(LAMP) Been two years to the day

plenzmd1

And i celebrated by completing a half ironman. Thats a 1.2m swim, 56m bike, and 13.1 m run. Did it in White Lake NC, and the conditions were brutal (94 and very windy and humid), so didn't hit my goal time, but not many people did!! But ,I got across the finish on my feet , and was damn proud of myself. :(

I wanted to post this in this thread, http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...&hl=chantix

but it would not let me. Seems like yesterday I was trying quit..man if I can do it, anybody on this board that is thinking about it can, and I am serious about that.

Weighed 226 at my heaviest back then and huffed and puffed getting up a flight of steps, now weigh 184 and can propel my fat behind 70.3 miles on my own power :beer:

Time for many of these tonight as I cook our Mothers Day meal 0:)

I quit smoking cigaettes in 1994 and do not miss it at all.

I DO have 3 or 4 cigars a YEAR at tailgates, or some other fitting occasion, but have zero urge to do it regularly.

Quitting cigarettes was the hardest thing I ever did. I started smoking when I was about 13 because it was cool (duh) and continued for just over three decades.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Thank you to all for the kind words.

My main motivation for this thread was to let folks know you can quit. Not trying to be preachy, as Chef said "if ya got em smoke em", but dam it feels good to be in shape again!!!

And i celebrated by completing a half ironman. Thats a 1.2m swim, 56m bike, and 13.1 m run. Did it in White Lake NC, and the conditions were brutal (94 and very windy and humid), so didn't hit my goal time, but not many people did!! But ,I got across the finish on my feet , and was damn proud of myself. :sick:

Congratulations plenz! Really outstanding accomplishment.

Thank you to all for the kind words.

My main motivation for this thread was to let folks know you can quit. Not trying to be preachy, as Chef said "if ya got em smoke em", but dam it feels good to be in shape again!!!

I quit the cancer sticks back in August of last year. I gained a LOT of weight when I did that I'm now in the process of losing. But ya, it feels great to not be a slave to the nicotine anymore.

I quit the cancer sticks back in August of last year. I gained a LOT of weight when I did that I'm now in the process of losing. But ya, it feels great to not be a slave to the nicotine anymore.

Awesome Joe..I know the smoking was something we both chose to do..but damn it feels like such an accomplishment quitting the buggers.

Wow, that's amazing! I can hardly believe it's the same guy smokin it up with us at the Port O'Call in Salt Lake

And to you Dr. Rubes, yes I really did quit LOL. I bet that Sunday I had a good 10 smokes in that 3 hr stretch of a game, friggen Bills always made me smoke more, stress inducing bastages LOL!!!

Awesome Joe..I know the smoking was something we both chose to do..but damn it feels like such an accomplishment quitting the buggers.

Question for you...did you start an exercise program at the same time as quitting? I've been thinking about quitting myself, but work a fairly sedentary job and have two little ones at home (leaving less time than I would like for an exercise program). You quit and lost weight. Was that part of the plan and were the two co-dependent? Also, did you use any aid (like Chantix, the patch etc.) or go cold turkey? Thanks in advance for your resposne.

Question for you...did you start an exercise program at the same time as quitting? I've been thinking about quitting myself, but work a fairly sedentary job and have two little ones at home (leaving less time than I would like for an exercise program). You quit and lost weight. Was that part of the plan and were the two co-dependent? Also, did you use any aid (like Chantix, the patch etc.) or go cold turkey? Thanks in advance for your resposne.

That extra 15 years is really appealing, huh? :)

In terms of the quitting, I think I ,like every other smoker tried every imaginable way to quit, cold turkey, patches, Chantix, hypnosis etc. Then a friend who had quit told me to get this book."The Easy way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr.

The book is great, changes your mind set on why you smoke, does not try to scare with you pictures of black lings etc. As a matter of fact, you should take about two weeks to read the book, smoke the entire time you are reading it, and there are points in the book where you are instructed to go outside and smoke right then and there. When done with the book, you will have one last smoke and say"I am done, that was the last smoke of my life" and thats it. You are now an ex smoker, no patch, no chantix, no extra pounds etc.

I can tell you that I know of 6 other people have read the book, and I know 5 have quit and stayed quit for at least a year now, the 6th is a member here and not sure if has stayed quit or not. Either way, over 80% success in a stop smoking method is unheard of...and the best thing is it really does make it easier than you think it could ever be.

Here is the guys website

http://allencarr.com/central/

And his book on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1402718616

And yes, I planned the exercise from the start. Amazing how much better sleep you get when you stop smoking, so getting up in the AM before my kids were up was easy and I still had way more energy throughout the day then when i was smoking and getting two more hrs in bed.