Ryan Mallett

I just spent a week in Little Rock, Arkansas, and was talking football with some of the locals. When I told them I was a Bills Fan, each and every one of them told me how great this kid is. One compared his arm strength (I know, not the most vital issue) to that of Drew Bledsoe.

Tell me, are they simply being partial to their home town product, or does he project to be a superstar as they claim?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#15 Ryan Mallett

Position: QB

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 238

Year: Redshirt Junior

City/State: Texarkana, Ark.

High School: Texas HS

Other College: Michigan

Experience: 1 Letter

He is tall. never seen anything on him.

I just spent a week in Little Rock, Arkansas, and was talking football with some of the locals. When I told them I was a Bills Fan, each and every one of them told me how great this kid is. One compared his arm strength (I know, not the most vital issue) to that of Drew Bledsoe.

Tell me, are they simply being partial to their home town product, or does he project to be a superstar as they claim?

I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up being the #1 QB taken when this college football season is all said and done.

He's been very good in college

He is not going to be a super star. He does have a very strong arm but his accuracy is very uneven. I remember when he went to Michigan and was the qb in waiting. When the Wolverines got a new HC in Rodgriquez he left because the HC was wedded to mobile qb system. I don't like system coaches. I much prefer a HC, at any level, who can adapt his system to the talents on his players.

Mallett is the type of player who is going to take time to develop as a pro starter. In my view, you don't throw him in the mix right away and let him sink or swim. He is the type of player you groom. RM is also the type of qb who needs good protection because for the most part he is a pocket qb who doesn't move really well. Mallett is like Bledsoe with the imposing arm but also the too slow motion. If you can't protect him exceptionally well you are wasting his down the field pasing abilities.

Without a doubt the Bills organization is one of the dumbest in the NFL. What the Bills should have focused on this offseason is building the OL, primarily at both tackle positions. Creating a situation where the infrastructure is in place so when they do get a franchise caliber qb he would have a much better chance to succeed. Getting your qb beat up and mangled is not the recommended way to develop him.

Most local fans focus on the qb when discussing the problems of the Bills. That is not their main problem. The truth of the matter is that the Bills' roster is very thin everywhere except at the defensive backfield. This backwater organization needs to add a lot more talent and have a fuller roster before they can be taken seriously. We are years away from that point.

I, too, was in Little Rock last week. It's obvious that the Razorback fans love the kid and they think they have as deep a receiving corps in college football. The problem with the team appears to be on defense so the pressure is going to be on the offense to put up plenty of points. With the SEC competition Mallett is going to face week in and week out, scouts are going to see what this kid is made of.

From what I've seen, I think he is very close to Jake Locker but certainly behind him a bit. I haven't seen enough of Andrew Luck to judge him.

There's definately going to be a degree of loyalty to their local product but Mallett has a big arm. He needs to improve this year though. I'll be looking to see more consistency and more polish to his game.

We're likely to have a poor record this year and therefore a high pick QB is likely. I'll be looking at Mallett, Luck, Locker, and Ponder all year. Should be an exciting race for top QB honors.

I, too, was in Little Rock last week. It's obvious that the Razorback fans love the kid and they think they have as deep a receiving corps in college football. The problem with the team appears to be on defense so the pressure is going to be on the offense to put up plenty of points. With the SEC competition Mallett is going to face week in and week out, scouts are going to see what this kid is made of.

From what I've seen, I think he is very close to Jake Locker but certainly behind him a bit. I haven't seen enough of Andrew Luck to judge him.

I just saw him on youtube, and he really does have a true cannon. His long outs reminded me a bit of Marino, and I haven't seen a player with a similar style in some time. He looks like Big Ben with more coordination and a better arm.

It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted but my guess is that if he stays healthy, he will be the first overall selection. We shall see.

I like Mallett alot last season and even started a thread on him (during the '09 season). Seems like even when he gets hit, he's so big the hit doesn't destroy him. Needs to work on his footwork a bit and short range accuracy, imo. Great pro potential though.

He looked like a bag of smashed a-sholes at michigan.

I was in A2 at the time he started. My impression was that he was a freshman with a gun for an arm, but no touch on the ball. Heaven help the back catching a dump off from him, cuz it was thrown as if he was trying to force the ball in over the middle. Other than that, what can you say about a freshman QB playing at the beginning of the end for the Maize and Blue? He wasn't in Rich Rod's plans (but then again, apparently neither was winning or bowl games). :wallbash:

Um...he looked like what, at Michigan? :wallbash:

Did he even play at Michigan?

He played his freshman year at UM when Henne got hurt. He transferred to Arkansas after Carr resigned/retired when it became apparent that Rodriguez did not have him in his plans because he wasn't mobile enough.

There's definately going to be a degree of loyalty to their local product but Mallett has a big arm. He needs to improve this year though. I'll be looking to see more consistency and more polish to his game.

We're likely to have a poor record this year and therefore a high pick QB is likely. I'll be looking at Mallett, Luck, Locker, and Ponder all year. Should be an exciting race for top QB honors.

You can watch Luck all you want this year, but there is no way he is going pro after only two seasons of college ball. Luck has a lot of potential, and has a chance of being a top QB, but he needs to stay in school. Going pro next year would be a mistake.

Without a doubt the Bills organization is one of the dumbest in the NFL. What the Bills should have focused on this offseason is building the OL, primarily at both tackle positions. Creating a situation where the infrastructure is in place so when they do get a franchise caliber qb he would have a much better chance to succeed. Getting your qb beat up and mangled is not the recommended way to develop him.

Great point! It's so bad that I think Darcy Regier would be an upgrade for them.

You can watch Luck all you want this year, but there is no way he is going pro after only two seasons of college ball. Luck has a lot of potential, and has a chance of being a top QB, but he needs to stay in school. Going pro next year would be a mistake.

It would technically be his third year in college, as he red shirted.

Thats really not much different than bradford, who missed 95% of last eyar with injury then came out.

I have a buddy from High School who is a big Michigan fan. He loved Mallett when he played at UM. I thought this Mallett kid was going to be the next Peyton Manning, the way my friend talked about it.

Ryan Mallett is the perfect QB for Buffalo...I would rather have him over Andrew Luck, and especially Locker.

Heading into the 2010 College season I have Mallet rated as the #1 pro QB prospect. Coming back to Arkansas for another year was a good move on Mallet's part and I think he should have another strong season.

What I like most about Mallet is his arm strength, and his pocket presence. He has the ability to fit the ball into very tight spots and his arm would be more than welcomed in Buffalo. His ability to step up and slide in the pocket in order to keep his eyes downfield for a split second more is also impressive.

The major concerns are his low completion percentage. Many people say his low completion percentage can partly be attributed to poor WR play and a lot of dropped passes, but you'd definitely like to see his completion % climb into the mid 60's. I believe last year it was in the mid-high 50's which isn't very good.

I had the chance to chat with Russ Lande (former NFL Scout, now w/ SportingNews.com) leading up to the 2010 NFL draft and he believed Mallett would've been a sure fire 1st rounder and the 2nd best QB in the draft not that far behind Bradford. Interestingly, Lande also added that Jake Locker would be a huge project for a 1st round prospect. Locker has obvious athletic talent and a great build, but when it comes to throwing the football and reading defenses he has a long way to go.

I know there is a ton of hype surrounding Locker heading into this season, but I believe Mallet will end up as the better pro QB.

I've seen the kid play a few times living here in SEC country, and not that I have enough basis to say this yet, but as of today I'm hoping the Bills do NOT draft him. We don't need another QB with a big arm, we need a QB with intangibles who is a GAMER. Aside from Flutie, we haven't had a gamer in here since Jimbo. That's a big reason why I think a lot of us are holding out some sort of hope for Levi. The guy has got some spunk to him and he rises up when the game calls for it. I don't see that at all in Mallet, and I think that all he'd do is set our franchise back by another 3-5 years.