Official NBA Playoffs thread.....

Special K

Congrats on a big win...way to suck it up and win a must-win game at home...

I can't say that I have a lot of respect for too many of the players on the Celtics(with the exception of Ray Allen), but I wish you luck(from one Bills fan to another) in the Finals.

I've lost a lot of respect for KG in the last year and a half... and I've lost all respect for Paul "actress" Pierce through his actions in this series.

The Magic cooked themselves in Game 1 and 2 of this series, but I give them props(excluding Vince Carter) for making a series out of it.

All I can say is go Suns, so I actually can have a reason to watch the Finals.

Hey...I can appreciate that. I grew to hate Dwight Howard and Martin Gortot, just because they played the way you have to play to win, it appears, in the NBA, at the expense of my team. I know not many like the Celtics (I think I have to apologize at least once a day for liking them), but man, I love this team. I would kill for the Bills or Sabres to have the same competitive desire. Pierce has been the only shining light for C's fans, for most of the last 20 years, so it is hard for me to fathom hating him. Garnett is just so damn intimidating, I think, not only to his opponents, but his teammates too. The team has so much leadership. I really hope they bring Allen back...though it seems unlikely.

I know, Pierce likes attention, but man, the guy delivers when it matters most. Lost in all of the hype of his 31 points, and Nate Robinson's spark-plug performance, is the fact that Pierce pulled down 13 rebounds. That, to me, was a huge factor in this game.

I don't know if you watched any of the post-game press conferences...but all the Celtics were very complimentary of the Magic. Pierce and Doc Rivers mentioned that they had talked, early in the season, that the Magic were the team they would have to beat to make it back to the finals. Kind of slap at the Cavs, I think...I think they are pretty confident that they can beat the Lakers or Suns.

Anyways, I really don't want to sound condescending, but, the Magic really are a strong team...despite the fact that they got eliminated, I think they are going to get better from this experience. I think they learned, in games 4 and 5, how they need to play to get where they want.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey...I can appreciate that. I grew to hate Dwight Howard and Martin Gortot, just because they played the way you have to play to win, it appears, in the NBA, at the expense of my team. I know not many like the Celtics (I think I have to apologize at least once a day for liking them), but man, I love this team. I would kill for the Bills or Sabres to have the same competitive desire. Pierce has been the only shining light for C's fans, for most of the last 20 years, so it is hard for me to fathom hating him. Garnett is just so damn intimidating, I think, not only to his opponents, but his teammates too. The team has so much leadership. I really hope they bring Allen back...though it seems unlikely.

I know, Pierce likes attention, but man, the guy delivers when it matters most. Lost in all of the hype of his 31 points, and Nate Robinson's spark-plug performance, is the fact that Pierce pulled down 13 rebounds. That, to me, was a huge factor in this game.

I don't know if you watched any of the post-game press conferences...but all the Celtics were very complimentary of the Magic. Pierce and Doc Rivers mentioned that they had talked, early in the season, that the Magic were the team they would have to beat to make it back to the finals. Kind of slap at the Cavs, I think...I think they are pretty confident that they can beat the Lakers or Suns.

Anyways, I really don't want to sound condescending, but, the Magic really are a strong team...despite the fact that they got eliminated, I think they are going to get better from this experience. I think they learned, in games 4 and 5, how they need to play to get where they want.

Don't get me wrong, the Celts earned this series...I'm not trying to take anything away from them.

KG has always had a problem with Dwight Howard, going back to Howard's rookie year when Garnett was still in Minn.

After his first game vs. Howard's idol, KG(which the Magic won BTW), some of the Magic veterans at the time tried to get KG to shake Howard's hand and talk to him, and he flat-out refused--and every game since, he treats Howard with such disrespect(the clubbing of Howard's arm twice on KG's second foul, plus the look on his face at the time, indicate an unfounded hatred for Howard that I just don't get).

As for Pierce...he's a great player, but some of the things he did in this series(like his wink and comments after game 2), and his flopping like he was shot by a cannon after every foul just rubs me the wrong way. Stuff like that should be beneath a player of his caliber.

Anyway, as I said before, good luck in the Finals as I enter the sports wasteland that is known as the time in between when the NBA ends and the NFL begins. :wallbash:

Don't get me wrong, the Celts earned this series...I'm not trying to take anything away from them.

KG has always had a problem with Dwight Howard, going back to Howard's rookie year when Garnett was still in Minn.

After his first game vs. Howard's idol, KG(which the Magic won BTW), some of the Magic veterans at the time tried to get KG to shake Howard's hand and talk to him, and he flat-out refused--and every game since, he treats Howard with such disrespect(the clubbing of Howard's arm twice on KG's second foul, plus the look on his face at the time, indicate an unfounded hatred for Howard that I just don't get).

As for Pierce...he's a great player, but some of the things he did in this series(like his wink and comments after game 2), and his flopping like he was shot by a cannon after every foul just rubbes me the wrong way. Stuff like that should be beneath a player of his caliber.

Anyway, as I said before, good luck in the Finals as I enter the sports wasteland that is known as the time in between when the NBA ends and the NFL begins. :wallbash:

I guess I wasn't aware of a long standing hatred of Howard, by Garnett. Not sure what that is, but, what I love about Garnett, he is real. I think he is bat **** crazy...his desire to win far outweighs his respect of opponents. If he doesn't want to shake a hand, so what? I thought the huge deal made last year, of Lebron James not shaking the Celtics hands, was absurd. I think many of the problems that athletes find themselves in, in general, is when they are required to do symbolic things that they don't want to do...or required to speak to reporters, when they don't feel like it.

As for Pierce, he is hardly the only NBA'er who flops...I think it is borne out of the realization that there is a "superstar" caste system...you have to get the refs attention sometimes. He doesn't really get all that many calls, considering his performances. Do you really think Pierce pushed JJ Reddeck that hard the other night, that he went about 15 feet across the court, and into the stands?

Either way, ever notice when Pierce goes down hard (and while he may have embelished some, Howard was pretty rough on him...Pierce wasn't faking the three finger scrapes across his forhead) it normally raises the level of his play, and sometimes his teammates?

I didn't like Pierce's "sweep" comment either. Who knows what the wink was all about? Perhaps just a show of vibrato?

You obviously watch the Magic more than I do, though, I am being very sincere when I say, they are one of the most entertaining teams for me to watch, after the Celtics. I love the style they play, I am a sucker for great shooting teams. But you know, until this series, I always had a sort of neuteural feeling about Dwight Howard. I always thought he was talented, but, a little too soft to be a truly great player. I won't be so presumptuous to think the Celtics made him a better player, but I don't think I ever saw him play as well as he did in games 4 & 5 of this series. He came to play, in game 6, but his teammates weren't as up to the task. If you saw Howards PC after the game, he looked really dejected, and a little more pissed off than I have ever seen him. I think this playoff series was a big stepping stone for him. It may suck this season, but he is going to be all that much more dominating next season.

I am sorry that the prospect of a Celtics/Lakers final is such a turn off. After the Magic thumped the Celtics in the ECF last season, it stung, but, I still watched the finals...and I so wanted the Magic to destroy the Lakers. I predict the Magic will be the next Eastern Conference team to win a championship, with a slight tweaking of their inside game. That old expression, "what makes us suffer makes us stronger" rings true, in this case, I think.

I guess I wasn't aware of a long standing hatred of Howard, by Garnett. Not sure what that is, but, what I love about Garnett, he is real. I think he is bat **** crazy...his desire to win far outweighs his respect of opponents. If he doesn't want to shake a hand, so what? I thought the huge deal made last year, of Lebron James not shaking the Celtics hands, was absurd. I think many of the problems that athletes find themselves in, in general, is when they are required to do symbolic things that they don't want to do...or required to speak to reporters, when they don't feel like it.

As for Pierce, he is hardly the only NBA'er who flops...I think it is borne out of the realization that there is a "superstar" caste system...you have to get the refs attention sometimes. He doesn't really get all that many calls, considering his performances. Do you really think Pierce pushed JJ Reddeck that hard the other night, that he went about 15 feet across the court, and into the stands?

Either way, ever notice when Pierce goes down hard (and while he may have embelished some, Howard was pretty rough on him...Pierce wasn't faking the three finger scrapes across his forhead) it normally raises the level of his play, and sometimes his teammates?

I didn't like Pierce's "sweep" comment either. Who knows what the wink was all about? Perhaps just a show of vibrato?

You obviously watch the Magic more than I do, though, I am being very sincere when I say, they are one of the most entertaining teams for me to watch, after the Celtics. I love the style they play, I am a sucker for great shooting teams. But you know, until this series, I always had a sort of neuteural feeling about Dwight Howard. I always thought he was talented, but, a little too soft to be a truly great player. I won't be so presumptuous to think the Celtics made him a better player, but I don't think I ever saw him play as well as he did in games 4 & 5 of this series. He came to play, in game 6, but his teammates weren't as up to the task. If you saw Howards PC after the game, he looked really dejected, and a little more pissed off than I have ever seen him. I think this playoff series was a big stepping stone for him. It may suck this season, but he is going to be all that much more dominating next season.

I am sorry that the prospect of a Celtics/Lakers final is such a turn off. After the Magic thumped the Celtics in the ECF last season, it stung, but, I still watched the finals...and I so wanted the Magic to destroy the Lakers. I predict the Magic will be the next Eastern Conference team to win a championship, with a slight tweaking of their inside game. That old expression, "what makes us suffer makes us stronger" rings true, in this case, I think.

That was very well said!

Congrats to Boston on making the finals, and enjoy the series! As much as I despise the Boston area, I will be rooting for them should the Lakers make it.

*would like to see Nash get one, though*

I think the best way to sum it up is the Celts play like grown men and the Magic seem like happy little kids. The Magic have a great future but they should get rid of Carter as soon as possible. He is a coward who won't help that team get better.

Either way, the Finals should be good. I'm still hoping for the Suns because I love the way that team plays together but if it is the Lakers, it should be a great battle. The NBA is back to being a top league again.

Somebody predicted (here on the board) that it would be a BOS-LAL Finals... Who may that be? Following perfectly to script! :)

The NBA is such a scam... If it wasn't for the irrelavant NHL and their funky ways, they'd (NBA) have cornered the market!

+100000000000000000

OK Buftex here we are...:)

Whatever happens...don't take it personally! The other night, when the Suns tied that game with a 3 pointer, 3.5 seconds on the clock, I was almost as happy as I would have been had it been the Celtics nailing a game winner at the buzzer...of course, as we all know...there was still 3.5 seconds left!

I think the Lakers and Celtics are both better, this year, than they were in 2008. This should be a great series...our bat **** crazy (Garnett) vs the Lakers' bat **** crazy (Artest)...

Whatever happens...don't take it personally! The other night, when the Suns tied that game with a 3 pointer, 3.5 seconds on the clock, I was almost as happy as I would have been had it been the Celtics nailing a game winner at the buzzer...of course, as we all know...there was still 3.5 seconds left!

I think the Lakers and Celtics are both better, this year, than they were in 2008. This should be a great series...our bat **** crazy (Garnett) vs the Lakers' bat **** crazy (Artest)...

No Buff.......it was ok when we were facing other teams but now you are my mortal fricken enemy

jk

Enjoy the first couple games of the Finals at least. They will be played legitimately. Fans like you guys deserve the off script stuff once in a while. It should be interesting and entertaining.

I still think it is very likely it will go 7, so if one team dominates the early games, there is a good chance they "come back to Earth" as the other gains momentum. Legitimate sports like Hockey, Football and Baseball are hard to predict so if it goes 7, anything can happen as they say. If it does go 7, I'd lean toward the team that looks better in games 1 & 2, unless there is an injury or suspension along the way.

Enjoy the first couple games of the Finals at least. They will be played legitimately. Fans like you guys deserve the off script stuff once in a while. It should be interesting and entertaining.

I still think it is very likely it will go 7, so if one team dominates the early games, there is a good chance they "come back to Earth" as the other gains momentum. Legitimate sports like Hockey, Football and Baseball are hard to predict so if it goes 7, anything can happen as they say. If it does go 7, I'd lean toward the team that looks better in games 1 & 2, unless there is an injury or suspension along the way.

Gee...way to go out on a limb...the only thing you are predicting is that it won't be a sweep...

Gee...way to go out on a limb...the only thing you are predicting is that it won't be a sweep...

Really? You're really going to say that my "predictions" haven't been specific enough? So predicting this series in February OF 2009 wasn't enough?

I understand how you must feel and you must have gone from denial to anger at some point here recently but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and elaborate. It is also possible that my words weren't clear enough.

Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross posited sequential stages of grief including denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance, which are commonly referred to as the "grief cycle."

The first two games of the Finals will be completely above board. As such, they could be close, they could be blowouts or they could be anything in between. Having not had a legitimate game in a while, it is probably reasonable to expect that the Lakers and Celtics might not be evenly matched. There is really no way of knowing until game 2 is complete. Let's say the Celts take a 2-0 and win each game by 10+. It would seem a sweep may be in order given that they'll be heading home for 3 games.

What I am saying is that this will not happen unless there is a major injury. Injuries in this series, if any, will be legitimate. There is probably a decent chance of one because of the new style of play. Tension may also be high, so a suspension could occur. There could be a fight.

If there is no suspension or injury I strongly feel it will go 7. It is the end of a major story line and needs to be milked. 6 games just doesn't make sense to me.

So here is what I'm saying: If the Celts win games 1&2 and look dominant, the Lakers will somehow manage to win 2 in Boston, probably games 3 & 5 plus game 6. They will seem to have Boston on the ropes. All of a sudden in game 7 Boston will dominate again. Of course the Lakers could be the dominant team just as easily and Boston would either sweep at home or stunningly take game 6. I hope and I'm sure the NBA hopes that the two teams are evenly matched. 7 games is 7 games but a nip and tuck series can be more entertaining than 3 blowouts and a few scripted games.

Also please remember that one of my predictions was that everything I said would come true and you would still not believe it.

Really? You're really going to say that my "predictions" haven't been specific enough? So predicting this series in February OF 2009 wasn't enough?

I understand how you must feel and you must have gone from denial to anger at some point here recently but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and elaborate. It is also possible that my words weren't clear enough.

The first two games of the Finals will be completely above board. As such, they could be close, they could be blowouts or they could be anything in between. Having not had a legitimate game in a while, it is probably reasonable to expect that the Lakers and Celtics might not be evenly matched. There is really no way of knowing until game 2 is complete. Let's say the Celts take a 2-0 and win each game by 10+. It would seem a sweep may be in order given that they'll be heading home for 3 games.

What I am saying is that this will not happen unless there is a major injury. Injuries in this series, if any, will be legitimate. There is probably a decent chance of one because of the new style of play. Tension may also be high, so a suspension could occur. There could be a fight.

If there is no suspension or injury I strongly feel it will go 7. It is the end of a major story line and needs to be milked. 6 games just doesn't make sense to me.

So here is what I'm saying: If the Celts win games 1&2 and look dominant, the Lakers will somehow manage to win 2 in Boston, probably games 3 & 5 plus game 6. They will seem to have Boston on the ropes. All of a sudden in game 7 Boston will dominate again. Of course the Lakers could be the dominant team just as easily and Boston would either sweep at home or stunningly take game 6. I hope and I'm sure the NBA hopes that the two teams are evenly matched. 7 games is 7 games but a nip and tuck series can be more entertaining than 3 blowouts and a few scripted games.

Also please remember that one of my predictions was that everything I said would come true and you would still not believe it.

So basically, you're either Jesus or Larry Bird?? ok......

Now Buff you said not to take this stuff personally......

This is Phils coaching style ya know..... <_<

Oh yeah, I know...pre-emptive whining about how the other team whines! It has taken him far! Offering his players $50 to take a charge? Really?