Trent Edwards calls Jim Kelly Naive

Trent needs to shut up and do something on the field to prove Kelly wrong. Until he does, Kelly has every right to criticize him . I'm sure Jim Kelly would be the first one to praise him if he actually did something good on the field, but so far, three years and absolutely nothing. So put up or shut up Mr. Edwards. His comment though say a lot about his menatality. It isn't that he's played horribly, it's that "some people aren't going to like you or the way you play". What a tool.

Edwards didn't mind Jim being critical of him, it was the gratuitous slap at California that bothered him. Yes, Jim can say whatever he wants, but so can Trent. Trent isn't one onehundreth the QB Jim was but even so, Edwards is right on this one.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a big Jim Kelly fan. Comments like that just make me irk him more. As Jim must have forgot how fortunate he was that he got to develop in another league and the Bills were able to build a stronger team than the one that drafted him. Not to mention Thurman Thomas was the difference maker on our offense not him. As the article eludes Kelly likes to dismiss California QBs but he seems to be forgetting about Tom Brady who to me is/was far superior to Kelly as a QB. As in today's game Kelly equates to Brett Favre/Jay Culter. Great arms with gunslinger mentality's yet had he been more of a cerebral type we might have won one of those Super Bowls. The question is will Trent ever get us to 4 Super Bowls? Not likely in this era especially when teams don't take the chance to develop QBs like they did in Kelly's era.

I've never been a big Jim Kelly fan. Comments like that just make me irk him more. As Jim must have forgot how fortunate he was that he got to develop in another league and the Bills were able to build a stronger team than the one that drafted him. Not to mention Thurman Thomas was the difference maker on our offense not him. As the article eludes Kelly likes to dismiss California QBs but he seems to be forgetting about Tom Brady who to me is/was far superior to Kelly as a QB. As in today's game Kelly equates to Brett Favre/Jay Culter. Great arms with gunslinger mentality's yet had he been more of a cerebral type we might have won one of those Super Bowls. The question is will Trent ever get us to 4 Super Bowls? Not likely in this era especially when teams don't take the chance to develop QBs like they did in Kelly's era.

Oh, really?

Which one might that have been?

Edwards hasn't earned the right so suck the sweat off of Jims smelly Jock. Jim was right Trent has has more than enough time.

that pretty much sums it up, IMO

Edwards didn't mind Jim being critical of him, it was the gratuitous slap at California that bothered him. Yes, Jim can say whatever he wants, but so can Trent. Trent isn't one onehundreth the QB Jim was but even so, Edwards is right on this one.

he gets bothered when people take shots at his home state? That's a bit odd, IMO.

I'm kinda in the same ballpark. Well Kelly has matured quite a bit, he was about as big of a douche as they come when he played. "His leadership" destroyed the 1989 season and possibly could have killed the SB years.

Edwards will never come close to the QB Kelly was. But it's funny that the things people criticize about him were the same things being praised when we were 5-1 in 2008. Personally, I hope Brohm wins the job because it's hard to trust TE no matter how well he plays because of the injuries. But I still respect Edwards and feel he takes a lot of cheap shots that just aren't called for.

Bills History 101: He called out Howard Ballard after a game. Thurman Thomas called out Kelly on a TV show and the Bickerin' Bills were born. One of the best teams in the NFL finished 9-7 and lost a wildcard road playoff game.

Yeah, I'm well aware of Kelly's comments after the blowout loss @ Indy.

The '89 Bills were not one of the best teams in the NFL: Flip Johnson was the #2 WR. Was Ronnie Harmon's drop @ Cleveland also Kelly's fault?

How was it that Kelly's " 'leadership' possibly could have killed the SB years"?

I love Jim Kelly, but this was one instance where I think he should have kept his mouth shut. Edwards may not be the answer to the Bills QB woes, but Kelly fanning the flames doesn't do anything to help the situation. I realize he has the right to say whatever he wants, but, honestly, the anti-California QB comment doesn't make him sound naive, it makes him sound ignorant.

You're right about keeping his mouth shut. No matter how everyone feels about Jim Kelly, you need to remember who was in the center of "the bickering Bills" and then flash forward 20 years. It's got the same DNA!

Yeah, I'm well aware of Kelly's comments after the blowout loss @ Indy.

The '89 Bills were not one of the best teams in the NFL: Flip Johnson was the #2 WR. Was Ronnie Harmon's drop @ Cleveland also Kelly's fault?

How was it that Kelly's " 'leadership' possibly could have killed the SB years"?

You honestly having your pro bowl rb and Qb bitching at each other was good for the team? Or your QB calling out his o linemen in the press? Personally, I think that's the exact opposite of good leadership.

Kelly did mature over the years. But he also had the luxury of playing on one of the most talented teams in the NFL. It's not an accident that when Reich came in, the team never missed a beat. Kelly sucked his 3rd year in the NFL http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm (15 tds, 17 INts) even though he had 2 additional pro seasons of experience, yet played with such good talent that the team went 12-4.

Again, I'm saying Edwards is in the same universe as Kelly. But I would think a former QB would be sensitive to the plight of a young QB.

You honestly having your pro bowl rb and Qb bitching at each other was good for the team? Or your QB calling out his o linemen in the press? Personally, I think that's the exact opposite of good leadership.

Kelly's "leadership" was not the main cause of the Bickering Bills.

It was the perception of how Kelly was being treated and how Kelly viewed himself.

Smerlas used to take shots at Kelly during post game interviews.

Calling out Ballard was the straw that broke the camels back.

Even after 1989, Kelly still called out players. He stopped doing it during post game interviews.

Much ado about nothing. Kelly has never had much of a filter, and good for TE that he isn't afraid to speak his mind.

I'm actually rooting for TE. I don't think any of us truly understand how dysfunctional an offensive coaching staff the Bills have had in place the last several years.

Word. I blame our revolving door of O coaches and HC more than the QB's we've had.

Jimbo had Marv Levy & Ted Marchibroda.

TE had Firemarshall Bill and Turk Schonert/AVP

As for teammates, Kelly played on offense with 2 HOF'ers, Metzelarz, McKeller and Andre Reed.

TE has had Marshawn Lynch parttime, and Lee Evans...and TO for a few games. That's it!

JK was protected by guys named Ritcher, Hull, Ballard.

TE? By an allstar cast of rookies and journeymen and one legged gypsy whores

Trent Edwards should not even be on this team or in the NFL for that matter. Therefore I could care less what he thinks about Jim Kelly. He should never be used in the same sentence as Kelly.

Word. I blame our revolving door of O coaches and HC more than the QB's we've had.

Jimbo had Marv Levy & Ted Marchibroda.

TE had Firemarshall Bill and Turk Schonert/AVP

As for teammates, Kelly played on offense with 2 HOF'ers, Metzelarz, McKeller and Andre Reed.

TE has had Marshawn Lynch parttime, and Lee Evans...and TO for a few games. That's it!

JK was protected by guys named Ritcher, Hull, Ballard.

TE? By an allstar cast of rookies and journeymen and one legged gypsy whores

Jim kelly made those around him better, a mark of a truly great QB. Are you serious in comparing Edwards and Kelly? If so I am embarrassed for you.

Kelly did mature over the years. But he also had the luxury of playing on one of the most talented teams in the NFL. It's not an accident that when Reich came in, the team never missed a beat. Kelly sucked his 3rd year in the NFL http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm (15 tds, 17 INts) even though he had 2 additional pro seasons of experience, yet played with such good talent that the team went 12-4.

Again, I'm saying Edwards is in the same universe as Kelly. But I would think a former QB would be sensitive to the plight of a young QB.

Kelly made the team and those around him great. Reich and Kelly do not compare...Reich was a good backup.

Jimbo's comments were that of a Bills fan. Nothing more. Kelly is as much a Bills fan as anyone here. We've all taken potshots at California QB's, given the abject failure of our recent signal callers from the Golden State. We know it doesn't mean every QB ever from Califonia will suck in bad weather, but that's just us. Unlike most of us, Jimbo has a mouthpiece and is routinely sought out to opine on the state of the franchise. It's nothing more than this, really. He, like all of us, watched the debacle last year and was as sickened as all of us, watching Trent dump off behind the LOS on 3 & 11.

I was big on Edwards his first 2 seasons. What I saw of him last year told me there's no hope of a great future with him as our QB.

If he wins the starting job this season, it will be by default and the quest to find a franchise QB will continue, IMO.

Jimbo's comments were that of a Bills fan. Nothing more. Kelly is as much a Bills fan as anyone here. We've all taken potshots at California QB's, given the abject failure of our recent signal callers from the Golden State. We know it doesn't mean every QB ever from Califonia will suck in bad weather, but that's just us. Unlike most of us, Jimbo has a mouthpiece and is routinely sought out to opine on the state of the franchise. It's nothing more than this, really. He, like all of us, watched the debacle last year and was as sickened as all of us, watching Trent dump off behind the LOS on 3 & 11.

I was big on Edwards his first 2 seasons. What I saw of him last year told me there's no hope of a great future with him as our QB.

If he wins the starting job this season, it will be by default and the quest to find a franchise QB will continue, IMO.

Oh yeah, a fan who gets to introduce the new GM and coach and live on the sidelines during games. Kelly is far more than a fan. And despited being a HOF'er, he has to be accountable for his words. He took a shot at TE and to TE's credit, he fired back in a respectful way. Good for Trent. Like to see that feistiness on the field now. No one is comparing TE to Kelly. But Trent is our best bet to date to be our QB and I'm happy to see he has some life in him. We'll know more in a few months.

Oh yeah, a fan who gets to introduce the new GM and coach and live on the sidelines during games. Kelly is far more than a fan. And despited being a HOF'er, he has to be accountable for his words. He took a shot at TE and to TE's credit, he fired back in a respectful way. Good for Trent. Like to see that feistiness on the field now. No one is comparing TE to Kelly. But Trent is our best bet to date to be our QB and I'm happy to see he has some life in him. We'll know more in a few months.

Oh my how our standards for a starting QB have dropped...time will tell. Hope you are right...

I love Jim Kelly, but this was one instance where I think he should have kept his mouth shut. Edwards may not be the answer to the Bills QB woes, but Kelly fanning the flames doesn't do anything to help the situation. I realize he has the right to say whatever he wants, but, honestly, the anti-California QB comment doesn't make him sound naive, it makes him sound ignorant.

I totally agree with you. Jim Kelly is my all-time favorite player, in fact my house is almost a shrine to him, but you are right, he was wrong here. Sometimes former great athletes get in their heads that because they were great on the field that they know everything, can do anything or can say anything, and that their history as a player gives them that right. The people complaining about what Edwards said need to consider this, what if Dan Marino basically said you don't want to hang out with anyone from Western New York because they are all idiots, how many would take offense to that? My guess is almost everyone up here. Kelly will always be a legend in Buffalo, but he was wrong in this case.

Anything Kelly says regarding the Bills will never be just another fan saying something. He has made it known that he would like to be involved in purchasing the team, and with his history with the franchise, he will never be just a fan. If George W. Bush made a comment on the current president, would it just be another concerned American stating his opinion, of course not, his comments will always be looked at differently. And we ALL haven't taken pot shots at California quarterbacks, I know I haven't and I am sure there are several others too who haven't.