Colt McCoy may get cut...

Alphadawg7

Found this story online browsing around some football news...

The Cleveland Plain Dealer lists rookie Colt McCoy as one player in need of a strong showing over the final two games to make the Browns' roster.

It's exceedingly rare for an NFL team to give up on a third-round pick after one preseason, and it's hard to imagine McCoy passing through waivers. Still, McCoy has been dreadful in exhibition action (5-of-12 for 25 yards, two interceptions) and camp scrimmages while Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace have shined.

No, I dont want us to pick him up if he is put on waivers, I dont think he would make it in Buffalo. LeFevour is in danger of being cut in Chi too...this all just further illustrates how underwhelming this past QB class was and how it makes more sense to see what our guys can do this year and look at a QB next year if they falter.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. A guy like Clausen looked better because there was a ton of crap. The top guy didn't play all season and got a serious shoulder injury in one of the few tiems he got hit in college. The 2nd QB off the board is learning how to throw a football again. The rest were passed on every team in the league, sometimes multiple times.

I love next year's draft. Locker, possibly Luck, Ponder, Pryor (I think he has a big year), and Mallett could be a very special group. I like all over those guys over any QB in this draft (though I won't have hated Bradford or Tebow - love the guy as a leader).

Found this story online browsing around some football news...

The Cleveland Plain Dealer lists rookie Colt McCoy as one player in need of a strong showing over the final two games to make the Browns' roster.

It's exceedingly rare for an NFL team to give up on a third-round pick after one preseason, and it's hard to imagine McCoy passing through waivers. Still, McCoy has been dreadful in exhibition action (5-of-12 for 25 yards, two interceptions) and camp scrimmages while Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace have shined.

No, I dont want us to pick him up if he is put on waivers, I dont think he would make it in Buffalo. LeFevour is in danger of being cut in Chi too...this all just further illustrates how underwhelming this past QB class was and how it makes more sense to see what our guys can do this year and look at a QB next year if they falter.

Good info, thanks for the post. The problems these guys are having at the pro level demonstrates why none of the people on this board (myself included) work as pro scouts. :)

Edited by need therapy

Well said. A guy like Clausen looked better because there was a ton of crap. The top guy didn't play all season and got a serious shoulder injury in one of the few tiems he got hit in college. The 2nd QB off the board is learning how to throw a football again. The rest were passed on every team in the league, sometimes multiple times.

I love next year's draft. Locker, possibly Luck, Ponder, Pryor (I think he has a big year), and Mallett could be a very special group. I like all over those guys over any QB in this draft (though I won't have hated Bradford or Tebow - love the guy as a leader).

Agree with everything but the Tebow part. I get the whole "leader" part, but thats what the coach is for, to be the leader. Of course my QB ideally is also a leader on the field, but leadership doesnt make up for poor mechanics, and his mechanics still look bad to me. I just dont think he will be a very good QB, and he wont seem nearly as good of a runner in the NFL as he was in college as the defesnses are much faster here. So while leadership is a great quality, his ability as a QB just isnt strong enough for me at this stage to be comfortable with him as a future starter.

Of course, thats just my opinnion, and obviously Denver saw enough in him to move up in the first for him...I mean he may end up putting it all together at this level, but he sure seems to need a lot of work on his mechanics to be able to do that.

Edited by Alphadawg7

This is how this story is relevant to Bills fans.

Many here are lamenting the possible loss of Levi Brown in the event that we waive him and he has to pass waivers to be put on the practice squad.

In truth, there are several teams just as heavily invested if not more, in their young rookie quarterbacks.

Sure we might lose Levi Brown…we might also gain McCoy or Lefevour, or someone else.

Agree with everything but the Tebow part. I get the whole "leader" part, but thats what the coach is for, to be the leader. Of course my QB ideally is also a leader on the field, but leadership doesnt make up for poor mechanics, and his mechanics still look bad to me. I just dont think he will be a very good QB, and he wont seem nearly as good of a runner in the NFL as he was in college as the defesnses are much faster here. So while leadership is a great quality, his ability as a QB just isnt strong enough for me at this stage to be comfortable with him as a future starter.

Of course, thats just my opinnion, and obviously Denver saw enough in him to move up in the first for him...I mean he may end up putting it all together at this level, but he sure seems to need a lot of work on his mechanics to be able to do that.

Yeah, I think Tebow is a longshot to make it as a legit NFL QB. But I loved the guy and just think he would find a way to help your football team in some way. If you got him in the 2nd, I think he could be a valuable pick.

But yeah, this draft was a bad one for QBs. The fact that Tebow was drafted in the 1st speaks volumes.

Keep in mind it's rare to find several solid Qbs in round 1. 2004 was the last. 1983 before that.

PTR

This is a reason why we can't put Brown on the practice squad. He will get gobbled up if he gets put on there. I think Fitz'z days in Buffalo are numbered. Hopefully we can get a late round pick for him instead of just realeasing him.

Come on Biscuit, here you go again slamming Clausen any chance you can. How the heck can you hold him accountable for looking better because the other QB's don't look good. That has nothing and I mean nothing to do with evaluating Clausen. Clausen went in the second round because Carolina had him as their BPA and or he fit a need and was worth a second round pick. The fact that other QB's in his class aren't doing well has no bearing on how he will do in the league.

I can't believe you wanted to pick Tebow? I guess you really bought into the Tebow hype? I would say you are in the minority. I would take Clausen over Tebow in a heartbeat. IMHO, it is not even close.

Edited by mpl6876

This is a reason why we can't put Brown on the practice squad. He will get gobbled up if he gets put on there. I think Fitz'z days in Buffalo are numbered. Hopefully we can get a late round pick for him instead of just realeasing him.

Yeah, I think we're going to cut Fitz. And I think he will end up on the Bears very quickly.

Come on Biscuit, here you go again slamming Clausen any chance you can. How the heck can you hold him accountable for looking better because the other QB's don't look good. That has nothing and I mean nothing to do with evaluating Clausen. Clausen went in the second round because Carolina had him as their BPA and or he fit a need and was worth a second round pick. The fact that other QB's in his class aren't doing well has no bearing on how he will do in the league.

I can't believe you wanted to pick Tebow? I guess you really bought into the Tebow hype? I would say you are in the minority. I would take Clausen over Tebow in a heartbeat. IMHO, it is not even close.

I will stop slamming Clausen. My feeligns about him are clear. I think he is a backup type QB. But it does matter what the other QBs were like. In any other draft, he'd be a middle round pick. This year, draft "eperts" had him as a top 10 type player. Obviously, the real NFL people don't agree with them.

And to clarify my point about Tebow. I never said he would be a good NFL QB. But I had no desire for Clausen and think even if Tebow doesn't become a franchise QB, he'd find a way to make some impact on the team (wildcat QB, playing another position). I'd much rather have a guy who can be a leader than another backup type QB.

This is how this story is relevant to Bills fans.

Many here are lamenting the possible loss of Levi Brown in the event that we waive him and he has to pass waivers to be put on the practice squad.

In truth, there are several teams just as heavily invested if not more, in their young rookie quarterbacks.

Sure we might lose Levi Brown…we might also gain McCoy or Lefevour, or someone else.

So does this development show that we should or shouldn't feel comfortable putting Levi Brown on the ps? :unsure:

Just a thought, but I do believe that around this time last year, many folks (not just on here) were singing the praises of the current QB class. On paper, it looked as if they could all be world-beaters: Bradford, Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, Pike, LeFevour, and, the biggest tragedy of all, Jevon Snead, were all being projected to be successful at an NFL level.

I disagree heavily with the strength of next year's class. Locker, in my opinion, does not have the decision-making ability that an NFL level QB needs. Luck could be very successful, but I think he needs more time to develop his game. Ponder and Pryor--no thanks, Pryor especially. It's the same knock that I have on Locker, but Locker is even more gifted athletically. The only QB I think will transition to do well in the NFL is Mallett.

Agree with everything but the Tebow part.  I get the whole "leader" part, but thats what the coach is for, to be the leader.  Of course my QB ideally is also a leader on the field, but leadership doesnt make up for poor mechanics, and his mechanics still look bad to me.  I just dont think he will be a very good QB, and he wont seem nearly as good of a runner in the NFL as he was in college as the defesnses are much faster here.  So while leadership is a great quality, his ability as a QB just isnt strong enough for me at this stage to be comfortable with him as a future starter.

Chan saw enough as well - but he also had the advantage of seeing what he was stuck with at QB in Buffalo.

Ralph sure got pissed when Denver out- foxed OBD.

Yeah, I think we're going to cut Fitz. And I think he will end up on the Bears very quickly.

I will stop slamming Clausen. My feeligns about him are clear. I think he is a backup type QB. But it does matter what the other QBs were like. In any other draft, he'd be a middle round pick. This year, draft "eperts" had him as a top 10 type player. Obviously, the real NFL people don't agree with them.

And to clarify my point about Tebow. I never said he would be a good NFL QB. But I had no desire for Clausen and think even if Tebow doesn't become a franchise QB, he'd find a way to make some impact on the team (wildcat QB, playing another position). I'd much rather have a guy who can be a leader than another backup type QB.

You may be right about him being a number 2 QB. I hear what your saying about the experts and they aren't always correct. Sometimes they over value or under value a player's talent/potential. We all know this is not a science. I for one wasn't advocating taking Clausen at pick 9. However, the stakes changed and the risk was lowered when he still was available at pick 41. IMHO, he was a "steal" at pick 41. He would have filled a major need and not broken the bank. Additionally, they could have had a quality NT at pick 3. However, I understand the stance that the Bills didn't think Clausen was their guy. I believe they had every intention of picking Tebow as reported on draft day. Boy, would I have been upset if that came to light. What we don't need is a project QB! That is why I am quite surprised you wanted Tebow. He will not be able to help a team for at least 2 or 3 years by most people's accounts. Leaders have to play and win. You stated "I'd much rather have a guy who can be a leader than another backup type QB." I know it is your opinion but you make the statement seem as though it's a fact. Clearly, it isn't fact. What I see you doing is stretching and looking for every possible angle out there to validate your viewpoint that Clausen won't be successful. Many of the points you have mentioned are not valid and hold little bearing on his success or lack of success. I could see if you said something like I don't think he reads defenses well, his arm strength is weak, he can't fit the ball into tight spaces/throw the "touch" pass, he has a long delivery, his footwork is poor, he appears to be unmotivated and lazy, etc... Instead, you talk about things like his won loss record at ND, his coach at ND, his upbringing, other fellow QB's in his draft class, his WR's at ND, etc...You follow what I am saying?

Edited by mpl6876

This all seems to be "one man's trash is another man's treasure." Two rookie QBs, a 3rd and a 7th rounder, can't make the 53-man roster on the 2 teams with the worst QB depth in the league, yet both said rookies would be snapped up if waived? Crazy.

I don't care if every rookie QB gets cut this year, they should still draft a a top rated guy every year until they find one that's worth a crap. The Bills aren't going anywhere until they have a decent QB. Considering how many high draft picks they have squandered, I would at least understand that they were attempting to acquire the centerpiece of the puzzle.

Yeah, I think Tebow is a longshot to make it as a legit NFL QB. But I loved the guy and just think he would find a way to help your football team in some way. If you got him in the 2nd, I think he could be a valuable pick.

But yeah, this draft was a bad one for QBs. The fact that Tebow was drafted in the 1st speaks volumes.

But look at all the second guessing that was done by this board when Chan passed them all up. Perhaps he was right all along and we the expert fans were completely off base.

I don't care if every rookie QB gets cut this year, they should still draft a a top rated guy every year until they find one that's worth a crap. The Bills aren't going anywhere until they have a decent QB. Considering how many high draft picks they have squandered, I would at least understand that they were attempting to acquire the centerpiece of the puzzle.

yeah, let's give 30+ million dollars of guarenteed money every year to the QB position. That will really fix the problems :rolleyes:

If there is a QB they think is worth it, then I say take it. Otherwise take a QB in later rounds and test him in camp. One of the worst things this organization did was keep hamden around and had him do nothing. They should have kept taking a qb in the later rounds and tested him out. With all the QBs that get picked up past the 5th round like Romo, Brady, and Hasselbeck, that is a risk that should have been made until we had a QB.

I say don't waste a high pick just because you need it. Only take the player if you think he will play well.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa