Colt McCoy may get cut...

Alphadawg7

Found this story online browsing around some football news...

The Cleveland Plain Dealer lists rookie Colt McCoy as one player in need of a strong showing over the final two games to make the Browns' roster.

It's exceedingly rare for an NFL team to give up on a third-round pick after one preseason, and it's hard to imagine McCoy passing through waivers. Still, McCoy has been dreadful in exhibition action (5-of-12 for 25 yards, two interceptions) and camp scrimmages while Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace have shined.

No, I dont want us to pick him up if he is put on waivers, I dont think he would make it in Buffalo. LeFevour is in danger of being cut in Chi too...this all just further illustrates how underwhelming this past QB class was and how it makes more sense to see what our guys can do this year and look at a QB next year if they falter.

Holmgren has taken control of the Browns franchise and after the draft he made clear McCoy was his choice. I guess they could try and get him on the practice squad, I just don't see it happening because Ratliff hasn't been much better and so I think Brett will be the one out. It's clear from watching McCoy that he hasn't adjusted to the NFL game plus his injured shoulder still hasn't regained all its strength. Holmgren's known for mentoring quarterbacks and I think that'll happen with Colt this year. To me, it's a bit early to judge the QBs in this year's draft.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, but I do believe that around this time last year, many folks (not just on here) were singing the praises of the current QB class. On paper, it looked as if they could all be world-beaters: Bradford, Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, Pike, LeFevour, and, the biggest tragedy of all, Jevon Snead, were all being projected to be successful at an NFL level.

I've made this point in the past. "Next year's class" is always better than this year's class. It happens every year.

So does this development show that we should or shouldn't feel comfortable putting Levi Brown on the ps? :unsure:

Clearly I believe that exposing Levi Brown wouldn't be a big deal.

There's a 50% chance of losing him and probably an equal chance that we'd end up with a player as good as he is.

I think all the agonizing over the possible loss of 7th round QB is a bit silly.

yeah, let's give 30+ million dollars of guarenteed money every year to the QB position. That will really fix the problems :rolleyes:

If there is a QB they think is worth it, then I say take it. Otherwise take a QB in later rounds and test him in camp. One of the worst things this organization did was keep hamden around and had him do nothing. They should have kept taking a qb in the later rounds and tested him out. With all the QBs that get picked up past the 5th round like Romo, Brady, and Hasselbeck, that is a risk that should have been made until we had a QB.

I say don't waste a high pick just because you need it. Only take the player if you think he will play well.

30 million huh?

Actually, it still wouldn't matter! They have sucked without wasting money and picks on highly ranked QBs (Losman the ONLY exception, him being one of only 2 first round QB's the Bills have picked in the draft).

They have sucked, and sucked, and sucked! And additionally been one of the dullest 3-n-out teams to grace the fields of the NFL!

They need a QB. Get a good one AT ANY PRICE!

Edited by ThrowIt

Sure we might lose Levi Brown…we might also gain McCoy or Lefevour, or someone else.

Why would we want to gain a guy who isn't able to even make it as a 3rd stringer the year he was drafted? You have to be REALLY, REALLY bad for a team to give up on you when they drafted you that same year...

I don't care if every rookie QB gets cut this year, they should still draft a a top rated guy every year until they find one that's worth a crap. The Bills aren't going anywhere until they have a decent QB. Considering how many high draft picks they have squandered, I would at least understand that they were attempting to acquire the centerpiece of the puzzle.

No offense....but this is why you should be a fan cheering on the team instead of making the decisions.....

- To keep using our top pick to draft a QB when the QB class is weak is SOOOOO a mistake? Have we not learned from years past that drafting for need in years where that position is weak just leads to more heartache?

- Lets keep in mind you are talking about the QB position....the most diva position in football and whoever we take at that top pick is gonna command HUGE money....not lets take a look at how active we are in free agency and how we hear this team constantly talk about biulding through the draft. So now you have take a subpar QB and paid huge money to them AND we wont get free agent linemen to protect him further hindering his progress and development......and in the end the QB leaves or is cut after taking a huge payday.....not a good idea.

That is why the certain picks in this draft made so much sense:

- Spiller...playmaker...difference maker.....scares opposing defenses....doesn't require perfect blocking to be effective CHARACTER GUY....a guy WORTHY of where he was drafted.

- Troupe....moving to a 3-4 with not a lot of pieces in place to do it. Legit NT.

- Carringiton.....moving to a 3-4 with not a lot of pieces in place to do it. Legit 3-4 end

Then after that they went for guys with high upside. Guys like Calloway and Easley have looked like dependable solid guys

Notice they didn't really reach anywhere in the draft.....

To me its perfectly obvious what they are doing.....they are going QB in next years draft and hope there is a salary cap in place so they can sign him. If I was a better man next years draft is gonna be QB, OT, LB

This is all just my opinion.

Why would we want to gain a guy who isn't able to even make it as a 3rd stringer the year he was drafted? You have to be REALLY, REALLY bad for a team to give up on you when they drafted you that same year...

oh frickin please with the couldn't make it as a third stringer crap. Do you really expect someone to be the same person in year 3 as in year one? is it not possible for that person to grow from year to year and learn more than when they started? If he's got the physical tools and the smarts, which i believe he has, why is it so unbelievable that he can become a good qb?(sorry, thought you were talking about brohm. its late) but either way, people develop.

No offense....but this is why you should be a fan cheering on the team instead of making the decisions.....

- To keep using our top pick to draft a QB when the QB class is weak is SOOOOO a mistake? Have we not learned from years past that drafting for need in years where that position is weak just leads to more heartache?

- Lets keep in mind you are talking about the QB position....the most diva position in football and whoever we take at that top pick is gonna command HUGE money....not lets take a look at how active we are in free agency and how we hear this team constantly talk about biulding through the draft. So now you have take a subpar QB and paid huge money to them AND we wont get free agent linemen to protect him further hindering his progress and development......and in the end the QB leaves or is cut after taking a huge payday.....not a good idea.

- Spiller...playmaker...difference maker.....scares opposing defenses....doesn't require perfect blocking to be effective CHARACTER GUY....a guy WORTHY of where he was drafted.

- Troupe....moving to a 3-4 with not a lot of pieces in place to do it. Legit NT.

- Carringiton.....moving to a 3-4 with not a lot of pieces in place to do it. Legit 3-4 end

Then after that they went for guys with high upside. Guys like Calloway and Easley have looked like dependable solid guys

To me its perfectly obvious what they are doing.....they are going QB in next years draft and hope there is a salary cap in place so they can sign him. If I was a better man next years draft is gonna be QB, OT, LB

I'm fine with the Spiller pick. Point is nothing is going to happen until they get an upper echelon QB here. Drafting a QB is a crap shoot. Last year wasn't the first draft that they needed a QB. Perhaps all this years QB's will suck. Perhaps next years will suck too, then this masterplan is back to square one. yes the Bills have improved, but it's always something like 7-9 back to 8-8, down to 4-12, up to 7-9, down to 6-10...... teams with these records are nowhere. The Bills are nowhere. Have been for 15 years.

Get a QB, whatever it takes. If they had traded their entire draft to Indy to select Peyton Manning do you think the team would have done worse then have. I know Manning is an exception, BVGIPYbfg[EQUWF-[9GHQWFVADEQWfwEFGERWdgv

Blah blah blah.

It's obvious the reason the Bills have sucked is because they don't have a QB. They still don't. Won't for awhile. Maybe not even before they leave Buffalo.

Actually the Bills have been somewhere......simply medicore

This means

- They aren't good enough to make the playoffs

AND

- They aren't bad enough to get a top 3 pick....which is what it would have taken to draft a franchise QB

Point in case.

Who is the one QB that was worth ANYTHING in this last draft.....Sam Bradford. Went number 1 overall....as bad as this team has been they have not been BAD enough to get in that range in the draft

So what do we have this year? A team that is probably not going to do well....are they intentionally going to lose? No.....is the talent level high? No......

New GM, New HC......the bills owner is gonna give them a pass this year. Everybody knows this next year is a good year to draft a QB

Edited by John from Hemet

I've made this point in the past. "Next year's class" is always better than this year's class. It happens every year.

I will be in Arkansas once again in mid September, and will be watching Ryan Mallett. He looks like a monster, and he isn't even the highest rated qb in college right now.

Although your point is well taken, 11 could be "the year."

oh frickin please with the couldn't make it as a third stringer crap. Do you really expect someone to be the same person in year 3 as in year one? is it not possible for that person to grow from year to year and learn more than when they started? If he's got the physical tools and the smarts, which i believe he has, why is it so unbelievable that he can become a good qb?(sorry, thought you were talking about brohm. its late) but either way, people develop.

That's the whole point...rookie QB's, especially ones that are drafted are usually given the benefit of the doubt multiple times. For them not to get that and get cut means they are beyond bad and the team feels they are hopeless...

Found this story online browsing around some football news...

The Cleveland Plain Dealer lists rookie Colt McCoy as one player in need of a strong showing over the final two games to make the Browns' roster.

It's exceedingly rare for an NFL team to give up on a third-round pick after one preseason, and it's hard to imagine McCoy passing through waivers. Still, McCoy has been dreadful in exhibition action (5-of-12 for 25 yards, two interceptions) and camp scrimmages while Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace have shined.

No, I dont want us to pick him up if he is put on waivers, I dont think he would make it in Buffalo. LeFevour is in danger of being cut in Chi too...this all just further illustrates how underwhelming this past QB class was and how it makes more sense to see what our guys can do this year and look at a QB next year if they falter.

This team has, by far, the worst QB roster in the league---and they are gonna dump their 3rd round pick in camp? What a mess!

The hype for next year's crop of QBs is already deafening. It's crazy.

Just a thought, but I do believe that around this time last year, many folks (not just on here) were singing the praises of the current QB class. On paper, it looked as if they could all be world-beaters: Bradford, Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, Pike, LeFevour, and, the biggest tragedy of all, Jevon Snead, were all being projected to be successful at an NFL level.

I disagree heavily with the strength of next year's class. Locker, in my opinion, does not have the decision-making ability that an NFL level QB needs. Luck could be very successful, but I think he needs more time to develop his game. Ponder and Pryor--no thanks, Pryor especially. It's the same knock that I have on Locker, but Locker is even more gifted athletically. The only QB I think will transition to do well in the NFL is Mallett.

I agree with everythign you say but the last sentence. Its no suprise to me that McCoy/Lefevour are struggling, Snead has already been cut, and that the top 3 are Bradford/Tebow/Clausen. It was fairly easy to see that happening. McCoy Im sure will be given the benifit of the doubt and I dont see him being cut.

Locker/Mallet/Pryor scare me. Pryor is a WR in this league if I am a scout - remember that fade rout he ran as a Frosh in the bowl game? He is a Calvin Johnson type athlete. Luck I hope and pray comes out. Ponder is in a make or break year but is not a top 10 guy. If Clausen can go in the second Ponder will too.

I am really hoping for a chance at Luck or a LT next year. Maybe even a OLB for our 34.

PS: I wonder how my late round Gem QB Jarret Brown is doing? He went undrafted but was picked up by the 49ers. Anyone seen him in PS action?

Great analysis. An emerging characteristic since Buddy Nix returned to the fold -- two drafts now -- is that they are drafting what seem to me to be high character kids, level-headed, non-egomaniacal, who also had a strong commitment to their academics.

This is how this story is relevant to Bills fans.

Many here are lamenting the possible loss of Levi Brown in the event that we waive him and he has to pass waivers to be put on the practice squad.

In truth, there are several teams just as heavily invested if not more, in their own young rookie quarterbacks.

Sure we might lose Levi Brown…we might also gain McCoy or Lefevour, or someone else.

There's a 50% chance of losing him and probably an equal chance that we'd end up with a player as good as he is.

I think all the agonizing over the possible loss of 7th round QB is a bit silly.

I didn't say we'd want McCoy. You're not understanding.

I think my point is clear.

If we lose Levi Brown, so what?

As a 7th round pick, players like him are a dime a dozen.

AND, most other teams and their fans are probably more interested in keeping their own quarterbacks than claiming someone else's on waivers. It's ridiculous to even worry about it, IMO.

I agree with everythign you say but the last sentence. Its no suprise to me that McCoy/Lefevour are struggling, Snead has already been cut, and that the top 3 are Bradford/Tebow/Clausen. It was fairly easy to see that happening. McCoy Im sure will be given the benifit of the doubt and I dont see him being cut.

Locker/Mallet/Pryor scare me. Pryor is a WR in this league if I am a scout - remember that fade rout he ran as a Frosh in the bowl game? He is a Calvin Johnson type athlete. Luck I hope and pray comes out. Ponder is in a make or break year but is not a top 10 guy. If Clausen can go in the second Ponder will too.

I am really hoping for a chance at Luck or a LT next year. Maybe even a OLB for our 34.

PS: I wonder how my late round Gem QB Jarret Brown is doing? He went undrafted but was picked up by the 49ers. Anyone seen him in PS action?

Why is Pryor just an athlete? He is a very young qb that just had his best game in the Rose Bowl. OSU has had very mediocre offensive talent the last few years & Tressel plays it very close to the vest.

I think Pryor's going to breakout in a big way this season.

From what I have read, I think that the orgainzation really thinks that Levi has the potential to be the starter over time and would not want to risk a 50/50 chance of losing him. Of course time will only tell.

Edited by ACor58

Why is Pryor just an athlete? He is a very young qb that just had his best game in the Rose Bowl. OSU has had very mediocre offensive talent the last few years & Tressel plays it very close to the vest.

I think Pryor's going to breakout in a big way this season.

He is an athlete much more than he is a QB. I cant think of a single NFL caliber pass he has read/thrown/completed.