more on Schobel

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then what is the alternative? Eat up a roster spot to punish Schobel by keeping him on the bench? Seriously, you act like it's so easy. If a player won't play, but reports, you're hands are tied unless you want to piss away a roster spot.

PTR

There are 53 roster spots and five inactives every game. Despite what coaches repeatedly say, every team has guys who are functionally useless and never play. There's no reason he can't be one of those guys.

It would be a shame to have to release Schobel and then watch him go play for another team. If the issue is

that his salary is too high to trade, but that he wants to play elsewhere, then perhaps he should workout a

reduced salary contract w Buffalo which will allow them to trade him.

I can't imagine it is a salary cap issue for the Bills as I think they are way under the "real" cap.

They need to try to leverage something out of this, even if it is only a 4th or 5th round choice in next year's draft.

They treated Schobel very well - paying him above what a good, but not great player is worth. He should be willing

to work with them to facilitate a trade where they can both get what they want.

It would be a shame to have to release Schobel and then watch him go play for another team. If the issue is

that his salary is too high to trade, but that he wants to play elsewhere, then perhaps he should workout a

reduced salary contract w Buffalo which will allow them to trade him.

I can't imagine it is a salary cap issue for the Bills as I think they are way under the "real" cap.

They need to try to leverage something out of this, even if it is only a 4th or 5th round choice in next year's draft.

They treated Schobel very well - paying him above what a good, but not great player is worth. He should be willing

to work with them to facilitate a trade where they can both get what they want.

Schobel could renegotiate his deal for a new team, can't he?

PTR

We could've gotten one more season of production...
Meh... I think the odds of him performing well at 3-4 OLB were pretty low at this point in his career. I wouldn't outright cut him though, he has some value to other teams. See what you can get for him & let him sit in the meantime.

I see it. I am asking you for your prediction, but as usual all you have to offer are snarky comments and blind acceptance of whatever self-serving spin spouts out of OBD's blowhole.

My prediction is they hang on to him as long as possible, but they don't waste a roster spot on him. So yes, eventually he may wind up on another team. But if Schobel never actually shows up at training camp, then he can't officially report. And if he doesn't officially report, then the Bills can hold his rights on the DNR list indefinitately.

PTR

Meh... I think the odds of him performing well at 3-4 OLB were pretty low at this point in his career. I wouldn't outright cut him though, he has some value to other teams. See what you can get for him & let him sit in the meantime.

exactly. has he ever played olb on any level? see if someone is willing to give up a pick for him, even if its a 7th rounder. if not, cut him.

exactly. has he ever played olb on any level? see if someone is willing to give up a pick for him, even if its a 7th rounder. if not, cut him.

Yeah, all these people that think that we can't at least get a 7th rounder for him are idiots. There will be a team that will be willing to part with at least a low round pick to make sure they get him, rather than fight for him in FA.

I see it. I am asking you for your prediction, but as usual all you have to offer are snarky comments and blind acceptance of whatever self-serving spin spouts out of OBD's blowhole.

Ironic you would call PTR out for snarky comments when your first comment is "This organization is a sick joke" without a full understanding of the comments made on both sides...

As for predictions, why make one? Or maybe why stick to one viewpoint, from one article (not surprisingly the one that supports your belief that the organization is "a joke")? Why get your panties all in a bunch? Either Aaron will be released, or traded, or not. We'll all find out over the next few weeks.

Nothing about that makes the Bills a sick joke, it just is what it is. Take time to let scenarios play themselves out before freaking out, it'll make life way less stressful...

I love the statement by the Bills organization that "it will be difficult to trade him". That's a good way to start a negotiation. You probably don't want this guy but we really don't want him at all and how about you take him for a draft choice. "Okay Buffalo, we'll take him and you give us a third." Oh...ok.

The guy is a viable starting defensive end in a 4-3. If we were in a 4-3 he'd be a lock at the position. HOW COULD HE BE DIFFICULT TO TRADE?

What exactly do you think we could have got for him?

I think the most telling fact is that the Bills did not even explore the possibility of a trade. Obviously he (Nix) wouldn't get much in return, but I think some effort should have been made!

There is no excuse for not exploring a trade.

I love the statement by the Bills organization that "it will be difficult to trade him". That's a good way to start a negotiation. You probably don't want this guy but we really don't want him at all and how about you take him for a draft choice. "Okay Buffalo, we'll take him and you give us a third." Oh...ok.

The guy is a viable starting defensive end in a 4-3. If we were in a 4-3 he'd be a lock at the position. HOW COULD HE BE DIFFICULT TO TRADE?

context might help and explain.

I think the most telling fact is that the Bills did not even explore the possibility of a trade. Obviously he (Nix) wouldn't get much in return, but I think some effort should have been made!

They didn't explore trade because they were waiting for schobel to make a decision. Of course, now they are going to explore a trade. But they didn't go behind schobel's back to trade him without giving him a heads up.

In Heitz's post #4 in this discussion states the Bills will explore trade options and "it is clear the Bills will not outright release him"

If Brown is correct, the Bills do plan on getting something for him and NBC Sports may be speculatiing. Imagine that!

I hope Buddy hasn't been talking to Marv lately. :)