The guy I am waiting to hear information on how he is performing

I was thinking about this while looking at the video from OTA's yesterday. I haven't heard much, if anything, about Carrington. Based on highlight reels (I know, they are called "Highlight" reels for a reason) from his college career and his stat lines the guy looks like he could be a real impact player in the next few seasons. I want to know what he has been showing in the OTA's. He is in a bit of a dogfight at DE, but I'd hope to see him in the mix with the opportunity to be in the SL at some point this season.

I was thinking about this while looking at the video from OTA's yesterday. I haven't heard much, if anything, about Carrington. Based on highlight reels (I know, they are called "Highlight" reels for a reason) from his college career and his stat lines the guy looks like he could be a real impact player in the next few seasons. I want to know what he has been showing in the OTA's. He is in a bit of a dogfight at DE, but I'd hope to see him in the mix with the opportunity to be in the SL at some point this season.

Probably not much to say about him until the pads go on. He's playing the trenches and will be effective if he can hold at the point of attack whent he bullets fly. Anything else he can do is just adde3d bonus, but he won't see the field if he can't play the run.

He's not on all the OTA highlight films lighting up the QBs, so I'm here to call it first.... BUST! The guy will never amount to anything. Must be a locker room cancer, too. I've never heard any of his team mates say anything good about him. Another wasted draft pick. Damn Ralph.

....but the DE we drafted looks like an absolute stud on tape and did well against other competition in colllege when he got the opportunity......

Looking for big things from this kid

I would guess that a large majority of players drafted in the early rounds had equally impressive college highlight reel videos. I wouldn't put much stock into how this translates to how they play in the NFL.

Hope I spelled that right....but the DE we drafted looks like an absolute stud on tape and did well against other competition in colllege when he got the opportunity......

Similar words were spoken about '08's #3, DE Chris Ellis. We just have to wait and see...hope he hits the field better/quicker than Ellis. The BUF club hasn't had much of a sharp eye when it came to drafting DLs in recent years.

An aside - The current staff was pretty dumb IMO, in announcing to the other 31 clubs that they would commit to a 3-4 before the draft. Same thing with the publicized "scatback" desire. Reminds me of the previous crowd that chirped about the "no-huddle" offense. The draft is in a way, like playing poker. Which I am miserable at - but I do know that keeping your cards close...matters.

Similar words were spoken about '08's #3, DE Chris Ellis. We just have to wait and see...hope he hits the field better/quicker than Ellis. The BUF club hasn't had much of a sharp eye when it came to drafting DLs in recent years.

I recall reading about Ellis when they drafted him, and was not all that impressed. I think during that draft everyone was hoping for a pass-rusher. The Ellis pick was a bit like the Wang pick--a position viewed as a need is taken at a spot where you will be lucky if it pays off.

As for Carrington, everything I've read about this guy has me thinking we got a Phil Hansen type player as a steal in the third. All we can do is guess at this point, but it's always fun to speculate on the players they drafted, before the pads have gone on.

Another player I think will one day be a solid if not spectacular player is Moats. Impressed by the few interviews I've seen too. As I mentioned in my assessment of the draft, I think he and Batten will be STs hellions this year. I think all of the players drafted this year will be on the roster or practice squad.

Ellis has put on strength. I was a big critic of his for his lack of strength. If I recall his rookie bench press was 350, unacceptable for a 270 lb man. He looked like a boy among men out there at first. He looked like he deserved a shot in preseason last year. I think he will get a fair chance this year.

Hope I spelled that right....but the DE we drafted looks like an absolute stud on tape and did well against other competition in colllege when he got the opportunity......

I have high hopes for Carrington as well. I'm hoping he'll be the 2nd coming of Phil Hansen. If he's more than that, i'll be bowing down to Nix.

I have high hopes for Carrington as well. I'm hoping he'll be the 2nd coming of Phil Hansen. If he's more than that, i'll be bowing down to Nix.

Great...a Phil Hansen without a Bruce Smith equates to an Aaron Schobel. It's better than a John McCargo and I'll take that but please, please find me a Bruce Smith or enough playmakers to generate a pass rush. I haven't seen a legit pass rush in years and that includes all the Schobel years.

Great...a Phil Hansen without a Bruce Smith equates to an Aaron Schobel. It's better than a John McCargo and I'll take that but please, please find me a Bruce Smith or enough playmakers to generate a pass rush. I haven't seen a legit pass rush in years and that includes all the Schobel years.

Haha, hey give the Bills time to find a Bruce. We can't find everyone in one or two drafts.

An aside - The current staff was pretty dumb IMO, in announcing to the other 31 clubs that they would commit to a 3-4 before the draft. Same thing with the publicized "scatback" desire. Reminds me of the previous crowd that chirped about the "no-huddle" offense. The draft is in a way, like playing poker. Which I am miserable at - but I do know that keeping your cards close...matters.

The 3-4 thing was kind of given away once they hired the DC..... theres hiding your cards--- but people still know what deck your playing with.

The Bills had 40 sacks in 2006, which was tied for 8th. I'd say that qualifies as a legit pass rush.

:censored: Schobel was the pass rush last year, and did a pretty good job of limiting the QBs time. I'll take another Aaron Schobel any day.

Got to consider the round these guys were taken in. If Carrington is close to Hansen, then it was a great pick.

As Buffalo Jesus said, there won't be anything to go on with Carrington (or Troup) or any of the linemen until the pads go on and the team at least starts some semi-contact scrimmaging. The linemen are just basically shadowing each other right now.

Interesting thought, Cinci.

Speaking very generally, I like your idea about keeping draft information as scarce as possible even though I don't know how much benefit there really is in being this secretive. Probably not too much as other teams are probably adept at connecting the dots based on their own scouting and their evaluation of our team, coaching hires, etc. There may be some benefit, but I don't think a significant amount.

Also you have to consider that the Bills are an entertainment entity. So counterbalancing the minimal benefit of extreme secrecy is the need to create a buzz, a dialogue, and an excitement for your product.

Anytime Gailey or Nix says anything, we hungrily devour it like the obsessive fans that we are. So the Bills recognize the need to throw us bones to gnaw on from time to time. I think this is part of why they talk football publicly. It's to make sure that they feed our addiction from time to time.

And I (and many others) love the blunt, straightforward style of the new football guys. One GM who is very similar along these lines is Bill Polian. His brutal honesty and frank and open comments to the media seemingly don't affect the Colts' success.

But to your specific points, I agree though that they could have kept the 3-4 and the scatback comments under covers.

I agree with you whole heartedly. You never show your hand, unless it's a false hand to lure your opponents into a trap. Or even to show a true hand to give them false hopes, and then in the end take them for all they're worth. I don't think every FO is 100% perfect. Maybe this is a slight mistake that our FO made. Hopefully they'll learn from it.

I agree with you whole heartedly. You never show your hand, unless it's a false hand to lure your opponents into a trap. Or even to show a true hand to give them false hopes, and then in the end take them for all they're worth. I don't think every FO is 100% perfect. Maybe this is a slight mistake that our FO made. Hopefully they'll learn from it.

i'm sorry, but I fail to see how mentioning that he wanted a scatback (which he got) or openly converting to the 3-4 is a problem. If anything picking up Spiller creates the opportunity to be more creative with the offensive sets. Also, considering that there are several diff't variations of the 3-4, i don't think it matters much that chan confirmed the switch.

Now talking up the no-huddle last year was stupid, but these two situations are hardly comparable IMO.

i'm sorry, but I fail to see how mentioning that he wanted a scatback (which he got) or openly converting to the 3-4 is a problem. If anything picking up Spiller creates the opportunity to be more creative with the offensive sets. Also, considering that there are several diff't variations of the 3-4, i don't think it matters much that chan confirmed the switch.

Now talking up the no-huddle last year was stupid, but these two situations are hardly comparable IMO.

Mentioning you want a scatback gives teams (such as the Giants) an idea that you want to draft a player such as Spiller (which from what i've read the Giants coveted) The Giants could have traded up for him. Also mentioning you are switching to the 3-4 indicates to every team what kind of front 7 you are interested in drafting. I would definitely keep this under wraps. I would never let on to any other team who i might draft.

Would you ever give any indication to another team what position players you might be after? Unless you are trying to throw them off course which would be a strategic idea.

I completely agree that Spiller is a great pick up. I don't disagree with u on that at all. I just think a smart team keeps it's drafting ideas incognito.

Mentioning you want a scatback gives teams (such as the Giants) an idea that you want to draft a player such as Spiller (which from what i've read the Giants coveted) The Giants could have traded up for him. Also mentioning you are switching to the 3-4 indicates to every team what kind of front 7 you are interested in drafting. I would definitely keep this under wraps. I would never let on to any other team who i might draft.

Would you ever give any indication to another team what position players you might be after? Unless you are trying to throw them off course which would be a strategic idea.

I completely agree that Spiller is a great pick up. I don't disagree with u on that at all. I just think a smart team keeps it's drafting ideas incognito.

and for all we know the scatback mention was bait for the giants which they didnt bite on. Hiring edwards was a dead give away that the 3-4 was on the way, I still don't think it was a big deal.

with all the holes we had (qb, lt, wr, de, NT, etc) it was anybodys guess who we were gonna take.

As far as the original topic goes, I love the pick of carrington (after finding out who he is) but, the success rate of top rd D-lineman is very low in yrs 1/2, so I am not getting my hopes up for this yr, however, in the future, I think we got a premier playmaker on the Dline

and for all we know the scatback mention was bait for the giants which they didnt bite on. Hiring edwards was a dead give away that the 3-4 was on the way, I still don't think it was a big deal.

with all the holes we had (qb, lt, wr, de, NT, etc) it was anybodys guess who we were gonna take.

As far as the original topic goes, I love the pick of carrington (after finding out who he is) but, the success rate of top rd D-lineman is very low in yrs 1/2, so I am not getting my hopes up for this yr, however, in the future, I think we got a premier playmaker on the Dline

I think you have level headed thinking Bill. I sure hope so too that we got a premier playmaker in Carrington. At the very least we know we didn't draft lazy basterds.

Unreal expectations. If you're gonna bash the Bills for not finding you another Bruce Smith, then carry your rant to the whole NFL. 1st Time HOF'ers are a once in a generation-type player, at best. No one like Bruce has entered the league since.

I'll take another 'Hanson' everyday, thank you.

Unreal expectations. If you're gonna bash the Bills for not finding you another Bruce Smith, then carry your rant to the whole NFL. 1st Time HOF'ers are a once in a generation-type player, at best. No one like Bruce has entered the league since.

I'll take another 'Hanson' everyday, thank you.

This.

Many bad things can be said about our front office of recent years, but the criticism should stop short of not drafting another Bruce Smith.

Some assclown poster on the is site (I believe Mr. Nix) predicted Carrington would be better than Phil Hansen! Maybe I'm skeptical, but perhaps you should wait at least one NFL snap before you crown a guy.

• 1 month later...
Some assclown poster on the is site (I believe Mr. Nix) predicted Carrington would be better than Phil Hansen! Maybe I'm skeptical, but perhaps you should wait at least one NFL snap before you crown a guy.

Thanks for the recognition. That other assclown steals my thunder, and I get ignored. You are my best fan mr wonderful. I'm tempted to predict this will turn out to be the best draft in Bills history....tempted...

Below is a post from Thoner7 who gave a great report on camp yesterday. I asked him about Troup and Carrinton. He said Carrington is looking like the real deal. Here's his response:

"Troup worked primarily with and against the 2econd teamers, but it was evident he was a good anchor there. He is a fireblug no doubt about it. Kyle Williams added a little bit of a gut and is very good so I dont see him getting benched for Troup. I think we have 2 very good NTs to work with.

I think it was a big endorsement of Carrington to leave him at RDE in the 40 front when the team went nickle. I dont think the coaching staff would do that if he couldnt rush the passer. We are gonna need those 2 guys moving forward thats for sure - and if Stroud wears down over the season like he has the past few we could see a lot of both."

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/0900...e-right-mindset

» Third-round defensive end Alex Carrington is the perfect five-technique player with long arms. According to one Bills coach, he should find his way into the rotation before long.

Not much...but the coaches think highly of him already.

Here's an article about his personal life;

He is what Karl Malone should have been.

Link

Buffalo Bills rookie Alex Carrington impresses team early

Sal Maiorana • Staff writer • August 12, 2010

...When Carrington was still in high school in Elvis Presley's hometown of Tupelo, Miss., his girlfriend gave birth to a boy whom the couple named Khalil.

Rather than skirt his responsibilities, Carrington made sure he stayed active in his son's life, even though he was headed off to play college football for the Red Wolves.

In fact, he was so involved that for a few years while he was at Arkansas State — which is just two hours from Tupelo — Khalil lived with Carrington in his off-campus apartment while his mother attended college in Mississippi.

There were many nights when Carrington would have enjoyed hanging with his friends and teammates and living the life of a college student, but instead he was home playing with Khalil, who turns 6 years old today.

And the thing is that he wouldn't change any of it for the world.

"They were hard times, but for the love of your child you'll do anything," said Carrington, who will make his pro debut Friday night in Buffalo's preseason opener at Washington.

"When we had him in high school, that put me in a different mindset already. Then in college, when I saw how people acted, I knew I couldn't do those things because my son was watching me. It definitely makes you grow up fast."...

I can't wait to see him tomorrow night. :ph34r:

I agree about the "scatback," but not the switch to the 3-4. If I remember the timing correctly, we signed both Andra Davis and Dwan Edwards (I'm sure about Edwards) in free agency BEFORE the draft. From what I read, both are expected to contribute immediately, largely because of their past experience in playing the 3-4. Even if nobody breathed a word about the 3-4 in public, I don't think it would have been a surprise to any other team on draft day that our defense was switching to a 3-4 after those free agent signings. And public commitment to the 3-4 might have helped persuade those guys to sign.

"Scatback" is different. There wasn't any free agent signing to tip our hand on that specific draft target.

BUT WAIT! The conventional wisdom is that all teams blow disinformation smoke about what position they will draft first, so our genius FO staff realized that by telling everyone that they just might draft a scatback, no one would believe them, and the scatback would still be there on draft day. Brilliant! [sarcasm detected]

'Course, whether we should have drafted the scatback first is a whole 'nother issue. But I'm willing to hold off judgment on that for a while.

Maybe we WANTED somebody to trade up and take Spiller ahead of us, in hopes that the player who dropped as a result would be a higher rated OT? As it turned out, we didn't miss Okung by much.