This team can go 8-8 this year...if not better.

DarthICE

First off I don't do drugs, and it is way too early for me to be drinking so YES I am serious and here is why.

1. Coaching is better. ANYONE is an improvement over Jauron, VanPelt etal.

2. The talent has improved. No way in hell do we suck this year as badly as we did against the run. The 3-4 should bring more pressure allowing our good DB corp to make more turnovers.

This OL produced the 16th rated running game in the NFL last year as well as a 1000 yard rusher. Spiller has 10x the talent our other RB's do, plus I don't see us having as many OL injuries this year. We will be improved.

3. We lost 6 games by a total of like 20 points.

I feel this team is going to do better than most people think!

I like the optimism, Darth. I'm with you! I'm sick of all the Jets Kool-Aid that's being consumed on this board. The Pats aren't what they were. The fish don't have any better talent than us. Go Bills!

First off I don't do drugs, and it is way too early for me to be drinking so YES I am serious and here is why.

2. The talent has improved. No way in hell do we suck this year as badly as we did against the run. The 3-4 should bring more pressure allowing our good DB corp to make more turnovers.

This OL produced the 16th rated running game in the NFL last year as well as a 1000 yard rusher. Spiller has 10x the talent our other RB's do, plus I don't see us having as many OL injuries this year. We will be improved.

FINALLY, rational thinking. #3 will be huge. Our luck in the past 4 years was terrible. A ball bounce in a different direction or a yard or 2 here or there or players playing smart football (unlike the NE opener or Losman's fumble in NY) and we win more games.

I believe we will be in playoff contention but ultimately miss. 2011 is a different story- assuming that there is a '11 season.

Nice to see some optimism here becuase I'm tired of all the bitching.

Gailey wants to runt he ball and stop the run--finally someone who gets it. Bills should have enough talent now for the 3-4, tho another playmaker at LB would be helpful. Beefing up the front 7 will make one of the best secondaries in the NFL better.

You are spot on about the O. The team will depend on an improved running game, which will help whoever is the QB. No more getting away with 7 men in the box. Personally I think Gailey and his philosophy could be just what Edwards needs.

Finally, another thing I like about the switch to the 3-4 is that you have more LBs to play on special teams.

Not expecting miracles next year, but I agree, the improvements could definitely move the team to 8-8, which would be damn good for the toughest division in football.

Here's what is hard for me to get an assessment on:

Last year, during the preseason we FIRED our OC because our head coach wanted a "simplified" offense. A week before the season opener we cut our starting LT. That type of chaos and a simplified offense crippled our ability to score points.

How hard do you think it was for opposing defenses to diagnose our plays and personnel schemes. Hell they probably knew what we were going to run before we did.

There's no way we can't be improved is there?

Be careful what you ask for. New England just had a huge draft with 4 picks in the first two rounds and 5 in the first 90 players chosen. Next year NE will have 4 picks in the first two rounds of the 2011 draft. Champion teams are built through the draft and the Bills will need two great drafts to match the talent in our own division. The Bills will need to out draft the AFC east to make the playoffs. I think the only chance the Bills will have this decade is to finish in the bottom 5 for two consecutive years. Jerry Sullivan has it right, they have to bottom out to get better. The number of wins in the next couple of years is far less important than the elevation of the talent base of this team. Winning 7 or 8 games just might doom them to mediocrity for a decade.

Who in the division outclassed the Bills last year? Nobody!! So I agree, the Bills are basically on par with the division. Sanchez hardly scares me as a QB. Trent Edwards/R Fitz had better numbers than Sanchez last year for comparison purposes. This is hardly the division of the Pats from 3 yrs ago when they were undefeated and you knew they were leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. The Pats defense is average, same with Dolphins and Dolphins offense is wild cat driven. People on this board are ridiculous making these other teams out to be the '85 Bears when the Bills beat the Jets and Dolphin last year.....actually convincingly beat the "great" dolphins team.

The NFL is very close in terms of talent...the Bills are VERY close to being a playoff team but still a very good QB away from being a SB team.

I'm with you for the most part.

Sadly, the one critical area of the football team that I feel we needed the biggest help with was on the offensive line. I like the picks, I like the free agent RT we signed from Oakland. I hope Chambers does not make the final cut. But I still see the offensive line as in need of some established help.

Perhaps 1 key free agent signing on the offensive line will make me as optimistic as anyone could be.

I completely agree - On Any Given Sunday. To your points:

1. I fully expect to see this team come out with a new attitude. "Football is a tough game for tough people." - no more soft Jauron teams or slow start to the season.

2. If the D players we got in the draft can at least contribute, not even start full time, we should be better. Let's hope that Byrd continues to pick apples this year! I have total faith in Gailey's O, at least you KNOW we'll be running the heck out of the ball. The line and passing game are still a worry, but hopefully Chan can find ways to protect and keep teams on their toes with the run...

3. Again, attitude - I think we'll play tough football for 60 full minutes.

I would also add that I like that we have our entire division in the first four weeks of the season. It might give us a chance to sneak up on the them a bit. Let's hope that Chan follows through on making the Ralph a tough place to play again - tough football, crazed fans! I'll be there to make it scary for the fins, game 1!!

Go Bills!

i love how people say the pats are not good as they used to be....this makes me laugh why you........cause they still kick our asses evevry year. while im not drinkin the jets koolaid but let me tell ya that koolaid looks pretty sweet. at least the jets take chances on building a winnng franchise. whats buffalo done for the team to even be able compete in the division yeah nothing........

i know what koolaid the bills give their fans and its called **** flavored.........

i love how people say the pats are not good as they used to be....this makes me laugh why you........cause they still kick our asses evevry year. while im not drinkin the jets koolaid but let me tell ya that koolaid looks pretty sweet. at least the jets take chances on building a winnng franchise. whats buffalo done for the team to even be able compete in the division yeah nothing........

i know what koolaid the bills give their fans and its called **** flavored.........

The Pats beat us last year by a combined 11 points. One of those loses was handed to them on a platter and should have been a win. That's hardly "kicking our asses".

I'm not saying they're not a better team but the delta may not be as great as it seems.

Aren't you the guy that was beating the QB drum?

We will not get to where we want to be (perinial playoff contenders and a threat for the Superbowl) until the QB position is fixed once and for all. Now that doesn't mean we can't be a .500 team though.

The Pats beat us last year by a combined 11 points. One of those loses was handed to them on a platter and should have been a win. That's hardly "kicking our asses".

I'm not saying they're not a better team but the delta may not be as great as it seems.

Exactly mike, a 1 point game at their place is hardly an asskicking.

If we can turn the 2-4 in the division into 4-2 (which isn't impossible) then we've got a fighting chance at 8-8 / 9-7.

We're basically fielding the same offense that somehow managed 6 wins last year (5 maybe I guess) but it'll be improved in the coaching alone. This D should be able to stop the run AND the pass this year which should translate into a couple of more wins.

nobody in the division outclassed us last year and I'm not ready to annoint the Jets the SB champs like seemingly every sportswriter on the continent. We should have beat the patsies twice last year.

I'm actually really looking forward to this season, its gonna be the first step in the right direction that we've taken in a long time. By 2011 this team will be ready to make some noise.

1. I agree 100%. Although we should probably wait to see if Gailey can coach before we say that he's good, it's hard to imagine worse game management than Jauron.

2. I would call it break even at best. They add Spiller and some strong role players, but lose Owens and probably Schobel. If they are going to improve, they need LAST years draft picks to step up a notch, especially Maybin.

3. They lost some close games, but also won some that they shouldn't have like against Carolina and Indianapolis. I'd say that their record was a pretty accurate indication of how good they were.

I think all this adds up to the same old thing as last season... between 5 and 7 wins.

I love the optimism. I will not second guess. I am very intrigued about the development of a solid running game. We are heavy in the running back department. I can hardly wait for the season to begin.

<_<

Be careful what you ask for. New England just had a huge draft with 4 picks in the first two rounds and 5 in the first 90 players chosen. Next year NE will have 4 picks in the first two rounds of the 2011 draft. Champion teams are built through the draft and the Bills will need two great drafts to match the talent in our own division. The Bills will need to out draft the AFC east to make the playoffs. I think the only chance the Bills will have this decade is to finish in the bottom 5 for two consecutive years. Jerry Sullivan has it right, they have to bottom out to get better. The number of wins in the next couple of years is far less important than the elevation of the talent base of this team. Winning 7 or 8 games just might doom them to mediocrity for a decade.

The Pats dynasty may well be over. Pioli's gone, and for as good an Xs and Os guy as Bellichick is, He's had some questionable personnel moves.

Add to that, Wes Welker may not be back in full form, and Randy Moss, while still dominant, is getting a little long in the tooth and rumor has it he's disgruntled.

Their defense doesn't impress me either. They're still a quality team, and yes they did make some key aquisitions, but their strenghth is still their O, and with the kind of defense we look to be putting on the field, Brady might get flashbacks of the SB against NY.

I like your optimism, but it is crossing into dreaming. If this team goes 8-8 or better, that only says the rest of the league already went on strike, and nobody told the Bills they were leaving. You are looking at a team who will win probably 5 games, if they are lucky. You can't say for sure the coaching is an improvement, Jauron had a better NFL resume coming into Buffalo than Gailey does. You don't know the talent is improved, and it has decreased at some positions, notably WR. If we do cut down on the OL injuries, and it would be bizarre to expect that many again, it should be better in that area, but then again, you can't get any worse on the OL than we were last year. Better common sense from professional players (McFumble/Parrish) and we might have won 8 games last year, but we were fortunate to play the Colts in game 16 or they would have blown us out if the needed the game.

You forgot that most of the Team was on IR last year. Buddy thinks we are not far off, I believe him.

If we had scored a TD against the Browns we win. thanks Trent...

If we didn't fumble in NE we might have won.

If we could have scored against NO that game was winnable.

The Jacksonville game was winnable as well. Needed more points.

New England's draft over the past 5 years have not been that good. They got lucky and drafted Brady and put together a very good DL. Brady makes the OL very good.

How were there picks last year? We have had more productive players the past two years from our drafts than the Pats. The major talent problem with the Bills is at the QB position and other than getting McNabb which they tried to do it was not going to change in the draft.

I share some of your optimism. I'm hoping for a very competitive 'one year away' type performance. Here's why:

1. I do agree the coaching will be better, particularly on the offense. Gailey has done it at the NFL level and we haven't had someone like that in almost a decade.

2. Gailey has some weapons - Evans, Spiller, Nelson, a couple of RBs, and Parrish - that can be exploited better than in the past. Edwards HAS to play better than last year overall. Remember, he has a good start and then it fell apart. In fact, the entire offense fell apart.

3. The OL is a year older, stronger, and wiser. It can't possibly have as many injuries again or as much inexperience. A new game plan can minimize the protection problems (again, I am counting on Gailey and his experience exceeding Van Pelt, but I feel that's a safe bet). I think that's one of the reasons they got Spiller. And if the Tight Ends improve (both were young with upside last year) that will help Edwards. Remember, Edwards was pretty good with Schouman (spelling?) in the line-up. Obviously, he likes to checkdown but he needs quality to checkdown to. Spiller and the TEs might provide the quality

4. The defense is stouter and stronger. Right now we are projecting a starting line-up without Kelsey, Schobel, or Johnson (DL). Those guys are still on the team (assuming Schobel comes back) so depth will be better.

5. Maybin has talent. Maybe he doesn't have a position in the NFL but if he does it's likely OLB. If it is and he blossoms up to his talent, we just filled another need with a #1 round draft choice.

6. It is a last place schedule against the NFC North. Yes, the AFC West and the NFC West are worst but the NFC North is not that much better.

I share some of your optimism. I'm hoping for a very competitive 'one year away' type performance. Here's why:

1. I do agree the coaching will be better, particularly on the offense. Gailey has done it at the NFL level and we haven't had someone like that in almost a decade.

2. Gailey has some weapons - Evans, Spiller, Nelson, a couple of RBs, and Parrish - that can be exploited better than in the past. Edwards HAS to play better than last year overall. Remember, he has a good start and then it fell apart. In fact, the entire offense fell apart.

3. The OL is a year older, stronger, and wiser. It can't possibly have as many injuries again or as much inexperience. A new game plan can minimize the protection problems (again, I am counting on Gailey and his experience exceeding Van Pelt, but I feel that's a safe bet). I think that's one of the reasons they got Spiller. And if the Tight Ends improve (both were young with upside last year) that will help Edwards. Remember, Edwards was pretty good with Schouman (spelling?) in the line-up. Obviously, he likes to checkdown but he needs quality to checkdown to. Spiller and the TEs might provide the quality

4. The defense is stouter and stronger. Right now we are projecting a starting line-up without Kelsey, Schobel, or Johnson (DL). Those guys are still on the team (assuming Schobel comes back) so depth will be better.

5. Maybin has talent. Maybe he doesn't have a position in the NFL but if he does it's likely OLB. If it is and he blossoms up to his talent, we just filled another need with a #1 round draft choice.

6. It is a last place schedule against the NFC North. Yes, the AFC West and the NFC West are worst but the NFC North is not that much better.

:unsure:

Don't forget the 7. Injuries. There is no way (knock on Eric Wood) that this year can be like last, and as our injuries regress to the mean we are a healthier team.

Minuses:

1) New schemes on both sides of the ball will take a little getting used to, but hopefully that doesn't hold us back too much.

2) TO and Schobel could take two of our more talented players off the roster, otherwise we lose nobody we will miss.

3) Bobby April. Hopefully his philosophy sticks, but losing him AND having a huge turn over of the coaching staff who might otherwise carry the torch would lead me to believe our special teams are likely to suffer somewhat.

I'm on the 8-8 kool aid diet. This is not the year we win it all, we all know that. What would be nice is to feel some excitement and progress right away, and as the season winds down calculating playoff scenarios instead of draft scenarios even if we come up short. The later in the season we play meaningful games instead of just playing out the season the better.

The Franchise is finally headed in the right direction, but this team has 4 to 5 wins written all over it.

I know I'm always a bit on the optimistic side, but I can't understand the people who are predicting

a worse season than last year (1-5 wins).

Why we could be worse:

New offense

New defense

loses: TO, Butler, Reed, maybe Schobel

Why we could be better:

New Offense

New Defense

New coaching staff

Non first time OC

Less injuries

Injured players coming back

Another draft and a few new FAs with no significant loses (unless you consider TO and maybe Schobel)

Our younger players have another year under their belt

Our OC won't be fired just before the season

Our offense won't be hampered by a conservative Defensive head coach

Our LT won't be let go a week before the season

The team got bigger and stronger on D

Tougher attitude across the organization

I'm not going to even guess whether this was a good draft or not (who after last year thought we

would be praising Jarius Byrd as one of our best players now). But seriously, where did we get worse

from last year?

QBs: didn't get a big name prospect or FA but the guys we have are the same as last year, so we didn't

downgrade either and I'm pretty sure Gailey will get more out of them than Jauron and Van Pelt

RBs: Sure we didn't need to improve this area but either way Spiller has upgraded this position

OL: Ok, we did lose Butler and we need to see if Wood can come back from injury...but the injuries last year

were just unreal (if we improve with that alone the line should be better), they will hopefully be in a better system,

the young guys will have more experience and now we have more depth...so we didn't get significantly better,

but again I don't think we got worse by any means...Besides Butler only played 1-1/2 games last year and

wasn't the answer at RT anyhow, he was more of a G. If Wood comes back, we definitely didn't get worse here.

TEs: Should be better as Schouman will be healthy and Nelson progresses

WRs: Ok this is one spot that until proven otherwise I will give the sceptics saying we are worse (but I am intriqued

to see what Johnson and now Easley can do--not so sure about Hardy)

DL: We will definitely be bigger here, Kelsey won't be on the end...Schobel is a loss, but Edwards was a great pickup

and Stroud will be healthy again...hopefully the rookie DT can come in and produce

LB: We were starting a safety at LB by the end of the season and we were already small at that position. We brought

in Davis, Poz will be back, Mitchell will be healthy, we have the DEs converting (Kelsey, Maybin, Ellis, maybe Schobel),

and our draft picks from last year and this year...if nothing else, we are bigger and have more options than the last few years

DB/S: We are fine here and should be as good or better (more experienced and improved front 7)

I'm not saying we are a contender or even a playoff team this year, but how, seriously how could we

be worse than last year...every position should be the same or improved except for maybe WR...and

that isn't even taking into account that the offensive coaching/playcalling should be vastly improved.

I'm not annointing Gailey as a genius, but there is no way he isn't an improvement over a first time

caller in Van Pelt who was hampered by a conservative HC. What are the guys predicting 2-5 wins

seeing that I am not...I don't think I'm just drinking the Kool-Aid.

While I DO agree with most of what you say, that 3rd point is slightly misleading, as Jauron's philosophy of playing "not-to-lose" did keep many games artificially close. It just wasn't good enough to actually win.

If the Bills play hard, play smart and don't lose games they are winning because of stupid blunders, I will be a happier camper. I'm not expecting a playoff berth, but I am hopeful that they will not embarrass themselves this season as they have so many times in the past several years.

They should be a more disciplined, better coached and better executing team.

2-14. Just because it's a new coaching staff doesn't make it a good one. Time will tell. Changing offense and defense without the players to do it. All of the draft picks other than Spiller will take time to develop. Not one will step in and contribute much this year. The biggest thing is still no QB, the three coming back can't get the job done and they have nobody to throw to other than Evans and now Spiller. 20 checkdowns a game to Spiller. O-line still needs time to develop. I do not see where they are better on the D-Line or LB than they were last year. Totally unproven players and aging veterans being asked to play a new system. That takes time. Schedule is brutal and then some. Have alot of young inexperienced guys and some older not so good veterans. I don't see where the depth has improved this year. Rebuilding takes 2-3 years sometimes more, not one offseason where quite honestly, they have not done all that much to improve for 2010. I think they will get worse before they get better. 8-8 would be a disappointment actually. I would like to see them have the top pick in 2011.

This team will be much better but I don't know if it will result in more wins as our division has appreciated in term of talent/experience; the schedule, on paper, looks harder as well. If drafting Spiller can improve our abysmal 3rd down conversion rate ( dead last in the league ) then we will be in way more games.

This should help out the D as they won't be on the field for the entire game. Upgrades on the D line should result in better field postion as well. Last year was one of the worst for injuries in league history, that can't happen again. We are going in the right direction. Likely 6-10 maybe 7-9. Hey that isn't too bad, I think last years 6-10 was one of the worst 6-10 teams I have ever seen.