Drill, baby, DRILL!

People love to poke fun at environmentalists, and there's no question the left-wing crazies give the whole movement a bad image, but I hope people realize when you demand that we drill oil off our shores what is happening in the Gulf of Mexico is always a real possibility. Stuff happens. Mistakes occur. The loss of lives is bad enough but the environmental clusterf**k is just getting started. Politicians say stuff like this and people eat it up, but no one ever takes a second to think about the possible outcomes.

PTR

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People love to poke fun at environmentalists, and there's no question the left-wing crazies give the whole movement a bad image, but I hope people realize when you demand that we drill oil off our shores what is happening in the Gulf of Mexico is always a real possibility. Stuff happens. Mistakes occur. The loss of lives is bad enough but the environmental clusterf**k is just getting started. Politicians say stuff like this and people eat it up, but no one ever takes a second to think about the possible outcomes.

PTR

Clearly you don't understand anything about the environmental issues surrounding offshore drilling. More oil is released into the ocean annually through normal offshore drilling operations than will be released in this one freak accident.

PTR

Planes crash, should we stop flying?

PTR

Natural undersea oil seeps put out a lot more than this one accident.

Planes crash, should we stop flying?

But there is an economic cost to this environmental problem w/r/t the Gulf fisheries. Don't kid yourself...this is going to be bad. Not to regular people, of course. Just to Fat Cats who eat lots of shrimp cocktails while they're rolling around in their big piles of money.

And while I'm sure offshore oil rig accidents have left uncapped wells before...I've never heard of it. So it can't be all that common.

It's rather unfortunate that this happened, and will it be the last time? No. We just need to explore ALL energy sources and look to expand on them, and also look to improve the safety in the already existing traditional energy sources.

PTR

Thats for proving once again how out of touch with reality liberals are.

Thats for proving once again how out of touch with reality liberals are.

You're right. I'm completely out of touch with whatever alternate universe you occupy. Please explain how what I posted is so off base, and be sure to use small words and type slow.

PTR

You're right. I'm completely out of touch with whatever alternate universe you occupy. Please explain how what I posted is so off base, and be sure to use small words and type slow so I can understand it.

PTR

I added that last bit because I think that's what you were getting at right? :rolleyes:

It's only 210,000 gallons per day. No sense crying over a little spilt oil.

At first it was "less than a thousand gallons". Then somehow it became "less than a thousand barrels". Then that became "42000 gallons"...which THEN became "42000 barrels". And now it's "210000 gallons".

I can't help suspecting that the amount of oil being reported released keeps increasing because people keep confusing gallons with barrels, then converting barrels to gallons...

And this is why I don't understand why we're pushing for drilling here and not ANWR. It just seems a spill in the ocean causes so much more damage than on land or am I wrong here?

The primary environmental concern for drilling on the land (ANWR, for ex), isn't so much with spills. I believe it has more to do with all the contruction, roads, and habitat destruction that occurs when you move in and clear way for a any facility along with all support crews and equipment.

In one respect an environmental "disaster" in ANWR wouldn't have near the impact on our economy or livliehood. I guess you could say, it just comes down to do we care about preserving the planet and wildlife - in general. So, to some extent, its more of a idealogical debate.

What's on the verge of happening in LA has the potential to be completely devastating. The estuaries of the Mississippi Delta are the primary breeding sites for numerous animals we eat (that make their way into every grocery store and restaurant in the country) as well as the animals that many more anmals eat. That is, estuaries are at the base of the oceans food chain. You destroy it, and the effects are long ranging and highly impactful. So, you have far more considerations, IMO, than just the general ideaology of destroying the planet.

Now, none of that is to say drilling is good or bad either way. It is what it is. If we as a society want to drive cars, turn on lights in our house, watch American Idol, and have 99% of the "luxuries" we currently have in our daily lives; we have to drill. If we drill, there's going to be disruption to the environment. It is what it is. If you don't want the world turning into a parking lot, stop building shopping malls.