Official NBA Playoffs thread.....

Special K

He's probably happy knowing he'll be in NYC next year. I doubt he'll achieve much with the Knicks. So far James has come up small in the playoffs. I'm not a Kobe fan but at least he comes though when needed.

PTR

I think he's gone, but not to the Knicks.

Chicago is the most likely destination, followed by the Nets(ties to Jay-Z, Russian Billionaire owner, move to Brooklyn), followed by the Heat(pair him with D-Wade and Pat Riley comes down to coach), and staying with Cleveland are all options ahead of the Knicks, IMO.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's gone, but not to the Knicks.

Chicago is the most likely destination, followed by the Nets(ties to Jay-Z, Russian Billionaire owner, move to Brooklyn), followed by the Heat(pair him with D-Wade and Pat Riley comes down to coach), and staying with Cleveland are all options ahead of the Knicks, IMO.

That was a surreal ending. You had the a-hole Boston fans chanting "New York Knicks" when LeBron was starting to try to mount one last comeback. I am a Celtics fan, but I hate this kind of boorish behavior... but even stranger to me, and maybe this happens all the time, I just never noticed, but as LeBron left the court, he was high-fiving the Boston fans, throwing his head band into the stands, and then he pealed off his jersey...if the Cavs were at home, I might have understood it more, but it just seemed like LeBron was making a very theatrical presentation of taking off his Cavs jersey, for the last time? I hope he stays in Cleveland...I really do feel the pain of those fans. They deserve better.

As for the game...what can I say. I love this Celtics team. I don't know how far they go from here, but I am sure they are not going to slip away quietly in the night. This team loves to win, and they have a killer instinct that I would kill for the Bills or Sabres to have. I literally got chills down my spine a few times tonight, watching the game. About 3 minutes left in the third quarter, and I was absolutely positive they were not going to lose this game. Just a feeling, even though the Cavs were kind of half-heartedly hanging on. This Celtics team, which had given up so many 20-25 point leads the second half of the season, just clamps down defensively. Just as Mark Jackson was chiding the media for picking on Lebron James so much the last 48 hours, suggesting that they better have similar comments for Paul Pierces' disappearing act, Pierce drains his (and the teams) first three pointer in the game...then antoher...then kicks out a pass to a wide open Rasheed Wallace for another...he was great the second half. Garnett looked as good tonight as he has in two years... Rondo did it all (including stinking it up at the foul line, unfortunately)...and Ray Allen seems to have made letting him go after the season, not as obvious a decision as it seemed a few months ago. Tony Allen was the guy off the bench tonight who helped the team hold it all together, and overcome the foul problems.

I gain more respect for Doc Rivers all the time. I think he is a tough match-up against Stan Van in the ECF, but the guy can really focus this team, when they start to play out of control. It helps having disciplined guys like Garnett and Rondo...

I am looking to one hell of a series against the Magic...

Geez, the Celtics knock out the Cavs easily in the second round. Who could have predicted that?

P.S. Read the whole post for an insight into next season and beyond. Yawn.

I was waiting for you to chime in...so, the Lakers beat the Magic, or Celtics this year? Please, please, please tell me its' the Celtics!

I was waiting for you to chime in...so, the Lakers beat the Magic, or Celtics this year? Please, please, please tell me its' the Celtics!

Re- read the thread from last year. It tells you exactly what will happen. It includes Cleveland's whimpering exit in round 2, tells what will happen in the Finals and gets into the Finals in 10-11 and 11-12. You may not recall what I said but re-read it. Every bit of it is happening before your eyes and you still seem to be a septic.

It starts here.

And gets into a lot more detail here.

On the second link follow along through the rest of the thread. It goes into quite a lot including answering specific questions from you. When you re-read it, you'll see that 15 months after my original set of predictions, everything is STILL winding its way down the path of David. I have re-read it and feel I was harsh about your interaction with your girlfriend. I'm sorry about that. Perhaps you'll discover that your arguments were futile on the basketball stuff all along and wish to apologize for your criticism of me.

I have a few developing theories about next year's flukish result, but it is still early.

I also have some thoughts on Lebron, which I will post in a new thread because they are not playoff related.

Damn....that got a little too close for comfort down the stretch...this is kind of what I thought (was hoping) might happen...the Celtics steal the first game, on the road, against a rusty Magic team. I am very happy...the Celtics are tough to beat when they smell blood...once they realize they have an edge, they just put their foot on the pedal. I expect the Magic to be much crisper, on Tuesday. They were one step behind all day...JJ kept the Magic alive...but Ray Allen kept them dead!

Damn....that got a little too close for comfort down the stretch...this is kind of what I thought (was hoping) might happen...the Celtics steal the first game, on the road, against a rusty Magic team. I am very happy...the Celtics are tough to beat when they smell blood...once they realize they have an edge, they just put their foot on the pedal. I expect the Magic to be much crisper, on Tuesday. They were one step behind all day...JJ kept the Magic alive...but Ray Allen kept them dead!

At this point you still think this whole thing is legit? For real?

At what point do you think you'll understand? I gave you last year's match up and winner in the exact number of games, this year's Finals matchup and the story line for next year. I told about the impending fake injury in 09. And more and more and more.

Don't get me wrong, I find it amusing that you still "root". It's charming in a Navy Bills fan/Hulk Hogan sort of way, but geez.

At what point do you think you'll understand? I gave you last year's match up and winner in the exact number of games, this year's Finals matchup and the story line for next year. I told about the impending fake injury in 09. And more and more and more.

Don't get me wrong, I find it amusing that you still "root". It's charming in a Navy Bills fan/Hulk Hogan sort of way, but geez.

Crayonz...normally, I don't read your posts, because, honestly, they are so full of garbage, and I get tired of your "another one is lured in" shtick. I know, you have picked a bunch of series, correctly, in the NBA, over the last two seasons. Good for you...however, it isn't really that hard to do. What advantage is it to the NBA, or any sports league, to have the same teams win, year after year? I don't discount the NBA ref cheating scandal, and I don't discount that there are some strange calls, now and again. But, it really isn't as out of control as many who never watch the games, would believe. What advantage is it to the NBA to have, arguably its' biggest star (LeBron James), sitting home again, at the expense of a team (Boston) that is hated by almost as many as they are beloved?

There are only a very small number of teams, each season, who have any real shot of winning a championship. It is very much a player driven league, and some players are much better than others. Any team with Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwight Howard is going to be one of the final teams standing. I applaud your accuracy...it is great. Now, just please, just go away...you have proven nothing. You haven't made one prediction that wouldn't be easy to make...the Garnett injury might qualify, but I don't recall you predicting that this injury would linger over two seasons...if it was unusual for players to get injured, you might be onto something... LeBron will get his championship, as you predicted, because the team that employs him, will do what it takes, to ensure it. One a franchise commits the money that someone will have to pay James, they aren't likely to sit back and hope he wins...they will spend whatever it takes to make it happen. It really isn't that difficult.

"They're going to try to frustrate me and get into my head and play head games, and I have to do my best to maintain my focus," said Howard, whose 13 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks were discounted by his seven turnovers. "I got into a little wresting match with all their guys, and that's to their advantage. That takes me off my game."

I don't like putting too much stock in post-game quotes, but at what point is Dwight Howard going to get it? It's like he seems blindsided every time opposing teams play him this way.

He has been the most physically imposing big man in the league for 3+ years and yet he is too often neutralized because he has the mental toughness of an ostrich.

Why is he still letting physical play "take him off his game?" Stop getting drawn into double-techs! Stop shooting the officials agonizing looks when you get whistled for clearing someone out! Stop pouting and being useless for stretches at a time! Stop saying you are going to maintain your focus and just maintain your focus!

If I'm a Magic fan, of course I love the guy. But I also have deep, dark, creeping doubts that the light bulb may never go off. He's young, but he's played 500 games...50 playoff games. At some point he is either going to rise above this or it will define him.

"They're going to try to frustrate me and get into my head and play head games, and I have to do my best to maintain my focus," said Howard, whose 13 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks were discounted by his seven turnovers. "I got into a little wresting match with all their guys, and that's to their advantage. That takes me off my game."

I don't like putting too much stock in post-game quotes, but at what point is Dwight Howard going to get it? It's like he seems blindsided every time opposing teams play him this way.

He has been the most physically imposing big man in the league for 3+ years and yet he is too often neutralized because he has the mental toughness of an ostrich.

Why is he still letting physical play "take him off his game?" Stop getting drawn into double-techs! Stop shooting the officials agonizing looks when you get whistled for clearing someone out! Stop saying you are going to maintain your focus and just maintain your focus!

If I'm a Magic fan, of course I love the guy. But I also have deep, dark, creeping doubts that the light bulb may never go off. He's young, but he's played 500 games...50 playoff games. At some point he is either going to rise above this or it will define him.

That is it, in a nutshell. :doh:

Man Howard could not make a 5 ft shot the WHOLE game with single coverage. Don't you think Boston was counting on this?? Howard has to get a hook shot into his game, he would be unstoppable if he did.

Doc Rivers is a very good coach. He dared Howard to beat them and he couldn't. If it wasn't for Vince Carter the game would not have been close. Howard is the best defensive player in the league but damn when you get so many easy shots you got to make em.

Right now I think Boston wins this series in 6. If Ray Allen stays hot it might be quicker.

Man Howard could not make a 5 ft shot the WHOLE game with single coverage. Don't you think Boston was counting on this?? Howard has to get a hook shot into his game, he would be unstoppable if he did.

Doc Rivers is a very good coach. He dared Howard to beat them and he couldn't. If it wasn't for Vince Carter the game would not have been close. Howard is the best defensive player in the league but damn when you get so many easy shots you got to make em.

Right now I think Boston wins this series in 6. If Ray Allen stays hot it might be quicker.

Once the Celtics think they can beat a team, I think they are pretty dangerous.

Are you saying that you have inside info on what the story line is or that the story line is so clear that you can predict it?

Crayonz...normally, I don't read your posts, because, honestly, they are so full of garbage, and I get tired of your "another one is lured in" shtick. I know, you have picked a bunch of series, correctly, in the NBA, over the last two seasons. Good for you...however, it isn't really that hard to do. What advantage is it to the NBA, or any sports league, to have the same teams win, year after year? I don't discount the NBA ref cheating scandal, and I don't discount that there are some strange calls, now and again. But, it really isn't as out of control as many who never watch the games, would believe. What advantage is it to the NBA to have, arguably its' biggest star (LeBron James), sitting home again, at the expense of a team (Boston) that is hated by almost as many as they are beloved?

There are only a very small number of teams, each season, who have any real shot of winning a championship. It is very much a player driven league, and some players are much better than others. Any team with Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwight Howard is going to be one of the final teams standing. I applaud your accuracy...it is great. Now, just please, just go away...you have proven nothing. You haven't made one prediction that wouldn't be easy to make...the Garnett injury might qualify, but I don't recall you predicting that this injury would linger over two seasons...if it was unusual for players to get injured, you might be onto something... LeBron will get his championship, as you predicted, because the team that employs him, will do what it takes, to ensure it. One a franchise commits the money that someone will have to pay James, they aren't likely to sit back and hope he wins...they will spend whatever it takes to make it happen. It really isn't that difficult.

This is even sadder than I thought.

What pecentage of NBA fans, last Februrary would have predicted Lakers over Magic or Hawks in 5? I predicted the teams and length of the series.

I predicted a major "injury" would cost the Celts their shot. Why does it matter how long this "injury" "lingered"?

I predicted Cleveland being easily bounced in round 2 this year.

I predicted this year's Finals teams and length of series in February.....OF LAST YEAR.

If you think I could do that if the NBA was legit, you must think a lot of me. Not even the Googlebot could do that because there are too many variables.

If you take into account the league being fixed, then it all falls into place doesn't it?

When will enough be enough for you dudes? When this years Lakers/Celts Finals goes 7? When an unusual team with an emotional story wins next year? This one is still hard to predict but the morning line favorite might be the Nuggets.

Are you saying that you have inside info on what the story line is or that the story line is so clear that you can predict it?

The ladder. It is like Hulk Hogan beating Andre the Giant. It is only slightly more complicated.

It is all about building and finishing stories while at the same time maintaining the reputations of the storied franchises. The overall impact is to bilk the people for as much money as possible over the long haul. You need to suck money out of Cleveland and Charlotte, but also maintain the steady larger revenue stream from LA and Boston, etc.

Stern is a mster of maximizing this stuff. That is why in the regular season the home team gets all of the free throws in the game. That is local revenue maximization by giving the home crowd a good chance of seeing a winning game. In the mean time, when a game really matters, do you think Oklahoma City would be allowed to win? :thumbsup: If so, thanks for playing.

When you take the short term and long term strategies into account, the NBA is easy to figure out. Next year will be interesting because they will be in bewtween story lines as this years' concludes. After that, we are in for a few years of Lebron and then the final comeback story line for Kobe in about 2015 or so.