Wish we still had

Everything said in that clip is true. Buffalo did virtually nothing this off season in comparison to the rest of the already powerful AFC East.

However, keeping Perry wouldn't have helped. So I'm not sure why you're hung up on that.

Wow...my feelings exactly. Didn't address o-line, qb nor were they active on the free agent market. I hope nix and gailey prove me wrong, but I don't think I've seen one thing that improves this team. I also think getting rid of Fewell and April was a mistake, but I suppose you want to give a new head coach a free hand.

If they get nine wins I'll be supportive. Not sure how they intend to do it.

Thanks for having the guts to start a thread on this. Yes, I think we would have been better off keeping Fewell. I feel we were making some positive steps with him at the helm, after he took over for Jauron. I don't see how Gailey was a step up from Fewell. I hope Gailey and crew prove me wrong.

I wished we would have kept Perry as DC instead of going to this 3-4 thing. Our D last year was #16 in the only stat that count, points given up. If they could have gotten some help from the O like in the Saints or the 2nd Patsies game for example, they would have looked a lot better.

We didn't do anything at QB, true which I don't like. But then again I think there is some truth in it at that maybe our QBs would be better with a sound offensive plan and more emphasis on our strength, running the football. Anyone ever heard of the theory, run to set up the pass? DJ and Alex Van Pelt never did.

But I do expect us to be competitive this year.

We'll see.

Wow...my feelings exactly. Didn't address o-line, qb nor were they active on the free agent market. I hope nix and gailey prove me wrong, but I don't think I've seen one thing that improves this team. I also think getting rid of Fewell and April was a mistake, but I suppose you want to give a new head coach a free hand.

does anyone think the new regime after evaluating the young talent we were forced to acquire due to injury last year one being Meridith that the new brass feels we have a good LT already on the team?

i'm telling you all to go do a google search on Meridith and it will blow your mind how highly rated he was. now all the know it all's will say why was he on GB's practice squad. well to tell the truth i dont know but there could be a million reasons.

i know one thing that physically he is one gifted LT and he is perfectly buitl to be a proto typical LT. he started 38 games in collage the last 28 @ LT his junior and senior year.his combine stats were great and i believe he was second in the bench press.

what i'm really hoping for is that this off season knowing the LT position was open he worked his butt off and gained 20 lbs. the only knock on the kid coming out was that he was only 300 lbs. that should be no problem the guy is 6 foot 5. if he broke his butt then we could have a younger better jason peters.

dont forget peters was a TE in collage and had to transition to OL in the pros. that was not the case with Meridith he was always a tackle and started 38 collage games as a LT and a few @ guard due to injuries on his collage team.

i know one thing they were trying to stash him there and i have to give credit to the bills for grabbing him last year. i get this opinion from reading all the articles from scouts and other football people when i googled him and watching him play last year.

secondly regarding to the QB position. everybody and their grand mother was of the opinion that this was not a good draft for the QB position. well it turned out that they were right.

everyone bitches that we didnt take mccoy or clausen but there was a reason they fell so far. clausen went from a top 10 pick to a mid second rounder and colt fell much further.

forget the bills who half the people on these boards hate anyway but was the rest of the NFL also brain dead?

why if these 2 guys were such good QB's did every team pass on them also there were a lot of teams who needed QB's and they still passed on them. so i guess the whole NFL is stupid and we the fans and worse yet the asinine media know better yea OK!

Everything said in that clip is true. Buffalo did virtually nothing this off season in comparison to the rest of the already powerful AFC East.

However, keeping Perry wouldn't have helped. So I'm not sure why you're hung up on that.

I think Doogie Hauser is right.

If we're lucky add 2010 + 2011 victory totals >/= 9. That's only with a full schedule in 2011. This team is in total rebuild with the franchise QB slated to come from the 2011 draft. The guys running the team know that we'll be horrible in 2010, just like Donahoe & Gregg knew in 2001. They're looking at the rebuild over a 2-3 year draft cycle, not 1 year.

April was freed before Gailey ever got here. He was so PO'd that Fewell was named interim coach instead of him, he wanted no part of the 2010 Bills. Fewell was no mistake, I don't think most of us could have handled another year of that ridiculous Tampa defense here.

Just watched on NFL.com a video saying we didn't do enough this offseason after losing some good players and coaches. We all know this, but doesn't feel good to hear it.

go to the end of video

Whatever. The rest of the AFC East is in a different place than we are and time will tell how well we did or did not do. Buddy and Chan seem to think they can do more with the talent that people want to discard. And the TV boys lost all credibility saying we should have kept Fewell. Keep Perry? Really? The archetect of an undersized defense that couldn't stop the run or get off the field on third down? That's our guy? BS.

Besides, I'm sure the criticism posted below was "valid" in it's day. This is posted in another thread, here's what a Bean Town writer had to say about the Pats draft a few years back. How'd that work out?

"On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon."

I wished we would have kept Perry as DC instead of going to this 3-4 thing. Our D last year was #16 in the only stat that count, points given up. If they could have gotten some help from the O like in the Saints or the 2nd Patsies game for example, they would have looked a lot better.

We didn't do anything at QB, true which I don't like. But then again I think there is some truth in it at that maybe our QBs would be better with a sound offensive plan and more emphasis on our strength, running the football. Anyone ever heard of the theory, run to set up the pass? DJ and Alex Van Pelt never did.

But I do expect us to be competitive this year.

We'll see.

I don't agree that points against is a good stat to hang your hat on. A team with no offense can give up fewer points because if the other team is comfortably ahead, they will run the ball & the clock out, scoring fewer points. Still we were blown out in 5 of our 10 losses, with an average point differential of over 24 points in those 5 games. Fewell's Tampa D was futile.

If we're lucky add 2010 + 2011 victory totals >/= 9. That's only with a full schedule in 2011. This team is in total rebuild with the franchise QB slated to come from the 2011 draft. The guys running the team know that we'll be horrible in 2010, just like Donahoe & Gregg knew in 2001. They're looking at the rebuild over a 2-3 year draft cycle, not 1 year.

April was freed before Gailey ever got here. He was so PO'd that Fewell was named interim coach instead of him, he wanted no part of the 2010 Bills. Fewell was no mistake, I don't think most of us could have handled another year of that ridiculous Tampa defense here.

Amen.

I wanted to retain only three coaches from the last regime. April was the first one on the list, but I knew it was the beginning of the end for him in Buffalo when they named Fewell the HC.

The other two were, Catavolos, great teacher for the secondary and Bob Sanders, made Kelsay productive. Two out of three is good for me. And I'm happy that we're going to the 3-4.

Fewell is a great guy, but his defense was not a good fit for Buffalo. Hopefully he does well in his next job and a HC position opens for him.

This year wil be a lot of fun.

This board would've crashed, got repaired, and crashed a second time if Fewell had been hired as HC. I think HC was the only option once he was promoted mid-season. I too hate the Tampa 2, the way Fewell runs it anyway. It'll be interesting to see how he does for the Giants this season. He has more talent on the DL to work with, but they seem to be in the same boat if not weaker everywhere else. If we would've hired Frazier though we'd still be running a Tampa 2. I like the switch to the 3-4 and I think Edwards will be a good DC. He seemed to get the most out of average LB's while in Miami, outside of Porter and Taylor of course. Do I really think we'll be that good this year with all of the changes in the staff and the new systems being implimented? No, not really. Do I think we should've kept Fewell on top of the mess we already had around here? Heck no!!!!! This organization needed a cleansing, of sorts, and that is what we got.

It is our job as fans to be supportive. I hate negative Bills Fans YOU are the reason I can't go out and watch Bills game. YOU guys ruin it for me.

It is our job as fans to be supportive. I hate negative Bills Fans YOU are the reason I can't go out and watch Bills game. YOU guys ruin it for me.

Ralph--did you type this yourself, or did you have Brandon do it for you?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought I read that the Bills offered Donovan McNabb, the best QB prospect out there in terms of trades or free agency, a nice contract extension if he were to come to Buffalo via trade? And, didn't he turn 'em down? I think that the Bills are destined to get the same reaction to any good prospect 'til they see some kind of change in how the team is run and in how productive they are. So, they are going to have to build from the ground up via the draft and then start to develop a winning attitute. Yeah, but they didn't get a first round OT, you say? I honestly believe that the possibility of a first round OT disappeared w/ the Redskins' selection of Trent Williams fourth overall. So, the Bills decided to stay true to their board and get the best player available. They would also use high draft picks to stock a woefully understocked defensive front for the 3-4 and landed a talented nose tackle and a talented defensive end. No, it wasn't a franchise QB or a franchise LT, but they did address big needs early in the draft (really, there were more than two needs on this team and, contrary to some opinions, they were NOT a couple players away from contention). This is the beginning of a long term project to correct the misdoings of previous regimes.

Whatever. The rest of the AFC East is in a different place than we are and time will tell how well we did or did not do. Buddy and Chan seem to think they can do more with the talent that people want to discard. And the TV boys lost all credibility saying we should have kept Fewell. Keep Perry? Really? The archetect of an undersized defense that couldn't stop the run or get off the field on third down? That's our guy? BS.

Besides, I'm sure the criticism posted below was "valid" in it's day. This is posted in another thread, here's what a Bean Town writer had to say about the Pats draft a few years back. How'd that work out?

"On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon."

Great post! Seriously, fantastic job!

Part of the reason the Bills suck is because of their scrawny little defense whose best resources were spent on defensive backs and undersized linebackers. Jauron's Tampa-2 was proven to be a terrible system in Buffalo. Absolutely horrible. Fewell looked a little better than Jauron because a case could be made that Fewell was in fact alive. That's about it imo.

Please, give me a coach who is a disciple of Bill Walsh, Bear Bryant, Parcells, etc. NOT a disciple of Dick Jauron......a struggling defensive backs assistant. Fewell? Nice guy but I'm glad to see him go and Giant fans are in for a rude awakening imo. I suppose time will tell.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought I read that the Bills offered Donovan McNabb, the best QB prospect out there in terms of trades or free agency, a nice contract extension if he were to come to Buffalo via trade? And, didn't he turn 'em down? I think that the Bills are destined to get the same reaction to any good prospect 'til they see some kind of change in how the team is run and in how productive they are. So, they are going to have to build from the ground up via the draft and then start to develop a winning attitute. Yeah, but they didn't get a first round OT, you say? I honestly believe that the possibility of a first round OT disappeared w/ the Redskins' selection of Trent Williams fourth overall. So, the Bills decided to stay true to their board and get the best player available. They would also use high draft picks to stock a woefully understocked defensive front for the 3-4 and landed a talented nose tackle and a talented defensive end. No, it wasn't a franchise QB or a franchise LT, but they did address big needs early in the draft (really, there were more than two needs on this team and, contrary to some opinions, they were NOT a couple players away from contention). This is the beginning of a long term project to correct the misdoings of previous regimes.

Overall, I agree with this post. I do however have a question....would you have preferred the Bills to select Brandon Graham at #9 and a later round running back, or are you happier with Spiller.

And don't go getting all huffy; I'm just asking. :wallbash: