***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MVP of the match so far? Casillas. Not that his SAVES were great on those two Robben opportunities, but his DECISION MAKING to challenge Robben out in the box was fantastic. If he wouldn't have done that he wouldn't have been lucky enough to have his flailing leg deflect Robben's first shot, and if he hadn't done it the second time, Robben would have easily recovered the ball after being held up by the defender and gotten off a clean shot on goal.

Casillas has saved this game for Spain so far.

MVP of the match so far? Casillas. Not that his SAVES were great on those two Robben opportunities, but his DECISION MAKING to challenge Robben out in the box was fantastic. If he wouldn't have done that he wouldn't have been lucky enough to have his flailing leg deflect Robben's first shot, and if he hadn't done it the second time, Robben would have easily recovered the ball after being held up by the defender and gotten off a clean shot on goal.

Casillas has saved this game for Spain so far.

There was a foul on the second Robben attempt. Should have been straight red...

There was a foul on the second Robben attempt. Should have been straight red...

Yeah, the defender had his arm wrapped around Robben's waist and was pulling him back. If Robben has just another second or two, it's game over.

I can't believe how much soccer sucks. Why does every time someone scores, they run as far away from everyone to shout "look at me"? What a bunch of glory hound sissies.

You mean like NFL players that celebrate after every play...

I can't believe how much soccer sucks. Why does every time someone scores, they run as far away from everyone to shout "look at me"? What a bunch of glory hound sissies.

I can't really say what I'd do personally, but scoring a goal in a world cup match is a pretty huge deal...I imagine I'd be pretty damn excited about it too! You also have to keep in mind something I think Meazza said earlier in the thread....scoring in soccer is FUGGIN HARD. You only get so many moments like that in your lifetime, so it doesn't really bother me when they go running around like banshees and everyone jumps on top of them.

I think they are worse. They fall down and act like they blew out there ACL every time they are touched.

Most of us agree wholeheartedly that diving and bellyaching is a huge black eye on the sport, and that further measures should be taken to curtail it.

Most of us agree wholeheartedly that diving and bellyaching is a huge black eye on the sport, and that further measures should be taken to curtail it.

What`s hilarious is that when Robben was 1 on 1 with cassilas the second time around, he didn`t dive even though he was fouled and the ref looked away.

That was a second yellow and could even been a straight red since it was last man back.

Regardless, !@#$ Spain

They would decide the World Cup winner by a random draw?!?

That's no more random than the current system of officiating.

Dutch player is thrown out of the game for wrapping up a guy to prevent a breakaway in OT. Yet with 5 minutes to go in regulation, a Spain player does the exact same thing to prevent a Dutch breakaway and no call is made. How could that be missed?

Not to mention that the Dutch were screwed out of a corner kick by another horrible call and the resulting Spain possession resulted in the winning goal.

It was an entertaining game and tournament, but it's really hard to get past officiating that would be embarrassing for a Pee-Wee league.

That's no more random than the current system of officiating.

Dutch player is thrown out of the game for wrapping up a guy to prevent a breakaway in OT. Yet with 5 minutes to go in regulation, a Spain player does the exact same thing to prevent a Dutch breakaway and no call is made. How could that be missed?

Not to mention that the Dutch were screwed out of a corner kick by another horrible call and the resulting Spain possession resulted in the winning goal.

It was an entertaining game and tournament, but it's really hard to get past officiating that would be embarrassing for a Pee-Wee league.

The Dutch player was getting his deserved second yellow, which is why he got ejected. It was the right call.

On the Robben run, it should have been called but the ref let Robben get away with a massive hand push-off on the same play. If Robben goes down, the ref probably blows the whistle. If not, he doesn't. Robben fought through it and didn't make the play. TS. The early play where the Dutch player Kung-Fued the Spanish player (Villa?) in the chest with the bottom of the cleat was the worst foul of the match. Ref didn't red card on that because it was so early but it would have been the right call.

In all, the Dutch were clawing and pulling all game long and Spain had them on the ropes for almost the whole game. The right team won even though I was hoping for a Holland miracle.

Germany would have beaten the hell out of both of these teams today...too bad they had an off day in the semifinal match :rolleyes:

So be it. Enjoy your commercials. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I'd love to see a Bills game just played through without all the beer commercials.

The officiating definitely seemed to favor the Spaniards all day. It wasn't as bad as a typical Bills/Pats* game, but awful close.

I can't believe you said that.... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I'd love to see a Bills game just played through without all the beer commercials.

The officiating definitely seemed to favor the Spaniards all day. It wasn't as bad as a typical Bills/Pats* game, but awful close.

I disagree. Sure, some of the later decisions went Spain's way but the Dutch were extremely lucky that their thuggery didn't result in them losing players earlier. The kung-fu kick on Alonso was easily worthy of a straight red card.

I can't believe you said that.... :rolleyes:

LOL! Even though I know nothing about soccer (or football to the rest of the world), I must admit I followed the world cup pretty close and did enjoy the games. Those damn horns on the other hand....

though it will probably never crack my big five in sports, i may just pay attention to soccer a little more than I normally would. Both those damn dives after being touched has to go. they should be penalized for that. I say, no blood no foul. But that's just me. :nana: