Wish we still had

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought I read that the Bills offered Donovan McNabb, the best QB prospect out there in terms of trades or free agency, a nice contract extension if he were to come to Buffalo via trade? And, didn't he turn 'em down? I think that the Bills are destined to get the same reaction to any good prospect 'til they see some kind of change in how the team is run and in how productive they are. So, they are going to have to build from the ground up via the draft and then start to develop a winning attitute. Yeah, but they didn't get a first round OT, you say? I honestly believe that the possibility of a first round OT disappeared w/ the Redskins' selection of Trent Williams fourth overall. So, the Bills decided to stay true to their board and get the best player available. They would also use high draft picks to stock a woefully understocked defensive front for the 3-4 and landed a talented nose tackle and a talented defensive end. No, it wasn't a franchise QB or a franchise LT, but they did address big needs early in the draft (really, there were more than two needs on this team and, contrary to some opinions, they were NOT a couple players away from contention). This is the beginning of a long term project to correct the misdoings of previous regimes.

TRYING to get Donovan McNabb doesn't do anything for this team. We didn't get him. the personnel we have aren't right for a 3-4 defense. Reminds me of Greggo coming in and going 4-3 resulting in Phil Hansen retiring early and what happened thereafter. I don't believe that the first round options dried up with Williams. Bulaga and Davis were there. Even if they weren't, there were (assuming you have to go 3-4) really high quality nose tackles available and the ability to trade down if we considered them a reach.

Is the team that goes on the field in September (based on what we have) BETTER than the team that took the field last September? Hell no. There is no "long term" project (five years? ten years?) in the NFL anymore. Three years is the most you get, and a full year of tear down doesn't even begin to cut it.

As to Fewell and April, I suppose the Giants and Eagles are bottom feeders of the league based on their coaching choices?

It is our job as fans to be supportive. I hate negative Bills Fans YOU are the reason I can't go out and watch Bills game. YOU guys ruin it for me.

Why on earth are you watching me and my ilk when you go to a game instead of what's going on on the field? If the Bills were playing well you wouldn't give a poop what other fans said.

I've followed and supported the bills through good times and bad since 1960. I just don't have blinders on when they are bad. Until the Bills put me on the payroll I don't think its my "job" to support them. In fact since I pay for a ticket, I think it is their "job" to put a quality football team on the field.

TRYING to get Donovan McNabb doesn't do anything for this team. We didn't get him.

Which is why the Bills need to build their team via the draft, begin to do well in the win column, and the McNabbs of the world will take notice and give Buffalo a shot in free agency. Hopefully by then, they'll develop a good enough team that they won't need to sign high priced free agents. That philosophy works for the Stillers, mainly 'cause of how well they continue to draft and develop players.

the personnel we have aren't right for a 3-4 defense. Reminds me of Greggo coming in and going 4-3 resulting in Phil Hansen retiring early and what happened thereafter.

The Bills used their 2nd round pick on a very good 3-4 NT prospect, and their 3rd on arguably the best 3-4 DE prospect in the draft (outside of converted DT Jared Odrick of PENN STATE). That, plus the signings of Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis in free agency show that the organization realizes they needed players who fit the scheme, and they went out and got 'em.

I don't believe that the first round options dried up with Williams. Bulaga and Davis were there. Even if they weren't, there were (assuming you have to go 3-4) really high quality nose tackles available and the ability to trade down if we considered them a reach.

Just a guess on my part, but the Bills could've looked @ Bulaga as a RT and didn't want to pay 'em LT money. They also may have decided that Davis wasn't worthy of the 9th overall pick and wasn't a good fit @ LT either. As for a trade down, I profess to not being privy to the war room chatter, so I don't know which teams were offering the Bills what in terms of compensation for the 9th overall pick. I do agree that there were good choices for the 3-4 if they decided to draft that also. My choice would've been to stay there and draft Dan Williams of Tennessee, but that's my choice. The Bills didn't draft "my guy" but instead of bemoaning the fact, I'm okay w/ what they did for the 3-4 front and for getting a real playmaker in Spiller.

Is the team that goes on the field in September (based on what we have) BETTER than the team that took the field last September? Hell no. There is no "long term" project (five years? ten years?) in the NFL anymore. Three years is the most you get, and a full year of tear down doesn't even begin to cut it.

As to Fewell and April, I suppose the Giants and Eagles are bottom feeders of the league based on their coaching choices?

I am willing to see what this organization does w/ the players they bring in. If we see more of the same, then I'll be ready to rip into 'em too, as I too have been a long suffering fan. For me though, I'm going to wait to see what the results are so that I know if the Bills are heading in the right direction or if they're in "same as it ever was" mode.

Just watched on NFL.com a video saying we didn't do enough this offseason after losing some good players and coaches. We all know this, but doesn't feel good to hear it.

go to the end of video

Seriously? Why any Bills Fan would buy that complete garbage is beyond me? Did you watch The Bills these past few Years under Jauron/Fewell? We lost a bunch of good Coaches?... :wallbash:

I saw that crap spewed from La Canfora on NFL Network...Let Me tell you something about Jason La Canfora...He knows just a little more about NFL Football, and how to build a winning Team, than My Girlfriend who knows absolutely nothing about NFL Football...He's a pudgy Moron with unlimited text...That's all there is to it...Any idiot that I hear talk about the Bills Coaching losses being a negative immediately gets zero, and I mean NO credibility whatsoever...Jason La Canfora does not know enough about Football to understand what The Bills are doing and why they are doing it...He's not an expert on anything...He's a double-douchebag... :devil:

Just watched on NFL.com a video saying we didn't do enough this offseason after losing some good players and coaches. We all know this, but doesn't feel good to hear it.

go to the end of video

Remind me who brought in the Tampa 2 defense.

nuf said.

Let me reiterate

Has a Perry Fewell defense ever stopped Tom Brady?

And the TV boys lost all credibility saying we should have kept Fewell. Keep Perry? Really? The archetect of an undersized defense that couldn't stop the run or get off the field on third down? That's our guy? BS.

This. I don't think I could stand seeing our DB's 15 yards off the line of scrimmage for one more game. Perry is a better motivator than Jauron, but let's see how the Giants do before annointing Perry some sort of defensive guru.

Remind me who brought in the Tampa 2 defense.

nuf said.

Let me reiterate

Has a Perry Fewell defense ever stopped Tom Brady?

Not when it counted...That's for certain...

But knowing those type of facts would take a little bit of research and common sense...2 things La Canfora want's nothing of...Understanding why the majority of Bills Fans wanted a House Clearing after the 08 Season, a year before it happened, takes a bit of knowledge on exactly why the Coaching failed here under Jauron/Fewell so often...It would take a little homework...La Canfora looks like the type who would pay someone else to do his homework...He wouldn't know Buddy Nix from Stevie Nicks...Calling him a douche is an insult to all hard working douche's out there...Douche's have a purpose...La Canfora's only purpose is running up text bills...Unless looking like a dork on TV is a purpose...If so he's got that going for him... :w00t:

Everything said in that clip is true. Buffalo did virtually nothing this off season in comparison to the rest of the already powerful AFC East.

However, keeping Perry wouldn't have helped. So I'm not sure why you're hung up on that.

What did the Pats do this offseason? The Fins added a scumbag receiver who has never been part of a player off team and pouted like a child during camp. They added a LB who has never been part of an elite defense his entire career and got completely overpaid. The Jets added a receiver who will miss the first 4 games, a fading rb who is a huge downgrade from Thomas Jones, and an idiot, scumbag corner who is a kitty cat and afraid to tackle.

Obviously, ESPN loves the other AFC East moves. They're flashy, let's stare at them. But in the game of football, flashy moves don't mean squat. I'm not the Bilsl will win the division but anointing teams' because of their offseason is silly.

why the majority of Bills Fans wanted a House Clearing after the 08 Season

Since when does a "good" team care what the fans think. (yes, it also applies to a bad team too)

Once a team adjusts their players to suit the fans "needs” Stick a fork in them.

As to the rankings - How can a credible sports writer put the Bills at 29th?

The Raiders are higher than Buffalo - probably because they now have Jason Campbell. And the Deakskins. 4th pick in the draft has a higher raking than Buffalo?

It's embarrassing.

Since when does a "good" team care what the fans think. (yes, it also applies to a bad team too)

Once a team adjusts their players to suit the fans "needs” Stick a fork in them.

As to the rankings - How can a credible sports writer put the Bills at 29th?

The Raiders are higher than Buffalo - probably because they now have Jason Campbell. And the Deakskins. 4th pick in the draft has a higher raking than Buffalo?

It's embarrassing.

So in this case you think the majority of Bills Fans were wrong in wanting Jauron/Fewell gone?

Just saying...

I was trying to make the point that it would not be hard for La Canfora to find plenty of evidence that Jauron and Fewell sucked for a while...Because they did in fact suck...

We'll see how much higher the Raiders and Redskins are at this time next year...Time will tell...I know what happened in the past...The Bills Coaching sucked...No one, especially that pudgy smug little punk Jason La Canfora, knows what is going to happen in the future...:w00t:

the 4-3 sucks. I am very happy that is gone.

The 4-3 doesn't suck, the undersized Tampa 2 4-3 sucks! The Bills could have probably saved themselves an extra year of rebuilding by sticking with the 4-3 and replacing a couple of players instead of switching to the 3-4 and then turning 3 of your DE's into OLB'ers(ask GB how that worked out with Kampman), creating a position(NT) which you had absolutely no players on the roster to fill that spot, along with the DE position which at the time the switch was announced, you had one former DT moved to DE.

So by switching to the 3-4, you created holes at both OLB, NT and DE, not to mention depth at these positions.

The 4-3 doesn't suck, the undersized Tampa 2 4-3 sucks! The Bills could have probably saved themselves an extra year of rebuilding by sticking with the 4-3 and replacing a couple of players instead of switching to the 3-4 and then turning 3 of your DE's into OLB'ers(ask GB how that worked out with Kampman), creating a position(NT) which you had absolutely no players on the roster to fill that spot, along with the DE position which at the time the switch was announced, you had one former DT moved to DE.

So by switching to the 3-4, you created holes at both OLB, NT and DE, not to mention depth at these positions.

You may be right Labatt...But they also had 2 DE's, a 1st and a 3rd Round Pick, that were more suited to OLB in a 3-4...So we'll see how it all turns out... :w00t:

I wished we would have kept Perry as DC instead of going to this 3-4 thing. Our D last year was #16 in the only stat that count, points given up. If they could have gotten some help from the O like in the Saints or the 2nd Patsies game for example, they would have looked a lot better.

We didn't do anything at QB, true which I don't like. But then again I think there is some truth in it at that maybe our QBs would be better with a sound offensive plan and more emphasis on our strength, running the football. Anyone ever heard of the theory, run to set up the pass? DJ and Alex Van Pelt never did.

But I do expect us to be competitive this year.

We'll see.

I agree; the Bills run game just didn't work when they needed it the most. If Chan can cook up a reliable running game then the passing game WILL improve no matter who's at QB.

Mind you, the defense we ran last year had GAPING HOLES at DE, DT, and OLB.

So really, it's kind of just a problem of having really bad players.

Now we have bad players playing different positions, *fingers crossed*!

Everything said in that clip is true. Buffalo did virtually nothing this off season in comparison to the rest of the already powerful AFC East.

However, keeping Perry wouldn't have helped. So I'm not sure why you're hung up on that.

Please itemize all the glorious moves made by our AFCE opponents...

i loved it when perry played our defensive backs 20 yards off of the Dallas WRs that one Monday night game, giving dallas a few yards to get close enough to try the 57 yarder. sigh.