Bills make selection in less than 3 minutes!

K-No

No one RW has hired at GM has had any savvy when it counts more on draft day since...Polian/Butler.

These guys can't think laterally, and you end up with a team without a vision.

And what about the 14 other teams that have made their picks in the first few minutes as well...i guess they don't have "savvy" GMs either.

Just admit that you were excited to B word and whine like a 14 yr old girl about anything and everything the Bills were going to do tonight.

I think they turned in their card so fast so they did not have to bother with the phone calls from other teams. They fall in love with themselves and their draft board too much if you ask me.

Agreed. I thought it was fairly telling when Nix was asked about trading down and said:

“It would be a consideration for sure,” Nix said of trading down from pick nine. ”Now the only thing about that is you’ve got to have a partner to move down. Somebody has got to want to trade. The second thing is when you see the spot you’re going to move to you have to know who you think you’re going to be able to get at that point. Just having an extra pick or two extra picks, if you don’t get somebody that can help you, there’s no reason to move."

As soon as I saw that quote, I thought it was very bizarre. If you trade down from 9 to somewhere in the 20s, which is about as big a drop-down as ever happens, then you're still drafting a guy in the 20s. How could there be no one available at #25 (or whatever) who can help you? You're not going to forfeit your 2nd or 3rd round picks, are you? Presumably there's more than 1 player per round that can help your team.

For all the talk of a new regime, I have yet to see any evidence that the Bills' fundamental draft mentality has changed. They still lock in on 1-2 guys (in this case, Spiller & Tebow), seemingly ignore all offers to trade down, have little to no understanding of positional value, and are big on trading back into the latter part of Round 1 after making an early pick, generally overpaying to do so.

It's no coincidence that the Bills are always picking at the top of the draft, and until things change in a major way (and no, drafting a "PLAYMAKER" isn't a major change), they will continue to draft in the top 11 or 12 every year.

The combined love for Spiller & Tebow just shows how devoid of any kind of coherent plan the Bills are. Trying to add both an instant-impact, short shelf-life RB and a massive project QB to a 6-10 team is schizophrenic. Either go for all instant-impact, ready to play guys and try to get to mediocrity or barely scrape into the playoffs (which I don't like, but at least it's internally consistent), or go for high-upside project types, knowing that you'll stink next year and be able to load up with additional high picks.

And to the pollyannas who constantly leap to the Bills' defense: you have no counter-argument. Not until the Bills start winning. And a 4-0 or 5-1 start doesn't count as winning. Once the Bills win 10 games (in one season) or make the playoffs, then you have something to say. Until then, your fantasy opinions are just wishful thinking.

Seems like the Bills zero in a guy and have tunnelvision and dont let the draft come to them. Im just saying they could of at least listened to any possible offers, instead of sprinting up there to the podium.

Why do you want them to have more picks, so you have more of them to complain about?

And what about the 14 other teams that have made their picks in the first few minutes as well...i guess they don't have "savvy" GMs either.

Just admit that you were excited to B word and whine like a 14 yr old girl about anything and everything the Bills were going to do tonight.

Hey dude, it's 10 years without a team in the postseason. And you're always there backing this team up as if they're multiple SB winners. Riddle me this: What gives you hope after all these failures of the past decade? A RB with 4.3 speed?

And when you've answered that, tell me why Bills fans can't be pessimistic? The stadium lease runs out after 2012, the team can't attract name NFL people, and the owner is 91 years old. Do you really think this team has enough time to rebuild?

What's not to love Mr. Optimism?

We must be really sold on this guy....

I like it. He'll add some long missed excitement. :unsure:

I have to agree. If this is YOUR guy, he is your guy because he represents the best value you can get with that pick. Any prospective deal could offer you more value. Give the other teams the full 10 minutes to see if someone gets desperate and makes a mistake and offers you too much. Then pick Spiller with one minute left. I don't know why giving the other teams 8 more minutes to make a desperate mistake and then picking Spiller isn't a better idea.

I actually really like the pick, and the way some of the other guys fell makes me feel that my lower impression of these guys might have been warranted (Bulaga, I'm talking about you). Let's see how these guys do tomorrow and if they can make some tactical decisions and not just talent decisions.

why when it was clear the Chargers wanted to trade up for a back

Nix said he was the guy they wanted and I have no problem with that

exactly -- if they didnt have a back rated on the same level, you take him. if you have 3-4 close keep trading back til you cant anymore. this is how the pats made a living. yes they do trade back, but when they know they next pick is a big drop they will run to the mic also.

I have to agree. If this is YOUR guy, he is your guy because he represents the best value you can get with that pick. Any prospective deal could offer you more value. Give the other teams the full 10 minutes to see if someone gets desperate and makes a mistake and offers you too much. Then pick Spiller with one minute left. I don't know why giving the other teams 8 more minutes to make a desperate mistake and then picking Spiller isn't a better idea.

I actually really like the pick, and the way some of the other guys fell makes me feel that my lower impression of these guys might have been warranted (Bulaga, I'm talking about you). Let's see how these guys do tomorrow and if they can make some tactical decisions and not just talent decisions.

if they thought spiller represented a top 2-3 player in the draft, they werent going to get that value via draft no matter what. take it as an opportunity to send a message to both spiller and lynch. sometimes there is more value in acting decisively then there is waiting for something thats not real.

I think what this all boils down to is how Spiller is going to be used......

I can envision Chan Gailey using this kid A LOT keep in mind that Chan views him as a RB/WR hybrid........

I think Lynch is gone......this team therefore needs a runner (you cant ask Fred Jackson to carry the whole load) and a reciever (We have Lee Evans, an unknown at TE, and 2 young wide receivers

Spiller is the kind of back you have to game plan for........I have no problem with this pick

I will throw this out there as well......every player you would rather have at 9 (or trade down for that matter...EVERY ONE) every one of them has a ? mark in their game....

Bulaga? People saying not a Left Tackle

Anthony Davis? Character issues?

Dan WIlliams? Not a pass rush threat

McClain - gone to the raiders

Okung - gone

Trent Williams - gone

Jimmy Clausen - Still on the board at this point

But look at Spiller.....no character issues, equally superemely talented at both running and pass catching, explosive special teamer, ACADEMIC ALL AMERICAN

What is not to like about this pick.....a couple other things:

- This team needs a left tackle.....they have RT's they drafted for guards last year they have a veteran center

- We have EIGHT MORE PICKS and the Marshawn Lynch chip to play with

I love the first pick

I think what this all boils down to is how Spiller is going to be used......

I can envision Chan Gailey using this kid A LOT keep in mind that Chan views him as a RB/WR hybrid........

I think Lynch is gone......this team therefore needs a runner (you cant ask Fred Jackson to carry the whole load) and a reciever (We have Lee Evans, an unknown at TE, and 2 young wide receivers

Spiller is the kind of back you have to game plan for........I have no problem with this pick

I will throw this out there as well......every player you would rather have at 9 (or trade down for that matter...EVERY ONE) every one of them has a ? mark in their game....

Bulaga? People saying not a Left Tackle

Anthony Davis? Character issues?

Dan WIlliams? Not a pass rush threat

McClain - gone to the raiders

Okung - gone

Trent Williams - gone

Jimmy Clausen - Still on the board at this point

But look at Spiller.....no character issues, equally superemely talented at both running and pass catching, explosive special teamer, ACADEMIC ALL AMERICAN

What is not to like about this pick.....a couple other things:

- This team needs a left tackle.....they have RT's they drafted for guards last year they have a veteran center

- We have EIGHT MORE PICKS and the Marshawn Lynch chip to play with

I love the first pick

That is a very good point. I don't see a pressing need for an OL because of all the OL we have signed/drafted over the last 2-3 years. Don't forget 4 out of the 5 OL we started Week 1 last year hadn't played an NFL down at OL. This is a young line that with time could become good enough.

That being said, the Bills probably will take a OT at 41 and will most likely wait for a Pike or LeFeavour in Round 3 or trade back into the 2nd round to get a NT.

The Bills have the oppurtunity to be big players tonight if they play their cards right.

^^^^This people are complaining that we only took 3 min. So if we took 9.5 min to make the pick and still drafted Spiller, How is that any different.

Is this guy turns out to be the next Thomas/Sanders.....Are we still complaining.

FYI, Nix first pick with SD a guy named LT (Decent RB) First pick with Bills Spiller .... <_<

Last year Washington made their pick in under 1 min if i do recall....Lets all complain about them too.