Drill, baby, DRILL!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't talking worldwide, The Valdez was the one of biggest in US history in terms of gallons spilled but was considered

the worst in the world in terms of damage to the environment.,,,,,, until this week

Actually, the environmentally worst world-wide would have been Saddam's petro-eco-terrorism (really no other name for it) in Gulf War I, Act I; both torching the Kuwaiti wells and opening the pipeline from that pumping station into the gulf.

And our Fearless Leader should be at the head of the line don't you think.

Since he proposed it off of the Virginia coast, Yes he should. But as of today he's baned new offshore drilling in the gulf.

President Barack Obama on Friday directed that no new offshore oil drilling leases be issued unless rigs have new safeguards to prevent a repeat of the explosion that unleashed the massive spill threatening the Gulf Coast with major environmental damage.

Imagine that. Puting safeguards in place... WOW.

Since he proposed it off of the Virginia coast, Yes he should. But as of today he's baned new offshore drilling in the gulf.

President Barack Obama on Friday directed that no new offshore oil drilling leases be issued unless rigs have new safeguards to prevent a repeat of the explosion that unleashed the massive spill threatening the Gulf Coast with major environmental damage.

Imagine that. A blanket demand for safeguards against something, when no one even knows what to safeguard against.

Facile political blather.

Imagine that. A blanket demand for safeguards against something, when no one even knows what to safeguard against.

Facile political blather.

Well it gives him an out on the allowing of drilling speech he gave. This way he pleases both sides. You can drill, but not now.

The Deepwater Horizon oil rig that exploded last week was not outfitted with a safety device that might have prevented the massive oil spill now nearing the U.S. Gulf Coast. The device, known as an acoustic switch, is a last-resort protection against underwater spills, and is required by regulators in Norway and Brazil. Unfortunately, the U.S. has no such regulation for oil wells operating off of its shores.

According to a report in The Wall Street Journal, an acoustic switch is a remote control device that a crew can use in an attempt to trigger an underwater valve that shuts down a well that’s damaged. The switch is meant as a last resort, as the primary shut-off systems almost always work on wells when they are out of control. It can be triggered from a lifeboat if an oil platform has to be evacuated.

Not sure of the source, but link.

So had there not been this disaster he wouldn't care about safeguards?

Not sure of the source, but link.

The problem is that it's not just a hole in the ground spewing oil all over the place; there's a mile-long pipe sticking out of the sea floor that's bent, crumpled, and leaking in at least two places.

Unless you have a shutoff valve right at the sea bed (possible, but I can't see how it would be technically feasable), you're not going to shut off the leak with any safety system, acoustic triggered or otherwise.

So you are saying we shouldn't drill for oil?

I as much as I would like to see us move forward with drilling off the coast, this is an eye opener. Granted this type of disaster doesn't happen often, but when it does... wow.

All in all, I'm torn.

I as much as I would like to see us move forward with drilling off the coast, this is an eye opener. Granted this type of disaster doesn't happen often, but when it does... wow.

All in all, I'm torn.

I'm still solidly in the "don't drill" category...but still for reasons that have nothing to do with this spill.

I'm still solidly in the "don't drill" category...but still for reasons that have nothing to do with this spill.

I am also solidly in the "don't drill" category...not for any environmental concerns at all really...though the environmental backlash makes it more ridiculous to go ahead with it...

I think we use high tech energy sources...green crap they have...why? because we will reap all the benefits economically...at least a lions share better than what the middle east would get...and that is the reason we need to get off oil...and inspire other nations to do the same...not so much for environmental reasons, but for prosperity reasons

I am also solidly in the "don't drill" category...not for any environmental concerns at all really...though the environmental backlash makes it more ridiculous to go ahead with it...

I think we use high tech energy sources...green crap they have...why? because we will reap all the benefits economically...at least a lions share better than what the middle east would get...and that is the reason we need to get off oil...and inspire other nations to do the same...not so much for environmental reasons, but for prosperity reasons

Awesome, then your 20 year plan, that doesn't factor in inflation risks, will go kaput even quicker.

Guess what? Without more drilling, Oil and gasoline prices will go even higher. So will heating costs, and so will just about anything you buy from a store. What about food? we have to transport that, and guess what farmers use to tend to their land, yup, you got it, diesel.

So, if you don't mind higher prices for just about everything, then fine, but you better adjust your "plan", because this will surely eat into any possible gains you could of possibly had.

"Get off oil" :thumbsup:

No offense, but you truly are a dumbass.

Awesome, then your 20 year plan, that doesn't factor in inflation risks, will go kaput even quicker.

Guess what? Without more drilling, Oil and gasoline prices will go even higher. So will heating costs, and so will just about anything you buy from a store. What about food? we have to transport that, and guess what farmers use to tend to their land, yup, you got it, diesel.

So, if you don't mind higher prices for just about everything, then fine, but you better adjust your "plan", because this will surely eat into any possible gains you could of possibly had.

"Get off oil" :thumbsup:

No offense, but you truly are a dumbass.

Yeah and with minor upgrades to a home...you can actually save 20% on energy costs...even in the NE solar power can reduce your costs by 40%...and with the tax rebates on green power technology it would only cost 15,000 out of pocket for a complete update...not to mention the simple little fact that Diesel engines...AS THEY ARE NOW...EVEN THE OLD ONES...can run on biodiesel...wowzers...but you already knew that didn't you Magox?

Yeah and with minor upgrades to a home...you can actually save 20% on energy costs...even in the NE solar power can reduce your costs by 40%...and with the tax rebates on green power technology it would only cost 15,000 out of pocket for a complete update...not to mention the simple little fact that Diesel engines...AS THEY ARE NOW...EVEN THE OLD ONES...can run on biodiesel...wowzers...but you already knew that didn't you Magox?

Who's homes, the one's that you plan on purchasing or just people in general?

If you gave your position even a half-second's real thought, you'd support drilling to get the country over that transition period.

But then, by your own profession you're not concerned with pesky things like "details", so why would you give it a half-second's thought to begin with?

If you gave your position even a half-second's real thought, you'd support drilling to get the country over that transition period.

But then, by your own profession you're not concerned with pesky things like "details", so why would you give it a half-second's thought to begin with?

Not really...