If LeBron James doesn't re-sign with Cleveland...

Buftex

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilbert needs to put down his purse, take of the heels, get his panties out of a wad, and quit being a little B word.

LaBron's a douche, sure, but Gilbert is a friggin owner!

You think Gilberts letter is bad...read this interview he did with the AP, in reference to the Cavs loss in the Conference Finals, to the Celtics. Perhaps Mr Gilberts' animosity toward James didn't help?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38160678/ns/sports-nba/

"He quit," Gilbert said. "Not just in Game 5, but in Games 2, 4 and 6. Watch the tape. The Boston series was unlike anything in the history of sports for a superstar."

The Cavaliers were beaten by 32 points in Game 5. During the game, James appeared distracted and uninterested, often glaring at Cleveland's coaches as the Cavs tried to foul to get back into the game in the second half. James also made some puzzling postgame comments, saying he had "spoiled" people with his play over seven seasons.

Gilbert also said he believes James quit on the Cavs in Game 6 of their series in 2009 against Orlando.

"Go back and look at the tape," he said. "How many shots did he take?"

Did you all see the letter Dan Gilbert, Cavs majority owner, sent to Cavs fans tonight? Gotta say, it is seething with bitterness...I really do feel bad for that city, and that franchise. This is an unbelievable letter:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5365704

WOW!!

Props to Gilbert.

James is a narcissistic POS.

:rolleyes:

You think Gilberts letter is bad...read this interview he did with the AP, in reference to the Cavs loss in the Conference Finals, to the Celtics. Perhaps Mr Gilberts' animosity toward James didn't help?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38160678/ns/sports-nba/

"He quit," Gilbert said. "Not just in Game 5, but in Games 2, 4 and 6. Watch the tape. The Boston series was unlike anything in the history of sports for a superstar."

The Cavaliers were beaten by 32 points in Game 5. During the game, James appeared distracted and uninterested, often glaring at Cleveland's coaches as the Cavs tried to foul to get back into the game in the second half. James also made some puzzling postgame comments, saying he had "spoiled" people with his play over seven seasons.

Gilbert also said he believes James quit on the Cavs in Game 6 of their series in 2009 against Orlando.

"Go back and look at the tape," he said. "How many shots did he take?"

WOW x2

I thought he quit, too and the whole team did, too. That was the weirdest ending to a game I've ever seen, where they just gave up with over a minute left........And, then Lebron high fives everybody leaving the court, like he just won, and then rips his Cavs jersey off the second he gets in the tunnel.........That was very weird.

My take on the Mr.James situation

A wise man once said to be the man you gotta beat the man. Well in Lebron's case beating the man was kinda hard so he decided to just buddie up with two of his friends to make things easier. Jordan didn't go to Utah so Stockton could dish him the ball and Malone could clear the paint for him. NO Jordan made his team successful he embraced the challenge and came through it with 6 titles.

Yeah every Jordan needs a Pippen BUT isn't there a competitive fire that burns with anyone anymore in the NBA? 1 title in Cleveland means more then 4 in Miami. Lebron is a wimp with no fire to make his hometown proud. Yeah if he had signed a 3 year deal saying if they can't get a good team around me I will consider leaving I would have respected that. But up and leaving your hometown because winning is hard?

I read the Cavs owners letter (Which was an honest and open display of emotion) and he had a line in there about Lebron wanting to go to heaven without dying and that's not how things work. Well that's true he took the cowards way out. Loyalty, Ego, and Character all meant nothing to him. Winning even if it meant taking less money, taking less credit, not having to put in the work to obtain it, and leaving behind a fanbase (To which he was a hometown hero of) that loved and embraced him was all that mattered I hope its worth it Mr.James because you tarnished your legacy.

A wise man once said to be the man you gotta beat the man. Well in Lebron's case beating the man was kinda hard so he decided to just buddie up with two of his friends to make things easier. Jordan didn't go to Utah so Stockton could dish him the ball and Malone could clear the paint for him. NO Jordan made his team successful he embraced the challenge and came through it with 6 titles.

Yeah every Jordan needs a Pippen BUT isn't there a competitive fire that burns with anyone anymore in the NBA? 1 title in Cleveland means more then 4 in Miami. Lebron is a wimp with no fire to make his hometown proud. Yeah if he had signed a 3 year deal saying if they can't get a good team around me I will consider leaving I would have respected that. But up and leaving your hometown because winning is hard?

I read the Cavs owners letter (Which was an honest and open display of emotion) and he had a line in there about Lebron wanting to go to heaven without dying and that's not how things work. Well that's true he took the cowards way out. Loyalty, Ego, and Character all meant nothing to him. Winning even if it meant taking less money, taking less credit, not having to put in the work to obtain it, and leaving behind a fanbase (To which he was a hometown hero of) that loved and embraced him was all that mattered I hope its worth it Mr.James because you tarnished your legacy.

well said :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::nana:

A few quick thoughts on LeBron to Miami:

1. Who really cares. He wants to win, he wanted to go to the warm weather, state-tax free, play with buddies, and try to win. He's allowed to do that.

2. "Cowardly betrayal"??? Grow up Dan Gilbert. Have more respect for yourself, your team, and the guy who added $100+ million to your franchise for the past 7 years. If he's a coward and he quits, as you say, why bring him back?

3. Cleveland's roster now looks awful.

4. There are no guarantees in Miami. With so much salary tied up in 3 players, they could run into problems. Dwyane Wade has major injury history. Chris Bosh is a nice big man, but FAR from a superstar. If Wade gets injured, the roster wouldn't be all that different from Cleveland's, with LeBron, a big man, and a bunch of also-rans.

5. Next offseason, the owners should hold a 1-hour ESPN special in which they announce that there's a lockout.

Exhibit A: Against collusion and the salary cap.

Also what impact does FLA not having income taxes effect this outcome.

Way to go Gilbert! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2...0708120415.aspx

The tax savings for James in Miami over New York City would be staggering, according to the Post’s analysis.

“On a five-year contract worth $96 million -- what he'd get from the Knicks or the Heat -- LeBron would pay $12.34 million in New York taxes.” Florida has no state income tax.

New Jersey and Ohio, the other reported frontrunners to attract James, also have state income taxes, but they are not as high as in New York. Based on a $96 million contract, James would pay $5.69 million in state taxes if he re-signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers. If he signed with the New Jersey Nets, James would pay $10.32 million in state taxes.

I have no qualms with LeBron going to Miami. This is a bidness. I believe it was Jerry Seinfeld who said in the end we are all just rooting for laundry.

As far as the Cavs owner, I think his anger comes from how much the value of his franchise is going to drop. The King can make you, and the King can break you.

A few quick thoughts on LeBron to Miami:

1. Who really cares. He wants to win, he wanted to go to the warm weather, state-tax free, play with buddies, and try to win. He's allowed to do that.

2. "Cowardly betrayal"??? Grow up Dan Gilbert. Have more respect for yourself, your team, and the guy who added $100+ million to your franchise for the past 7 years. If he's a coward and he quits, as you say, why bring him back?

3. Cleveland's roster now looks awful.

4. There are no guarantees in Miami. With so much salary tied up in 3 players, they could run into problems. Dwyane Wade has major injury history. Chris Bosh is a nice big man, but FAR from a superstar. If Wade gets injured, the roster wouldn't be all that different from Cleveland's, with LeBron, a big man, and a bunch of also-rans.

5. Next offseason, the owners should hold a 1-hour ESPN special in which they announce that there's a lockout.

No collusion is bad, especially when one takes under market value. That is not the problem, the salary cap is the problem... I would have no problem with this if there was no cap. Anyway you slice it, it is collusion... It does much to undermine a lot of things. Just notice the "haves" and "have not's" in Salary cap games, it helps nothing but the big or chic markets. It is caste system.

Bingo! :thumbsup:

But remember he's giving all the proceeds of his announcement to the Boys and Girls Club of America so it's all good. :thumbsup:

No collusion is bad, especially when one takes under market value. That is not the problem, the salary cap is the problem... I would have no problem with this if there was no cap. Anyway you slice it, it is collusion... It does much to undermine a lot of things. Just notice the "haves" and "have not's" in Salary cap games, it helps nothing but the big or chic markets. It is caste system.

I completely disagree. Players in their prime taking less money to try to win a title used to be applauded. Now, apparently, it's a devilish plot.

Free agency is just that...Free options for the players. Free to take the most money, or free to go to a team and city of your choice, maybe for less money. The draft is set up to help the have nots. Free agency in every sport benefits the chic markets. You can't present the available free agents with a list of the five worst teams and tell them to make their choice out of that group (although I'm sure the Bills wish that was the rule.)

Collusion is only bad when owners combine to limit salaries and opportunities. Players who have been friends for a decade, who want to play together in a warm weather international city, tax free, and try to win rings, is not the problem with the NBA. The problem is the owners crying poverty after they sign Joe Johnson to $100 million contracts and 11-minute backups to $5 million deals. The salary cap is there to protect the owners from themselves.

I agree with all of this. . .

. . .And this. . .

I completely disagree. Players in their prime taking less money to try to win a title used to be applauded. Now, apparently, it's a devilish plot.

Free agency is just that...Free options for the players. Free to take the most money, or free to go to a team and city of your choice, maybe for less money. The draft is set up to help the have nots. Free agency in every sport benefits the chic markets. You can't present the available free agents with a list of the five worst teams and tell them to make their choice out of that group (although I'm sure the Bills wish that was the rule.)

Collusion is only bad when owners combine to limit salaries and opportunities. Players who have been friends for a decade, who want to play together in a warm weather international city, tax free, and try to win rings, is not the problem with the NBA. The problem is the owners crying poverty after they sign Joe Johnson to $100 million contracts and 11-minute backups to $5 million deals. The salary cap is there to protect the owners from themselves.

. . .And this. . .

Did he really need to hold the press conference to kick the city of Cleveland in the junk? That is what I thought was the most appaulling. He could have just made an announcement to the AP of his intentions and be done with it. I really do not care about the NBA but I am pissed that I did not take up my buddies suggestion and buy season tix for the Heat a few months back. He actually called the Lebron move 2 months ago before the season was even over and bought 4 season tix. I thought NY all the way and didn't have the sack to do it. Well good for him I guess.

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2...0708120415.aspx

The tax savings for James in Miami over New York City would be staggering, according to the Post's analysis.

"On a five-year contract worth $96 million -- what he'd get from the Knicks or the Heat -- LeBron would pay $12.34 million in New York taxes." Florida has no state income tax.

New Jersey and Ohio, the other reported frontrunners to attract James, also have state income taxes, but they are not as high as in New York. Based on a $96 million contract, James would pay $5.69 million in state taxes if he re-signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers. If he signed with the New Jersey Nets, James would pay $10.32 million in state taxes.

The Tax Foundation had a much better analysis of this that takes into account the so-called Jock Tax - the tax pro athletes have to pay to states they play games in outside of their own state. If you take into account that Cleveland could have paid Lebron more than Miami due to NBA rules but then do the taxes and calculate the Jock Tax, Miami still comes out ahead but not by a rediculous margin (not that anyone probably did a huge tax analysis for him prior to making his decsion - it's still chump change when you're talking about that scale of money).

Tax Foundation Analysis

My take on Lebron...

He did everything he could to win a title for Cleveland fans. He was classy on the court and off . He is the best player in the NBA and Cleveland was lucky to have him for 7 years.

Maybe some people will disagree with this but I think this was a failure of the Cavs organization to surround LB with the talent to win the title. Jordan had Pippen true that but who did Lebron have? Mo Williams ? Big Z ? An Old azz Shaq WAYYY past his prime?? come on...

They had 7 years to get him the players to get the NBA crown, they came close one year but they had a chance to get over the hump but could not do it. I really feel sorry for the Clevelend fans but its not their fault or is it Lebrons fault.

I blame the owner.

BTW, his open letter to the Cleveland fans was childish. He should invite LB back to the arena for a classy send off to the greatest player that ever wore a Cavs jersey. Maybe that would be over the top but he should at least thank Lebron for the money he made him. I hope when King James comes back to Cleveland to play I hope the fans will do the right thing and not boo and embrace a player who gave his heart and soul to the area he calls home.

I think Miami is Wade's team not LB's. Chris Bosh is the key though. LB will have to take a lesser role and maybe it suits his overall game more.

Maybe it will work out in Miami for James and I hope he wins the title there. Man I cant wait to see Boston and Miami play in the playoffs next year, you knows its gonna happen.