Jonathan Scott To Start For Steelers

H2o

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...eelers-workout/

So with Flozell, a long-time Cowboy, apparently out of the picture for the Steelers (the Broncos reportedly remain interested), Pasquarelli points to free-agent arrival Jonathan Scott, who started eight games for the Bills in 2009 under new Pittsburgh offensive line coach Sean Kugler, as the possible in-house solution.

If they'd rather take their chances with Scott of paying $4,000,000, in an uncapped season none the less, to Flozell I think that should shed some light as to why Buffalo hasn't pursued the guy either.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Scott gets Rapelisberger mugged all season long once he returns from suspension. If I recall, they hired our old O-line coach as well, not sure why he would endorse Scott starting after the poor showing he had here last year.

Heard Scott on local radio (in Austin) the other day... he had nice things to say about Buffalo, but, said the difference between playing for the Steelers and the Bills was "night and day"... said everything in Pittsburgh was "first class", like his days playing with the Longhorns... there is a "winning mentality" in Pittsburgh. It wasn't so much what he said about Pittsburgh, as it was what he didn't say about the Bills...

Heard Scott on local radio (in Austin) the other day... he had nice things to say about Buffalo, but, said the difference between playing for the Steelers and the Bills was "night and day"... said everything in Pittsburgh was "first class", like his days playing with the Longhorns... there is a "winning mentality" in Pittsburgh. It wasn't so much what he said about Pittsburgh, as it was what he didn't say about the Bills...

The mental aspect of the game is so important. For a team to actually win, they must first BELIEVE they can win. I think Nix & Gailey are bringing that winning mentality and that winning culture BACK to Buffalo like what it was in the late '80s & early '90s. This is one reason I find the pessimists so annoying. They literally help sustain the losing mentality of the organization. True, the fans are not out there throwing blocks and making tackles, but perhaps there is some truth to the notion that you get the product you EXPECT to get. Maybe it's time, as fans we expect more and really buy into the new staff and BELIEVE in them and their ability to take this team back to the playoffs. If nothing else, at LEAST lay off the negative remarks for two seasons and give this staff a frickin' chance. The new staff has a tough job. They must halt the losing culture that has permeated this organization for 10 seasons now. That's no small task. It'd be a little easier if the fan base could at least TRY to buy-in to what they are trying to do. There's some top-shelf talent in the personnel ranks now with Nix, Whaley, and other scouts. We can't judge this year's draft for a few years, but I like their approach so far -- going after top talent instead of reaching for need. The players are clearly buying into the coaching based upon remarks so far. If Scott was still around, perhaps HE'D be saying last year's Bills and this year's Bills are like "night and day".

"There are two types of coaches — those who hope to win and those who expect to win. And I’ve been around enough winning programs and enough winning organizations that when I walk on the field I expect to win. I don’t just hope to win, I expect to win." -- Chan Gailey

GO BILLS!

This is one reason I find the pessimists so annoying. They literally help sustain the losing mentality of the organization. True, the fans are not out there throwing blocks and making tackles, but perhaps there is some truth to the notion that you get the product you EXPECT to get. Maybe it's time, as fans we expect more and really buy into the new staff and BELIEVE in them and their ability to take this team back to the playoffs. If nothing else, at LEAST lay off the negative remarks for two seasons and give this staff a frickin' chance.

I agree with you, but with the overall attitude of THIS forum...good friggin' luck. The whiners are in a hiatus for the moment, but will leap in from the rafters after the very first loss of the season. By about October 10th, you won't be able to post anything nearly as optimistic as your above comment without being shouted off the Wall.

But to your point - the best part about the Coaching and Front Office team that has been put in place is that - to paraphrase Clark Gable "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn". Judging by their comments, Nix and Gailey just couldn't care less about the bitching and whining that they're going to hear over the next two years. Note to the whiners - save your breath.

This is one reason I find the pessimists so annoying. They literally help sustain the losing mentality of the organization.

You give us way too much credit, and I prefer to be called a realist.

I agree with you, but with the overall attitude of THIS forum...good friggin' luck. The whiners are in a hiatus for the moment, but will leap in from the rafters after the very first loss of the season. By about October 10th, you won't be able to post anything nearly as optimistic as your above comment without being shouted off the Wall.

But to your point - the best part about the Coaching and Front Office team that has been put in place is that - to paraphrase Clark Gable "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn". Judging by their comments, Nix and Gailey just couldn't care less about the bitching and whining that they're going to hear over the next two years. Note to the whiners - save your breath.

Your ignorance is not bliss.

Jonathan Scott has absolutely no skill whatsoever to play any O line position at the NFL level. His play in the game at Miami last season was some of the WORST O line play I have ever seen at any level. His technique and footwork are just atrocious. I am not an O line coach, but my son plays a wicked right guard for one of the best coached middle school teams you will ever see down here in Georgia. If he or any of his teammates played with such poor technique and fire, they would never see the field. (I find it mind blowing that any pro football team would look at this guy)

I tell my son with some of the garbage masquerading as NFL talent that is playing O line currently in the NFL, if you are big enough and can get thru college not getting severely injured, you will definitely get a shot at playing O line in the NFL. And Jonathan Scott is definitely at the top of any list of garbage O lineman in the NFL.

Kinda like Duke Preston when he left?

HE's sure making alot of himself these days....

As far as the "winning" mentality, success begets success. That is not to take away from what you have said, but if I must remind you...nobody wanted to play for the Bills in the late 80's and early 90's. Jim Kelly elected to play w/the Houston Gamblers of the USFL over playing for the Bills. Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett all balked about coming to Buffalo.

However, once winning became the order of the day, nobody was complaining anymore.

And isn't it rather ironic that a Bills castoff is talking about winning mentality? I mean, if he had it, would he be in Pittsburgh?

And isn't it rather ironic that a Bills castoff is talking about winning mentality? I mean, if he had it, would he be in Pittsburgh?

Sounds like an excuse for his own poor play. "Well, they didn't have a winning mentality, so neither did I." :devil:

Sounds like an excuse for his own poor play. "Well, they didn't have a winning mentality, so neither did I." :devil:

Exactly, Doc.

And wasn't it Scott last season who made some sort of dumb comment to that effect?

While he was a member of the Bills, he excused his poor play because of the bad breaks, overall losing, or something like that.

Maybe somebody here can help me out...but I know it was Scott that said something similar last season.

The winning mentality is breeded in two ways.

- Winning, nothing breeds the mentality like winning 4 or 5 games in a row against good teams.

- Most importantly it starts with coaching. Coaches have to recognize if the talent is on this team can go to the next level

and then they have to teach.

When we were going to Superbowls our coaching and teaching was outstanding. That is why most the players that left the Bills at that time never achieved the same level of success with other teams because our coaching was better. Now it 's reversed, over the last 10 years former Bills have done just as good if not better elsewhere because our coaching isn't as good. Don't be surprised if Scott plays better due to better coaching.

I think Gailey comes to Buffalo, evaluates the teams and feels this team has more talent than others that he has been successful with. Lets face it, he has been part of winning organizations (not sure if he has a SB ring). During the Jauron era I think the Bills acquired ok talent but I think they were under acheivers as well, mentally and physically. We can all think of at least 5 games we have lost in the past 3 years due to stupdity.

So I'm not going to freak out when we don't jump at every mediocre free agent that becomes available. Because I think Gailey has had a history of being successful with less talent than he has now and he knows it and he knows how important good coaching is.

I do have concerns but I am willing to give him a chance. I think he will get more out of his players. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills were 10-6 this year but I also realize we could be 6-10 as well. If he can turn Edwards, Fitz, and Brohm into real QB's I'm all for it. In the long run I wouldn't be surprised to see Brohm and Brown be the real beneficiaries of a good offensive coach.

The mental aspect of the game is so important. For a team to actually win, they must first BELIEVE they can win. I think Nix & Gailey are bringing that winning mentality and that winning culture BACK to Buffalo like what it was in the late '80s & early '90s. This is one reason I find the pessimists so annoying. They literally help sustain the losing mentality of the organization. True, the fans are not out there throwing blocks and making tackles, but perhaps there is some truth to the notion that you get the product you EXPECT to get. Maybe it's time, as fans we expect more and really buy into the new staff and BELIEVE in them and their ability to take this team back to the playoffs. If nothing else, at LEAST lay off the negative remarks for two seasons and give this staff a frickin' chance. The new staff has a tough job. They must halt the losing culture that has permeated this organization for 10 seasons now. That's no small task. It'd be a little easier if the fan base could at least TRY to buy-in to what they are trying to do. There's some top-shelf talent in the personnel ranks now with Nix, Whaley, and other scouts. We can't judge this year's draft for a few years, but I like their approach so far -- going after top talent instead of reaching for need. The players are clearly buying into the coaching based upon remarks so far. If Scott was still around, perhaps HE'D be saying last year's Bills and this year's Bills are like "night and day".

GO BILLS!

Problem is... we've all bought into the new regime each and every time for a decade now. There's been plenty of optimism. Sold out stadiums, even. However, the team and each new regime has stomped that optimism into the ground. So, now we get yet another new group of guys and we're supposed to all automatically get optimistic again?

I said it with his hire, the problem with Gailey is he gets almost no grace period. I guarantee you if a well known, repsected, proven HC had been hired AND made the exact same personnel moves; this place would be brimming with optimism. But, Gaily is not that guy. He has to earn that optimism, from me and alot of other fans. And he does that by winning football games.

So, until I see an 8 in the win column, excuse me if I can't help but be less than impressed.

So, are you suggesting that by Oct 10th, we'll be 1 and 4? And if we are, if we have a losing record with more of the lame excuses about execution, while our O-line is being man handled and Trent is checking down when he's not getting pancacked, while our defensive live is a seive, and Morman is once again our best player; should we be all rosy and optimistic... still?

Can you really blame some people for their pessimism when this team has consistently fielded such a poor team? When they have a chance to make moves to turn the team around and they stick with the status quo - QB, Oline? Can you really blame some of us for not being all giddy about having KC's fired OC as our new HC? Maybe it all turns out great. But, maybe it doesn't. Maybe by Oct. 10 we'll know.

Perhaps the fact that scott got picked up by the steelers shines an optimistic light on the Bills. If the Bills deemed him not good enough, yet the winning steelers want him, maybe it sez our line isn't as bad as most think...maybe most of our O-lines problems last year were youth and injury related. I sure hope so!

GO BILLS!

Perhaps the fact that scott got picked up by the steelers shines an optimistic light on the Bills. If the Bills deemed him not good enough, yet the winning steelers want him, maybe it sez our line isn't as bad as most think...maybe most of our O-lines problems last year were youth and injury related. I sure hope so!

GO BILLS!

On top of that, the Steelers line has been horrendous for the last two seasons both in run blocking and pass protection.

They did well to draft Maurkice Pouncey this year but with the loss of Colon, I envision difficulties again for their O-line.

With Roethlisberger's issues, I think the Steelers will struggle. On top of all that, they are aging on the D-line (Hampton, Keisel), have lost Santonio Holmes, and are thin behind Mendenhall.

Great linebackers though. But I don't see Pittsburgh as a top power this year. I think they're dropping into a little valley right now.

But they're a great organization and you would expect them to re-gear.

- Most importantly it starts with coaching. Coaches have to recognize if the talent is on this team can go to the next level and then they have to teach.

Now it 's reversed, over the last 10 years former Bills have done just as good if not better elsewhere because our coaching isn't as good. Don't be surprised if Scott plays better due to better coaching.

Perhaps not. The Steelers new OL coach was the Bills OL coach last year. Scott and Kugler just caught the same flight out of Buffalo.