Official NBA Playoffs thread.....

Special K

I know you didn't ask me, but, the Suns will not win a championship...they would get destroyed by either the Magic or Celtics.

I also happen to think, although the Magic may be a better team than the Celtics, depth wise, a healthy Celtics team would stand a better chance of beating the Lakers in the finals, than would the Magic. I hate the Magic, at this moment (sorry, tonights game has me seething, normally I like Orlando), but I would root like hell for them to beat the Lakers...I just don't see it happening. The Suns are not versatile enough, IMO, to challenge anybody. They are giving the Lakers a tough time at the moment, but the Lakers will prevail.

No argument that the Suns probably can't win this thing, but what makes you think both Boston and Orlando would destroy them? They will likely bow out to the Lakers in 6, but they've given them a decent fight. So unless you think both Boston and Orlando are far superior to LA (doubtful), why couldn't Phoenix at least hang with them?

If anything, LA is setup to dominate them the best of the three.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to explain, or is that just based on "history"?

Many knowledgeable fans think the Magic and Suns are 2 of the most exciting teams to watch in the NBA.

I'd love to hear your comparisons to these two different possibilities in regards to the finals.

Tradition, & based on what I grew up watching... ask ABC who they want in the Finals. :angry:

No respect for the Suns, seething hatred for Grant Hill and the rest of those Duke clowns from his team... and Steve Nash as 2x MVP was a complete joke. Magic are just meh to me ever since Shaq & Penny days.

All just my take & nothing else... I want Celtics-Lakers dammit!

No argument that the Suns probably can't win this thing, but what makes you think both Boston and Orlando would destroy them? They will likely bow out to the Lakers in 6, but they've given them a decent fight. So unless you think both Boston and Orlando are far superior to LA (doubtful), why couldn't Phoenix at least hang with them?

If anything, LA is setup to dominate them the best of the three.

I think the Suns can win it. They probably have the best bench left, are a much better defensive team, and Steve Nash seems like he is on a mission. I really like them.

Tradition, & based on what I grew up watching... ask ABC who they want in the Finals. :angry:

No respect for the Suns, seething hatred for Grant Hill and the rest of those Duke clowns from his team... and Steve Nash as 2x MVP was a complete joke. Magic are just meh to me ever since Shaq & Penny days.

All just my take & nothing else... I want Celtics-Lakers dammit!

Wow...just goes to show you how brainwashed you are by the ABC/NBA marketing machine. The MVP should ALWAYS be the player that not only plays great and is invaluable to his team but also the type of player who makes everyone around him better. Take him off those Suns teams and they're a basement dweller. He was far more deserving of those awards than Shaq was.

Celtics-Lakers...SNOOZE. So sick of seeing Kobe and his pouty face in the NBA Finals. The NBA as a whole is getting tired and predictable to the point that the regular season is irrelevant. The league needs some new teams in the Finals to keep the sport fresh.

Plus...seeing ANOTHER Boston team blow a 3-0 lead in the same year would be EPIC.

... and Steve Nash as 2x MVP was a complete joke.

Please...

Wow...just goes to show you how brainwashed you are by the ABC/NBA marketing machine. The MVP should ALWAYS be the player that not only plays great and is invaluable to his team but also the type of player who makes everyone around him better. Take him off those Suns teams and they're a basement dweller. He was far more deserving of those awards than Shaq was.

I don't know about "far more deserving", but Nash doesn't need to feel a shred of doubt over that MVP. Both he and Shaq did great things for their teams, but there had to be a winner. And I think they got it right.

Nash improved the Suns from 29-53 to 62-20 in his 1st year (+33 wins). In the seven games he didn't play, they went 2-5. Shaq took a 42-40 team to 59-23 (+17) wins, but in the nine games he missed, the Heat went 6-3. It's arguable whether or not he was even the best player on his own team.

[i think actually Dirk got shafted that year and should have gotten more credit. He held that Dallas team together (actually won 6 more games) after essentially trading Nash, Jamison and Walker for Terry, Stackhouse and Dampier.]

For awhile it could be argued that maybe Nash was a product of D'Antoni's system, but that has clearly turned out to be false. The guy's a champ and he deserves his hardware.

I know you didn't ask me, but, the Suns will not win a championship...they would get destroyed by either the Magic or Celtics.

I also happen to think, although the Magic may be a better team than the Celtics, depth wise, a healthy Celtics team would stand a better chance of beating the Lakers in the finals, than would the Magic. I hate the Magic, at this moment (sorry, tonights game has me seething, normally I like Orlando), but I would root like hell for them to beat the Lakers...I just don't see it happening. The Suns are not versatile enough, IMO, to challenge anybody. They are giving the Lakers a tough time at the moment, but the Lakers will prevail.

I wasn't dis-crediting a Lakers/Celtics series at all.

Rico said a Suns/Magic series would be "zzzzzzzz...". That's just not the case.

In regards to Perkins, I agree that both T's should have been rescinded.

I also feel that the elbow to Davis By Howard was completely unintenional and in no way do I agree with Howard being a wheasel. He gets angry and retaliates from time to time, but all of the great "big men" including Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem, etc. are and/or were guilty of it. That's what happens when you get banged on all game long game after game. It gets to you. Let's also remember, as someone else accidently pointed out, Howard IS still a kid. He's only 24.

I wasn't dis-crediting a Lakers/Celtics series at all.

Rico said a Suns/Magic series would be "zzzzzzzz...". That's just not the case.

In regards to Perkins, I agree that both T's should have been rescinded.

I also feel that the elbow to Davis By Howard was completely unintenional and in no way do I agree with Howard being a wheasel. He gets angry and retaliates from time to time, but all of the great "big men" including Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem, etc. are and/or were guilty of it. That's what happens when you get banged on all game long game after game. It gets to you. Let's also remember, as someone else accidently pointed out, Howard IS still a kid. He's only 24.

No...Howard is a weasel. Yesterday, he took Pierce down, hard with "incidental contact" by almost getting him in a reverse headlock. He used the same move on Davis in game 4. He threw one of his sharp elbows at Garnetts head in game 4, and KG got a technical. Howard has perfected throwing his elbows out, and making it look incidental. I don't think he necessarily he hit Davis on purpose, but he is getting away with a lot. At least when Garnett throws an elbow, he doesn't try to hide it...hence the weasel tag.

As far as getting "banged up"...I agree, he takes a lot of contact, but he initiates most of it...Perkins is not a real physical player, yet anytime Howard makes a move, it is a foul on Perkins...it is BS. Perkins can't play his game. Perk may not be a superstar, as Special K pointed out, but he can be a very good defensive player...when allowed to be. The refs have simply taken him out of the last two games. It is BS.

btw- I don't hate the Magic...I am just pissed at the way this series has turned...

No...Howard is a weasel. Yesterday, he took Pierce down, hard with "incidental contact" by almost getting him in a reverse headlock. He used the same move on Davis in game 4. He threw one of his sharp elbows at Garnetts head in game 4, and KG got a technical. Howard has perfected throwing his elbows out, and making it look incidental. I don't think he necessarily he hit Davis on purpose, but he is getting away with a lot. At least when Garnett throws an elbow, he doesn't try to hide it...hence the weasel tag.

As far as getting "banged up"...I agree, he takes a lot of contact, but he initiates most of it...Perkins is not a real physical player, yet anytime Howard makes a move, it is a foul on Perkins...it is BS. Perkins can't play his game. Perk may not be a superstar, as Special K pointed out, but he can be a very good defensive player...when allowed to be. The refs have simply taken him out of the last two games. It is BS.

btw- I don't hate the Magic...I am just pissed at the way this series has turned...

Well, Pierce had his way with JJ by throwing him to the floor as well. I think the Playoffs can bring that out in anybody who's competitively driven.

I'll agree with you on Howard perfecting his "elbow approach", but I'm of the opinion that's how Centers play, the good ones anyway. The rule of thumb is it's only a foul if they call it. If Howard gains an advantage by playing that way, it's his job to do so. I'm fairly certain Howard isn't out there intentionally trying to hurt anyone, but it's physical in the paint. Always has been ,always will be.

It's actually kind of funny to here this only because most Magic fans have been begging for a meaner, nastier Howard. The knock on him, aside from his free throw shooting, has always been his care-free approach to the game which some say causes him to be soft.

I can only recall that last foul called on Perkins that lead to his second T, and in that case I agree the initial foul called on him was in fact BS. The worst part of the NBA is the officiating. It's awful in regards to consistency and star players tend to get the calls. I don't see that trend stopping anytime soon.

I've told you before I'm not a big Perkins fan, but I'm glad he gets to play. He deserves to be out there.

Well, Pierce had his way with JJ by throwing him to the floor as well. I think the Playoffs can bring that out in anybody who's competitively driven.

I'll agree with you on Howard perfecting his "elbow approach", but I'm of the opinion that's how Centers play, the good ones anyway. The rule of thumb is it's only a foul if they call it. If Howard gains an advantage by playing that way, it's his job to do so. I'm fairly certain Howard isn't out there intentionally trying to hurt anyone, but it's physical in the paint. Always has been ,always will be.

It's actually kind of funny to here this only because most Magic fans have been begging for a meaner, nastier Howard. The knock on him, aside from his free throw shooting, has always been his care-free approach to the game which some say causes him to be soft.

I can only recall that last foul called on Perkins that lead to his second T, and in that case I agree the initial foul called on him was in fact BS. The worst part of the NBA is the officiating. It's awful in regards to consistency and star players tend to get the calls. I don't see that trend stopping anytime soon.

I've told you before I'm not a big Perkins fan, but I'm glad he gets to play. He deserves to be out there.

I guess that is what I mean...Pierce wasn't trying to pretend it was incidental...he was pissed/frustrated and pushed JJ to the ground (though JJ played it up a bit, ala Pierce)... I think Howard is shooting some dirty pool, and the refs are letting it slide...oh well...I know all about the superstar calls/non-calls...it's just frustrating to watch it when it is so blatant. I don't even mean to go off on Howard, your point is well taken, he is doing what he has to do, to win games. I respect that...I have never been blown away by his play for the most part...I always thought his superstar status was a bit fabricated. But, he has been very effective the last two games...I can't take that away from him. I think the game Friday night could get ugly...

I guess that is what I mean...Pierce wasn't trying to pretend it was incidental...he was pissed/frustrated and pushed JJ to the ground (though JJ played it up a bit, ala Pierce)... I think Howard is shooting some dirty pool, and the refs are letting it slide...oh well...I know all about the superstar calls/non-calls...it's just frustrating to watch it when it is so blatant. I don't even mean to go off on Howard, your point is well taken, he is doing what he has to do, to win games. I respect that...I have never been blown away by his play for the most part...I always thought his superstar status was a bit fabricated. But, he has been very effective the last two games...I can't take that away from him. I think the game Friday night could get ugly...

Got ya.

I hope it doesn't get ugly, for the integrity of the game's sake. But, when you play like Howard has the last 2 games, guys are bound to get sick of it and start retaliating. I could see Garnett getting pissed and saying something, which would probably lead Barnes to interject. Although I must admit, Garnett did a wonderful job not taking the bait the last game. I have been impressed even more with Garnett this series. He remains one of my all-time favorite players. I love his passion and enthusiasm.

And ya, JJ definitely slid further than he had to on that play. But what do you expect, he doesn't get much time on the court. He's got to get his TV time in when he can!

Enjoy the game tonight!! :thumbsup:

Got ya.

I hope it doesn't get ugly, for the integrity of the game's sake. But, when you play like Howard has the last 2 games, guys are bound to get sick of it and start retaliating. I could see Garnett getting pissed and saying something, which would probably lead Barnes to interject. Although I must admit, Garnett did a wonderful job not taking the bait the last game. I have been impressed even more with Garnett this series. He remains one of my all-time favorite players. I love his passion and enthusiasm.

And ya, JJ definitely slid further than he had to on that play. But what do you expect, he doesn't get much time on the court. He's got to get his TV time in when he can!

Enjoy the game tonight!! :thumbsup:

If I am not mistaken, Garnett is one t away from another 1 game suspension...he has to be careful...

Great game, one of the best of the playoffs. I had my finger on the remote to turn it off it probably 4-5 times when LA built those huge leads. But Phoenix charged back each time. I liked LA's strategy of making Nash be a scorer not a distributor. Would have been great to see it go 5 more minutes.

And Ron Ron was definitely approaching crazy-mode.

"Say Queen's Bridge!"

:thumbsup:

Great game, one of the best of the playoffs. I had my finger on the remote to turn it off it probably 4-5 times when LA built those huge leads. But Phoenix charged back each time. I liked LA's strategy of making Nash be a scorer not a distributor. Would have been great to see it go 5 more minutes.

And Ron Ron was definitely approaching crazy-mode.

"Say Queen's Bridge!"

:pirate:

I agreed with the philosphy of making Nash the scorer as well....the only problem is he KEPT SCORING...:lol:

By the way......this is not the first time the lakeshow has done this in this playoffs...for for that matter in prior years championship years.......Kobe basically carried the team but someone else stepped up in the end to get them over the hump.....but it was close.....Waaaay too close.

We need to really work on our bench next year....Im just not impressed with any of our bench guards and Fisher only shows up for playoff time.......

Congrats to the Magic...they really had me scared going into this game...they are scary good sometimes.

In the post-game press conferences, Paul Pierce pointed out something that I hadn't really heard before...Boston was the only team in the playoffs with the same returning starting 5. Granted, Nate Robinson, a bench guy, was a huge factor tonight, but, there is something to be said for consistency (when it works).

Congrats to the Magic...they really had me scared going into this game...they are scary good sometimes.

In the post-game press conferences, Paul Pierce pointed out something that I hadn't really heard before...Boston was the only team in the playoffs with the same returning starting 5. Granted, Nate Robinson, a bench guy, was a huge factor tonight, but, there is something to be said for consistency (when it works).

Congrats on a big win...way to suck it up and win a must-win game at home...

I can't say that I have a lot of respect for too many of the players on the Celtics(with the exception of Ray Allen), but I wish you luck(from one Bills fan to another) in the Finals.

I've lost a lot of respect for KG in the last year and a half... and I've lost all respect for Paul "actress" Pierce through his actions in this series.

The Magic cooked themselves in Game 1 and 2 of this series, but I give them props(excluding Vince Carter) for making a series out of it.

All I can say is go Suns, so I actually can have a reason to watch the Finals.