dick jauron was THE PROBLEM

You're projecting whatever personality traits you feel like onto Jauron.

It makes him and others feel better and hopeful about the good ole boys, Buddy and Chan. Jauron was THE problem, and now that THE problem has been expelled the great saviors Nix and Gailey can save the franchise.

As others have mentioned, for the past 10 years (at least) every coach fired has been a worthless dumbass who knows nothing about football and every hire a football God. This includes DJ just a few short years ago.

It is best just to let them be. If you look at the facts, Chan is a career mediocre coach. Buddy has only a theoretical track record to look at as anything other than a scout. Time will tell if they are successful, or 3 years from now everyone who is awestruck by the Gailey hire will turn on him like they did DJ and proclaiming the next coach the savior.

Just sit back and enjoy the show.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes him and others feel better and hopeful about the good ole boys, Buddy and Chan. Jauron was THE problem, and now that THE problem has been expelled the great saviors Nix and Gailey can save the franchise.

As others have mentioned, for the past 10 years (at least) every coach fired has been a worthless dumbass who knows nothing about football and every hire a football God. This includes DJ just a few short years ago.

It is best just to let them be. If you look at the facts, Chan is a career mediocre coach. Buddy has only a theoretical track record to look at as anything other than a scout. Time will tell if they are successful, or 3 years from now everyone who is awestruck by the Gailey hire will turn on him like they did DJ and proclaiming the next coach the savior.

It beats the mindless talk that Ralph is THE problem and that the team won't get better until he's gone. :devil:

Everyone needs a scapegoat. Some are just more real than others.

i dont disagree, however unless something miraculous happens and ralph finally gets it, we are stuck with this bunch, led by this front office. i agree that the right thing to do would be to sell the team now, to a group of investors, much like Green bay, but i dont see ralph doing that either, and unless he does the team immediately becomes an unknown entity altogether if and when he ever dies. as far as gailey goes, i gush for these reasons...he inherits a very young team which hasnt tasted success yet, unlike his days in dallas where he got the oldies and coached them at the end. as an offensive minded coach he brings an offensive mind to the head coaching position for the first time since mularkey quit five years ago. also he has lots and lots of talent on the offensive side of the ball to utilize, ooodles of it and hes licking his chops to prove to the league that he has gotten a bad rap, kind of reminds me of thurmans attitude when he was passed over in the first round. hes a football guy, jauron wasnt..thats exciting in iself

Dick Jauron was 100% a football guy, he simply didn't know how to run an offense and refused to hire someone competent to do so. He was an ex- NFL player and a "players' coach, most of his players loved him for that. He played DB in the NFL and was a secondary coach, defensive coordinator and a previous head coach in the NFL. He was highly respected in NFL circles as one of the hardest working coaches.

Jim McNally was the O line coach when Jauron was hired, he was one of the very best line coaches in the NFL and he ran a zone blocking scheme. He also was the prominent person responsible for taking a walk-on TE and turning him into an all pro left tackle, a most unusual and amazing feat. When McNally retired 3 years ago Jauron promoted an assistant line coach to the job, the O line went down hill after that.

Needless to say, his next F-up was to promote Turk Schonert from QB coach to offensive coordinator after OC Steve Fairchild quit to coach college football. Now the offense has no senior experienced offensive coach for the line, game plans or scheme. The entire offense went downhill with Schonert as OC

Jauron was always tinkering with the O line, (probably why McNally retired) every year he was in Buffalo he would change players on the O line. Even bad players can become acceptable players given time to gain continuity, and also with proper coaching. The O line under Jauron could never gain continuity because he was constantly screwing with it.

I think his last year in Buffalo Jauron showed why he was so inept as a head coach... with his firing the OC two weeks before the NFL season opener, and cutting Langston Walker because he couldn't get to the line fast enough to run the "no huddle" offense. You know, the one the Bills scrapped a few weeks into the season. Every player at every position was changed on the offensive line for the 2009 season, plus two rookies starting at both guard positions. That was a recipe for disaster for the O line even without all the injuries.

What gives me pause about Chan Gailey and my thinking that he isn't the next best thing since sliced bread... like the rest of you guys do. Is the fact that he hired an inexperienced assistant O line coach, like Jauron did. He hired an inexperienced offensive coordinator, like Jauron did. What gives me greatest pause though is the offensive left tackle position and the current lack of talent on the roster at that position, a position which jauron also ignored.

Hey, perhaps Gailey thinks he can coach up the line, the offense, the coaches he hired to a respectable NFL level. The fact is... just being the head coach over an entire NFL team takes its toll on people, and they can work up to 80 hours a week doing that one job... this guy is going to try and do three jobs or more considering all the college coaches he hired.

I want the Bills to win the division, I want the Bills to kick the crap outta the Dolphins, Jets and Patriots and finish the season with a winning record, I just don't see it.

First John Butler itching to leave was the problem. Then Donahoe was the problem. Then Levy bringing in Jauron was the problem. I'm banking on that run changing this year.

PTR

The whole mess started when Ralph Wilson's parents snuck out to the hay barn back in mid-January, 1918. Must have been a quickie. If only they would have taken their time our beloved Bills would be a power house. Every problem has its root cause. As die hard fans we must be understanding...after all it was 5 below zero outside!

who did you want to hire? shanahan? lets look at washingto in 3 yrs, i put my money on gailey over shanny.

if you know me you know i never thought jauron was a savior, i have many friends from chicago who immediately lauged at the bills for hiring him, leading me to doubt his creds immediately, and it showed in his very first game where he went for it on fourth and one with a 12 pt lead against the reeling patriots, the run off right tackle by willis was stopped and the pats drove down the field scored and ran it up from there, hence our first experience with the skeletor stare into nothingness. never liked jauron and i was right about that.

When opposing teams are openly mocking your offense that's not a player problem, that's a coach/scheme problem.

Jauron is SOLELY responsible for the scheme.

thank you....the head coach is responsible for everything, hence title head coach.

Dick Jauron was 100% a football guy, he simply didn't know how to run an offense and refused to hire someone competent to do so. He was an ex- NFL player and a "players' coach, most of his players loved him for that. He played DB in the NFL and was a secondary coach, defensive coordinator and a previous head coach in the NFL. He was highly respected in NFL circles as one of the hardest working coaches.

Jim McNally was the O line coach when Jauron was hired, he was one of the very best line coaches in the NFL and he ran a zone blocking scheme. He also was the prominent person responsible for taking a walk-on TE and turning him into an all pro left tackle, a most unusual and amazing feat. When McNally retired 3 years ago Jauron promoted an assistant line coach to the job, the O line went down hill after that.

Needless to say, his next F-up was to promote Turk Schonert from QB coach to offensive coordinator after OC Steve Fairchild quit to coach college football. Now the offense has no senior experienced offensive coach for the line, game plans or scheme. The entire offense went downhill with Schonert as OC

Jauron was always tinkering with the O line, (probably why McNally retired) every year he was in Buffalo he would change players on the O line. Even bad players can become acceptable players given time to gain continuity, and also with proper coaching. The O line under Jauron could never gain continuity because he was constantly screwing with it.

I think his last year in Buffalo Jauron showed why he was so inept as a head coach... with his firing the OC two weeks before the NFL season opener, and cutting Langston Walker because he couldn't get to the line fast enough to run the "no huddle" offense. You know, the one the Bills scrapped a few weeks into the season. Every player at every position was changed on the offensive line for the 2009 season, plus two rookies starting at both guard positions. That was a recipe for disaster for the O line even without all the injuries.

What gives me pause about Chan Gailey and my thinking that he isn't the next best thing since sliced bread... like the rest of you guys do. Is the fact that he hired an inexperienced assistant O line coach, like Jauron did. He hired an inexperienced offensive coordinator, like Jauron did. What gives me greatest pause though is the offensive left tackle position and the current lack of talent on the roster at that position, a position which jauron also ignored.

Hey, perhaps Gailey thinks he can coach up the line, the offense, the coaches he hired to a respectable NFL level. The fact is... just being the head coach over an entire NFL team takes its toll on people, and they can work up to 80 hours a week doing that one job... this guy is going to try and do three jobs or more considering all the college coaches he hired.

I want the Bills to win the division, I want the Bills to kick the crap outta the Dolphins, Jets and Patriots and finish the season with a winning record, I just don't see it.

the guy wants to be there 80 hrs a week, he hired a running backs coach that knows his scheme, Gailey will be calling the plays from the sideline, not his inexpereinced OC. The offensive line has blocked fairly well over the past years, the problem is the slant pattern was non-existant for three yrs in the bills offense, so on third down dbs could sit on the outs and double the slot, which ended many drives. Demetrius bell is not the anwer i agree, however my opinion is jamon meredith is gelling with andy levitre and will be a quiet solid left tackle for years. i never got on the line for a few reasons, one being the strength and conditioning of the linemen was poor, the other reason was the tiny playbook the bills played with under jauron and any of his coordinators made it easy for other defenses to make them look really bad. if eric wood can heal properly, he and levitre form a strong guard duo, and i believe kyle calloway will develop into an effective right anchor. the final point is that dick jauron just had no field general in him, he was small and frail looking, which didnt go well with his look of fear. not inspiring at all to grown men.

I think the biggest problem was how much control Jauron had. He was too involved in personnal and was too quick to rely on rookie coordinators. If Jauron would have had a GM that was completely in charge and hired an experienced OC, he would have been more successful. People hate Jauron but his teams always played hard for them. There wasn't much more talent than 6 or 7 wins, especially starting the QBs we have started over the last 5 years.

Jauron deserved to be fired without a doubt but he isn't the worst coach ever like some of you make him out to be. IMO, how successful Nix and Whaley will matter a hell of a lot more than what Gailey does as a coach. NFL FOs win championships.

Sorry for approaching LAMP-status, but it's like I pointed out in another thread. As OC for Miami, Gailey went 3-1 against Belicheck and the Pats* in 2000-2001. Let's remember who won the Super Bowl in 2001. Williams, Mularkey and Jauron would have crawled on their collective knees on broken glass for that record.

3-1 against Satan? In my mind, that is not a mediocre coach (and my kudos to you for the correct spelling of "mediocre"). Trust me, home slice, if the Bills work a little Gailey-Magic against Belicheck this autumn and lift the curse, you're the first person carrying him off the field. I'll be right there with you.

"Distracted" - Al Jarreau

DJ GOOD

Jauron Always had players playing hard for him, and backing him up, a players coach.

Jauron Did put together a quality secondary

The team was never terrible, even with tons of injuries, always competed

Did find some servicable players with late draft picks

DJ BAD

Jauron tried to instill a no huddle offense

Jauron cut his starting/experienced LT right before the season

Jauron fired offensive coordinator right before the season

Jauron had 3 offensive coordinators in three years

Jauron put his faith, as we did, in a 3rd round QB, who wasnt highly regarded by most experts

Jauron ran a too conservative offense

Jauron ran a simple defense based around speed

Jauron drafted a RB with character issues, which came back to bite him

Jauron had way too many team injuries. Hey, they happen a lot in the NFL. But not this much. Something was obviously being done wrong.

Ultimately, he calls the shots, these were all the things he did wrong and right. The TO signing was not a bad gamble, but wasnt good either. But this list is history. He was the man who had to go, he made the decisions. But day by day, the Gailey list fluxuates...

Gailey GOOD

instill 3-4 defense

Gailey BAD

a running back with the #9 pick is questionable, for now

First John Butler itching to leave was the problem. Then Donahoe was the problem. Then Levy bringing in Jauron was the problem. I'm banking on that run changing this year.

PTR

While Butler may have some supporters here, he too was a problem. Just look at the Bills team Polian had assembled, and

Butler only oversaw it's demise. He never came close to reloading the Bills to continue to be a quality team. Once Bruce, Andre, and Thurman moved on, we've basically been a train wreck since.

I think the biggest problem was how much control Jauron had. He was too involved in personnal and was too quick to rely on rookie coordinators. If Jauron would have had a GM that was completely in charge and hired an experienced OC, he would have been more successful. People hate Jauron but his teams always played hard for them. There wasn't much more talent than 6 or 7 wins, especially starting the QBs we have started over the last 5 years.

Jauron deserved to be fired without a doubt but he isn't the worst coach ever like some of you make him out to be. IMO, how successful Nix and Whaley will matter a hell of a lot more than what Gailey does as a coach. NFL FOs win championships.

Jauron was beyond awful. Imo, you are swayed by 6 the or 7 wins per season. It makes it appear that the Bills are far surperior to a team that is say 4-12, but again, imo, they are not.

The Bills seemed to be specifically staffed to give up yardage. In 4 years, they used a #8 and a #11 on defensive backs, let alone countless other early picks and even free agents in the secondary. I am too tired to compile a list. Then, they put them in a cover-2 and played them a mile from scrimage. They wanted to stop the big plays and hope for the opposing team to make a mistake, instead of playing aggressive defense. Even most of their LBs were the size of defensive backs teams could trample at will. In other words, Jauron/Levy wanted and did in fact build a small, soft defense to play in the elements of Buffalo. That would seem to be a stupid thing to do.

These and other wasted picks led to neglected lines and the inability to get that 3rd and short on the ground, this in the elements of Buffalo. Poor scouting notwithstanding, they did try wrt the OL. They paid 25 million to a Raider castoff whose best skill was a stupid weekly soundbite on their website. They also gave hall of fame money to Dockery, who at the end of a game would have the cleanest uniform in the NFL. He simply didn't try. But remember, this is not the way to build lines. Teams VERY rarely let good ones walk; quarterbacks would throw anger fits. Top blockers are usually drafted early, especially left tackles. Jauron preferred Leodis McKelvin to a top LT.

On the field, while players rarely quit (a credit to Jauron), he was a horrible game manager. His players also made many stupid errors and were penalized a great deal. He seems like a really great guy, but he and Levy were WAY over their heads. He is right where he is suited to be as a DB assistant because the secondary was always his major concern, and his system sucks SO much that he couldn't get a job as a DC.

I wish the man well, but Jauron and Levy hurt this franchise in a huge way, and it began with their first idiotic draft.

While Butler may have some supporters here, he too was a problem. Just look at the Bills team Polian had assembled, and

Butler only oversaw it's demise. He never came close to reloading the Bills to continue to be a quality team. Once Bruce, Andre, and Thurman moved on, we've basically been a train wreck since.

And Butler would only have been with the Bills for 2 more (2001 and 2002) seasons, as he was diagnosed with cancer in July of 2002, and died the following year.

I guess we'll find out this year...

Our teams hovered around .500 with DJ, so if we do worse this year... then maybe he wasn't the problem. If he was the problem, then we shouldn't be so pessimistic about this season. :devil:

I can tell you Schobel's opinion was that everyone in the organization was incompetent, from position coaches to management, that management had divided the coaches in a power struggle against each other, that Jauron was not free to do his job, and that the management had toxic personalities who spread out a lot of blame after each loss in front of the entire coaching staff and team. He felt Jauron was the last guy he would fire, although he was uhappy with him as well. Of course, I am some anonymous internet guy, so take it for what it is worth.

It is clear Jauraon is to blame for the overall fiasco because he was in charge of this team and failed to take the team to the playoffs in those 4 years. Anyway you look at it, it was a failure.

Some of the reasons for the failure goes back to how Jauron and the Management side handled this team.

1. Draft picks did not pan out. A 8th overall pick should be a blue chip player. Donte Whitner has been a very good player but not warrant his position in the draft. Miss on some of the 1st round picks in McCargo etc. Inability to get 2nd round picks like Poz to the next level.

2. Free Agents did not pan out...Dockery, Walker, Kawika, TO

3. Too many devastating injuries caused inconsistent line plays.

4, Mishandling of the Coaching staff on the offense and there by mishandling the QB position. Three years with three different coordinators does not cut it in the NFL. This was probably the biggest failing of Dick Jauron. Dick needed to find the right experienced coordinator and should have forgotten about the offensive side of the ball. Instead, he forced his OC to cut down the plays instead of giving him freedom.

5. Finally, giving too much leeway (in the name of treating players with respect) to the players. Players should have earned that respect with the play on the field, not on how they trained in the off season.

6. Waffling on the QB position constantly. THey had to go with the guy they believed (Trent Edwards) and worked on the game plan to get Edwards to work in the offense. They chose to go with the stupid no-huddle and was the ridicule of the league during the pre-season, when it was obvious this team did not have the people (Neither Players nor Coaching Staff) to run this offense.

Lets keep this short, there are enough books to read in this thread already.

Coaching was only part of the problem for the Bills.

You have to remember, Jauron wasn't the coach in the early part of this past decade. Also, the player decisions are not entirely his, the GM's that have come and gone also share the responsibility of failure, along with the owner for poor hiring practices.

Buffalo paid for its for super bowl runs in the mid 90's, then had a chance with Flutie, that fateful decision to start Rob Johnson over Flutie was the start of a constant series of bad decisions for this organization every year up until this year. AND IT CONTINUES.

Let me repeat that................AND IT CONTINUES.

There is no way in Hell this team competes for the playoffs this season. This team is 2 to 3 years out from competing and thats "IF" (Big IF) they get a QB in the draft that can make a difference.

Yea, I agree Jauron was "A" problem and the fact he didn't have a lot to work with was his fault, and the owners fault for trusting him to do a job he was unqualified for.

It does all start at the top, and as much as Buffalo fans love and respect Ralph Wilson... it might be time for him to relinquish that president job he holds. Clearly it is just a title he holds for namesake and perhaps to take the income that goes with it.

The Ravens, Colts and many other teams have full time working presidents that actually know the difference between a Jauron and someone who knows what they are doing.

Why did it take four years to recognize how bad a head coach Dick Jauron actually was? As bad as his failure to bring in top quality players was... it wasn't his biggest fault. Jauron's biggest failure was to hire experienced NFL assistant coaches, particularly for the offense. But then he might have been afraid he would be hiring his own replacement...

If you look back at some historically bad franchises that have turned things around, like Arizona for example. The owner was Bill Bidwell who used to sit in on every players contract signing he was so hands on. That team made it to the playoffs once in its entire history under the senior Bidwell. Then he retired and let his sons start running the team. The sons took over and they hired the right people to run the front office. The result was not only playoffs but a super bowl appearance.

The Colts under Robert Irsay was another team that was a losing franchise because the owner was constantly meddling into team affairs and making all the wrong decisions about players, coaches. He was the one responsible for John Elway holding out and refusing to play for the Colts.

Then he retires and his son Jim Irsay took over, he was smart enough to understand he needed a top NFL GM to run the team, so he hired Bill Polian, 10 years of playoffs and 2 super bowls.

I'm not convinced the Bills recently hired the right GM and HC mostly because this franchise has historically chosen the wrong people. Everyone jumped on the Donahoe / Williams bandwagon, then the Mularkey bandwagon, then the Marv Levy / Dick Jauron bandwagon.

You guys can keep gushing about what a great hire Chan Gailey is...I can recall reading a 15 page post by someone defending what a great hire Jauron was, and he won the argument.

This franchise is in trouble, and has been since Polian / Butler left. What is truly sad for Bills fans and the team is... it is time for the owner to retire like Robert Irsay and Bill Bidwell did, only this owner has nobody to take over the team for him.

If I'm Ralph Wilson I'd take a long hard look at the teams with the best players-coaches-front office personnel and hire a president from one of those teams, and sit back and let him run the team. It is what Miami did, they hired Bill Parcells, Cleveland just did it with Mike Holmgren. An owner needs to be smart enough to know when to relinquish control to someone smarter then themselves.

It may very well be time for Ralph to put someone else in charge and step back. Given Ralph's past history however, I wouldn't count on it. The best we can hope for is that the new regime will be an improvement over the last several choices.

In 2008, when the Bills were 5-1, if Edwards hadn't started showing the effects from the concussion and the injuries hadn't continued to mount game after game after game, could the Bills have made a playoff run? Most of the sports writers had the Bills as the team to beat in the AFC East. Edwards was rated in the top 5 or 6 QB's in the league. Jauron just was not able to get the team back in the groove once the injuries started piling up. I'm really not sure any HC could have, given those circumstances.

For as much as I've criticized Jauron, in all fairness he did have the team playing well for a six game period. The reason I say "he had the team playing well" is because it's not reasonable or logical to dump all the of the blame for the lack of success on him and at the same time, refuse to give him any credit whatsoever for the successes the team did have. My personal opinion is that the FO kept hanging onto the retrospective false hope that somehow, Jauron could recreate the formula that produced the brief period of success. Finally, the FO decided that was not going to happen, cut Jauron and here we are.

While in principal I agree with you regarding putting a genuine football guru in charge of the team, the likelihood of that happening is very slim. Still, I think Nix and Gailey are a step in the right direction. I'm realistic enough to realize that's probably the best FO move we're going to see this year and optimistic enough to think the Bills will be a team that NOBODY wants to play by the latter part of the season.

Ralph isn't going to be around too many more years. I sincerely hope he gets to be proud of his team, this one.

Looking back over the last four seasons of buffalo bills foootball, its easy for the deft fan to realize that the team on the field didnt match the potential of its parts. Players were underutilized and schemes were easily deciphered by opposing defensive coordinators.

Qbs were taken from cocky rookies to gun-shy patsies, rbs went from thug to 1000 yard rushers back to thug, wrs were ignored largely with the exception of a gigantic pr splash last season (which incicentally didnt work out so great) and an undersized, speedy defense looked small and weak against the run. Combine those factors with the fact that the head coach seemed to have aboslutely no input into playcalling, situational or otherwise, or how or when to throw the replay flag and you end up with a team that is winning about forty percent of the games.

Many players were unable to finish the season due to serious injury, and games were lost largely in the fourth qtr when other teams seemed to have more energy late in the game. Thinking players could go through training camp mostly in shorts and helmets without contact was one of Jaurons biggest mistakes because players werent thouroughly ready for live action football when the time came. Looking at the videos of players this season its apparent to me that they have been hitting the weights more, both donte whitner and trent edwards looked markedly bigger through the shoulders than in the past, and i dont recall a player from the Jauron era actually sweating during and interview post practice (mini camp mind you, not even t-camp) and pretty profusely at that.

I dont have access to the lockerroom so i dont know how players really felt about the last head coach, but from the answers they are giving in response to questions about Gailey, it seems like they are comparing (mentally at least) the inept coaching style of Jauron with the enthusiastic teaching methods of Gailey.

to me Jauron was in a shell, unapproachable and sour, someone who would hear your idea and nod but throw it to the wayside as soon as you left his office, someone set in his ways and inflexible. on the contrary Chan Gailey reminds me of the guy you would call at 3;45 in the morning with a car problem and he would be there in his pajamas ten minutes later, he reminds me of the uncle you can confide in, or the thoughtful boss. He actually really makes me think he is a blend of true feelings and lots of knowledge and quick thinking. i didnt trust Jaurons gut instincts, and i dont think he did either

maybe its wishful thinking but i believe in Chan Gailey and think he will lead the Buffalo Bills to many victories for the next decade or so.

Here's an article that you should find interesting: http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/bills/14829

I agree, Jauron was a disaster.

While Jauron was a bad HC, yet we did have worse. Some that come to mind were Harvey Johnson, Hank Bullough, and I'm sure a few others may add one or more to this.

Butler was handcuffed by the salary cap, something Polian didn't have to deal with in his Buffalo days.

DJ wasn't the whole problem, but he was A problem and arguably, the biggest of them all. He didn't have a whole lot to work with, but he did have them playing pretty decent ball for about 5 or 6 games.

However, when the wheels did start to come off, he wasn't able to do much of anything about it and he ultimately lost the confidence of the players and FO.

I just remember that "deer in the headlights" look he always had on the sideline. He was supposed to be a smart guy, but he could not process fast enough to stay with the pace of the game. I was happy to see him move on.