more on Schobel

I don't have an issue with Schobel wanting to play for another team. The guy has been very loyal for Buffalo for 9 seasons. I want the guy to try and play 1 more year for us but if he wants to move on I think we have to just let him go. BUT we need to try and trade him and work something out between the two parties so that 1- Schobel gets to play for a good team and gets a legit chance to win. 2- Schobel plays for a team outside out division and that we control his landing spot 3- So that we get something back in return even if its only a late round pick.

The best way would be to make it so that Schobel works out a renegotiation of his deal with the Texans (Lets say he takes less about the same amount of money he would have signed for if he was released) and then the Bills trade him to the Texans for a 6th or 7th round pick. We get something for him as well as controlling were he goes and the Texans and Schobel get what they want as well.

Loyal players continue to want to play for the team that drafted them. The only way we could POSSIBLY get anything for Schobel is if Nix sticks to his guns and doesn't release him. This unfortunately means they would potentially have to pay $8 mil in dead weight for a useless player who doesn't have clue one about the 3 - 4 defense. It also assumes that some team would actually trade us something for a guy they expect to be released any day.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crying racism when it isn't warranted only creates a backlash from many folks who wouldn't normally view an issue through a racial or cultural lens.

You are part of the problem.

I'm not crying it. I am honestly part of the solution. Smart/nice people try to ignore it. Dumb people embrace it and are devious about it as it is no longer as socially acceptable as it was just 50 years ago. I have heard your point before. Sometimes it is valid. The mere mention of the word racism is now a bad thing. I agree so many times the "card" is so improperly played it is frustrating and shameful. The point however is that the phenomena still exists even though some claim it all too easily and frequently. Believe me, I DO NOT MENTION IT LIGHTLY. I feel that there is the potential that this is a difference maker for some.

An analogous statement would be. You're not paranoid if the really are out to get you. A poor choice of words perhaps but I hope the concept is not lost on you. It does exists. The complaint is made too often. Sometimes though it is completely warranted. Is it in this case? I don't know. I merely posed the possibility that this could be playing into the decision of some.

Then I ask in all sincerity....why are you still here? If this team is so evil at the top and incompetent on down, why hang out and torture yourself. It's almost like you enjoy it.

PTR

That is a fair question Promo, one that many of us probably ask ourselves.

In my case it comes down to loyalty to the team, WNY, and most of all Bills Fans. I think that we deserve more than to witness the same mistakes over and over. Now, a case can be made that we let our 3 most talented players walk away basically because they felt like doing so.

I ain't goin' anywhere in terms of being a Bills Fan. It's way too late, and a part of me even believes we will win it all some day. I hope we are both around to see it. :blink:

I have a suspicion, but I can't determine with 100% certainty, why the guy gets a pass from some who want to make excuses and don't call it what it is. For shame! Sometimes when I think about the possible reasons for why this guy gets a pass and others are vilified I lose some faith in human nature.

Is this in any way directed at me? :blink:

I'm not crying it. I am honestly part of the solution. Smart/nice people try to ignore it. Dumb people embrace it and are devious about it as it is no longer as socially acceptable as it was just 50 years ago. I have heard your point before. Sometimes it is valid. The mere mention of the word racism is now a bad thing. I agree so many times the "card" is so improperly played it is frustrating and shameful. The point however is that the phenomena still exists even though some claim it all too easily and frequently. Believe me, I DO NOT MENTION IT LIGHTLY. I feel that there is the potential that this is a difference maker for some.

An analogous statement would be. You're not paranoid if the really are out to get you. A poor choice of words perhaps but I hope the concept is not lost on you. It does exists. The complaint is made too often. Sometimes though it is completely warranted. Is it in this case? I don't know. I merely posed the possibility that this could be playing into the decision of some.

let me put this as politely as possible, as you've been going on and on and on about things you know absolutely nothing about, which leads me to believe that you are either drunk, delusional, and very likely a danger to yourself and others.

you've turned a thread about Aaron Schobel into some psycho-crazed commentary filled with capital-letter rants and far-fetched assumptions that do nothing to further your point, unless, of course, it is your intention to expose yourself as a crank and full-fledged baloney-babbler, and actually take seriously the thoughts that make the slow leak from brain to fingers and on to this board.

please prove me wrong by simply stopping. that way you'll be relieved of the weight of having to dump your waste upon us, and also allow us to pursue an actual discussion to its logical conclusion without having to wade through all this, well, crap.

sincerely,

jw

It was second hand from an awfully reliable source, but I called it third hand.

Yeah, John, this is awkward. Anyway...

well, given what you apparently know on the Schobel front, you've picked the pdadDy pony to back by agreeing, and i quote, with "everything" he's said. good luck with that.

i'll go with what i know.

jw

(edited)

Uh, when did the Schobel thing become a money issue? Or was he holding out for more money but didn't tell anyone but you? I appreciate you hate Ralph but please at least attempt to maintain some logic when harping on the old goat.

PTR

I agree with you that this retirement talk by Schobel was not about money. Schobel already turned the screws on the Bills by siting out a bunch of voluntary practices when the Bills overpaid Kelsay. The FO caved in the face of this Schobel hissy fit which is part of the reason he is due $8 million this year when most feel he is not worth it.

My sense is that this back and forth is about Schobel wanting to experience some playoff success as part of his career and that money has little to do with this situation.

Precedent was set by Clements and Peters. If one plays well, they can go. And, we have a 92 year old man calling the shots with the bottom line being how much money he makes. Winning games is less important.

But again, we will get through this as well because we are the best fans in America.

Actually I think it was Schobel who set a precedent for Peters. Schobel was correctly not pleased when the Bills overpaid Chris Kelsay and let the team know through back channels he was displeased and then he refused to participate in any of the voluntary off-season workouts.

The Bills FO caved and even though Schobel was under contract and had just been given a significant raise, the Bills gave him a new deal.

Peters saw how the Bills caved to this Pro Bowler and then when he not only was promoted to starting LT (his new contract was for starting RT money) Peters then tried the same OTA maneuvers.

The FO did not repeat their rolling over that they did for Schobel. However, I think a rational person needs to give Peters and his agent Parker credit because they stuck to their guns, Peters won another Pro Bowl nod and then the Bills FO caved to his demands by trading him so he got everything he asked for in a contract.

My sense is the Clements situation was not a precedent since MC was not under contract when the FO rolled over for him and promised not to franchise him. As far as Peters who set the precedent was the other way around.

Actually I think it was Schobel who set a precedent for Peters. Schobel was correctly not pleased when the Bills overpaid Chris Kelsay and let the team know through back channels he was displeased and then he refused to participate in any of the voluntary off-season workouts.

The Bills FO caved and even though Schobel was under contract and had just been given a significant raise, the Bills gave him a new deal.

Peters saw how the Bills caved to this Pro Bowler and then when he not only was promoted to starting LT (his new contract was for starting RT money) Peters then tried the same OTA maneuvers.

The FO did not repeat their rolling over that they did for Schobel. However, I think a rational person needs to give Peters and his agent Parker credit because they stuck to their guns, Peters won another Pro Bowl nod and then the Bills FO caved to his demands by trading him so he got everything he asked for in a contract.

My sense is the Clements situation was not a precedent since MC was not under contract when the FO rolled over for him and promised not to franchise him. As far as Peters who set the precedent was the other way around.

i've read through this several times. and the only thing about it that's in any way accurate is that Jason Peters is an LT (that is if you are referring to left tackle) and the Bills have an FO (front office).

other than spelling, nothing else is correct in this far-fetched and ultra-speculative post as far as what i know, have reported and others have reported.

:blink:

jw

That's how I remember it- but maybe we are victims of mass delusions .

There are 53 roster spots and five inactives every game. Despite what coaches repeatedly say, every team has guys who are functionally useless and never play. There's no reason he can't be one of those guys.

I can think of 6.025 million reasons.

You don't spend that kind of money out of spite or to teach a guy a lesson.

Personally, I expect Schobel will either retire or the Bills will let him go very late in training camp when it will be hard (but not impossible) for other teams to blend him into the mix. With a 20% chance of a trade for a 7th or if we're lucky, a 6th round pick.

It's not unreasonable to think there's a correlation between the Spiller negotiations and the decision to cut ties with Schobel. Ralph is going to have to come up with $20 million in guarantees and about $7 million per year to pay Spiller. Saving $8 million could go a long way to end the impasse.

Moreover, one could make the argument that they never intended to pay Schobel the $8 million and only made the decision public once he started looking for housing in WNY. It did seem strange that this was decided just as he seemed likely to play for the first time since January and was told he'd be released if showed up at St John Fisher (per JW).

Just wanted to say that it's not $8 mill at this point. Schobel already got paid a $2 mill bonus in March. From now, he will be paid only his salary, which is $6.025 mill as per rotoworld.

He'll be released, and they'll get nothing. That's my prediction. And it could've been done differently. If they were not inclined to pay him this year, why not try to trade him before the draft, when his value would've been at its highest? There is a good chance that at least a few 4-3 teams out there would've been interested. And the organization IS a joke. Yet another player plays chicken with the Bills and wins, and this time the Bills get nothing. You think it's a coincidence that Schobel all of a sudden today wants to keep playing football, after the Bills tell him they're "moving on" (whatever the hell that means)? Not a chance - Schobel knew exactly how to get exactly what he wanted, and he got it. Just like Peters.

And IMO all of this begs the question of why the Bills insisted on the 3-4 switch this year, without the players to fit that system. A more cynical mind might suggest that it was party of the "new" front office's longevity scheme - a brand-new defense without the players to run it is a ready made excuse when the team doesn't perform. As is failing to draft a franchise QB, or a LT to protect him...

Did you know that the Bills' ILB coach has never coached in a 3-4 defense? That the Bills' QB coach has never coached professional 4-down football?

I'll repeat: this organization is a sick joke.

Then go route for a different team if that is how you truly feel. Or do you just get off on trying to put people down. The front office put in excuses why the team did will not do well. When they win this year do not cheer for them. Just remember what a joke they are. And convince yourself why you should not be a fan of this team.

Just wanted to say that it's not $8 mill at this point. Schobel already got paid a $2 mill bonus in March. From now, he will be paid only his salary, which is $6.025 mill as per rotoworld.

He didn't get paid the $2 million bonus because he never showed up for his physical. If he shows up now, I don't know if he can still claim that bonus, so it may still just be 6 mil this year.

So you propose we pay him 6 million dollars this year to ride the pine?

can't answer for the OP, but...It's not my money so that's exactly what I propose.

Let him go for nothing and then watch him promptly sign elsewhere? No thank you.

Nix knows what game Schobel has been playing.

What do you expect him to do?

He is forcing him to wait as long as he can so he has less of s chance of getting on another team.

Schobel has been lying since day one and if you blame this on the Bills you are nutts.

I hope Nix plays as dirty as he can and then gets a draft choice..7th rounder would be more than enough...

Schobel is a lying gutless guy... he sure teaches his kids well !!!

It will be interesting to see if he reports, because if he does and passes a physical, he gets that $2M roster bonus (it's guaranteed). Then it will be interesting to see if they can find a trade partner, although that seems unlikely. And if they can't, it makes much more sense to keep him, since cutting him wastes that $2M and gives him what he wants. Keeping him forces him to either show up and play or retire, at which point they can go after the unamortized portion of his signing bonus, which will recoup that $2M roster bonus many times over.

let me put this as politely as possible, as you've been going on and on and on about things you know absolutely nothing about, which leads me to believe that you are either drunk, delusional, and very likely a danger to yourself and others.

you've turned a thread about Aaron Schobel into some psycho-crazed commentary filled with capital-letter rants and far-fetched assumptions that do nothing to further your point, unless, of course, it is your intention to expose yourself as a crank and full-fledged baloney-babbler, and actually take seriously the thoughts that make the slow leak from brain to fingers and on to this board.

please prove me wrong by simply stopping. that way you'll be relieved of the weight of having to dump your waste upon us, and also allow us to pursue an actual discussion to its logical conclusion without having to wade through all this, well, crap.

sincerely,

jw

Jw it is a shame that you have completely and totally missed my point. Your assertions are ridiculous and you are apparently trying to stir up some controversy on my comments on this subject. Unlike many of my other posts, my comments were calm, cool, collected and not rant filled. Unlike most of my posts I also attempted to show both sides and look at the situation objectively. That subject is too important and volatile for such careless tactics. "Danger to myself and others?" "Crank?" "Psycho?" I can only imagine your slew of personal attacks was meant as an attempt to discredit the messenger making a comment on a very serious subject. I would assert that you sir "are the problem" attempting to discredit any anyone that dares to speak to such an important and often misused topic in our country.

That's not true. He was not paid the $2 million in March because he did not take his physical.

i've read through this several times. and the only thing about it that's in any way accurate is that Jason Peters is an LT (that is if you are referring to left tackle) and the Bills have an FO (front office).

other than spelling, nothing else is correct in this far-fetched and ultra-speculative post as far as what i know, have reported and others have reported.

<_<

jw

I am happy to bow to your more correct research and memory as I think (or at least do this for pay rather than amusement as I do and have more time) as my memory grows less reliable as the years pass. However my foggy memory is that the order of activities here were:

1. Peters gets signed UDFA and cut and PS'ed. However, interest from other teams willing to sign him and add him to their active roster as is required for PS pick-ups forces the Bills to activate him or risk losing him.

2. The Bills activate Peters and attempt to use him as a 3rd TE but he proves to be either so excited or braindead he gets a penalty for playing TE with an OL # and not informing the refs. This is important as the # he has indicates that Mouse MacNally already has him tabbed as an OL player but he needs convincing that this is his best route to stardom and big bucks. Peters proves unblockable on ST (even blocking a punt and recovering for a TD and in conjunction with play in a real game and his career begins to take shape.

3. Peters relatively quickly picks up the RT position and forces his way on to the field with his superior play. Schobel meanwhile has already signed a rich extension to make him a Bill for a while at a pretty good pay level as he showed great determination as a rookie and likely was gonna be a double digit sack producer each year. He was fairly weak at the point of attack as a rookie (I remember him getting pancaked on one endzone run and the other side scored, but he improved his technique and improved how he used his strength so that he was better against the run while at the same time losing weight so he could do the DE job in the LeBeau/Gray's run blitz.

4. Kelsay signs an extension well after Schobel re-uped and the Kelsay extension was undeserved by his play in the eyes of most (except the FO and only their opinion counts). Schobel lets it be known (though there is no public hissy fit I remember that he is clearly the best DL on this team and should be compensated as such. It was then that he fails to appear at voluntary OTAS but the Bills FO rolls over quite quickly and he gets another rich extension though he is under contract.

5. Peters meanwhile signs a richer deal than most ever imagined as he is clearly the starting RT.

6. The Mike Williams reign of error begins to come to an official end as they try him at guard after he was an up and down performer at LT with a ton of psych work by JMac having to be done to get what they got out of him. Peters moves into the LT role and not only does the job but in fact wins the Pro Bowl popularity contest.

7. It is then I remember (perhaps falsely and I am happy for it to be demonstrated I am wrong if anyone wants to take the time) Peters and his agent Parker pursuing the Schoble model in the hopes that the Bills FO will roll over and extend a player under contract when conditions change. In my mind both Schobel and Peters were big boys when they signed their original deals and a case could be made they should have player for the huge sums they earned and not have required even huger sums to play a boys game.

Ironically, I think Peters actually has the better case if my recollection is not to Alzheimery as he signed an RT contract and actually became to the surprise of most the starting LT and was good enough even to win the Pro Bowl popularity contest (it by no means is a definitive measure of great play but also achieving it should not be totally ignored as though it is not a perfect or even great measure it is a good measure of good play).

At any rate, the Bills FO did draw a line not to pay Peters what the market was paying Pro Bowl LTs because Peters was fool enough to agree to an RT contract. However, the FO really screwed up badly when just as they overpaid Kelsay when Schobel was demonstrably better they overpaid the afterwards cut Dockery and Walker. I can easily see why Peters was cheesed about being the third best paid OL player when he is the only OL player to even sniff the Pro Bowl.

Even more ridiculous is that the Bills FO drew a line and decided not to pay Peters, but then rolled over and gave him exactly what he wanted by shipping him to Philly with him getting the LT deal he wanted. Meanwhile the Bills are left with the sorting between Bell, Meredith, and the now injured Wang for an LT.

Like, I said, I am happy to bow to your superior research skills (though I am quite impressed that my speeling was good since I often do TSW stuff while listening for my part in conference calls to come up with folks on different timezones than I). Did Schobel in fact get an extension and raise after Kelsay got signed? Did Schobel miss any voluntary workouts just prior to his extension? If not, my apologies and I stand corrected. One of the advantages of not doing this for pay is that even when wrong no harm no foul.

It will be interesting to see if he reports, because if he does and passes a physical, he gets that $2M roster bonus (it's guaranteed). Then it will be interesting to see if they can find a trade partner, although that seems unlikely. And if they can't, it makes much more sense to keep him, since cutting him wastes that $2M and gives him what he wants. Keeping him forces him to either show up and play or retire, at which point they can go after the unamortized portion of his signing bonus, which will recoup that $2M roster bonus many times over.

or he shows up 3 weeks late to camp, tries to play a position he has no qualifications for, in a defense he knows little about and the team has paid him 8 million for nothing. being willing to play does not equate to being the best option.

I am happy to bow to your more correct research and memory as I think (or at least do this for pay rather than amusement as I do and have more time) as my memory grows less reliable as the years pass. However my foggy memory is that the order of activities here were:

1. Peters gets signed UDFA and cut and PS'ed. However, interest from other teams willing to sign him and add him to their active roster as is required for PS pick-ups forces the Bills to activate him or risk losing him.

2. The Bills activate Peters and attempt to use him as a 3rd TE but he proves to be either so excited or braindead he gets a penalty for playing TE with an OL # and not informing the refs. This is important as the # he has indicates that Mouse MacNally already has him tabbed as an OL player but he needs convincing that this is his best route to stardom and big bucks. Peters proves unblockable on ST (even blocking a punt and recovering for a TD and in conjunction with play in a real game and his career begins to take shape.

3. Peters relatively quickly picks up the RT position and forces his way on to the field with his superior play. Schobel meanwhile has already signed a rich extension to make him a Bill for a while at a pretty good pay level as he showed great determination as a rookie and likely was gonna be a double digit sack producer each year. He was fairly weak at the point of attack as a rookie (I remember him getting pancaked on one endzone run and the other side scored, but he improved his technique and improved how he used his strength so that he was better against the run while at the same time losing weight so he could do the DE job in the LeBeau/Gray's run blitz.

4. Kelsay signs an extension well after Schobel re-uped and the Kelsay extension was undeserved by his play in the eyes of most (except the FO and only their opinion counts). Schobel lets it be known (though there is no public hissy fit I remember that he is clearly the best DL on this team and should be compensated as such. It was then that he fails to appear at voluntary OTAS but the Bills FO rolls over quite quickly and he gets another rich extension though he is under contract.

5. Peters meanwhile signs a richer deal than most ever imagined as he is clearly the starting RT.

6. The Mike Williams reign of error begins to come to an official end as they try him at guard after he was an up and down performer at LT with a ton of psych work by JMac having to be done to get what they got out of him. Peters moves into the LT role and not only does the job but in fact wins the Pro Bowl popularity contest.

7. It is then I remember (perhaps falsely and I am happy for it to be demonstrated I am wrong if anyone wants to take the time) Peters and his agent Parker pursuing the Schoble model in the hopes that the Bills FO will roll over and extend a player under contract when conditions change. In my mind both Schobel and Peters were big boys when they signed their original deals and a case could be made they should have player for the huge sums they earned and not have required even huger sums to play a boys game.

Ironically, I think Peters actually has the better case if my recollection is not to Alzheimery as he signed an RT contract and actually became to the surprise of most the starting LT and was good enough even to win the Pro Bowl popularity contest (it by no means is a definitive measure of great play but also achieving it should not be totally ignored as though it is not a perfect or even great measure it is a good measure of good play).

At any rate, the Bills FO did draw a line not to pay Peters what the market was paying Pro Bowl LTs because Peters was fool enough to agree to an RT contract. However, the FO really screwed up badly when just as they overpaid Kelsay when Schobel was demonstrably better they overpaid the afterwards cut Dockery and Walker. I can easily see why Peters was cheesed about being the third best paid OL player when he is the only OL player to even sniff the Pro Bowl.

Even more ridiculous is that the Bills FO drew a line and decided not to pay Peters, but then rolled over and gave him exactly what he wanted by shipping him to Philly with him getting the LT deal he wanted. Meanwhile the Bills are left with the sorting between Bell, Meredith, and the now injured Wang for an LT.

Like, I said, I am happy to bow to your superior research skills (though I am quite impressed that my speeling was good since I often do TSW stuff while listening for my part in conference calls to come up with folks on different timezones than I). Did Schobel in fact get an extension and raise after Kelsay got signed? Did Schobel miss any voluntary workouts just prior to his extension? If not, my apologies and I stand corrected. One of the advantages of not doing this for pay is that even when wrong no harm no foul.

i would rather gouge my eyes out with rusty thumbtacks than to spend the hours it would take to respond and correct what's been written above.

see, there's this thing, called the interweb or something, which you might want to refer to in your research. though i'd suggest you don't rely solely on what's been written on this board.

jw

Given Nix's putting himself in a position where he has told the other teams in the league that he doesn't want schobel here and he doesn't think Schobel is a valuable trade opportunity, most teams would just wait for the inevitable cut and go after him. Nix has pissed away a trade opportunity.

i would rather gouge my eyes out with rusty thumbtacks than to spend the hours it would take to respond and correct what's been written above.

see, there's this thing, called the interweb or something, which you might want to refer to in your research. though i'd suggest you don't rely solely on what's been written on this board.

jw

The Bills FO is actually in a difficult position. In the end, they are a business and one of the old saws that has some truth in it if one wants to remain a viable business is the customer is always right. Since perception is often reality, the Bills as a sound business needs to treat the perceptions written on this board as right (even if they might be incorrect).

This is one of the reasons why we fans depend on the media to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism about what the business of the FO says because in order to remain a viable business they too often will need to treat perception as reality even when perception is incorrect.

By maintaining a healthy skepticism toward what ever line the FO is selling this week we can find our way toward truth if the media does a good job of helping folks understand the truth.

I fully understand why one would not want to take the time to correct the record of the timeline on specific points. Even if one is getting compensated it can be tacks in the eye work.

It actually does not make a ton of difference in this case actually anyway as it seems pretty clear that the perception of most Bills fans is now that Schobel is a jerk the way he has gone back and forth on retirement and being a Bill. e is in an entertainment business and the perception from most fans is that he is a jerk and pretty much there fore he is.

As far as the FO goes, the perception is built on an 0 for the decade record of making the playoffs and the perception is correct also that they are jerks.

So say most customers IMHO and until they start winning the customer is right on this one.