Clayton ranks the worst 5 offseasons

It's really juvenile to hate every reporter/columnist who's not a fan of what the Bills have "done" during the offseason. Yet a guy like Corey Chavous likes the Bills draft and all of a sudden it's a 6 page thread about how he's great? Clayton has a ton of experience and is hardly a Bills hater. A couple of ago he did a piece for sportscenter and said JP looks great and he even picked the Bills to be a suprise team.

He gets paid for his opinion and he thinks the Bills stink....how the hell can you argue with him?!?!? There is a common theme amongst the Nix fanatics that the Bills will get there franchise QB next year. Don't the Bills have to suck to get a franchise QB?!?!? He even says so in the article!!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with much of what you say here although I think the Bills' WR corps has gone from pretty solid to downright awful and I'm not particularly enthused about the new coaching staff. I hope I'm wrong. As for Jauron's game management, that was the one thing he was decent at, I thought. His ability to go 7-9 with such lousy talent was actually pretty impressive. His game management and planning consisted of garbage ball on offense and utilizing tons of decent DBs on defense to keep the quick hit passing TDs in check (and hence the score down). That way, they were able to beat teams they should have lost to more frequently than they should have. He was playing not to lose, which is what you do when you have a worse team than the opponent. It drives fans crazy and will never get you into the playoffs, but the Bills of 2006-08 had 4-12 talent.

At any rate, I expect them to go 3-13 or 4-12 next year. I just don't see them being very competitive. I'm looking at the bright side -- landing a good QB in 2011, which they still desperately need.

One quick note: a thing that bothered me during the draft was the Bills' willingness to draft their guy within 15 seconds of getting on the clock. I mean, they weren't even listening to trades (or so it seemed). It might be a small thing; it might be irrelevant. But that whole episode left me wondering if the crew now running the Bills is ready for prime time. I mean, the good teams - the Eagles, the Pats, etc. - routinely wait and see what they can get.

I'm not sure how much talent we did or didn't have in the last decade because our coaching has been so atrocious, almost across the board. I actually think Perry Fewell was perhaps the only good HC or coordinator we have had since Wade, and he was always having to coach by the seat of his pants.

I agree, somewhat, with Jauron's playing not to lose strategy kept us in games but we lost a bunch of games to crappy teams, too, which we shouldn't have. He was a terrible in-game management coach. He never knew when to gamble and when to play it safe (as either way it usually backfired). He wouldn't stick with things or plays that worked very often (although he sometimes did with Fred Jackson). He wouldn't take over on offense when his coaches were clearly inept. And he completely lost it last year, actually before last year. How anyone in football can MOVE Langston Walker to LT and then install a HURRY UP offense is just plain stupid.

As far as the making the draft picks immediately, I am a little torn. Nix simply doesn't believe much in moving up or down. He said it flat out. He trusts his own judgment and his guys around him and they knew who they were going to take. I'm sure there were guys handling phones and calls and trade offers leading up to the picks. These offers don't come in at the last minute (although sure, sometimes teams up the ante a tad in a showdown). But Nix knew the kind of player he wanted, and who he was going to draft, and felt he didn't really needed to move up or down, he got his guy. We'll just have to wait and see whether or not he chose the right ones.

I am SO sick of hearing how great the Patriots draft. Their drafts have been crappy for five straight years with very few exceptions like Mayo, who was supposed to be great. The Patriots are great because they have the best coach, they made a couple huge scores in free agency because players thought they had a chance to win the bowl with Bellicheat and because they lucked out with Brady. Their wheeling and dealing has gotten them nowhere.

1) Cornell green is a fine RT and Bell now is healthy and a year more experienced...and lots of potential!

2) Edwards has shown flairs of being pretty good and in a ground dominated theme, he just may be all right. Also, hey.. Brohm also may be the answer.

3) Owens is a has been and Reed is a 3rd receiver at best while we have several fine young ones to look at.

4) Chan Gailey has been successful wherever he's been.

5) Troup just might be a very fine NG.

6) No sweat with the LB's

7) Pats, Jets, Fish pfffft!

1)define fine

2)define flairs

3)Owens was the Bills best WR last year.

4)Define Successful

5)see #1

6)This statement is completely absurd. There is no depth and no one on the roster who has played outside before. Really ridiculous statement bud.

7)Define pfffft.

Weed makes you say and do silly things. Now back to the poolhall!

It's really juvenile to hate every reporter/columnist who's not a fan of what the Bills have "done" during the offseason. Yet a guy like Corey Chavous likes the Bills draft and all of a sudden it's a 6 page thread about how he's great? Clayton has a ton of experience and is hardly a Bills hater. A couple of ago he did a piece for sportscenter and said JP looks great and he even picked the Bills to be a suprise team.

He gets paid for his opinion and he thinks the Bills stink....how the hell can you argue with him?!?!? There is a common theme amongst the Nix fanatics that the Bills will get there franchise QB next year. Don't the Bills have to suck to get a franchise QB?!?!? He even says so in the article!!!

I hope you know sir, that you just got kicked off the TBD cheerleading squad for posting this. Shame on you. Two favorite whipping boys, a "negative" reporter, AND ESPN.

You will be blackballed by a few shortly.

Can't really argue with the assessment. I'd feel a lot better if I knew our OL was upgraded entering the season. Still, maybe it's good that expectations are at a rock bottom for us around the league.

FWIW, he says things look worse for us because our AFC East rivals have had 3 of the best 5 offseasons.

the mouse's blog

Is the glass half full or half empty? What is so bad about a young offensive line. The way I see it they can only get better and the coaching staff should help in that department too. Last years draft we spent a first and a second on O linemen. Let everyone think we are gonna blow sweaty donkey nuts. I hope we surprise everyone and cram the ball down peoples throats. I know, it may be a pipedream, but I am sick of listening to geek boy Clayton and all the others who dont know squat about football. Ok I feel better!

Well, I guess it's time to pack it up and wait for next yr. The almighty Clayton has spoken. Unless you want to take into account that we improved our run defense from last yr and added the biggest playmaker in the draft. with no playmakers and the 30th ranked rush D, we finished 6-10, so naturally, when we address those issues we will finish dead last, good analysis John. :thumbsup:

1)define fine

2)define flairs

3)Owens was the Bills best WR last year.

4)Define Successful

5)see #1

6)This statement is completely absurd. There is no depth and no one on the roster who has played outside before. Really ridiculous statement bud.

7)Define pfffft.

Weed makes you say and do silly things. Now back to the poolhall!

1) Cornell is gonna suck, I agree. expect a lot of false starts, holds, and facemasks this season

2) TE showed some real promise before his first concussion, he actually looked like a legit QB. I think he started off the same way against NE in game 1 last season, he seemed fearless

3) Owens is old now, Evans still has years ahead of him

4) Winning seasons

5) He's got the hard work ethic

6) Kavika Mitchell

7) haha yeah each team has had a 10x better offseason than us

Step outside your Bills hat for a moment and take a look from outside that bubble. If I'm a football writer looking at 32 teams, clearly the Bills had the worst offseason. The football writers of world believe the Bills two biggest short comings are Quarterback and Left Tackle. Neither position was adequately addressed in the offseason from their perspective. Levi Brown and Wang could become solid players, but it ain't happening this year or next year.

However... my understanding is that no team has ever, ever, ever won a game or made the playoffs in any offseason. So, we'll just have to wait and see what unfolds.

I don't blame anyone for casting doubt on this team. It has sucked for a decade. Hopefully, with a fresh set of eyes from a GM, coach, and player personnel director, there may be an actual building plan in place that works. In Sept., when the live bullets fly, I'll set back @ 1pm each Sun., flip on the TV, see what happens and draw my own conclusions. Until then... I ain't buying what they're selling. They'll need to prove it to me before I buy another ticket to a game.

So you think Arizona loosing Dansby, Boldin, and Warner had a better offseason?

The article is a regurgitation of conventional wisdom. He gets paid to do this... I've read much better analysis on TBD (then again, I've also read alot worse). Shame too, because I actually like Clayton, he usually has better insights than this drivel...

i completely agree that i've read better stuff on this board......clayton has to act like he knows all 32 teams and then right about them constantly......it's a tough job......but as for the 100% commited and concerned bills fan, there is nothing better then the info on this site......not always accurate, but a better batting average than espn.

As it stands right now, looking at all the rosters in the league (and keep in mind it will change as camps go along), the Bills have the worst Offensive Line in the leauge (they might get a bump up if Wood can indeed come back in time for camp). They have absolutely the worst LB corps in the league (they had it last year too -- before they switched to 3-4). They have the league's most unsettled QB position (but not the worst). Last year they had one of the worst pass rushes in the league -- they didn't improve this year in terms of talent, but the hope is that the change in scheme will bump up the pressure (and it can't do any worse than last year to be fair). And they have, outside of Jacksonville, maybe the worst WR corps in the league as far as NFL proven WRs.

All good points. One thing throughout this thread which strikes me is fans banking on rookies and 2nd year guys to perform at an adequate to above average level. Rarely does a team get instant starters who can contribute, let alone at foundation positions like NT and Rush OLB. Troup will be the first/second down man, and that's not good but the team had little choice. And then, you're looking at guys like Maybin or even Chris Ellis to provide pass-rush help in a position they've never played before.

Relying on too heavily on rookies and 2nd year guys is playing with fire. Buffalo could feature a heavy dose of Byrd, Maybin, Ellis, Troup, Wood, Levitre, Bell (RS 2nd yr)/Meredith, and the WR2 of either Hardy, St. Johnson, or Easley. That's 8 positions with a rookie or 2nd year guy.

So you think Arizona loosing Dansby, Boldin, and Warner had a better offseason?

Losing Kurt Warner and installing Matt Leinart at QB automatically made the Cards have the worst off season no matter what. It's not even close. Let alone Boldin and Dansby and a few others.

I'd wish Clayton, Mort & Barry Melrose would all drive off a steep cliff together

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH" lol.... :thumbsup: Da Billz! With the #1 Pick in the 2011 NFL Draft the Bills pick RB Pee Wee Herman, Country Bumpkin community college, lambswool,Alaska! A big gasp as Mel Kiper say's "wow that's a reach, I didn't have him projected until the bottom of the 7th round". "The Bill's must of really liked him a lot to get their player this

early in the draft."

Buddy Nix, later stated, that "Pee Wee, was under the radar and dominated against the competion at his level." He also

was surprised that nobody took him before them, and then realizing it...corrected himself, saying well I guess nobody could get him having choosing first in the draft! Hopefully, next year we'll be just as lucky."

Way, to go Buddy!! I'm sure those optimistic bloggers will continue to render you praise, despite your ineptitude and especially Tom Modrak's. :ph34r:

Promo, tell us about reporters you respect if you will. You have been blasting the media and reporters for as long as I have been blasting the offensive line. I thought Jason Peters was a very good tackle. What reporter do you think is any good?

Peter Gammons.

Jim Kelley.

Kevin Paul Dupont.

Vito Stellino.

Anyone who has relationships with the teams they cover, expresses their own ideas, cites facts or observations when making a point, resists echoing heresay and rumor, and most importantly never insults or personally attacks the people they cover. Is that too much to ask for?

PTR

Ahh, the great "Offseason Championship" race. This is what's wrong with 24/7 coverage of the NFL.

Let me know when they award the miniature tin foil Lombardi trophy to the winner of this non-existent title. I'll wait and watch for the team that actually wins football games to decide the championship.

Apparently.

The guys on Promo's list made their bones in the pre-Internet age, when being right/thoughful was more inportant than first/inane...

And back when writers had the clout to suppress the truth and were afforded more access by doing so. Little easier to paint a rosy picture when you don't have real competition for the content you are providing.

All these guys keep saying how bad the Bills draft/offseason was. No one should expect a complete turn around. That's what all these opinions seem to be based on and it's simply not realistic. The Bills have improved. They got a legitimate impact playmaker. The foundation of a much tougher defense has been set. Unfortunately they need another strong offseason to truly turn it around. It's going to be one step backward before moving forward.

I hope most Bills fans can be patient with this.

My panties are officially in a bunch because these guys say anything negative about the Bills. Come on..... They follow the Big Market teams and the Bills are way down on there radar. Once we start winning a few games they'll start crowing about how they thought Chan was a great hire. Please let the season begin

Step outside your Bills hat for a moment and take a look from outside that bubble. If I'm a football writer looking at 32 teams, clearly the Bills had the worst offseason. The football writers of world believe the Bills two biggest short comings are Quarterback and Left Tackle. Neither position was adequately addressed in the offseason from their perspective. Levi Brown and Wang could become solid players, but it ain't happening this year or next year.

However... my understanding is that no team has ever, ever, ever won a game or made the playoffs in any offseason. So, we'll just have to wait and see what unfolds.

I don't blame anyone for casting doubt on this team. It has sucked for a decade. Hopefully, with a fresh set of eyes from a GM, coach, and player personnel director, there may be an actual building plan in place that works. In Sept., when the live bullets fly, I'll set back @ 1pm each Sun., flip on the TV, see what happens and draw my own conclusions. Until then... I ain't buying what they're selling. They'll need to prove it to me before I buy another ticket to a game.

True I can't fault someone for thinking the Bills had a bad off-season (Although if they pull off a Gaither sign and trade I think they immensely improve their off-season). If you think about it this way they sunk most of their off-season resources (Free agents and draft picks) to convert to a 3-4 while that wouldn't be so bad we ignored our two biggest needs on offense LT and QB and considering that QB is the most important position and some feel LT is the second most important position its not hard to see that the negative perception.

Now on top of that we spent our biggest resource in the off-season on a running back? Spiller was a luxury pick when we had a lot of other needs. It wasn't a terrible off-season considering we are a lot better on the defensive front 7 but we ignored the two biggest needs heading into the season.

If we get Gaither its a good off-season considering we are more geared for a 3-4 AND we got help at LT (And RT with Green) it addresses two out of our three big needs. But as it stands now if I told you Trent Edwards and D.Bell was going to be our starting QB and LT going into this season would you say that Buddy failed to do his job?