Some Facts About Tom Modrak

Cromartie, Jackson, Jackson, Umenyiora, and Harris all were drafted into situations where there were already other pieces in place, which I'm sure helped. And Cromartie comes with some baggage (9 kids by 5 women and counting). Essentially, with the exception of Harris, at the time of their drafting the players you cite all went to much better teams than the Bills, and he truly came into his own under Ryan's defensive scheme. I think we'd all agree that it is hard to grade any receiver we've drafted since Bledsoe's first season with the Bills, cuz you don't know what they look like in an NFL offense.

Antonio Rodgers Cromartie (Arizona Cardinals) is not the same player as a Antonio Cromartie (Jets, formerly SD Chargers). One is a Pro Bowl Cornerback. The other is an All Pro "player" in the bedroom apparently. The later being drafted by the same power structure in which Nix was part of the decision process.

C

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had numerous conversations with people in the organization about the draft process.

So either you are actually Gabe northern, in which case I certainly don't doubt you having connections with some scouts still connected with the Bills, or you are some new poster who was a big fan of gabe northern's who supposedly has inside contacts within the organization and how it works?

The whole "modrak wanted cushing" thing came about from 1 buffalonews article. can we even verify that is correct beyond gaughn and wilson? In addition - is this the same tom Modrak who is responsible for finding Byrd in the 2nd round and trading back in for Levitre? Or does that credit go to Modrak? or to Jauron?

the point and bottom line is - unless you are actually in that war room, or unless you know a Scount who sees the process going on, I'd question how in the world a poster happens to know such things...

but if you are Gabe Northern, then disregard all this and your source is probably legit. sorry can't help but question all the people with "sources deeeeep within" on this board.

Just a couple of clarifications.

I have had conversations with two people, one of whom is involved in the evaluation process and the other was familiar with how selections were made. Both conversations occurred in social settings. I don't know either well enough to know if they were being straight with me, but the message from both was "what part of Tom Modrak runs the draft don't you understand?" So I believe it and pass this along. Neither suggested that Modrak wasn't overruled (perhaps even regularly), but when that happened, it was generally to get a guy in a different position that Modrak also liked. One expressed frustration with Modrak's uncanny ability to get info out to the media when his pick gets vetoed (Cutler in '06 and Cushing in '09, as examples), while simultaneously escaping accountability for the numerous instances where his recommendation was heeded and the NEXT GUY off the board at the position turned out to be far and away the better selection. The specific citations on this point were the 2008 debacle and the fact that he "fell in love" with hardworking Kelsay (over Osi).

Secondly, good points about the scheme. Modrak was supposed to find guys to fit Jauron's borderline insane personnel philosophy over the previous four drafts. Certainly the preference for inserting college safeties at LB and the number of picks used on DBs generally probably contributed more to the bad drafts over those 4 years than Modrak's evaluations.

Finally, I provided links to Pasquarelli articles where I was told Modrak was the source. Evidently, they are close friends and Modrak feeds him info in exchange for favorable coverage (being mentioned as GM candidate earlier in the decade to pry some spare change loose from Ralph, for example). See this PFT link or just Google Pasquarelli and Modrak. One link said Losman could still go first round (would he, had the Bills not taken him?) and the Insider version of the other (see sidebar) touts McCargo as a top prospect at a time when most teams had a 3rd round grade on him, at best.

Pasquarelli wasn't the only one who had a high grade on McCargo and Losman. Don't remember who it was, but it came out after the draft that one team about two or three picks back from where we got McCargo had been going to pick him.

And all right, I get that you seem honest about this, but I hope you get that I don't trust stuff like this. We get so much of it here and on all other boards.

Just for grins I went back and took a look at the players that the Patriots* selected over that same period. I chose the Patriots* because most pundits glorified them as having the finest personnel people in the league running things during that time period.

The Patriots currently have 8/51 players drafted on their roster. 8.

The Bills have 5/50 (if Schobel retires, 4). A whopping 3 players less than the Patriots. Not that big a difference to say the least.

Of course, all it took was 1 (Brady) to qualify everything the Pats have been since then.

I'm willing to bet that most teams have nearly the same rates of attrition but I'm far too lazy to do the research.

GO BILLS!!!

You're also far more likely to keep guys on the team if the same braintrust is running the same schemes year after year. With us, we've switched to the Tampa Two and now to the 3 - 4. You'll lose a lot of guys under circumstance like that.

Do you have a link for that? I never read that anywhere, and since Nix used to work for the Bills and was available, I figured that's why he came back.

Please substantiate that. Buddy's here because of his past association with Ralph during the Polian/Butler era...

Here's the link. I was right, it was Gaughan.

"Nix declined to comment on Modrak's contract status or role.

However, Nix said: "There's just nothing to say. We're going on like we were."

It's apparent Modrak will remain a key part of the Bills' scouting team. He has a good relationship with both owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. and with Nix. It was Modrak, in fact, who worked hard to talk Nix into rejoining the Bills as a national scout a year ago.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/01/28/9377...at-home-in.html

I believe all it takes for someone to be in the power structure at OBD is that RW has to "know" the guy. He got to know Russ as he came up in the organization and now considers him his son.

Doug Whaley was a Nix hire but it also shows which model Ralph wants to emulate in terms of building a franchise. Low overhead, high return. The difference is the Rooneys let their football people run the show.

I think Nix is an adequate hire. But I think we missed several opportunities to hire a great GM this offseason. All based on comfort factor for RW. Ralph is as old school as it gets. There's some good things from that, but on the whole I think we need more luck than talent to be successful with the way RW runs his football business.

He values loyalty more than a successful track record.

C

:doh:

I think this about sums it up. The Bills need a lot of things to go their way in order to be successful on the field again.

Pasquarelli wasn't the only one who had a high grade on McCargo and Losman. Don't remember who it was, but it came out after the draft that one team about two or three picks back from where we got McCargo had been going to pick him.

And all right, I get that you seem honest about this, but I hope you get that I don't trust stuff like this. We get so much of it here and on all other boards.

The Jints were going to pick McCargo.

Pitty they didn't have the chance.

Call the WAH-mbulance. The truth is no one here knows who or what Modrak was responsible for the last 8 years. Elaborate speculation does not equal fact.

PTR

The lengths that you go to in order to vigorously defend ANY perceived slight against this franchise is truly astounding. Why are you such a reflexive cheerleader for such a sorry, unworthy organization, PTR?

but if you are Gabe Northern, then disregard all this and your source is probably legit.

So a player who's been gone 10 years (or even 1?) gets inside info on who makes decisions in the war room? I don't believe it. If that's the case, then the rest of the NFL knows our business, too.

The irony being is that a professional talent evaluator's job should be among the easiest in the world to judge, since you have loads of data on who was scouted, who was recommended by whom and how those players performed in the real world.

In Bills' case, either the talent evaluators were overruled by other above, or the team's management has not gathered the proper analysis to evaluate the evaluators. In either case, it doesn't speak well of the franchise's performance in the last decade.

Ummm OP is aware of course that Modrak had a wildly succesful career before coming to buffalo right. That he was a canidate for at least 1 GM job while here, and that he's still highly thought of around the league? Just checking.

"it could also relate to coaching. not all talent necessarily displays itself, especially in the early years of either the coaches or the player

bad coaching can damage productive players, just saying ..."

Very well said, and I am in complete agreement!!!!

Or a double whammy. Bad drafting + bad coaching.

There were and are people with GM experience that are not employed by an NFL team then and now. Whether they meet your selective qualifications as "top-tier" or not.

When you claim Brandon had nothing to do with the football side of the business based on "the small test", you do know that he was given the title of GM, attended the combine and workouts, scouted players, was present and involved at training camp, talked about his plans to the media, etc. -- you know, the **** other GMs around the NFL do as part of their job as a GM.

I would argue, if not bet anything, that the ONLY reason Buddy Nix was never a GM in this league until this year was because of the way he looks and talks.

Most teams use and need their GM as the face of the franchise as much as the coach, unless you have a attention grabbing owner or top five big name coach. They deal with the media, they are in charge of the marketing, etc. The Bills, because of Brandon, don't need a GM to do any of that so Nix could work here as a GM. I would bet anything that if Nix looked and talked like Russ Brandon he would have been a GM 10-15 years ago. His GM football skills seem to be exemplary.

Ummm OP is aware of course that Modrak had a wildly succesful career before coming to buffalo right. That he was a canidate for at least 1 GM job while here, and that he's still highly thought of around the league? Just checking.

Thanks for checking. I am aware that this narrative of Modrak as a "wildly succesful" [sic] talent evaluator has been put out by Modrak and his agent. I am also aware that Modrak has used his friends in the media to make it seem as though he was a "canidate" [sic] for jobs the he never stood a chance of landing.

While this is somewhat off-topic given the post's focus on Tom Modrak's performance with the Bills running the past NINE drafts, I think his past success largely consists of riding the coattails of others in solid organizations. First, Tom Modrak was forced out in Philly in 2001. The Eagles' Super Bowl team was three years removed from his time there, with significant roster turnover during that period. McNabb and Dawkins the only remaining players on 2008 NFC Championship game team from Modrak's tenure and the team remains exceptionally talented now with ZERO players from his era. Modrak was in a good situation, was forced out, and the team has not missed a beat.

Secondly, Modrak is better playing the media game than he evaluating players. Read down to the Modrak portion of this PFT post. I know people may not like Florio, but prior to his hitting the "big time" his blog was the best thing to read on these issues. He'd spend all day talking to agents of players, coaches, and front office types about who was who's source, what's really going on in a job search, etc. Modrak played that game well and kept his name in the mix for GM openings even when he wasn't getting called for interviews, or was only interviewed because of the "buzz" created by a story.

Modrak was going to get fired in 2006, when Jauron stepped in to vouch for him. He should have been fired April 25, 2010.

I would argue, if not bet anything, that the ONLY reason Buddy Nix was never a GM in this league until this year was because of the way he looks and talks.

I agree that this has something to do with it. He's a good country boy, and there is a lot of prejudice against that.

Another strike: He's an old man in a young man's game. Another strike: he was just a part of the band behind bigger front names of Polian, Butler, and Smith. He had to pay his dues and wait his turn. And even now, despite training for the job amongst some of the best in recent history, he is totally unproven, a rookie GM.

Most teams use and need their GM as the face of the franchise as much as the coach, unless you have a attention grabbing owner or top five big name coach. They deal with the media, they are in charge of the marketing, etc. The Bills, because of Brandon, don't need a GM to do any of that so Nix could work here as a GM. I would bet anything that if Nix looked and talked like Russ Brandon he would have been a GM 10-15 years ago. His GM football skills seem to be exemplary.

You lost me here. Brandon has been almost completely invisible since and during Nix's hiring and announcement. He's in total stealth mode as far as I've heard, so I don't see him still trying to be the face of the franchise. I've seen and heard a lot more from Nix.

I'll wait for some sort of results on the field before declaring Nix the savior. Just the way I roll, I know.

Thanks for checking. I am aware that this narrative of Modrak as a "wildly succesful" [sic] talent evaluator has been put out by Modrak and his agent. I am also aware that Modrak has used his friends in the media to make it seem as though he was a "canidate" [sic] for jobs the he never stood a chance of landing.

While this is somewhat off-topic given the post's focus on Tom Modrak's performance with the Bills running the past NINE drafts, I think his past success largely consists of riding the coattails of others in solid organizations. First, Tom Modrak was forced out in Philly in 2001. The Eagles' Super Bowl team was three years removed from his time there, with significant roster turnover during that period. McNabb and Dawkins the only remaining players on 2008 NFC Championship game team from Modrak's tenure and the team remains exceptionally talented now with ZERO players from his era. Modrak was in a good situation, was forced out, and the team has not missed a beat.

Secondly, Modrak is better playing the media game than he evaluating players. Read down to the Modrak portion of this PFT post. I know people may not like Florio, but prior to his hitting the "big time" his blog was the best thing to read on these issues. He'd spend all day talking to agents of players, coaches, and front office types about who was who's source, what's really going on in a job search, etc. Modrak played that game well and kept his name in the mix for GM openings even when he wasn't getting called for interviews, or was only interviewed because of the "buzz" created by a story.

Modrak was going to get fired in 2006, when Jauron stepped in to vouch for him. He should have been fired April 25, 2010.

Yea no Jauron didnt save Modraks job.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2279669

Modrak was fired in Philly for being a distraction. Not for riding others coat tails.

Yea no Jauron didnt save Modraks job.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2279669

Modrak was fired in Philly for being a distraction. Not for riding others coat tails.

I never suggested that Modrak was fired for "riding others coat tails," nor do I understand how that would be a fireable offense. The expression "riding others' coattails," as I understand it, refers to someone who achieves a certain notoriety thanks largely to the success and talents of associates. This is my impression of Tom Modrak. He lost his job in a power struggle, but I am quite certain that Lurie or Banner or whomever made the decision has never regretted firing Modrak for one second.

This article you've linked to is entirely consistent with the notion that Modrak would have been fired in April 2006 absent the assist from Jauron.

Modrak was to retain his duties through the 2006 draft. Ralph could not get rid of his head scout in the midst of draft preparation, so he announced in January that Modrak was being retained (and not considered for promotion, I might add). The difficulty replacing the college scouting coordinator near the end of the annual process is also why I suggested that Modrak should have been fired on April 25, 2010 -- i.e. once this year's draft was completed.

This was a really good post on here I have two points-

1) Nobody is going to tell Donahoe who to pick not coaches not personell people he will make those selections by himself and he did.

2) The coaching staff has to know how to fit players into their scheme, we haven't had that