Bills Will Surprise

Owen

After looking over the potential roster I feel the Bills will surprise us by putting a pretty good team on the field...

They still have lots of question marks... I feel the Bills are still weak at both tackle positions... One of the QBs needs to step up. Another player besides Evans needs to step up and the TE position needs to be more productive. Over all I see a better offense because of the coaching changes and with Nix doing a better job then those picking before him.

Even though the defense is changing to a 3/4 style I believe they now have the players who can play it up front (7)..

The new defensive coordinator looks solid and capable....

The Bills will surprise us and not finish as badly as some in the media predict.

However... We will still not make the playoffs in my opionion....... But they will put a exciting product on the field and not be out played....... Bills need more talent at certain positions and that will come with time..... :doh:

After looking over the potential roster I feel the Bills will surprise us by putting a pretty good team on the field...

They still have lots of question marks... I feel the Bills are still weak at both tackle positions... One of the QBs needs to step up. Another player besides Evans needs to step up and the TE position needs to be more productive. Over all I see a better offense because of the coaching changes and with Nix doing a better job then those picking before him.

Even though the defense is changing to a 3/4 style I believe they now have the players who can play it up front (7)..

The Bills will surprise us and not finish as badly as some in the media predict.

However... We will still not make the playoffs in my opionion....... But they will put a exciting product on the field and not be out played....... Bills need more talent at certain positions and that will come with time..... :doh:

nice positive post and i agree 100% - we will put a better product on the field and be more competitive - forget the pre-ota's, pre-camp, and pre-season negative clowns on here - they know nothing else - better yet send some positive thoughts their way to help manage their seemingly difficult point-of-views that they collectively spew on a regular basis.

I've got an optimistic view on this season, too - and this is why I don't think it is foolish: This is just football; it's something these guys are genetically apt to do better than anyone, and they've already been doing it longer than most people have been at their jobs. I believe the difference in talent between probowlers and the average player at a position is usually not that great - sure, in some cases there are extraordinary players whose abilities dwarf that of others, but these guys measurables are all similar. So, to me, a lot of what constitutes perennial playoff teams is coaching, system, and staying true to a system for long enough time periods to develop players and a team identity. I think we now have - and it isn't something that is so rare that we should have been without it for this long - a good coach, one who knows how to run a team (think about our last ten year string - 2, almost 3 coaches without experience as H.C.!). He isn't messing around, he isn't concerned with anyone's opinions, nor the players feelings - nor is Nix - they're out to win games. So this team will look like a pro football team this year. It might not have all the right parts yet to be able to beat the better teams, but we aren't going to be run over, we aren't going to show up acting as if we already know we've lost. I think we're capable of competing for our division. It isn't likely - because we are switching a lot, because we don't have all the players yet - but why write us off before we even begin? Isn't the fun in football believing the underdog can win if they have enough heart and discipline and will power?

This is concievable. Team is same or better at most every spot, and should have far better coaching. the team should be better than lat year.

----------

O line.... + vet depth, - Bulter, + rook depth, +wood/levitre experience.....same or better

TE .......................+ experience.................................................same or better

WR1- .......-TO, reed, + easly...........................................................big ?

QB..........+ experience and rook depth..............................................same or better

RB..........+spiller, +lynch not suspended................................................improved

p/k.............................same guys.......................................................same

PR/KR .......................+++spiller ........................................................improved

Dline...-kelsay, +Dwan, + 3-4, + toupe/carrington..............................same or better

LB....... + Davis, +solid rook depth, +?Maybin do or die, 3-4?...................same or better

DB.......... same + healthy, byrd experienced.......................................same or better

Coaching- significantly better

FO- significantly better

Every year its like a broken record. As the memories of the last disappointing season fades, the Kool-Aid crowd starts with all the chest thumping on how great the Bills will be in the upcoming season.

Start thinking with your head and not your heart.

The offensive line is completely unproven with huge question marks and it is going to be a giant work in progress.

The defense is going to be completely overhauled with an entirely new scheme and about 5 or 6 players playing out of position and/or learning a new position. Every returning player has to learn a new system from scratch.

The coaching staff is completely new and they have never worked as a group before.

The QB position is completely unsettled with no clear quality starter or backup.

The competition in the division is far superior to the Bills.

My head tells me that this is not a recipe for success.

I hope the optimists enjoy their dreams of glory in May because the cold harsh winds of reality are schedulesd to arrive this fall.

This is concievable. Team is same or better at most every spot, and should have far better coaching. the team should be better than lat year.

----------

O line.... + vet depth, - Bulter, + rook depth, +wood/levitre experience.....same or better

TE .......................+ experience.................................................same or better

WR1- .......-TO, reed, + easly...........................................................big ?

QB..........+ experience and rook depth..............................................same or better

RB..........+spiller, +lynch not suspended................................................improved

p/k.............................same guys.......................................................same

PR/KR .......................+++spiller ........................................................improved

Dline...-kelsay, +Dwan, + 3-4, + toupe/carrington..............................same or better

LB....... + Davis, +solid rook depth, +?Maybin do or die, 3-4?...................same or better

DB.......... same + healthy, byrd experienced.......................................same or better

FO- significantly better

----------

FO- significantly better

This is a joke right? The Bills overvalued Troup & Carrington and seem to overvalue the DE's that they have drafted in the early rounds three years in a row! Chris Ellis is a bust who hardly plays and is forgettable, Aaron Maybe Maybin is a undersized tweener who so far has been a bust and was overvalued by the Bills who passed on the highest rated DE in the

draft Bryan Orakapo that the rest of the leaugue held in much higher regard and has so far passed the test. This Year selecting A. Carrington seems like a similar over value in the Bills assesment of Carrington's perceived talent. I think they

screwed up on the DE selection which remains to be seen. Aaron Schobel has sold his house in O.Park and will likely be

retiring. Schobel has consisitently been a bright spot at DE and will be missed. ©

Offensive line got addressed late in the draft and selected a guy...Wang..who has been a disappointment to date. He has some of the attributes you look for in a OT but has not performed nor shown the williness to perform up to his potential. (Sound's like a poor man's Mike Williams in my book).... Eric Woods has not been cleared to practice and is not yet able

to practice due to his potential career ending injury last year. It was a severe ACL/MCL injury that he may never recover from. Levitre is a little undersized but is a fairly sound player that can play multiple positions on the line. He may be a solid pick and a good player. He probably will never be the caliber of a probowl player but he's okay...and if Wood continues to

progress he has probowl potential. There is still questions at left tackle and the position is still a weakness. (C-)

The QB position is a postion of weakness and competiton on the Bills. There is no clear cut choice for QB and most everyone has a QB on the Bills that they wished were released, but few people have a favorite. Trent Edwards is shell-shocked ever since his first concussion. He has had maybe one or two good weeks since and many horrific performances.

T. Edwards looks at his initial read and if the receiver is covered this is when Trent Edwards becomes undone. Most of the

time Trent Edwards falls into a panic mode and just dumps the ball off to the closest receiver, tight end, or running back. The net gain is usually negligible. Trent Edwards also has difficulty sensing pressure on the edge or for that matter pressure

coming right up the middle. Once T. E. gets into a panic mode he has a tendancy to fumble snaps and take sacks. In the

duration of Trent Edwards career in Buffalo it has unfolded that there has been a steady decline, a loss of confidence, and

an unwillingness to take the blame. Trent Edwards also supposedly had a hand in Turk Schonert's dismmisal as the Offensive Coordinator and hid beneath the protective cover of Dick Jauron last season. When things continued to get ugly

and Alexander Van Pelt was fired as Offensive Coordinator and Dick Jauron as coach, Trent Edwards blamed both coaches

for the offensive blunders last season. In my humble opinion Trent Edwards needs to be released prior to the regual season!

For the other QB's R. Fitzpatrick is a adequate at best back-up QB. He has bright moments, but is mostly plagued with poor

Quarterback play. There would be no ramifications for releasing Fitzpatrick as he is not a potential starting QB in the NFL and with his many years in the NFL and is expendible.

The smartest move(s) the Bills could make this off-season/pre-season is to continue to evaluate the talent/or lack of at the position. Determine which QB's have a long term future with the Bills. I think when it all plays out that B. Brohm and Levi Brown will remain on the team due to their youth, and potential that they have. With Edwards and Fitzpatrick what you see is what you get. If Edwards blinks the wrong way this off-season he will be a roster casualty! I think the Bills are in the process of carefully evaluating QB Free agent's, and potential free agents that may be cut prior to the regular season.

I don't know which veteran Free agent they should go for (Mark Bulger??) but I think that they desperately need a QB that

has had a healthy dose of victory at some juncture in his career. They need someone with the experience that can help mentor the 2 young QB's they have on this roster so this doesn't occur again in the future like it did with Lossman & Edwards. (D)

The Bills haven't shown much in Tight End even though I was excited last year about the prospects of Shawn Nelson. He hasn't had the impact yet that he is capable of which should hopefully come to fruitation this year. The other TE's are

marginal. Overall this position has average talent. ©

Wide Receiver is not a positon of strength to date. Hardy has hardly been a impact player in anyone's opinion to date. He is hardly used due to multiple injuries and may be a bust. Stevie Johnson has great training camps but has not been an impact player in the regular season. I feel he could be a good WR, but can't be taking seriously until it happens. Marcus Easley gives me hope based on about 7 or so games in his senior year of college. Prior to that the offense was not a passing offense and he had no impact. Which Easley are we getting remains to be seen and the talent level in the NFL is far greater than his little school. Lee Evans is a solid wide receiver and will be again this year barring injury. He hasn't had the opportunity to excel due to the floundering Quarterback positon and the lack of multiple receiving threats the Bills have had in past years. T. Owens should have been retained in my opinion at a lower cost, but obviously there must be more

going on behind the scenes on this front than the general fan is aware of. Sure, he lost a step, drops passes some, doesn't dive for a catch..but he is still a force that would a dimension to the Bills offense. Seeing that the Bills already issued #81

this season he probably isn't coming back to the Bills. Josh Reed isn't great but he's been fairly solid for the Bills overall. All receivers stats suffered last season and I only hold Reed partially responsible. I think it would be smart to resign Josh Reed if he is still available? Overall, this position is one solid receiver short (C-)

The running back positon was a positon of strength overall prior to the draft. It seemed foolish to me despite the talent of C.J. Spiller to draft him with the Bill's #9 pick in the draft. This was a luxury pick that the Bill's didn't have! The Bills already have the highly productive Fred Jackson and with a better attitude M. Lynch is a highly capable back who just needs

to get his head screwed on right, while he still can! If the Bills trade Lynch prior to the regular season for needed positional

talent at another position then the whole scenario makes sense and I will praise the braintrust of the Bills instead of mocking them. But, to date I will stick with the latter and tell you that if they keep Lynch that the Bills don't need 3 starting runningbacks and one will probably be the odd man out on the bench and that will probably be Lynch. By drafting C.J. Spiller the Bill's also showed Fred Jackson a lack of committment and trust in his abilities and the coach already said that he isn't in the business of worrying about players feelings, that he only worries about wins! This is a good attitude for a coach to have, but maybe not to convey to his players. Gailey's & Nix's lack of confience will probably catch up to them at

free agency time down the road. (B+)

Kickers are important, but not important enough to try to sell your season ticket holders on purchasing tickets for the upcoming season. Especially when they send a portrait to potential season ticket holders of Moorman punting during the horrific Cleveland Brown's game last year! Not a good marketing move!! Of course we know that Lindell/Moorman are a

super tandem of kickers and the grade reflects (A)

I'm running out of time..and the D line still isn't up to par! Surprise...okay, but yes it is improved with Dwan and Troup

will probably be an adequate upgrade. I don't think he was the best selection, but okay. Overall I'll give the D-Line

average marks which a marked improvement (C+)

Linebackers is intersting..alot of new personnel including undrafted DE's and OLB's that may fit the 3-4 scheme. Carrington

is intersting with upside. I don't have a lot of confidence in Pozluzny like some of you as he seems injury prone. Mitchell

has not had the anticipated impact either. I think once the Coaches figure out what personnel fits and where to make the

cuts this unit could be a unit of strength. I'll give it a (C+) for now but expect them to be a (B) by season's end when they

gel as a unit and become more accustomed to the 3-4 defense.

Defensive back has consistently been a positon of superiority for the Bills. I think that will continue and give the Bills

a (A-) at that position. I hope Byrd can have as productive of a season as last year and won't have a touch of a sophmore jinx. I hope Leodis McKelvin continues to grow as a player as I think he has the potential to be a great player! (A-)

General Manager (C+)

Head Coach (C+)

Marketing (D)

But, until they snap the ball these grades are based on interaction with the team, the fanbase, and the media, and drafting, and finding personnel to fill their roster.

Overall, I see the Bills have an unusual year, with a horrific first five games. I think when the Bills gel as a team there will be marked improvement, but a little too little too late! I think when all is said and done that Brohm OR Brown will become

established as the quarterback of the future! I think it will likely be due to injury when one of the two get their shot and I think they will show promise, keep us tuned in and give us a reason for hope providing their is a season in 2011. I was not

thrilled by the draft, but their are some potential gems that have high risk/high reward potential. If things work in the Bills favor they may be a 8-10 game winner in 2011! But, with new coaching, systems, players, and a tough schedule my prediction for the 2010 Buffalo Bills is: 5-11

I agree with you Owen. Not trying to state the obvious but the team can go no place but up. We have a competent coach and staff, a better strength and conditioning program, some better players, and a better defense. I'm hoping we can find a few "diamonds in the rough" or free agents to add to the mix before training camp starts. I still think we will be a 6-10 or 7-9 club, but improving. Time will tell..

Every year its like a broken record. As the memories of the last disappointing season fades, the Kool-Aid crowd starts with all the chest thumping on how great the Bills will be in the upcoming season.

Start thinking with your head and not your heart. OK

The offensive line is completely unproven with huge question marks and it is going to be a giant work in progress. Not according to my 'head'. Hangartner IS NFL proven, Levitre is all-rookie and we saw enough of Wood to believe he'll become the best of the 3. Improved tackle play is needed but it's not a Giant work in progress.

The defense is going to be completely overhauled with an entirely new scheme and about 5 or 6 players playing out of position and/or learning a new position. Every returning player has to learn a new system from scratch. And this is terrible? Are you advocating we stay the same?? An experienced LB and DB are just that: experienced. Their transition will be smooth. Responsiblities remain largely the same as well as the mission: Tackle the guy with the ball!

The coaching staff is completely new and they have never worked as a group before. Nope! http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...12-e28749931a34

The QB position is completely unsettled with no clear quality starter or backup.

The competition in the division is far superior to the Bills. Mere conjecture on your part. We split with 2 of them and damn near all 3, last year. NYJ's playoff run was an illusion. If the Colts chose to go undefeated, Jets were toast. Miami? Seriously?

My head tells me that this is not a recipe for success. Then create a new recipe for your head..

I hope the optimists enjoy their dreams of glory in May because the cold harsh winds of reality are schedulesd to arrive this fall.

nice positive post and i agree 100% - we will put a better product on the field and be more competitive - forget the pre-ota's, pre-camp, and pre-season negative clowns on here - they know nothing else - better yet send some positive thoughts their way to help manage their seemingly difficult point-of-views that they collectively spew on a regular basis.

Is the font size a compensation issue for you?

Really annoying by the way.

Winning in the NFL, IMO, is

1] 2-3 great players...

2] Surrounded by solid to good players...

3] Coached up...

4] in schemes, game-plans and play-calling to put them in a position to succeed, score (or stop scores) and win.

The Bills coaching has been so terrible for a decade, and drafting/signing players has been so spotty if not piss poor, that we don't even know what we have.

To me, the Gailey signing (and the coaches he brought to the Bills) was an uninspired, and uninspiring choice. However, I am warming up to his style, what he says and does, and his football knowledge. The Bills are really going to go as far as Chan Gailey and George Edwards takes them, because coaching is so important in the NFL.

None of us has any idea how good a coach those two are going to be. We have some decent players. We have a couple who could be stars. We have some talent at skill positions. If Gailey is good, we could be good. I'm not betting on it, but it's a possibility.

Everyone remember 2001, similar things were said:

Williams has to be better than Wade, now it's Gailey has to be better than Jauron

The change in defense will help the team. Then it was 3-4 to 4-3, now it's 4-3 to 3-4

We can't be worse than 2000-went from 8-8 to 3-13, how far down from 6-10 can we go, 5 fewer wins is 1-15

Rob Johnson can't get injured and be as bad again. Now-Trent Edwards can't get injured and be as bad again. I don't remember who was the great (red) white (& blue) hope of 2001, like Brohm is this year, but Fitzpatrick is clearly in the AVP role.

This team is a lot more like the 1985 & 2001 Bills teams than any team that will surprise. Now the 1985 team won the division 3 years later, getting the franchise QB the next season-which looks like the 2010 Bills might be doing. Hey, maybe Brohm is the next Mathison-starter in 2010, gone in 2011. That's much more likely than him becoming the next Jim Kelly-Something Locker, Luck or one of the other top QBs might become in Buffalo.