***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

Definitely....I also think you tend to have much more inconsistent play when you have a younger team.

I'm really surprised at the result...oh well, I just hope the final is a great match!

BTW, I think we should just start a petition for the 2013 world cup. The way it works is, we just go ahead and award Brzil the 2014 cup, and that way they get the accolades they deserve and those of us who follow non-Brazilian teams will still have a chance to win lol

Location of the 2013 world cup? Canada, of course!

Italy will win in Brazil as they won in Germany and be tied for the best country in soccer ever.

:thumbsup:

We just need a scandal right before. <_<

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sports Illustrated WC preview issue predicted Spain (over England)...

and the octopus predicted Spain to defeat Germany.

Anyways, Sunday should be a great day...golf in the AM, WC on TV...

Then dining out with good friends...

Holland looked pretty aggressive in the 2nd half yesterday. I would be happy for them if they won it all. I enjoy watching Spain play, because they have some amazing players, but I'm probably going to be rooting for the boys in orange.

LET'S GO VAN DER FAAART!!!! BLOW EM AWAY!!!

<_< We aren't going the hear the end of these jokes, are we? :thumbsup:

Well the Mexican guys at work know their soccer. Said the Germans and Dutch would be there near the end. One guy said the winner of the Dutch/Brazil match would be the winner of the tourney. It really looks like they will square off against the Germans. They certainly seem to be the most precise teams in this. I have to say I'm not really impressed with Spain. And they were the favorites coming in.

They might be the favorites going out, too.

Hard to believe only one match left :rolleyes: I hope it's a great one.

Actually, I forgot about the 3rd place game...if Klose plays, it should be a good match. Will be good to see Forlan play one more time, too.

I've definitely enjoyed this past month...went by in a flash! I'm thankful to ESPN and this this thread (and soccer by Ives) for helping me feel like I was always caught up with what was going on when I wasn't able to see the matches live.

I wish I could say I was really looking forward to 2014, but the fact that it's in Rio REALLY bothers me! lol So, that being said, I can't wait for Euro 2012!!! lol

Hard to believe only one match left :rolleyes: I hope it's a great one.

Actually, I forgot about the 3rd place game...if Klose plays, it should be a good match. Will be good to see Forlan play one more time, too.

I've definitely enjoyed this past month...went by in a flash! I'm thankful to ESPN and this this thread (and soccer by Ives) for helping me feel like I was always caught up with what was going on when I wasn't able to see the matches live.

I wish I could say I was really looking forward to 2014, but the fact that it's in Rio REALLY bothers me! lol So, that being said, I can't wait for Euro 2012!!! lol

I'd like to give some props to ESPN3.com for carrying, literally, all the games live. They've done this for many events, including French Open, Wimbeldon, etc. since I got this new computer that can handle video. (You also have to be on an ISP that allows access.) And ESPN3 is run w/o ads... tho I'm sure this will be changing in the future. Seems like for right now they're gauging video performance, interest and user stats. But as far as the future of broadcasting, anything that can offer an alternative to cable or sat and get us closer to a-la-carte channels is awesome.

Yeah. Like Brasil doesn't have enough of an advantage on everybody....

I'd like to give some props to ESPN3.com for carrying, literally, all the games live. They've done this for many events, including French Open, Wimbeldon, etc. since I got this new computer that can handle video. (You also have to be on an ISP that allows access.) And ESPN3 is run w/o ads... tho I'm sure this will be changing in the future. Seems like for right now they're gauging video performance, interest and user stats. But as far as the future of broadcasting, anything that can offer an alternative to cable or sat and get us closer to a-la-carte channels is awesome.

FYI

ESPN3 will be showing the major European leagues sans EPL starting in August.

What do the soccer fans think about the 3rd place game? To me it would be like the losers of the Conference Championship games meeting in the Non-Superbowl (Semi-Superbowl?). I just don't see that they players would be motivated for that game.

Are soccer players different?

Since always at work, I tried to use espn3 but it I needed my internet login(Comcast). I have no idea what that is so I had to use Rojadirecta to watch. Using Veetle it wasn't bad though.

What do the soccer fans think about the 3rd place game? To me it would be like the losers of the Conference Championship games meeting in the Non-Superbowl (Semi-Superbowl?). I just don't see that they players would be motivated for that game.

Are soccer players different?

Not at all...the German players have already come out and said they don't care about the outcome. I'm a huge World Cup fan, and I'd still have to look up who won the 3rd place match at the last event. I think the 3rd place game matters for countries who surprised their way to the semis. I'm sure Uruguay cares.

http://g.ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-...?urn=sow,254785

Not at all...the German players have already come out and said they don't care about the outcome. I'm a huge World Cup fan, and I'd still have to look up who won the 3rd place match at the last event. I think the 3rd place game matters for countries who surprised their way to the semis. I'm sure Uruguay cares.

http://g.ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-...?urn=sow,254785

I enjoy it. It's another chance to see two top teams go at it. It's sad to hear the Germans say that they don't care. I will watch and root for Uruguay. I think Forlan deserves to be considered for player of the tournament.

Very impressed with Spains pressure and possession. Never thought they would be able to do what they did, which is hold Germany to 2 shots on goal. Their defense and pressure on the ball suffocated Germanies offense. They could never really find a constant rhythm. At times they had over 5 players pressuring the ball on Germanies side of the field, it was really quite impressive from my point of view. The ball possession really isn't so much of a surprise because they have been doing that for over 3 years now, dominating play, when you couple that with their relentless pressure, you can see how they win 1-0 games on a consistent basis.

Very impressed with Spains pressure and possession. Never thought they would be able to do what they did, which is hold Germany to 2 shots on goal. Their defense and pressure on the ball suffocated Germanies offense. They could never really find a constant rhythm. At times they had over 5 players pressuring the ball on Germanies side of the field, it was really quite impressive from my point of view. The ball possession really isn't so much of a surprise because they have been doing that for over 3 years now, dominating play, when you couple that with their relentless pressure, you can see how they win 1-0 games on a consistent basis.

That being said, Holland will beat them.

I think Forlan deserves to be considered for player of the tournament.

Totally agree. The guy has been money all tournament. If there is a more dangerous player from distance, I don't know who it is. He gets some really wicked ball movement and almost all of his shots are on goal.

As for tomorrow's match, even being a fan of Germany I don't really have that much excitement for it. I hope Klose plays and they give him a shot at another goal, though, since that would tie him with Ronaldo for the most WC goals ever....pretty damn nice accomplishment! I read that he has some back spasms or something going on though, so not sure what's up.

Will be pretty quiet after Sunday, but at least NFL camps open in a few weeks!

BTW, did we go an entire soccer thread without a single "kickball" post by AD?? Doesn't seem right! Hopefully he'll show up before Sunday lol.

How could people do this ****?

"Mr Fernandes has expressed regret that the allegations could damage his chances of playing for Brazil in the 2014 FIFA World Cup finals."

Least of his problems right now isn't it?

"Mr Fernandes has expressed regret that the allegations could damage his chances of playing for Brazil in the 2014 FIFA World Cup finals."

Least of his problems right now isn't it?

no ****. The dude is worried about playing for Brazil in 2014 after his ex was fed to dogs?