Trent Edwards calls Jim Kelly Naive

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Jim Kelly, but this was one instance where I think he should have kept his mouth shut. Edwards may not be the answer to the Bills QB woes, but Kelly fanning the flames doesn't do anything to help the situation. I realize he has the right to say whatever he wants, but, honestly, the anti-California QB comment doesn't make him sound naive, it makes him sound ignorant.

I love Jim Kelly, but this was one instance where I think he should have kept his mouth shut. Edwards may not be the answer to the Bills QB woes, but Kelly fanning the flames doesn't do anything to help the situation. I realize he has the right to say whatever he wants, but, honestly, the anti-California QB comment doesn't make him sound naive, it makes him sound ignorant.

Countdown to the Senator's appearance in 3...2...1...

There are a lot of reasons why this franchise is a joke right now, but at the top of my list is the influence the former players seem to have. Why are Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas introducing Buddy Nix at his introduction press conference? Did Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swann come out and introduce Tomlin when he was hired in Pittsburgh?

No.

Why is Kelly ALWAYS on the sidelines everytime the Bills play on Monday Night Football? Go sit in the owners box.

I love what they did for the Bills when they played, but since they have retired, I see a bunch of ego maniacs who don't know how to handle not being in the spotlight anymore.

I don't like Trent Edwards, but sticking up for himself vs Jim Kelly is one thing I will support him on.

Seems about right. Kelly always pretty much called em like he sees them. Kelly used to get on his lineman too. Jim is just Jim, a great leader and not afraid to back up what he says. LB mentality. Kelly was also my favorite player.

On the other hand, good for Trent for saying what he said. Showing some nuts.....finally. Now, take all of this Trent, and let's see that confidence on the field. It would make everyone proud, including Kelly. Former Bills players and fans just want to see some fight in the current group of players.

I'm glad Trent kinda stuck up for himself. Although he was still careful in how he worded it. The Bills need someone with enough game to come in here and make all Bills fans and former 90s players forget about that era a little bit.

I think Jimbo is tired of seeing the Bills pick California QB's. Rob "I fallen and can't get up" Johnson, J.P. "The Space Cadet" Losman and Jimmy's new favorite "Capt. Checkdown" Trent Edwards. None have worked out and Jim isn't giving his vote of confidence anymore to Edwards. It was a dumb comment to say on Jim's part.

Jim isn't giving his vote of confidence anymore to Edwards. It was a dumb comment to say on Jim's part.

lol Jim doesn't get a vote. He's a former player. Not a member of the front office or the coaching staff.

I don't think Reggie Jackson is filling out lineup cards for Joe Giradi, I don't see Karl Malone making roster cuts for the Utah Jazz and I don't believe, no matter how much Bills fans want to make him untouchable, Jim Kelly has any say-so in who the QB is.

Kelly had a great career. Not as great as some would like to believe, but great nonetheless. It's over now. Does Joe Montana go stand on the sidelines at 49ers games and talk about why the 49ers should never draft another spread QB? Don't think so.

"It's definitely frustrating because I don't know how much time Jim has spent in California," Edwards said. "I love the state of California. Obviously, I'm very biased towards where I grew up in, but it's a little bit naïve maybe that he makes comments like that.

"It's frustrating because I feel like there's a ton of great California quarterbacks out there that have played in the league for an extended period of time. I mean, we can go down the list right now. But he unfortunately said some things that aren't always the best things to say. But that's kind of the way he is, I guess."

Obviously a Stanford education isn't definitely obviously what it used to be obviously. California quarterbacks have obviously not done as well as obviously other QBs have in Buffalo definitely. Kelly is a Bills fan so obviously Trent is a little bit naive in his biased retort since he is not a Bills fan obviously.

Unfortunately Trent says some things that obviously aren't the best things to say from an English language point of view definitely. It definitely obviously speaks volumes about Stanford's policies towards obvioulsy graduating football players who are biased towards where they grew up in.

Obviously a Stanford education isn't definitely obviously what it used to be obviously. California quarterbacks have obviously not done as well as obviously other QBs have in Buffalo definitely. Kelly is a Bills fan so obviously Trent is a little bit naive in his biased retort since he is not a Bills fan obviously.

Unfortunately Trent says some things that obviously aren't the best things to say from an English language point of view definitely. It definitely obviously speaks volumes about Stanford's policies towards obvioulsy graduating football players who are biased towards where they grew up in.

In the part you quoted, he said definitely once and obviously once. Nice try though.

There are a lot of reasons why this franchise is a joke right now, but at the top of my list is the influence the former players seem to have.

Ugh. Amen. And not only with the team brass and media, but the fans, too.

Jim has the right to say what he feels. He's frustrated by the lack of QB leadership and play. Trent has proven he's not the guy. Jim is a Bills legend and like always he calls it like he sees it, which is bad QB play. On the other hand Trent has a right to say how he feels also but he's a very bad QB in comparison and don't chime in drinking the red white and blue koolaid and tell me he'll be better this year.

Trent needs to shut up and do something on the field to prove Kelly wrong. Until he does, Kelly has every right to criticize him . I'm sure Jim Kelly would be the first one to praise him if he actually did something good on the field, but so far, three years and absolutely nothing. So put up or shut up Mr. Edwards. His comment though say a lot about his menatality. It isn't that he's played horribly, it's that "some people aren't going to like you or the way you play". What a tool.

Seems about right. Kelly always pretty much called em like he sees them. Kelly used to get on his lineman too. Jim is just Jim, a great leader and not afraid to back up what he says. LB mentality. Kelly was also my favorite player.

Absolutely agree on both highlighted points.

On the other hand, good for Trent for saying what he said. Showing some nuts.....finally. Now, take all of this Trent, and let's see that confidence on the field. It would make everyone proud, including Kelly. Former Bills players and fans just want to see some fight in the current group of players.

Dead on. This team needs a healthy dose of "Jimbo" mentality.

I'm glad Trent kinda stuck up for himself. Although he was still careful in how he worded it. The Bills need someone with enough game to come in here and make all Bills fans and former 90s players forget about that era a little bit.

If that's all we get when Trent stands up for himself, somebody, please, ship his ass back to California where he belongs.

Losman had more fight than the kitty Trent.

Much ado about nothing. Kelly has never had much of a filter, and good for TE that he isn't afraid to speak his mind.

I'm actually rooting for TE. I don't think any of us truly understand how dysfunctional an offensive coaching staff the Bills have had in place the last several years.

Trent needs to shut up and do something on the field to prove Kelly wrong. Until he does, Kelly has every right to criticize him . I'm sure Jim Kelly would be the first one to praise him if he actually did something good on the field, but so far, three years and absolutely nothing. So put up or shut up Mr. Edwards. His comment though say a lot about his menatality. It isn't that he's played horribly, it's that "some people aren't going to like you or the way you play". What a tool.

TE handled it well. JI\imbo's comments were a bit over the top, but that's Jim. TE responded with respect to Kelly but made his point. Nothing wrong with what he said. I'd like it too if he went out and lit up the offiense and this is his last shot at it. But any fair minded individual would have to say the circus that was last year's OC mess and OL disaster doesn't lend itself to boosting a shaky confidence. So ultimately, Trent does have to put up - but he shouldn't have to shut up when someone says something like Kelly said. let's hope TE reflects his coach and get tough and not reflect DJ anymore.