way Florida spread the ball around, 25 is a lot and does late bloomer sound right for this kid? I sure hope so because he looks a lot like a modern version of Dwight Clark. IMO

I hope so, the guy is a STUD at WR and how he went undrafted is beyond me. I guess most teams get enamored with speed and forget about the guys that run routes well and catch the ball.

I would love to see D. Nelson as a #3 or #4 WR and getting touches every week. He might even give Roscoe a run just based on his size and ability to get open in space.

With the draft at 7 rounds instead of 12, there are many good players undrafted. Looks like we found one.

I didn't get to see last week's game. But, in comparison to the Redskin game... there is no comparison. The team looked generally competitive and well-coached.

The first team defense still needs a lot of work. They gave up alot of plays to Palmer. So much for the leagues #1 backfield, I suppose. I'm guessing the switch to a 3-4 and moving everyone out of position is going to take longer than some might have hoped. I saw alot of guys just out of place or a step late to the ball. Maybe with some serious game planning, they can get some of that speed back. (Oh and for the Maybin haters.. I don't get it - the guy is 100% effort on every play. I wish we had more like him.)

The first team offense impressed me. Great play calling. Trent took a couple of shots downfield. Spiller is definitely the real deal, but I can't wait for Lynch/Jackson to get back. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by their play.

Love the quote in the sig. However my favorite Stewie quote to Meg may be when he says "Yes, now you can be somewhere else when the boys don't call."

That's a great one too. There are so many good one-liners on that show. Some of the best ones are between and Brian and Stewie when they are going at it about who is gayer(more gay, whichever works). Classic stuff.

Just finished watching the game on DVR. Here are my thoughts on the game (not that most of you care, of course):

•  
  • Please spare me the excuses for poor special teams play; it's just bad. Plain, bad. The excuse that it's just scrubs...well, that's usually who's on kickoff coverage anyhow! This is a big concern and it's not going away any time soon. It's not just coverage units - it's return units too. I am less than thrilled with our new (old?) ST coach.
  • Horribly officiated game - several no-calls on obvious holding calls, a bad phantom holding call early, and what was that PI called against Florence in the second half? Also, Lankster probably should have been called for one in the end zone.
  • Speaking of, Lankster has the physical skills, but he doesn't seem to have the ball skills and as such is a liability in coverage. I don't think he's going to make the team. He's been burned for big plays too many times this off-season. Reggie Corner doesn't look good, but he looks better than Lankster (although I think Lankster has better speed).
  • Now I understand why people hate Donte Whitner - he makes a horrible play (WTF was he doing during the first TD?), and then comes back and makes a great, physical play (hitting Cedric Benson, denying him a first down). He's drafted #8 overall and makes some big mistakes in coverage (just like he did vs. Indy and vs. Cincy already this year), but he plays well enough otherwise to start. He needs consistency, but if he doesn't have it by now, does he learn it? I'm not so sure. But he's been solely responsible for a touchdown each of the last two games, and even with Byrd out, you can't have that.
  • I don't know if James Hardy makes this team, but if he does, it's not for anything he did this last game; he certainly didn't do anything against Cincy to help his cause - two drops and one penalty hurt his stock. Didn't look like his head was in the game. I hope he does make the team, he was a force at Indiana, and he's got great size and good enough speed, but he's got to show something against Detroit.
  • Chad Jackson disappeared. He's my pick for "surprise" cut, especially after some people called him a lock for the #2 spot after the last game.
  • McKelvin is another guy that needs to play with more consistency. He got abused by Chad Johnson on the 2nd touchdown, but played well otherwise. The kid is a talent.
  • Chris Kelsay should only play in spot duty; he has no business playing LB. He's horrible in coverage. Wouldn't be surprised if he got cut, but ultimately he probably makes the team.
  • Marcus Stroud played well, despite what the troll said before. Made some plays and looks like he's making the transition to DE very well.
  • Can't wait for Shawn Nelson to get back. We need a playmaking TE on this team. Stup played well, but Nelson is a playmaker.
  • Our whole offensive line looked shaky at times. Wood made some bad plays, as did Levitre. But Cornell Green is just terrible. D. Bell played poorly early but rebounded well against a very tough opponent in Antwaan Odom.
  • I like Roscoe in on so many plays. I never understood why this hasn't been the case for years. We need to get the ball in his hands 5-10 times per game on offense.
  • Steve Johnson might win the #2 job by default. You're asking a lot for Nelson to do it as a rookie UDFA and no one else is stepping up to take it, least of all Hardy. I'm sort of reminded of an old Giants game I watched when their #2 went down and they had Daryl Jones in the game and the announcers called him out on running "decoy routes." While I don't think that's the case with Stevie, I wonder how much Trent is going to look his way this season.
  • Kept an eye out for Aaron Maybin, yet didn't see much. Someone tried to credit him with an "inside move" late in the game sacking Jordan Palmer, but that sack was McCargo's, Palmer was on the run at that point, and Maybin got lucky (the RT had no idea where the QB was at the time). That's not what an "inside move" is. I guess he also forced the intentional grounding by J.T. O'Sullivan, but I'll have to watch it again. Overall, I wasn't impressed by Maybin. He played a lot and showed a little. He certainly loves to celebrate it though, doesn't he?
  • Did anybody else have the Bengals second drive completely erased except for the touchdown? Did that happen during the original broadcast, or just the replay?
  • Edwards played very well. John Clayton's right, he'll never be elite, but he can be serviceable if he continues to play as well when the games really count. If he actually hit that bomb to Evans people here would be going nuts. He does look a lot more comfortable back there despite the line not changing much from last year. He's got to stop telegraphing his throws though (he did it twice to Parrish really badly).
  • Our defense is going to be really, really bad this year. Run defense and pass defense. We have no pass rush and our LB corps might be the worst in the league. That's a bad combination.
  • Fitz is almost certainly the #2. He's earned it. Brohm makes the squad, but I think he stays in the basement until TE gets injured.
  • The Wildcat doesn't work if there's no threat to throw the ball. Direct snapping when Trent is out wide won't fool anyone come the regular season.
  • I love Spiller, but he's got to be better in pass protection, especially with this line.

Just finished watching the game on DVR. Here are my thoughts on the game (not that most of you care, of course):

•  
  • Please spare me the excuses for poor special teams play; it's just bad. Plain, bad. The excuse that it's just scrubs...well, that's usually who's on kickoff coverage anyhow! This is a big concern and it's not going away any time soon. It's not just coverage units - it's return units too. I am less than thrilled with our new (old?) ST coach.
  • Horribly officiated game - several no-calls on obvious holding calls, a bad phantom holding call early, and what was that PI called against Florence in the second half? Also, Lankster probably should have been called for one in the end zone.
  • Speaking of, Lankster has the physical skills, but he doesn't seem to have the ball skills and as such is a liability in coverage. I don't think he's going to make the team. He's been burned for big plays too many times this off-season. Reggie Corner doesn't look good, but he looks better than Lankster (although I think Lankster has better speed).
  • Now I understand why people hate Donte Whitner - he makes a horrible play (WTF was he doing during the first TD?), and then comes back and makes a great, physical play (hitting Cedric Benson, denying him a first down). He's drafted #8 overall and makes some big mistakes in coverage (just like he did vs. Indy and vs. Cincy already this year), but he plays well enough otherwise to start. He needs consistency, but if he doesn't have it by now, does he learn it? I'm not so sure. But he's been solely responsible for a touchdown each of the last two games, and even with Byrd out, you can't have that.
  • I don't know if James Hardy makes this team, but if he does, it's not for anything he did this last game; he certainly didn't do anything against Cincy to help his cause - two drops and one penalty hurt his stock. Didn't look like his head was in the game. I hope he does make the team, he was a force at Indiana, and he's got great size and good enough speed, but he's got to show something against Detroit.
  • Chad Jackson disappeared. He's my pick for "surprise" cut, especially after some people called him a lock for the #2 spot after the last game.
  • McKelvin is another guy that needs to play with more consistency. He got abused by Chad Johnson on the 2nd touchdown, but played well otherwise. The kid is a talent.
  • Chris Kelsay should only play in spot duty; he has no business playing LB. He's horrible in coverage. Wouldn't be surprised if he got cut, but ultimately he probably makes the team.
  • Marcus Stroud played well, despite what the troll said before. Made some plays and looks like he's making the transition to DE very well.
  • Can't wait for Shawn Nelson to get back. We need a playmaking TE on this team. Stup played well, but Nelson is a playmaker.
  • Our whole offensive line looked shaky at times. Wood made some bad plays, as did Levitre. But Cornell Green is just terrible. D. Bell played poorly early but rebounded well against a very tough opponent in Antwaan Odom.
  • I like Roscoe in on so many plays. I never understood why this hasn't been the case for years. We need to get the ball in his hands 5-10 times per game on offense.
  • Steve Johnson might win the #2 job by default. You're asking a lot for Nelson to do it as a rookie UDFA and no one else is stepping up to take it, least of all Hardy. I'm sort of reminded of an old Giants game I watched when their #2 went down and they had Daryl Jones in the game and the announcers called him out on running "decoy routes." While I don't think that's the case with Stevie, I wonder how much Trent is going to look his way this season.
  • Kept an eye out for Aaron Maybin, yet didn't see much. Someone tried to credit him with an "inside move" late in the game sacking Jordan Palmer, but that sack was McCargo's, Palmer was on the run at that point, and Maybin got lucky (the RT had no idea where the QB was at the time). That's not what an "inside move" is. I guess he also forced the intentional grounding by J.T. O'Sullivan, but I'll have to watch it again. Overall, I wasn't impressed by Maybin. He played a lot and showed a little. He certainly loves to celebrate it though, doesn't he?
  • Did anybody else have the Bengals second drive completely erased except for the touchdown? Did that happen during the original broadcast, or just the replay?
  • Edwards played very well. John Clayton's right, he'll never be elite, but he can be serviceable if he continues to play as well when the games really count. If he actually hit that bomb to Evans people here would be going nuts. He does look a lot more comfortable back there despite the line not changing much from last year. He's got to stop telegraphing his throws though (he did it twice to Parrish really badly).
  • Our defense is going to be really, really bad this year. Run defense and pass defense. We have no pass rush and our LB corps might be the worst in the league. That's a bad combination.
  • Fitz is almost certainly the #2. He's earned it. Brohm makes the squad, but I think he stays in the basement until TE gets injured.
  • The Wildcat doesn't work if there's no threat to throw the ball. Direct snapping when Trent is out wide won't fool anyone come the regular season.
  • I love Spiller, but he's got to be better in pass protection, especially with this line.

The second Bengals drive was deleted in the rebroadcast on NFLN.. Pretty lame editing.

RE: Wildcat.. Jackson threw a TD out of the wildcat last year. Think it's still a very viable set..

Steve Johnson made a couple key catches in traffic and felt he did pretty well in the game. I think he'll do just fine as the #2.. I hope they keep Nelson as the #4 and mix him in as much as possible.

I think our defense will be better than we've seen so far. They really haven't shown much. I think they are still tinkering and don't want to show much of our blitz packages yet. I also think special teams will be better as they've been trying out a lot of guys that won't even make the team.

Everything else in your assessment looked pretty good. :)