Official NBA Playoffs thread.....

Special K

Celtics in 7. Should be a great series. The best teams made it to the final.

Yes. Even though I'm not fond of the game today, I'm still a fan at the end. Will it be snowing in Boston at the end?

Drag it out a little more, eh? One game in a week? Christ!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Even though I'm not fond of the game today, I'm still a fan at the end. Will it be snowing in Boston at the end?

Celtics winning in 7 would mean that they beat the Lakers in LA for the series deciding game. Just don't see that happening. I do see it going the distance as well, though. Lakers in 7. #5 for KB24.

I don't know how you aren't a fan of the game right now. This has been the best playoffs in years with tons of great young players.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think the Lakers in 7. I hate teh 2-3-2 format and while the Celts can steal a game on the road, they have been very inconsistent at home.

I don't know how you aren't a fan of the game right now. This has been the best playoffs in years with tons of great young players.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think the Lakers in 7. I hate teh 2-3-2 format and while the Celts can steal a game on the road, they have been very inconsistent at home.

I agree with your overall point, the NBA has been great the last 5-8 years, but, this years playoffs haven't really been as compelling. Most of the series weren't all that competitive, and only 2 OT games the whole run. There is still a pretty big disparity between the good and bad teams. Personally, though I don't care for either team, I think the success of the Spurs and Pistons has helped to return the game to what it should be. Teams like the Celtics and Magic play team basketball...

Oh come on Buff its all part of the show......

Perkins is calling Phil Jackson a A@@hole

Pierce is predicting a Celtics win in 5 games

I can believe the Perkins thing (it's true)...but where/when did Pierce predict the Celtics in 5?

Anyways...I know, it is all show...I just love this rivalry. I feel like the Celtics have a real good chance of winning this thing, but I am in no way positive that they will. This Lakers team is, I think, superior to the 2008 team, while the Celtics are weaker in some areas than 2008 (Garnett is not the offensive factor he needs to be, at this point), but stronger in other areas (Rondo is a much better player than 2008, and a big factor). The Celtics have the same starters as 2008, but their bench is almost completely different.

One thing I do know, every time I have felt like the sky was falling for the Celtics, they have pleasantly surprised me. This team responds when the chips are down, as well as any team I can remember, in any sport.

What I worry about the most, other than game 6 against the Magic, the Celtics haven't gotten huge, unexpected, effotrts from their bench. Guys have had nice games, but they will need more. I do worry, too, if Perkins get suspended a game, it will be tough to beat a Lakers team that is on its' game. Either Garnett has to pick it up offensively (he is deferring shots a lot more often than he did in 2008), or Doc has to make sure that Ray Allen is a big part of the offensive attack.

I realize, Kobe Bryant is the best player in this series...but I think #'s 2, 3 and 4 might be wearing Cetlics jerseys!

Good luck, John! This is gonna be fun...I have kind of od'd on coverage...can't wait for the damn thing to start! <_<

Do yu guys think now that the two teams will be unleashed for a few games that emotions will run high? I can see tempers flaring in game one or two. I don't mean just the normal pushing and shoving although there wil certainly be some of that. I'm talking about an actual fight. Wallace vs Artest? Odom vs Perkins? My guess is Odom vs Wallace. I can see it happening. Both teams will try to be the alpha male.

I can believe the Perkins thing (it's true)...but where/when did Pierce predict the Celtics in 5?

Anyways...I know, it is all show...I just love this rivalry. I feel like the Celtics have a real good chance of winning this thing, but I am in no way positive that they will. This Lakers team is, I think, superior to the 2008 team, while the Celtics are weaker in some areas than 2008 (Garnett is not the offensive factor he needs to be, at this point), but stronger in other areas (Rondo is a much better player than 2008, and a big factor). The Celtics have the same starters as 2008, but their bench is almost completely different.

One thing I do know, every time I have felt like the sky was falling for the Celtics, they have pleasantly surprised me. This team responds when the chips are down, as well as any team I can remember, in any sport.

What I worry about the most, other than game 6 against the Magic, the Celtics haven't gotten huge, unexpected, effotrts from their bench. Guys have had nice games, but they will need more. I do worry, too, if Perkins get suspended a game, it will be tough to beat a Lakers team that is on its' game. Either Garnett has to pick it up offensively (he is deferring shots a lot more often than he did in 2008), or Doc has to make sure that Ray Allen is a big part of the offensive attack.

I realize, Kobe Bryant is the best player in this series...but I think #'s 2, 3 and 4 might be wearing Cetlics jerseys!

Good luck, John! This is gonna be fun...I have kind of od'd on coverage...can't wait for the damn thing to start! :)

I am waiting to see what lakers team shows up.......if Pau Gasol comes in and becomes what he can be which is the best power forward in the league......doesn't go into a shell when the Celtics start to bully and fights back......if Andrew Bynum gives us the shot blocking and inside presense he has shown that he can do......if Lamar Odom is the rebounding machine he has been in the past......if Ron Artest can slow down (he isn't going to stop) Paul Pierce then I think we have a good shot at this thing.

Oh.....and one thing that cant be left out is our bench.....when they show up and give us something we are really hard to beat but when they come in and make boneheaded mistakes and give away leads then we have trouble.......we NEED our bench to make a contribution in this series.

On refereeing....as I have said before the lakers hardly ever get the benefit of more free throws......all I ask for is that they be consistant on both ends of the floor.....if they are going to let them play physical....then let both teams play that way.....if they are going to call certain things......call them on both sides.

I am waiting to see what lakers team shows up.......if Pau Gasol comes in and becomes what he can be which is the best power forward in the league......doesn't go into a shell when the Celtics start to bully and fights back......if Andrew Bynum gives us the shot blocking and inside presense he has shown that he can do......if Lamar Odom is the rebounding machine he has been in the past......if Ron Artest can slow down (he isn't going to stop) Paul Pierce then I think we have a good shot at this thing.

Oh.....and one thing that cant be left out is our bench.....when they show up and give us something we are really hard to beat but when they come in and make boneheaded mistakes and give away leads then we have trouble.......we NEED our bench to make a contribution in this series.

On refereeing....as I have said before the lakers hardly ever get the benefit of more free throws......all I ask for is that they be consistant on both ends of the floor.....if they are going to let them play physical....then let both teams play that way.....if they are going to call certain things......call them on both sides.

Please don't bring up the refs. No one in the league gets more calls than Kobe. Fact is if you attack the basket, you will get more calls. If the Lakers play like a jump shooting team like they did against Phoenix, they won't get many calls.

Please don't bring up the refs. No one in the league gets more calls than Kobe. Fact is if you attack the basket, you will get more calls. If the Lakers play like a jump shooting team like they did against Phoenix, they won't get many calls.

Please go back and take a look at the the opening playoff series and Kevin Durant.....thank you for playing

I have a fellow lakers friend that actually loves to make video of games and point out just how many times Kobe Bryant is fouled during a game with no call.......I think its a little much myself but would be willing to send you the video

Congrats to the Lakers, they came out ready to play tonight...the Celtics, not so much. Too many foul issues early on, and poor shooting. Garnett was dreadful, offensively. Very disappointing effort. Lakers played like I expected (and continue to expect) the Celtics to play. Gasol was tremendous, as was Kobe, which I have come to expect.

The fact that Phil Jackson coached teams are 47-0 when they win the first game of a playoff series is pretty daunting, but I am not giving up. The Lakers deserved to win this game, no question. They outhustled the Celtics, killed the Celtics on the board...lots to correct for game 2...nothing some spit, masking tape, and Celtic pride can't fix...I hope.

All the lakers did was defend their home court....still a long way to go

Difference makers to me

- Kobe was Kobe....Pau did what he should do....and Bynum made his presence felt in the paint

- Ron Artest showed why we picked him up over Trever Ariza......Ron is just a brute

Things I was not happy about

- Lamar Odom was a bonehead tonight and didn't really show up to play

- Our bench still made mistakes

Difference makers to me

- Kobe was Kobe....Pau did what he should do....and Bynum made his presence felt in the paint

- Ron Artest showed why we picked him up over Trever Ariza......Ron is just a brute

Things I was not happy about

- Lamar Odom was a bonehead tonight and didn't really show up to play

- Our bench still made mistakes

Pretty ugly game, but the Lakers played with a ton more energy. Not a really fun game to watch but hopefully it will improve as the teams knock off some rust.

And the 2-3-2 format is the dumbest setup ever.

Do yu guys think now that the two teams will be unleashed for a few games that emotions will run high? I can see tempers flaring in game one or two. I don't mean just the normal pushing and shoving although there wil certainly be some of that. I'm talking about an actual fight. Wallace vs Artest? Odom vs Perkins? My guess is Odom vs Wallace. I can see it happening. Both teams will try to be the alpha male.

I'll give you a pass since you "conveniently" said games 1 OR 2, but if I don't see fists flying the next game, I call shennanigans on your future reading abilities... :rolleyes::death:

I agree with JVG & Mark Jackson that it's harder for the road team in the 2-3-2 format. If you lose the first 2 games you're pretty much done. Unless the refs give you a couple games circa Wade's Heat. Game 2 is huge.

I'll give you a pass since you "conveniently" said games 1 OR 2, but if I don't see fists flying the next game, I call shennanigans on your future reading abilities... :thumbsup::unsure:

Maybe. Maybinot.

A double tech about 12 seconds in may have actually calmed things down a bit in a weird sort of way.

I never said there would be a brawl, I simply said there is a better chance of one since this is all legit at this point. I'll stand by that. I certainly think a legit series like this is hard to predict. That said, I think game 1 has to make you think the Lakers are the better team.

If I had to predict the outcomes of the rest of the games based on the legitimacy/Stern's desires combo it would be:

2 - Lakers

3 - Celts

4 - Celts

5 - Lakers

6 - Celts

7 - Lakers

And yes I'm aware it is a 2-3-2.

Another thing I didn't see posted here was Ron Artest continues to amaze with his wacky behavior....

Paid for 2 courtside tickets ($9,000 A PIECE!) out of his own pocket and put them up for a contest at a local radio station.

He wanted a couple of fans that would never be able to afford it to be able to go.

I didnt see this posted. Doc Rivers hid 2600 dollars in LA, Check it out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont...?urn=nba,245661

Yeah, they mentioned that on the broadcast. Jeff Van Gundy had a great line...something like "If I am Brian Scalibrine (one of the Celtics bench guys, token whit guy) I am lingering around after the game, and grabbing that money!" :thumbdown: :thumbdown: