If LeBron James doesn't re-sign with Cleveland...

Buftex

he becomes the biggest jerk in pro sports to me. Great basketball player, mind you....but an ass. He apparently approached ESPN to buy an hour of airtime, to have a LeBron James special, at the end of which, I am assuming, he will announce where he will play basketball for the next 6 years or so. If he uses this forum to kick his hometown of Cleveland in the sack, my opinion of him will sink very low. I think he would deserve whatever backlash he gets in Ohio.

All that said, I think this has to mean he is returning to the Cavs...surely he can't be this crass and clueless...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he becomes the biggest jerk in pro sports to me. Great basketball player, mind you....but an ass. He apparently approached ESPN to buy an hour of airtime, to have a LeBron James special, at the end of which, I am assuming, he will announce where he will play basketball for the next 6 years or so. If he uses this forum to kick his hometown of Cleveland in the sack, my opinion of him will sink very low. I think he would deserve whatever backlash he gets in Ohio.

All that said, I think this has to mean he is returning to the Cavs...surely he can't be this crass and clueless...

He wants to win it all... Can he do that that in Cleveland? Just imagine is Pat Kane choose to play for BFLO and the Sabres gave (which they offered) the "farm" to the 'Hawks... Would he have won a Cup by now? I hate that a hometown guy is playing elsewhere... But the pressure is a lot less while young.

IMO, it kinda sucks that James went to his hometown off the bat... Big-time expectations and bigger time failure. I can see him bringing a trophy to the CLEV a lot easier if he would have been somewhere else first.

Just my $.02.

He wants to win it all... Can he do that that in Cleveland? Just imagine is Pat Kane choose to play for BFLO and the Sabres gave (which they offered) the "farm" to the 'Hawks... Would he have won a Cup by now? I hate that a hometown guy is playing elsewhere... But the pressure is a lot less while young.

IMO, it kinda sucks that James went to his hometown off the bat... Big-time expectations and bigger time failure. I can see him bringing a trophy to the CLEV a lot easier if he would have been somewhere else first.

Just my $.02.

It isn't so much the idea that he would leave Cleveland that bothers me, it is the fact that he is having a prime-time special to announce his plans.

If it is anything other than an announcement that he is staying in Cleveland, it amounts to a public, prime-time ass kicking to Cleveland, which doesn't really need that. I read something saying that the businesses in downtown Cleveland, hardly a thriving metropolis at this point, would stand to lose upwards of 30 million dollars annually, if James leaves town. It would just be cruel, IMO, for him to do buy this spot on national television to kick his hometown to the curb.

I agree with you, the pressure on him has to be a lot, as far as sports goes, but is being a god, in your hometown, and being very handsomely paid to do it, so bad? All without winning a ring?

I actually like James, I think he is a good kid...I am not really a Cavs fan, as you know, but I will be real disappointed if he announces he is going to the Knicks, Heat or Bulls tomorrow. I have a feeling he is staying put, and that would be great with me.

It isn't so much the idea that he would leave Cleveland that bothers me, it is the fact that he is having a prime-time special to announce his plans.

If it is anything other than an announcement that he is staying in Cleveland, it amounts to a public, prime-time ass kicking to Cleveland, which doesn't really need that. I read something saying that the businesses in downtown Cleveland, hardly a thriving metropolis at this point, would stand to lose upwards of 30 million dollars annually, if James leaves town. It would just be cruel, IMO, for him to do buy this spot on national television to kick his hometown to the curb.

I agree with you, the pressure on him has to be a lot, as far as sports goes, but is being a god, in your hometown, and being very handsomely paid to do it, so bad? All without winning a ring?

I actually like James, I think he is a good kid...I am not really a Cavs fan, as you know, but I will be real disappointed if he announces he is going to the Knicks, Heat or Bulls tomorrow. I have a feeling he is staying put, and that would be great with me.

Good points... Wow... 30 million? Something is seriously wrong with our society!

I'm not a big NBA fan so i don't really care but Stephen A Smith is reporting he will sign with Miami and join his boys Wade and Bosh. That would make sense to me. Just don't understand how one team can afford that much. Isn't there a team cap?

Has there ever been anyone of that status that has hit free agency in any sport? Arod fits that, but with the structure of baseball, there were really only 2 teams in the picture.

I'm not a big NBA fan so i don't really care but Stephen A Smith is reporting he will sign with Miami and join his boys Wade and Bosh. That would make sense to me. Just don't understand how one team can afford that much. Isn't there a team cap?

Miami only has 2 people under cap right now (Beasley and one other). So what they're planning is to give the "Big 3" all their max contracts which would use up the rest of the cap for the team. Then I guess they plan to bring in all minimum veteran contracts which don't count towards your cap space.

^I never knew you could do that, but I saw them play the whole thing out on Sportscenter a few days ago. So I'm just relaying the info I saw on there.

I think he'll stay in Cleveland, but if he doesn't I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Big Apple with Amar'e.

its a business. HE is a business himself. there are probably a thousand factors that he has to go through before he even gets to "what does this mean for Cleveland?". it's not LeBron James's responsibility to keep the floundering economy of Cleveland stable. it's his responsibility to be the best player he can be for what ever team is paying him.

it would be NICE if he stayed in Cleveland, as far as Cleveland is concerned. But vilifying him for going to the best chance for winning a title, or to the team that offers him the most money, or BOTH, is unfair and irrational.

for the sake of the rust belt, i hope he does stay in Cleveland. But for anyone from Cleveland to be mad at him if he leaves, is a bit ridiculous.

problem is, if he stays in cleveland what do they do to help the team win a title? do they go after boozer? raymond felton? I am amazed Bosch didn't go to cleveland, that alone would have been a great move. I cannot see Wade, Bosch and James playing on the same team...it would definitely diminish Lebron's name, and I do not believe Lebron wants that at all. If he goes to NY and they are able to land 'Melo next year I think it would be the same thing. Melo and Lebron are two headliners and I just don't see it happening.

I hope he stays in Cleveland and I hope they bring in some 'second' tier FA to help him win there. I like Lebron, I think he would elevate his status in the minds of alot of people if he stayed in Cleveland...but $$ is a huge factor, even for those that have more than they know what to do with.

problem is, if he stays in cleveland what do they do to help the team win a title?

The Cavs had the best record in the league last year, it's not as if they are far off from winning a title.

As far as I could tell, Lebron choked against the Celtics; it would be lame for him to blame the lack of talent around him.

he becomes the biggest jerk in pro sports to me. Great basketball player, mind you....but an ass. He apparently approached ESPN to buy an hour of airtime, to have a LeBron James special, at the end of which, I am assuming, he will announce where he will play basketball for the next 6 years or so.

You know I admire his skill...but when I saw that "announcement" this morning, my first thought was "what an ass".

You know I admire his skill...but when I saw that "announcement" this morning, my first thought was "what an ass".

if he's an ass for calling one major meeting to announce it and be done with it, what do you think of all the people who have made a living doing nothing but speculating about it for the past month?

this is the biggest non-story to ever hit ESPN, and that is saying something.

when something is finally announced, then i'll understand the coverage.

if he's an ass for calling one major meeting to announce it and be done with it, what do you think of all the people who have made a living doing nothing but speculating about it for the past month?

this is the biggest non-story to ever hit ESPN, and that is saying something.

when something is finally announced, then i'll understand the coverage.

I'm just saying that Jordan would never have done something like that...the King is not really the King...yet. Maybe I'm just "old school" or maybe I'm just old...self promoting is something I just don't like.

I'm just saying that Jordan would never have done something like that...the King is not really the King...yet. Maybe I'm just "old school" or maybe I'm just old...self promoting is something I just don't like.

I lost all respect for Lebron after i heard he wqas going to hold an hour special to announce his decision. What an effing diva. . .

I lost all respect for Lebron after i heard he wqas going to hold an hour special to announce his decision. What an effing diva. . .

It'll probably be a 55 minute self promotion video and a 2 minute announcement...an hour to announce that??? Please...the President can announce REAL impactfull things in less than 10 minutes.

Jordan played in a different era. It wasn't that long ago, sure. But the difference in media coverage then to now is major.

Plus, I dont remember Jordan ever becoming a free agent (at least for this long, and with where he would go being questioned). I also think the NBA had a different FA setup back then, much like how players for the 90s Bills were the last to stick with their teams.

You can't truly say that Michael Jordan, if put in this situation with today's circumstances, wouldn't have done the same thing.

Didnt he retire and comeback a few times? Didnt he try to go play baseball?

Imo, if he stages an hour long made for TV special to say he's staying in Cleveland, that's ridiculous. He could do that sitting on his couch on twitter. I think he has this big announcement to say he's going to Miami or Chicago.....then uses much of the time to thank and pay homage to Cleveland and Akron for supporting him. He will make nice and try to smooth over any hard feelings.

its a business. HE is a business himself. there are probably a thousand factors that he has to go through before he even gets to "what does this mean for Cleveland?". it's not LeBron James's responsibility to keep the floundering economy of Cleveland stable. it's his responsibility to be the best player he can be for what ever team is paying him.

it would be NICE if he stayed in Cleveland, as far as Cleveland is concerned. But vilifying him for going to the best chance for winning a title, or to the team that offers him the most money, or BOTH, is unfair and irrational.

for the sake of the rust belt, i hope he does stay in Cleveland. But for anyone from Cleveland to be mad at him if he leaves, is a bit ridiculous.

Dr Dank...you missed my point. I wouldn't begrudge him leaving Cleveland at all (though I wish, for the sake of the city, and sports in general he would stay), as you said, it is a business...fans have been getting their hearts ripped out for decades now. My point was, if he leaves Cleveland, he is an ass for making it into a Prime Time event...reports say, this prime time "special" was his idea, not ESPN's. Going about it this way is just kind of cruel, in my opinion.