Anonymous NFL Vet---NFL is a league of junkies...

Anonymous NFL Vet calls league drug program a joke...

Yahoo Sports Article...

Springtime in the NFL means a few things for players. First, we’re training to get ready for minicamps. Two: Our teams are bringing in rookies and free agents. And three: Players have to take a break from their favorite street drug of choice to avoid getting put in the NFL Drug program.

It’s only for a few months, because while the NFL is hard on guys like Brian Cushing(notes) (Editor’s note: The Houston Texans linebacker and reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year recently tested positive for a banned substance and will miss four games this season), it’s easy on players who use street drugs.

The hypocrisy of the NFL is that the league goes to extreme measures to make sure we’re not using PEDs – which, if used correctly and not abused, could prolong our careers. But the NFL has completely dropped the ball when it comes to street drugs. The NFL doesn’t want so-called “cheaters” – players being faster, healthier and playing longer. So they settle for a bunch of gifted junkies.

There are two drug tests in the NFL. First, there’s the random performance enhancer test. This can occur at any time throughout the season, on Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. We have to produce a valid urine sample under the watchful eye of an independent company. What’s a valid sample? It means the urine can’t be too clear or too yellow (they test PH levels before sending samples off to the lab), and the sample has to be given before practice. The cup has to be filled to the correct height. During the offseason, the NFL can also collect random samples anytime, anywhere: With 24 hours notice, they can have someone at your mom’s house in any town or state in the USA.

But street drugs? As long as we’re not repeat offenders in the NFL’s substance abuse program, we get one test and one test only. So every team has a few guys shooting up something: Prescription pills, marijuana, crack, cocaine, meth, pretty much any drug someone can pick up on a street corner is fair game for most players during the football season.

Pretty remarkable what a select few of us individuals can do when you think about it. Marijuana every morning – even a line or two before games. How about two Percocet, one Vicodin? Want a team doctor to give you a shot of Toradol, a powerful painkiller administered via needle that blocks pain receptors, lasts two days and (the best part) is pretty trippy to play on? No problem.

While the NFL is chasing down those PED “cheaters,” the real losers only need to cut back on drug use for about two months, in May and June. We’re warned at the very first meeting of May minicamp/OTAs by the head athletic trainer: “Annuals are this week … If you don’t get tested this week, you will be tested in June.” That kind of behavior almost condones the use of street drugs!

The whole thing is a joke. When players fail a test, other players say, “What an idiot … He couldn’t stop for a month?”

I know guys who (almost) silently pray to get tested in May. The longer they’re without, the closer they come to practically screaming, “Test me now! I need to smoke!”

The NFL’s substance abuse policy leaves the door wide open to abuse.

All i can say is whoa...I knew there were some players on drugs, but to hear it from this guy, almost everyone is on something...crazy...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't hard to believe - although I'm surprised - I thought the drug testing was random time and for anything. The way it is set up, if this is the case - is bound to draw attention sooner or later. But, with these guys making as much as they do, all of them having lived in the college setting for years - and drugs are a staple of life there, and then the opiate family of drugs that is sooooo addictive - I mean, once these guys get hooked on pain pills it'll take a huge amount of will power and determination to get away from that, not to mention having to deal with the pain of playing in the nfl without the medicine. I guess the only thing I'm really surprised about is how the testing is set up to let these guys pass. If someone is failing then they really have a problem, or are unfathomably stupid... or both.

Yahoo Sports Article...

Springtime in the NFL means a few things for players. First, we’re training to get ready for minicamps. Two: Our teams are bringing in rookies and free agents. And three: Players have to take a break from their favorite street drug of choice to avoid getting put in the NFL Drug program.

It’s only for a few months, because while the NFL is hard on guys like Brian Cushing(notes) (Editor’s note: The Houston Texans linebacker and reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year recently tested positive for a banned substance and will miss four games this season), it’s easy on players who use street drugs.

The hypocrisy of the NFL is that the league goes to extreme measures to make sure we’re not using PEDs – which, if used correctly and not abused, could prolong our careers. But the NFL has completely dropped the ball when it comes to street drugs. The NFL doesn’t want so-called “cheaters” – players being faster, healthier and playing longer. So they settle for a bunch of gifted junkies.

There are two drug tests in the NFL. First, there’s the random performance enhancer test. This can occur at any time throughout the season, on Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. We have to produce a valid urine sample under the watchful eye of an independent company. What’s a valid sample? It means the urine can’t be too clear or too yellow (they test PH levels before sending samples off to the lab), and the sample has to be given before practice. The cup has to be filled to the correct height. During the offseason, the NFL can also collect random samples anytime, anywhere: With 24 hours notice, they can have someone at your mom’s house in any town or state in the USA.

But street drugs? As long as we’re not repeat offenders in the NFL’s substance abuse program, we get one test and one test only. So every team has a few guys shooting up something: Prescription pills, marijuana, crack, cocaine, meth, pretty much any drug someone can pick up on a street corner is fair game for most players during the football season.

Pretty remarkable what a select few of us individuals can do when you think about it. Marijuana every morning – even a line or two before games. How about two Percocet, one Vicodin? Want a team doctor to give you a shot of Toradol, a powerful painkiller administered via needle that blocks pain receptors, lasts two days and (the best part) is pretty trippy to play on? No problem.

While the NFL is chasing down those PED “cheaters,” the real losers only need to cut back on drug use for about two months, in May and June. We’re warned at the very first meeting of May minicamp/OTAs by the head athletic trainer: “Annuals are this week … If you don’t get tested this week, you will be tested in June.” That kind of behavior almost condones the use of street drugs!

The whole thing is a joke. When players fail a test, other players say, “What an idiot … He couldn’t stop for a month?”

I know guys who (almost) silently pray to get tested in May. The longer they’re without, the closer they come to practically screaming, “Test me now! I need to smoke!”

All i can say is whoa...I knew there were some players on drugs, but to hear it from this guy, almost everyone is on something...crazy...

Why are you surprised?

why do you think the Bills finally got some guys from the power lifting world to join the "training" staff

with some expert guidance, POZ won't be suffering from brittle bones breaking due to his unsupervised doping program,

No suprise. The tests are only in place to make the fans and sponsors feel like the NFL cares. The whole system is rigged and is a joke.

Its the same garbage the NBA feeds with their "NBA cares" slogan. How else do you sell inner city kids to the suburban fans who buy the tickets and jerseys. You have to make them relatable somehow and legitimize what they are doing on and off the field. At the end of the day we are "sold". The only time we get the truth is from someone anonymous, like this guy.

I heard Joe Montana would inject Heroin in his rear at least three times *during* a game. Usually had Jerry helping him.

I heard you are devastated because you couldn't be there to watch it...

OK. One guys opinion: I don't really care about any 'drug' testing in any major sport. In fact, if doping enhances the performances on the field of play, go for it. There was a time -and I'm old enough to remember it with foggy fondness- when players were payed such paltry salaries, that they HAD to have other jobs during the off-seasons. Rumors of pill-poppin' were rampant then, as well, but it was 'accepted', if it got the player on the field the next game.

Todays' outrageous salaries, to me, demand a player do what ever they need to do to be freakish good on game day. The corresponding outrageous price to attend an event today screams that we be thoroughly entertained by human freaks. I'm not gonna pay top dollar to watch a 2- 170lbs guys wrestle in the WWE. Same goes for NBA, MLB and NFL. The players have made a choice in their life to perform a game for the entertainment of throngs of fans, who are willing to pay exorbitant amount of money to watch the game performed at a level they know they could never achieve. The games will undoubtedly leave lasting injuries with the players, but their compensation for their commitment is the 'price' they pay.

I'll get off my soapbox now with this final note: No one asked me if I give a damn about players enhancing their performance. For the record, I don't. JMO.

This smells a little like BS.

Nobody casually takes crack or meth. Also, Toradol is not a "powerful painkiller...that blocks pain receptors"---it's an NSAID like ibuprofen only stronger. And it doesn't get you high.

Nobody casually takes crack or meth. Also, Toradol is not a "powerful painkiller...that blocks pain receptors"---it's an NSAID like ibuprofen only stronger. And it doesn't get you high.

The only part of the article I found correct was the time of year and amount of times they are tested. I know someone who works for the independent company that tests the local sports teams. He said if they have not violated or failed a previous test then they go once before camp and then at the end of the year.

why do you think the Bills finally got some guys from the power lifting world to join the "training" staff

with some expert guidance, POZ won't be suffering from brittle bones breaking due to his unsupervised doping program,

Is Boniva on the list of banned substances?

People do take drugs that we've all been lead to believe are super addictive in very casual ways. Not all people get addicted to substances in a way that they lose control. It's very easy to have a $500/week coke habit and still come into work every day. In many cases drug addictiveness is expressed in the most extreme ways for two reasons: 1. to scare you into not doing it and 2. to speak to the people who really are going to have a problem with it as opposed to those who will not have it take over their lives. People used heroin as a painkiller effectively for a l while before it was made illegal. Not everyone who uses it gets addicted, just a higher percentage of people than with morphine, which still has a high addiction rate. I'd bet most of these guys, having trained hard for sports fo rmost of their lives, are not huge addiction risks because believe it or not they probably have a good deal of will power to do things (or not) based on necessity.

Also, ibuprofen blocks pain receptors as does Toradol - not sure about getting you high though.

People do take drugs that we've all been lead to believe are super addictive in very casual ways. Not all people get addicted to substances in a way that they lose control. It's very easy to have a $500/week coke habit and still come into work every day. In many cases drug addictiveness is expressed in the most extreme ways for two reasons: 1. to scare you into not doing it and 2. to speak to the people who really are going to have a problem with it as opposed to those who will not have it take over their lives. People used heroin as a painkiller effectively for a l while before it was made illegal. Not everyone who uses it gets addicted, just a higher percentage of people than with morphine, which still has a high addiction rate. I'd bet most of these guys, having trained hard for sports fo rmost of their lives, are not huge addiction risks because believe it or not they probably have a good deal of will power to do things (or not) based on necessity.

Also, ibuprofen blocks pain receptors as does Toradol - not sure about getting you high though.

People do not smoke crack or do meth recreationally--if you use these highly addictive drugs, you probably do not have "a good deal of willpower".

Torasol, ibuprofen and other NSAIDs do NOT have anything to do with "blocking pain receptors"---they are not narcotics. They block the inflammatory response. They cannot make anyone high.

Yahoo Sports Article...

Pretty remarkable what a select few of us individuals can do when you think about it. Marijuana every morning – even a line or two before games. How about two Percocet, one Vicodin? Want a team doctor to give you a shot of Toradol, a powerful painkiller administered via needle that blocks pain receptors, lasts two days and (the best part) is pretty trippy to play on? No problem. never-give-up-on-your-dreams :thumbsup:

oh my

People do not smoke crack or do meth recreationally--if you use these highly addictive drugs, you probably do not have "a good deal of willpower".

Torasol, ibuprofen and other NSAIDs do NOT have anything to do with "blocking pain receptors"---they are not narcotics. They block the inflammatory response. They cannot make anyone high.

you cant make that statement. you cant speak for every person that has ever done those drugs.

ill give you that "for the most part" people do not do them recreationally. but for the amount of cocaine that is done by professional athletes, smoking some rock wouldn't be that different.