Trent Edwards calls Jim Kelly Naive

Kelly is a fan...and can say what he wants to say, just as much as anyone. Don't blame the fact

that he is frustrated. I have heard plenty worse on this board alone. My advice to Trent Edwards is....

If you want to quiet your critics, DO SOMETHING TO SHUT THEM UP!!!!

You can't defend yourself against anything JK said unless you put up the numbers

and start winning ball games. Just shutup and prove it. I know as a fan I am sick of

hearing about how Coach Walsh said you were this and that....JUST DO IT ALREADY!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, a fan who gets to introduce the new GM and coach and live on the sidelines during games. Kelly is far more than a fan. And despited being a HOF'er, he has to be accountable for his words. He took a shot at TE and to TE's credit, he fired back in a respectful way. Good for Trent. Like to see that feistiness on the field now. No one is comparing TE to Kelly. But Trent is our best bet to date to be our QB and I'm happy to see he has some life in him. We'll know more in a few months.

Jim Kelly is far more than a fan. He is an employee of the Bills. When asked on WGR55 radio if he worked for the Bills: He stated that he is on their payroll as a PR rep. He also added that he has nothing to do with the football side of the operation. The owner (who I have little regard for) generously put him on the payroll so that he would have a greater opportunity to work on his charitable foundation. The Bills have also allowed him to have his football camps at their facilities.

As a representative of the organization, even in a very limited fashion, JK needs to be judicious about his opinions.

he gets bothered when people take shots at his home state? That's a bit odd, IMO.

My sentiments exactly. What a bore... Jim said what was on his mind (jokingly) and Trent's "offended"? When our QB is worried about Bills legends comments about the quality of QB produced from a certain state, he is not focused enough on improving his game, IMO. Some of these players are the biggest bunch of whiners... Trent & Co. need to be talking about how they are going to be better in 2010.

Trent is not getting the point. People critized him for his performance, not where he is from. Why was he bothered by Jimbo's comment about not drafting another California QB? He should worry about doing his job. When is he going to explain why he played so horribly? Nice change of subject , Trent. I bet he learn that from his former coach.

Jim kelly made those around him better, a mark of a truly great QB. Are you serious in comparing Edwards and Kelly? If so I am embarrassed for you.

on the contrary....i am not comparing the two....you simply can't........different teams, different era (FA), different circumstances.....that is exactly why I brougt these things up. You can't compare the two. I feel Jim was way better, heck he's a 1st rounder too....and Jim had more than 4 years continuity with players and coaches alike to build his HOF career. How can anyone compare the two?

I am a huge Jim Kelly fan too. I'm a Bills fan first though. The comments Jim and others have that call out TE when you can call out soooo many others before him (coaching staff, front office, other players....) are a bit reckless. Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but to put it squarely on the QB and think that a Jimmy Clausen or Tim Tebow will come in here and rescue this team, is ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with TE's comments.

I can't see the connection of Edwards being a crappy player and being from California. I seriously doubt coming from one of the other 49 states would change things. Still crap any way you wrap it

He had two explosive wide recievers and a good running attack and still loses his starting job to Ryan Fitzpatrick now we think he's going to shine. I hope so but I also hope I hit the lottery what's the better chance ?

My sentiments exactly. What a bore... Jim said what was on his mind (jokingly) and Trent's "offended"? When our QB is worried about Bills legends comments about the quality of QB produced from a certain state, he is not focused enough on improving his game, IMO. Some of these players are the biggest bunch of whiners... Trent & Co. need to be talking about how they are going to be better in 2010.

Are you for real? What if he said that everyone who works where you work are lazy a-holes, and you say something does that mean you aren't commited to your job? Doesn't even make any sense at all.

on the contrary....i am not comparing the two....you simply can't........different teams, different era (FA), different circumstances.....that is exactly why I brougt these things up. You can't compare the two. I feel Jim was way better, heck he's a 1st rounder too....and Jim had more than 4 years continuity with players and coaches alike to build his HOF career. How can anyone compare the two?

I am a huge Jim Kelly fan too. I'm a Bills fan first though. The comments Jim and others have that call out TE when you can call out soooo many others before him (coaching staff, front office, other players....) are a bit reckless. Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but to put it squarely on the QB and think that a Jimmy Clausen or Tim Tebow will come in here and rescue this team, is ridiculous.

what's ridiculous is to pretend Edwards is anything the biggest difference isn't era's or teams or continuity one can play one can't. When you don't preform at the quarterback position they make changes

what's ridiculous is to pretend Edwards is anything the biggest difference isn't era's or teams or continuity one can play one can't. When you don't preform at the quarterback position they make changes

So he was supposed to form before he got here? That answers alot of my questions.

Lets see TE prove that a California QB can hack it in WNY. Proof is in the pudding and the last 3 Calif QBs have been awful, up until this point.

Where a player is from doesn't have anything to do with how they play once they reach the NFL. If is does, that could explain why Lynch runs over people and gets pulled over about every day, a California boy can't drive in WNY.

I think Trent Edwards may be to the point where he has nothing to lose. Everyone has been down on him and he's finally speaking up. I think he grew a set over the offseason and has a point to prove. Nothing pissed me off more than last year when asked if he would have booed and he said I don't know I'm not a Buffalo Bills fan. Maybe he has changed and will step up and lead this circus that has been in Orchard Park for the last 10 years. Cross our fingers.

I think Trent Edwards may be to the point where he has nothing to lose. Everyone has been down on him and he's finally speaking up. I think he grew a set over the offseason and has a point to prove. Nothing pissed me off more than last year when asked if he would have booed and he said I don't know I'm not a Buffalo Bills fan. Maybe he has changed and will step up and lead this circus that has been in Orchard Park for the last 10 years. Cross our fingers.

Why? Because he said Jim Kelly's comment was "a bit naive maybe"?

That's possibly the most milquetoast quote I've ever heard and see no reason to think the person being quoted has a full coin purse instead of just a purse...

Interesting response, and I'm glad to finally see Trent speak w/some confidence, authority, and stand as an individual.

Let's face it, CAL QB's do not exactly have the greatest reputation amongst some people. The belief is that because the weather is so good, the lifestyle is so laid back, etc then the QB is not going to be the tough field general that he needs to be. A QB like Todd Marinovich or a Rob Johnson do little to erase this. But generalities seldom address the reality of the situation.

To blanket all QB's heralding from CA as sub-par does attempt to ignore the Tom Brady's. As much as I hate the Patriots and their dominance this past decade, you can't argue with success.

Kelly was speaking in generalities, and that is seldom a good thing.

And though I am not a Trent groupie, I do think that he has not been given a fair shake in a sound system. I can point to a revolving door of offensive coordinators. A front office that (until now) did not have a clue how to build a team and give the offense the weapons it needs. The porous offensive line that was an afterthought by the front office for the past decade. You can't play QB effectively if you are constantly on your arse. No clear #2 receiver. No certified QB coach, who can build a young rookie, develop the appropriate mechanics, and d-e-v-e-l-o-p the young man. Then add in those concussions, and I think the moniker 'Trentative' is accurate- because he has been literally playing to save his life.

The biggest problem I see in all of this is time. The Bills and us fans have been anxiously awaiting the team to replace Jim Kelly for over a decade now. They keep failing, and our patience is gone. Jim Kelly had the benefit of the doubt in that he played behind a line that had Will Wolford, Howard "House" Ballard, Jim Ritcher, Kent Hull, and John Davis. Later, it was John Fina and Ruben Brown. Receivers were Hall of Famers Andre Reed and James Lofton. I'm sure if the shoe were on the other foot, Kelly would be screaming for some protection and not for a change at the QB position.

Is Edwards Jim Kelly? I don't think so. Kelly was much more electric, decisive, tough, and a leader to boot. The vacuum at the Bills QB position is what has damaged Trent the most. Somebody needs to step up, and the time it takes to groom somebody has not been made available. Which is why I don't understand why the Bills don't sign a Jeff Garcia for 2 years, coach the heck out of Trent, Levi, and Brohm with the hopes that one of them will emerge with sound tutelage. I always like to look at Steve Young- who is my #2 all-time favorite QB behind Jimbo. He was miserable in Tampa. When he was picked up by San Fran, the 9'ers already had their QB in Montana. Young sat for a l-o-n-g time, learning, studying, and waiting. It was a different league then that did not have free agency, but he was allowed to sit and develop.

Edwards was thrown into the fire against the Patriots IN NEW ENGLAND!!! Hardly the best place to build confidence as a young player. I like Trent. I'm not as down on him as most are. He was the talk of the league when the Bills were 5-1 before they played the Cardinals and he got that nasty concussion. When he relieved Losman, we were all delighted because we finally had somebody under center that made quick, accurate decisions and got rid of the ball without turning it over. With Gailey's offense, a strong running game, and under the tutelage of Cortez, I am willing to sit back and expect Trent to break out of his shell of the past few years. I'd like to see a better LT signed soon, but I think Trent just needs to regroup, get some better talent around him, and things will be better.

Oh, and did I mention we still need a LT?

Jimbo's comments were that of a Bills fan. Nothing more. Kelly is as much a Bills fan as anyone here. We've all taken potshots at California QB's, given the abject failure of our recent signal callers from the Golden State. We know it doesn't mean every QB ever from Califonia will suck in bad weather, but that's just us. Unlike most of us, Jimbo has a mouthpiece and is routinely sought out to opine on the state of the franchise. It's nothing more than this, really. He, like all of us, watched the debacle last year and was as sickened as all of us, watching Trent dump off behind the LOS on 3 & 11.

I was big on Edwards his first 2 seasons. What I saw of him last year told me there's no hope of a great future with him as our QB.

If he wins the starting job this season, it will be by default and the quest to find a franchise QB will continue, IMO.

^^^^^^^^^^

This!

We all seem to see what we want to see in TE. . .

Maybe his concussion-based double-vision has finally cleared up and he can see straight for the first time in two years...

It's been a long time since we've been able to hear him speak because he's usually buried under opposing defenders...

I can't wait for these guys to all get their chance this summer and we can know more and talk less.

Plus, calling out JK is fine - and being rude about it wouldn't have made TE more right, or more manly. Respect is something we should look for even in our favorite HGH/PED fueled behemoths -- and QBs too, for that matter.

We all seem to see what we want to see in TE. . .

Maybe his concussion-based double-vision has finally cleared up and he can see straight for the first time in two years...

It's been a long time since we've been able to hear him speak because he's usually buried under opposing defenders...

I can't wait for these guys to all get their chance this summer and we can know more and talk less.

Plus, calling out JK is fine - and being rude about it wouldn't have made TE more right, or more manly. Respect is something we should look for even in our favorite HGH/PED fueled behemoths -- and QBs too, for that matter.

Unfortunately, TE's double vision will be back with the O-line they are going to field this year...They haven't done anything to address the problems at tackle. :lol: Wang may end up being very good, but he is a project at this point.