Why the Bills shouldn't trade for Campbell

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/4/6/1...sible#storyjump

Good article on why the Bills should not try and trade for Jason Campbell.

The article also gave good reasons why it would be smart to draft Campbell. I am ambivalent on the qb issue. Should we trade for Campbell or draft Clausen? If the Bills deal for JC prior to the draft then the draft strategy changes.

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read and that is saying a lot considering how much time I spend on this site.

The guy write how good Campbell is and how tough he is. He writes how Campbell is smart and has a great arm. He writes about how Campbell has been under pressure in Washington because of a terrible O-line and how he has had a new OC ever year. All of this praise and then finally makes his case for Campbell not being a good fit for Buffalo because his winning percentage as a starter was low.

It's a good read. I agree with the writer that Campbell is a QB that could lead you to the playoffs, but any farther than that is a huge question. IMO, if the Bills are going to rebuild this team the right way, I'd rather see them go after a guy that has the potiential to be a Superbowl caliber QB. Now whether it's Claussen, Tebow or another QB either in this years or in next years draft, that could possibly build up to being that superbowl caliber QB remains to be seen, but I have more trust in Nix than any other GM we had this past decade, so I feel he'll make the right decision regarding the QB position.

Good article, good points. But I'll take the opposite position. The Bills are more than 1 or 2 players away. We are talking at least two good drafts before they really get back into contention. IMO, they need to 1) put some pieces in place (like LT, D-line, LB); 2) start moving in the right direction as far as building a foundation for long-term success; and 3) play competitive and entertaining football this year. If they accomplish those thiings, it will be a good year. They have a much better chance of doing that with someone like Campbell at QB who has shown he has some talent, has been a starter and needs to be given a real chance.

I'm not saying Campbell is the long-term answer, but my bottom line is that Campbell has been looking over his shoulder for the past two seasons. The article makes the point he's 20-32 as a starter. So what, Clausen is 0-0 as an NFL starter and won't play much this year. Neither will any other rookie QB. If the Bills pickup Campbell, they have a viable starter for at least the next two years (possibly/hopefully longer). The article also says he won't win BIG in the NFL. Maybe I'm too skeptical, but I don't need the Bills to win BIG at this point. I just want them to win and be competive next year while they start plugging all the other holes they have.

A 4th round pick for Campbell does two things. It give the Bills someone who can come in and start. He couldn't be any worse than the three guys on the roster now, and by most accounts would be at least a marginal improvement and possibly has a huge upside. The Bills could also then appropriately use the No 9 and 41 picks for line help.

I've posted repeatedly I'm not a Clausen fan. The fact that a number of "offensive geniuses" like Shanahan and Holmgren appear to be backing off reinforces my gut feeling that despite the physical talents, he has an equally good chance of turning out to be a Ryan Leaf as opposed to a Peyton Manning. If fact, he seems to get compared more frequently to Leaf than he does Manning.

Here's hoping Bulaga somehow falls to No 9, but with Washington now apparently out of the QB market, that seems unlikely.

It's a good read. I agree with the writer that Campbell is a QB that could lead you to the playoffs, but any farther than that is a huge question. IMO, if the Bills are going to rebuild this team the right way, I'd rather see them go after a guy that has the potiential to be a Superbowl caliber QB. Now whether it's Claussen, Tebow or another QB either in this years or in next years draft, that could possibly build up to being that superbowl caliber QB remains to be seen, but I have more trust in Nix than any other GM we had this past decade, so I feel he'll make the right decision regarding the QB position.

I love how Buffalo fans are now picky. A good QB who can get us to the playoffs is not good enough. If we cannot get Peyton Manning, we shouldn't bother upgrading at all. Campbell is head and shoulders better than any QB we've had since Kelly. He might not be elite. But I'll take better than average. Its a huge step forward in the rebuilding process.

The whole discussion reminds me of the old phrase: Beggers can't be choosers.

We don't an NFL caliber starting QB on the roster currently. There is one available for a mid round draft pick. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I love how Buffalo fans are now picky. A good QB who can get us to the playoffs is not good enough. If we cannot get Peyton Manning, we shouldn't bother upgrading at all. Campbell is head and shoulders better than any QB we've had since Kelly. He might not be elite. But I'll take better than average. Its a huge step forward in the rebuilding process.

We don't an NFL caliber starting QB on the roster currently. There is one available for a mid round draft pick. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

After 10 years of missing the playoffs, would you just be happy to make the playoffs again? After the past decade of mismanagement, bad Bills teams etc..., Bills fans should demand a team that will go deep into the playoffs and not just be happy with getting to the playoffs. Yes, Campbell is better than the 3 QB's currently on the roster, but Bledsoe was better than the QB's we had on the roster when we traded for him as well. And how far did Bledsoe take the Bills?? Bledsoe took us to 9-7, losing the season finale to the Steelers backups which eliminated us from the playoffs.

After 10 years of missing the playoffs, would you just be happy to make the playoffs again? After the past decade of mismanagement, bad Bills teams etc..., Bills fans should demand a team that will go deep into the playoffs and not just be happy with getting to the playoffs. Yes, Campbell is better than the 3 QB's currently on the roster, but Bledsoe was better than the QB's we had on the roster when we traded for him as well. And how far did Bledsoe take the Bills?? Bledsoe took us to 9-7, losing the season finale to the Steelers backups which eliminated us from the playoffs.

Bold 1 -Um yes, next question...

Bold 2 - Why, id be happy with a winning record.

I do not mind Campbell. The best thing about a move like that is that the Bills can OL with both of their early picks.

Does anyone have the Bills current draft numbers obviously I know #9 and #41. Not to sure where we stand after that.

Yes, it would be great to get back to the playoffs, but you're right, after this long playoff drought, we should be more demanding. We've put up with sub-par/mediocre teams for 10 years and still sell-out the Ralph, so we should demand a serious contender in Buffalo. I miss having playoff games, especially AFC Championship games in Buffalo.

Yes, it would be great to get back to the playoffs, but you're right, after this long playoff drought, we should be more demanding. We've put up with sub-par/mediocre teams for 10 years and still sell-out the Ralph, so we should demand a serious contender in Buffalo. I miss having playoff games, especially AFC Championship games in Buffalo.

One thing is for sure, Nix & Gailey are sending up smoke signals that the franchise QB is currently not on the Bills roster.

The biggest red flags are that Shanahan didn't think there was enough there with Campbell to warrant developing him himself, and he's got fumbling issues. Then again, it appears the McNabb deal is for 1 year and the Skins aren't ready to compete for even the playoffs yet, so Shanahan's judgment may be off.

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read and that is saying a lot considering how much time I spend on this site.

The guy write how good Campbell is and how tough he is. He writes how Campbell is smart and has a great arm. He writes about how Campbell has been under pressure in Washington because of a terrible O-line and how he has had a new OC ever year. All of this praise and then finally makes his case for Campbell not being a good fit for Buffalo because his winning percentage as a starter was low.

Exactly. all the guy did was make a case FOR trading for campbell.

The whole premise of his argument is Jason Campbell's "record." Newsflash: he ain't a starting pitcher. Football is a team game. God I hate the QB win-loss record stat ...

Agree 100%. I'd like to see Campbell's stats on downfield attempts vs. checkdowns, or how many different receivers he throws to in a normal game. Of course, those stats could be misleading, too (see any QB who's had Randy Moss to throw to), but they'd be more valuable than a simple W-L record.

Funny thing ,after reading the piece I think the Bills would be smart to go after Campbell.

I think he would be a good fit here, and he would not cost us a high draft pick, I would give up a 4th round pick plus maybe Whitner.

Get R Done Buddy :blink:

Bledsoe was a better quarterback than Cambell. I'm sorry, but I watched him play. There is a reason that Washington has been so desperate to find a replacement. Don't forget that Washington was worse than the Bills.

Washington has a new coach and that usually means getting a new "guy" at the QB position, if it is not solid. I wonder what this kid would be like if he had an offensive coordinator for more than a season at a time, was not considered a lame duck playing for a lame duck HC and actually was given a vote of confidence, which he hasn't had since college.

I laugh at a lot of crap here when people say this player and that player suck. The bottom line is: is player x or player y an upgrade? If so, then you make a move, then supplement your FA signings in the draft. JC would be an upgrade at QB. Flozell Adams would be an upgrade at RT. Sign both, draft a LT (if one available) or a NT at 9, then get line depth in the later rounds. Hell, I'd even draft Tebow in the 2nd, put him behind Campbell and maybe Fitz for a year. The kid is a competitor.

This isn't an exact science, but we can take steps to get a lot better. Our defense was actually not so bad last year and they kept us in games to the 4th quarter. If we can get some offensive consistency, it will make the defense even better.

I guess I get sick of hearing this player is crap or that player is crap when you have to look at a lot more than just wins and losses. Get Jason Campbell, tell him he's the man and see what happens. Give the kid a stable environment and tools to work through the draft (with o-line priority #1).

Yes, in 2010 I would be ecstatic if the Bills just made the playoffs. You're kidding yourself if you think that given their current talent level when compared to the other three teams in the AFC East that they are anything more than a longshot to finish higher than 3rd in the division, let alone seriously competing for a playoff spot.

Like ALL Bills fans, I'm sick about the 10-year playoff drought. But there is no magic cure for 10 years of bad decisions and poor talent evaluation. They need to rebuild through the draft, and upgrade when they can through JUDICIOUS veteran acquistions. If they can get Campbell on the cheap, it's worth the risk and IMO an upgrade over what they have while they figure out what to do long term at the QB position. (Even if they draft Clausen, he does NOTHING to improve them in 2010!)

Comparing the potential acqusition of Campbell to Bledsoe is apples and oranges. That Bills squad still had legitimate playoff (not Super Bowl) potential. Bledsoe almost got them there ( I realize key word is almost!!). This Bills squad is rightfully ranked in the bottom 10 teams in the league. Until the lines are restocked, and until the new defense takes hold, the QB position in the short-term is a secondary issue. Given the current talent level on the lines (including the the lack of tight end production), even if you put Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger or Phillip Rivers at QB for the Bills, they probably wouldn't be much better than 8-8 or 9-7.

Washington has a new coach and that usually means getting a new "guy" at the QB position, if it is not solid. I wonder what this kid would be like if he had an offensive coordinator for more than a season at a time, was not considered a lame duck playing for a lame duck HC and actually was given a vote of confidence, which he hasn't had since college.

I laugh at a lot of crap here when people say this player and that player suck. The bottom line is: is player x or player y an upgrade? If so, then you make a move, then supplement your FA signings in the draft. JC would be an upgrade at QB. Flozell Adams would be an upgrade at RT. Sign both, draft a LT (if one available) or a NT at 9, then get line depth in the later rounds. Hell, I'd even draft Tebow in the 2nd, put him behind Campbell and maybe Fitz for a year. The kid is a competitor.

This isn't an exact science, but we can take steps to get a lot better. Our defense was actually not so bad last year and they kept us in games to the 4th quarter. If we can get some offensive consistency, it will make the defense even better.

I guess I get sick of hearing this player is crap or that player is crap when you have to look at a lot more than just wins and losses. Get Jason Campbell, tell him he's the man and see what happens. Give the kid a stable environment and tools to work through the draft (with o-line priority #1).

The same could be said of Trent Edwards, and he didn't miss short passes.

I agree that Campbell has class and is easy to root for, and I wouldn't be terribly upset to see him here, but I wouldn't be the least bit excited about it

For the guys who look at his stats and think you know something about him you might want to compare the stats of Rob Johnson and Doug Flutie. RJ had the better rating, Flutie won. The point being: stats only tell you half the story.

The guy has some talent, but he's not a game changer. I said on an earlier thread that the best run the Redskins have had during Campbells time as the starter came when he was injured and Todd Collins started.

Guest dog14787

He's big, mobile, has a good head on his shoulders - i.e. it's not often that he's rattled,

Statements like that cause me to question the articles accuracy because Campbell does rattle easily, he doesn't read defenses well and has made costly mistakes at critical times of the game on numerous occasions that ended up costing his team the ball game.

I also think Campbell has had much better supporting cast then our QB's have had recently and still failed to produce good results in the win/loss column. Some QB's improvise well when a play breaks down and some don't, Campbell gets flustered way to easily and more often then not the play ends up being a negative one.

There's a reason the Redskins want Jason Campbell out of Washington.

Guest dog14787
After watching Redskins games with my brother, who is a Washington fan, I would rather have Todd Collins. The Bills could start him and develop a quarterback behind him. The Bills would win more games than with Jason Cambell.

I totally agree,

Whether they would view Campbell as a longterm solution doesn't matter. If they can obtain him in a fair trade I can't see why they wouldn't. They've all but stated they don't think much of the three they've got. Even if they think we're a couple/few years away they still want to try and win football games now. At this point they don't know if they will be able to draft a QB that they have their eye on and if they do if he'll be ready to play right away. So why wouldnt they want to aquire a guy they thinks gives them a shot at winning games?

Sometimes I read things that just make me scratch my head....

- First the writer gives several reasons on why Jason Campbell COULD be a good NFL QB.....then says dont do it because he has a low winning percentage.

- Winning percentage comes from such a great number of things.......when it comes to a QB what was his protection like? What were the quality of his weapons? What was the quality of his offensive coordinator

In Jason Campbell you have a QB who has continued to improve even though Snyder changes that team up like a new set of golf clubs every year......

I would take a flyer on him

The Bills could do a hell of a lot worse than Campbell...Just look at their current Roster of QB's...If all it's going to cost is a mid-Late Round Draft Pick to get him...I can't see why The Bills would not at least try...At the very least it would make the competition at QB that much better...

It's up to Gailey though...If he does not think Campbell is his type of QB then this speculation is all a waste of time... :blink:

Campbell for a R5 pick would be a steal for us.

He would make us better immediately.

Maybe Gailey can work some magic with him like he did K. Stewart.

The Bills can still draft a QB in R2 or R3.

They should trade down in R1, acquire at least an additional R2 pick (plus maybe a R4 pick), then do the following:

R1 - Best OT available

R2a - Best NT available

R2b - Best LB available

R3 - Best OL available

R4a - Best DL available

R4b - Best WR available

R5 - Trade for QB J. Campbell

R6 - Best TE available

R6 - Best QB available

R7 - Best RB available

R7 - Best LB available.

Tell me something how can you determine whether a QB has potential SUPERBOWL CALIBER. Please inform us as a matter of fact inform the other 30 teams in the leaugue thayt dient make it tot he superbow last year. What tangibles determine whether or not they are Superbowl Caliber. I love how veryone keeps talking draft one of these QBS in the first round this year that arent even 1st round worth they only are becuase theres noone better then them in this QB class. Its a joke you dismiss a players who has proven to get better statistically each year, you route for the plyaer who has declined each year and want the QB whos never thrown a pass in the NFL and believe they are going to be the saviors. Really? look at the history more qbs have failed then they have succeeded, other qbs did better when they went to a different team. I for one would prefer Jason Campbell over anyone in this years draft. Not only because he is NFL ready but becuase hes going to have that huge chip on his shouler to prove to washington that they made an error not allowing him to be the starter.

Let's hope you aren't inferring that Campbell is "a good QB who can get us to the playoffs".

He's big, mobile, has a good head on his shoulders - i.e. it's not often that he's rattled,

Statements like that cause me to question the articles accuracy because Campbell does rattle easily, he doesn't read defenses well and has made costly mistakes at critical times of the game on numerous occasions that ended up costing his team the ball game.

I also think Campbell has had much better supporting cast then our QB's have had recently and still failed to produce good results in the win/loss column. Some QB's improvise well when a play breaks down and some don't, Campbell gets flustered way to easily and more often then not the play ends up being a negative one.

There's a reason the Redskins want Jason Campbell out of Washington.

Yes but 10,000 other starry-eyed posters think he is head and shoulders above the current 3 QB's and will lead the Bills to the playoffs, despite having been to said playoffs, exactly zero (0) times.

I had the same sensation as you did after I read the link. I left scratching my head not about Campbell but about the author of the article. You can describe his position as "speaking out of both sides of his mouth."

I know I am going to catch flak for this and I really am not meaning any ill intent at all.....just asking the question.

Has Buffalo every had a starting African American quarterback?

Oh jeez....you are a friggin' GLUTTON for punishment, aren't you?

I know I am going to catch flak for this and I really am not meaning any ill intent at all.....just asking the question.

Has Buffalo every had a starting African American quarterback?

Yes, James Harris from Grambling. He may have had a better arm than Joe Namath. Marlon Briscoe also had a short stint starting for the Bills.

Let's hope you aren't inferring that Campbell is "a good QB who can get us to the playoffs".

Can you provide some empirical evidence to support your conclusion or should I just take your word for it?

I look at a 4yr NFL starting QB who has put up solid stats and who has improved every year despite numerous coaching staff changes and personnel changes around him. I see a hard working kid, who by all accounts is intelligent and has never been in any sort of trouble. I see a QB who is just entering his prime at 28 and who is athletic and durable.

Sounds pretty good to me. But you made such a compelling argument.....